• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Strategical application of Kirby's Nair

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
Let's face it, Kirby's nair is the best move in the game. Unfortunately, people don't realize this. We as Kirby players must find ways to make use of Kirby's awesomeness that is the nair.

I always find the obligatory SHFFL'd nair as an edgeguard shows off his supreme ability, but I know this is not enough. We need more ideas!

IC3R

Smash Lord
I like to use the Twinkle Star (Nair) to ruin some characters' recovery. It basically steals the second jump from the foe when used correctly. This work especially well when Fox or Falco are charging the FireFox/Bird, Nair, and watch them fall to their doom. It's another option other than the Drill Kick (Dair), which can be Meteor-cancelled. Nair + FFer = :skull:. But that's for Air-Guarding, which is Kirby's time to shine like a star.

Shuffled Nairs are also fun: relativly low startup + minimal landing lag = Good move IMO :) Shuffled Nair -> Whatever...

CopyCat

Smash Journeyman
Kirby's nair seems to be underused by some players, but I like to use the nair> up tilt. This helps to set up combos for me.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I just can't bring myself to use kirbys nair. Everytime I do...I feel like I'm saying, "Please hit me!". I like priority and range :(.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Favoritism. lol.

I'll tell ya what.

Come up with a situation where n.air is the BEST option, and ill be sure to start using it. >.>

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
i used it on a falco recovering over the edge with phantasm. knocked him just underneath the ledge doing up-b where i followed and pursued with a dair.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

Come up with a situation where n.air is the BEST option, and ill be sure to start using it. >.>
See the above post. N-air works suprisingly well against Phantasm/Illusion, but not in every instance. I use it right before Fox or Falco might use Smash-B - and if they don't, fast-falling into an L-cancel is quick enough to allow you to then move onto another edge guard option, such as d-smash.

N-air is also good as sort of a quick, light hit which can either lead to another attack (such as U-tilt mentioned by Copy Cat), but it can also work as "filler" in a combo. Using a N-air after knocking an opponent into the air can distrupt your opponent if they're DIing either for a juggle or for a stronger hit. When they drop back down in front of you, the N-air has little lag and you can go for jabs, tilts, and grabs.

I also like to use N-air as "area control". Although it has low priority, it's almost as big as Kirby's entire body and it can have a hit box for up to 24 frames. This lets me use it above and/or in front of someone to "guard" that area, especially when I predict ahead of time that they want to move into that area. Kirby's floatiness combined with the ability to fast fall it quickly with little lag can let me "drop" it onto people's heads because it doesn't look threatning. Full Jumping for this works best.

What n-air doesn't have is range and power, which are the two qualities of an attack that people deem most important, and thus overlook any other use for "bad" attacks. (The exception to this is that it seems to have some sort of odd priority over Falcon. Try it out and see, it can often get through The Knee - but don't over use it).

In the end, Twinkle Star is best reserved for players who know Kirby's attacks very well and know when they can get away with it and when it's more prudent to go with a different attack. What would make this attack more useful is if it had multile hitboxes, or at least a "landing strike" you see with the D-air and F-air.

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
i once got a u-tilt nair u-tilt bair nair combo. it was one of my happiest moments with kirby. incidentally it will likely never happen ever again.

Top Bottom