• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Strategies Against MK

Stash23

Smash Rookie
Obviously, everyone has been told that Pit's worse match-up is a MK (Meta-Knight). My question is, has anyone discovered a strategy to use against one? Quick replies are much appreciated.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I found G&W to be far harder then MK, but I know where you're coming from. MK is a fast character and to be completely honest, I doubt you'll fight many people with exceptional mindgames with MK. Learning proper spacing against MK in particular I feel is the best advice I can give.

lmnz

Smash Apprentice
i have a few change ups in my play when i'm playing against MK but i'm still experiementing so maybe i'll come post against once i fully develope my anti-MK style. =]

Stash23

Smash Rookie
Awesome, thanks guys for the quick replies. I hope more can contribute and we can uncover something new.

Metal_Dave

Smash Journeyman
From what I've seen it's a pretty messy match-up. And spacing does play a big part in the match-up just like most of MK's match-ups. I'm also trying to study more about this particular match-up though since I myself play Ganon & MK and struggle alot against Pit players.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
important things to remember are that MK's tornado can be cancelled by an arrow and his drill has some start up lag which can be taken advantage of, or if you aren't in the right place you can at least cancel it with a quick arrow, also his f smash has pretty short range, but is one of his few kill moves hmmm, i should make a list of his kill moves or if a MK mainer would do it that would be nice, cause i am a lazy kid

lmnz

Smash Apprentice
played one of the best MKs in socal today. all i gotta say is switch characters... even DSF came up behind me saying pit has no hope in this match up lol. sorry~

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
played one of the best MKs in socal today. all i gotta say is switch characters... even DSF came up behind me saying pit has no hope in this match up lol. sorry~
quote this for truth... pit has no shot in this match up.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Don't give up. This fight is very possible.

Metaknight's four KO moves are: F-smash, N-air, up-B, and D-smash.
The F-smash is slow coming out, he'll only use it in tech chases.

N-air is like Jigglypuff's rest. He has to be at point blank for it to work. There's no way he can combo in to it. The times he'll use this is when you mistime an airdodge.

The up-B being his recovery move means he's very vulnerable if missed. He can use it out of shield, but the the range in front of him isn't very far. If you're in the air, and he's coming after you from below, fast fall first and air dodge just when he's in range. If he does the up-B, he misses. If he doesn't do the up-B, your fast fall should get you out of range anyway.

His D-smash is his easiest to land KO move, and it's also his weakest. He won't be able to KO you with it until over the 100% mark. F-tilt, and weaving in and out D-airs can avoid Metaknight's out of shield D-smash.

Don't try to edgeguard him, it doesn't matter since his light weight will get him KOd quickly.
He's capable of gliding twice, and him attacking won't cost him any distance for his recovery. You won't be able to successfully jump out and attack him. Take advantage of the situation by shooting as many arrows as possible.

His specials are punishable
The N-air cancels Metaknight's Mach Tornado, and even goes through it. The F-tilt and D-smash can do this as well.

His other specials as you know are simple to counter if you shield them.

Metaknight's biggest weakness
Out of shield smashes are your friends. Metaknight's has an enormous lack of shield knockback for all his attacks. There's enough lag after any of his tilts, aerials, and smashes where you can drop your shield and F-smash him.

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
no match up is ever impossible...especially when compared to pit and meta knight. Meta knight is only his toughest match up because he stands the best chance against pit. Quick attacks, good recovery, good air game, he is everything pit is except for a few moves. You gotta take advantage of your light arrows. At long distance, you will dominate obviously, mk has no projectiles. Your arrows can pretty much hit him anywhere across the stage. The arrows also stop his tornado, n air does great against his tornado as well, or you can always mirror shield it if he is coming in front of you. If you are chasing him in the air, your best move will be n air or up air. They are instant and get good hits in, F air is way to slow against MK and sweet spoting back air is to hard cause mk is just hacking away constantly. Pit defiantly has the advantage when attacking out shields. His aaa combo and f smash come out extremely fast, punish mk with those

lmnz

Smash Apprentice
no match up is ever impossible...especially when compared to pit and meta knight. Meta knight is only his toughest match up because he stands the best chance against pit. Quick attacks, good recovery, good air game, he is everything pit is except for a few moves. You gotta take advantage of your light arrows. At long distance, you will dominate obviously, mk has no projectiles. Your arrows can pretty much hit him anywhere across the stage. The arrows also stop his tornado, n air does great against his tornado as well, or you can always mirror shield it if he is coming in front of you. If you are chasing him in the air, your best move will be n air or up air. They are instant and get good hits in, F air is way to slow against MK and sweet spoting back air is to hard cause mk is just hacking away constantly. Pit defiantly has the advantage when attacking out shields. His aaa combo and f smash come out extremely fast, punish mk with those
do you have some sort of footage to show us. i really really want to see a pit dominate a high level mk.. i mean it's not like i want to switch... but there's just little to no chance for pit to win right now =/. hopefully the metagame changes in favor of pit.

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
if you're just going to keep saying that pit has no chance at winning then why bother posting...you're supposed to be helping the guy, not making things worse, there far more worse match ups then pit vs meta knight.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
There's nothing wrong with admitting when you can't do something. But you do need to be able to give reasons why. I showed how Pit can still have a chance, lmnz on the other hand has only said, "I can't do it." Can you give reasons as to why this is, and why it should be true for everyone else?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
MK, being best against Pit!? I object to such nonesense! I'll rid of any MK i face and Pit is goin to do it! This would force me to be aggressive, as always. Now, if he cant get the job done, then my Zelda, DK, and Bowser will.

lmnz

Smash Apprentice
if you're just going to keep saying that pit has no chance at winning then why bother posting...you're supposed to be helping the guy, not making things worse, there far more worse match ups then pit vs meta knight.
wow all i wanted was to see a match where a good pit plays a good mk and wins because "I" think metaknight counters pit right now. so maybe i can learn off your video and change my mind about the match up.

There's nothing wrong with admitting when you can't do something. But you do need to be able to give reasons why. I showed how Pit can still have a chance, lmnz on the other hand has only said, "I can't do it." Can you give reasons as to why this is, and why it should be true for everyone else?
i'm not saying every MK ***** me. i even said there's "little to no chance" and i WANT pit to beat metaknights but every tip i see against metaknights haven't worked for me at all against high level players.

so.. here's my experiences using these tips and to why i think this way right now.

The up-B being his recovery move means he's very vulnerable if missed. He can use it out of shield, but the the range in front of him isn't very far. If you're in the air, and he's coming after you from below, fast fall first and air dodge just when he's in range. If he does the up-B, he misses. If he doesn't do the up-B, your fast fall should get you out of range anyway.
this only works if the metaknight uses his up+b whenever you're over him which isn't the case when they know you'll air dodge. you're also at a disadvantage trying to air dodge this(not saying it's stupid to do it but it's not in pit's favor) since the up+b goes up SO fast that you have to predict it. if you try to air dodge when you see/hear the up+b you'll get hit almost all the time. this also owns pits glide recovery and any sort of positioning you're trying to pull off above MK.

His D-smash is his easiest to land KO move, and it's also his weakest. He won't be able to KO you with it until over the 100% mark. F-tilt, and weaving in and out D-airs can avoid Metaknight's out of shield D-smash.
his tilts out of shield are fast enough to tick a d-smash. also his d-smash out of roll can catch you before your lag ends(i think mk has one of the fastest rolls i'm not sure.)

His specials are punishable
The N-air cancels Metaknight's Mach Tornado, and even goes through it. The F-tilt and D-smash can do this as well.
this is one of those things that are just easier said than done. unless the MK is spamming it. it's not always easy to see this coming and also he can stop it early away from you if he sees that you're getting ready to stuff it down. it's definitely one of his moves that are easy to avoid when you see it but then again it's one of the moves he doesn't really have to use to win.

Metaknight's biggest weakness
Out of shield smashes are your friends. Metaknight's has an enormous lack of shield knockback for all his attacks. There's enough lag after any of his tilts, aerials, and smashes where you can drop your shield and F-smash him.
mm MK players almost always tilt at full range and none of pit's ground moves can cover as much distance(except maybe AR out of shield. i'm trying to test this out)
as for his aerials. if they fast fall and shield right away. none of your smashes can hit him and your grab can't reach him. your jabs can SOMETIMES get through but that's about it but the jab out of shield can be easily avoided by them by just weaving out.
agreed with the smashes though.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
i'm not saying every MK ***** me. i even said there's "little to no chance" and i WANT pit to beat metaknights but every tip i see against metaknights haven't worked for me at all against high level players.
I wasn't trying to put word into your mouth. I was just saying why I wanted to hear your reasoning. Now that you're giving it, I can have a good discussion, thank you.

this only works if the metaknight uses his up+b whenever you're over him which isn't the case when they know you'll air dodge. you're also at a disadvantage trying to air dodge this(not saying it's stupid to do it but it's not in pit's favor) since the up+b goes up SO fast that you have to predict it. if you try to air dodge when you see/hear the up+b you'll get hit almost all the time. this also owns pits glide recovery and any sort of positioning you're trying to pull off above MK.
You don't try to air dodge when you see the move. You air dodge the moment where he could hit you if he wanted to. I've heard from MK players talking about how their friends they play all the time are always able to avoid their up-B.

his tilts out of shield are fast enough to tick a d-smash. also his d-smash out of roll can catch you before your lag ends(i think mk has one of the fastest rolls i'm not sure.)
That's why I said to use attacks that put MK out of range. The short hop D-air, and F-tilt are good choices.

this is one of those things that are just easier said than done. unless the MK is spamming it. it's not always easy to see this coming and also he can stop it early away from you if he sees that you're getting ready to stuff it down. it's definitely one of his moves that are easy to avoid when you see it but then again it's one of the moves he doesn't really have to use to win.
You can't use difficulty as a reason. People said it about wavedashing when it was first discovered, but look at what people have done with it given enough time.

mm MK players almost always tilt at full range and none of pit's ground moves can cover as much distance(except maybe AR out of shield. i'm trying to test this out)
as for his aerials. if they fast fall and shield right away. none of your smashes can hit him and your grab can't reach him. your jabs can SOMETIMES get through but that's about it but the jab out of shield can be easily avoided by them by just weaving out.
agreed with the smashes though.
If he's able to space correctly, you need to ruin it for him. Take time to approach him, and dash and shield. Are you sure it's impossible to F-smash a fastfalled aerial? I thought there was a timing that would work, but I'll test it again.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
not sure if nayones though of this, but if the mkattempts to get back on ths stage using his >b you can always mirror shield that, he can normally DI back to the stage, but it leaves him very very openfor any attack pretty much

Darkalo

Smash Rookie
I honestly find comments like its impossible to be completly ridiculous. There is no way that specific characters are impossible for any other specific character to beat. The ability of the players involved, with a bit of luck are most important, not the bloody character. If a baby was holding a controller and was MK would you still say beating MK is impossible? Just because some other guy using him is better than you are at using Pit does not mean anything other than the fact that you should acknowledge you just aren't good enough to win against that particular person. I have beaten dozens of MK's, and lost to a couple as well. Just get better, plain and simple.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
mk tends to **** pit while he is trying to get back to the stage mainly with f air, well if you mirror shield his f air he is turned around and is left open while he finishes his last two strikes from his f air, good time to throw in your own f air or get to the ledge.

Top Bottom