• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Official Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1y-nQLnLF4

If you didn't know, it's starring Smallville's Kristen Kreuk (Lana Lang) as Chun-Li., and Michael Clarke Duncan (The Green Mile, Daredevil, etc.) as Balrog.

Lets see...by the looks of it, I...wasn't really all that impressed. Not only are there barely any characters in it, but there's no Ryu, Ken, or Akuma. I'm sorry but the Shotokan fighters are the heart and soul of the Street Fighter series.

Still, I'll go and see it. Hell, I know it's gonna be better than that Dragonball Evolution crap...
Besides, Kristen Kreuk has always been great epic eye-candy. ^^

-------------------

Also, here's the wikipedia link for more information. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Chun-Li

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
Wow, that is really gross. Why is it that Street Fighter is no longer about Street Fighting? That's all I have to say on the topic.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Wow, that is really gross. Why is it that Street Fighter is no longer about Street Fighting? That's all I have to say on the topic.
Hmmmm....what do you mean specifically by that?

Also, why is M. Bison not in his traditional outfit like how Vega is? (he's got the claw and cool assassination mask)

Although, I must say it is freaking 2009. C'mon now Hollywood! You can do 10X better than this! Why oh why does a movie based on anime/video games have to always be so terrible?!?

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
I don't know. It has such a "omg I want to be a blockbuster hit" feel to the whole movie. Since when was there such a massive storyline behind Chun Li that you could make a movie about her? Since when did any character have such a storyline in Street Fighter? It was supposed to be a tournament thing where they fought and then they win. I just don't like it when people go and make movies like this on thing's I enjoyed so much just the way they were. Also the way some characters, as you pointed out, look nothing like what they really do and others are left out all together, just makes me dislike the whole thing even more.
Vega was always my fav. simply because of how he looked. I thought he was just the coolest.
(Ha, I just noticed it's you.)

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I don't know. It has such a "omg I want to be a blockbuster hit" feel to the whole movie. Since when was there such a massive storyline behind Chun Li that you could make a movie about her? Since when did any character have such a storyline in Street Fighter? It was supposed to be a tournament thing where they fought and then they win. I just don't like it when people go and make movies like this on thing's I enjoyed so much just the way they were. Also the way some characters, as you pointed out, look nothing like what they really do and others are left out all together, just makes me dislike the whole thing even more.
Vega was always my fav. simply because of how he looked. I thought he was just the coolest.
I guess Capcom feels that since Chun-Li's like one of the very female protagonists ever that they need to make a movie especially for her, and for her alone. I respect that; however, make it theater worthy. The movie that was shown in the trailer looks like something that would go straight to DVD/Blu Ray. What was the budget of the movie...$10,000?

Tsk tsk tsk.

HA HA! Yeah. Vega looked cool doing that spiny thingy. XD

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
Actually...I would've probably given it a shot if it was one of those straight to dvd low budget films. That's a great point that I just realized is my problem with alot of movies. They half @$$ somthing that shouldn't be done so. You either go all the way or just drop it if you plan on making a big theater release, especially somthing like this where you know the major demographic is the fans of the original context.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Actually...I would've probably given it a shot if it was one of those straight to dvd low budget films. That's a great point that I just realized is my problem with alot of movies. They half @$$ somthing that shouldn't be done so. You either go all the way or just drop it if you plan on making a big theater release, especially somthing like this where you know the major demographic is the fans of the original context.
Hey, check out what I said to one of those guys in the "Dragonball Evolution" thread. You know I'm right. ^^

Ah hem! Anyways, you're absolutely correct bromigo. I mean, Street Fighter is known about by everyone pretty much around the world especially here in the states. Even after a good 10 years of not getting a new game it is still not forgotten.

My point is they made a sucktacular Street Fighter movie in the 90's that was just terrible. Now they had (past tense) a chance to say I'm sorry to all the fans by making a revamped cooler movie. They failed in every which way.

The furosious robot has left

Smash Journeyman
I saw this on zipperfish a little while ago.
If it is by the same people who made the first street fighter movie, than I am just going to not watch Movies for a while.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Chun Li's has a pretty big storyline... not as big as some of the other characters, but still, one of the more involved storylines in the series; she has a moderately big role in both Street Fighter Alpha and SFII. Also, her storyline is easier to find out than other characters (like, say, Sagat... does anyone really know he stopped being a villain after Street Fighter Alpha?).

I haven't read the SF comics and haven't played much Alpha, but from what I remember, the important characters from Chun Li's storyline (Gen, Charlie, and possibly Cammy, I'm not entirely sure) are all there.

Street Fighter's storyline is surprisingly involved, but presented badly; it's almost impossible to find out the full storyline from actually playing the games.

That said, I've kind of learned not to be that optimistic when it comes to movies like this...

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Street Fighter has a HUGE background story to it. "Just a tournament" describes...like...Tekken. (Even then...it's got a good story to it, too.) Mortal Kombat even falls under that category. (That storyline...has plot holes.) Street Fighter always had a good story to it. Then they fleshed it out in the comics. Chun Li got her own book. (I'm guessing...and hoping it's at least based off that?) Which got great reviews. Sakura, although a bit more...comical, had her own thing. Yes, it's true that Ken and Ryu should have been in it, since both of them are a part of her past and story. It...I dunno...it looks kind of bad...to say the least. I'm not impressed with it.

Oh, and I think "just a Tournament" would be Virtua Fighter...xD

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Agreed. The most fleshed-out story of the fighting games is easily Soul Calibur, however.

See, THAT movie would be amazing.

With Rosie O' Donnel as Astaroth!
Now THAT, my friend, is hilarious, xD I think that Soul Cal does have a great story. it's just that I guess SF has more...play on it. *shrugs* Oh well...I agree that'd be an amazing movie.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Agreed. The most fleshed-out story of the fighting games is easily Soul Calibur, however.

See, THAT movie would be amazing.

With Rosie O' Donnel as Astaroth!
Mortal Kombat has a pretty complex storyline as well, but it's just so complicated that it's ridiculously confusing at times.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Mortal Kombat has a pretty complex storyline as well, but it's just so complicated that it's ridiculously confusing at times.
In Mortal Kombat, everyone comes back to life by some absurd means, especially storyline characters.

Except Johnny Cage- nobody likes Johnny Cage. That's why his last name doesn't start with a K.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
In Mortal Kombat, everyone comes back to life by some absurd means, especially storyline characters.

Except Johnny Cage- nobody likes Johnny Cage. That's why his last name doesn't start with a K.
If his last name started with a K, it would be the Japanese word Kage, which means shadow...

smashbot226

Smash Master
Exactly, that would only make him cooler than he already was (Which was very uncool.)

Instead, they named him after something you keep captivities in.

Examples:

Cabal = meh.

Kabal = MEEHHHH!~

Besides, Cage has no DISCERN-ABLE special ability, unless you count Green Energy as an ability.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Looking forward to playing a drinking or smoking game to this, just like I did with the Dead or Alive movie.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
The DOA drinking game was pretty brutal. You are supposed to play it with beer, but we only had coke and rum, so we went with that. You had to take a drink whenever one of the following happened:
- Somebody did something physically impossible
- Somebody was invited to DOA Island
- There was perv camera work
- Anytime you saw a computer monitor
- Anytime you saw a bikini

And you had to chug during slow-mo scenes. About 10 minutes into the movie you'll be drunk out of your mind.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace

I think a lot of characters stayed dead until Armageddon, where they brought back a ridiculous amount of characters in order to get everyone as a character in the game. Other than that, a lot of characters died in between Deadly Alliance and Deception and were brought back after Deception, but that was given an... adequate in game description.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Well...here's the thing....since Johnny Cage has a SHADOW kick as his ability that would have worked. Problem is...Mortal Kombat isn't a Japanese fighter. It's an American fighter....which is easy to pick up and even easier to master. It has a rather paper thin storyline that IS based around a tournament. (Street fighter's storyline moved outside of it. Sign of an ACTUAL story, xD) Not to knock it...but I see the storyline and it's...well...blegh. I think MK might have a better story...if they made an attempt to flesh it out some. It just seems so....boring. It never confused me...even as a child, I just never found it to be that captivating.

Street Fighter's story was something that was fleshed out. Plus, we have a great company, Udon, that continues to make great waves with the company to further it. They do all the conversing with Japan, and Japan gives them the thumbs up whenever they like it. (Which is why what they do is official story, xD)

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Well...here's the thing....since Johnny Cage has a SHADOW kick as his ability that would have worked. Problem is...Mortal Kombat isn't a Japanese fighter. It's an American fighter....which is easy to pick up and even easier to master. It has a rather paper thin storyline that IS based around a tournament. (Street fighter's storyline moved outside of it. Sign of an ACTUAL story, xD) Not to knock it...but I see the storyline and it's...well...blegh. I think MK might have a better story...if they made an attempt to flesh it out some. It just seems so....boring. It never confused me...even as a child, I just never found it to be that captivating.

Street Fighter's story was something that was fleshed out. Plus, we have a great company, Udon, that continues to make great waves with the company to further it. They do all the conversing with Japan, and Japan gives them the thumbs up whenever they like it. (Which is why what they do is official story, xD)
Well, that bit about Mortal Kombat's storyline isn't exactly true (only the first game is actually based around the tournament, and the series has since moved more towards being about a war between realms, usurpers, etc), and, while Street Fighter's story is far beyond the tournament arc, it still has the misfortune of being extremely hard to find out by playing the games.

Anyway, I don't see how this turned into a competition between fighting game storylines... I've always thought Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat are both examples of actually pretty good storylines that are constantly misunderstood thanks to fighting game storylines having a bad reputation, due to, again, the story being hard to know about without looking outside the games.

On the topic of the thread, I saw the commercial for the movie today... and it looked... generic. It's advertised nearly the same way every action movie is these days, which makes me doubt that this isn't going to be... well... generic.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
i say its gonna blow, im sure in the movie she gonna have a love intrest, then the villian will kidnap one of her loved ones but im still gonna see just to see if im right

RyuKen!

Smash Apprentice
i say its gonna blow, im sure in the movie she gonna have a love intrest, then the villian will kidnap one of her loved ones but im still gonna see just to see if im right
I'll say you right, bet it be worser then the last street fighter live action movie, its like why the f**k does characters have guns.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Jackie Chan is a way better Chunli. This scene alone is better than all SF combined.
Jackie Chun Li.
OMG, this made me LOL so hard.

This should be sigged. Seriously....I feel that way about most movies today. (Hence why I watch anime. Even though some stuff is predictable, the good ones make you go: o_o I did NOT sse that coming.) It seems like every movie I see I'm able to predict the outcome.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
So, the movie came about a week or so ago...

By reading the story line summary on Wikipedia I can tell that it was apparently painfully generic, but I didn't see it myself.

Any thoughts?

Top Bottom