• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~Story Mode & Adventure Mode~ Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatlander

Smash Rookie
What they need is a "Avengers" style story line where all the evil bosses team up, then maybe have a plot twist where after defeating all the "evil" characters of SSB you fight the greater evil, Master Hand.

Of course Adventure mode was the most boring concept of the game to me, but if their going to do it. It should be a tribute to the games the characters come from.

Personally I enjoyed beating the game on classic with each character and the challenges a thousand times more than SSE or Adventure Mode.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
i actually hope the event matches were fun and difficult like they were in melee not brawl. i care about that more then story mode...i loved melees event matches.

:phone:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
i actually hope the event matches were fun and difficult like they were in melee not brawl. i care about that more then story mode...i loved melees event matches.

How are you about making them as sub-quests in the story mode?
Not only you have to beat them, but you have to find them first (and them you can play them from the list to get your record better).

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Ermm..sorry but i would still perfer the Melee style.

Was sooo good and you did have to unlock more by unlocking more chars or doing classic with more chars.

I love Melee's Event matches so much Brawl Ruined event matches as best it could..completely butcherd them...

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I had written a large post explining the problems, but I lost it. Oh well.

One major problem was no Nintendo content. At least for the enemies. I can understand why the levels were generic (it would quickly become Kingdom Hearts and it would be very hard to keep everything together), but the enemies should be all Nintendo. They didn't drop the ball on the boss though.

I believe the other problem was a lack of choice. Smash is about choice and you didn't get that in the SSE.

I figure the next one will be better. I expect it to be the entire 3DS game, so it will likely improve with scale.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
One major problem was no Nintendo content. At least for the enemies. I can understand why the levels were generic (it would quickly become Kingdom Hearts and it would be very hard to keep everything together), but the enemies should be all Nintendo. They didn't drop the ball on the boss though.
Or at least something original but clearly reminding of Nintendo's classic enemies.
Like, just for example, a cross between a strutzi and an octorok. Or like a new member of the Hammer Bros. family (comprensive of the Hammer Bros., The Sledge Bros., The Boomerang Bros. and The Fire Bros.): The Sickle Sisters.
Or even a cross between a Nintendo and a Namco character, like say, The Boonkies, cross between The boos and the ghosts of Pacman (they chase you if you give them your back, but they turn blue and run away if you face them).

I believe the other problem was a lack of choice. Smash is about choice and you didn't get that in the SSE.
I support that. But, do you prefer choices or conditions you have to guess?
Choice = After defeating a boss you are quesioned about the path to chose.
Conditions = Defeating a boss fast leads you to a path, defeating it slowly leads you to a different path.
And that above is just ONE sample!

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Question: Would you like if there were some riddles to make the story mode long and harder? Not hard to perform as hard to guess.
I’ll give you a sample:
You enter into a room filled of enemies and six doors shaped like an A, an I, an M, an O, a T and a Y.
Entering in one of the doors will lead you to a similar room with a different wall and/or different enemies (some rooms might have the same wall or the same enemies but never the same wall AND the same enemies) or back to the first room.
And only if you cross them in the correct order (guess which?) you’ll exit from this insane labyrinth.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
The answer was M I Y A M O T O
By the way, this is a rough scheme of how I would accomodate the "individual points of view" and "multiple paths" storyplots:

As you can guess, till the middle of the story you have a conversion of all a the stories of the different chars, and then a diversion of the storyline.
If there is some secret chars whose unlocking would detour the plot, he/she/they will appear after the middle of the story, but maybe the conditions are setted before, while, just apparently, they don't change the storyline.
I'll make you a sample: In the first half of his story-mode Fox finds and beats Wolf. He then leaves while promising he will be back. And he will return in a crucial moment to save his rival ("I can't let you die before I will beat you, Fox!").

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Or at least something original but clearly reminding of Nintendo's classic enemies.
Like, just for example, a cross between a strutzi and an octorok. Or like a new member of the Hammer Bros. family (comprensive of the Hammer Bros., The Sledge Bros., The Boomerang Bros. and The Fire Bros.): The Sickle Sisters.
Or even a cross between a Nintendo and a Namco character, like say, The Boonkies, cross between The boos and the ghosts of Pacman (they chase you if you give them your back, but they turn blue and run away if you face them).
Maybe, but it may just be way easier to do Nintendo enemies as everyone can tell what they are. If you start mixing them, it will get confusing.

I support that. But, do you prefer choices or conditions you have to guess?
Choice = After defeating a boss you are quesioned about the path to chose.
Conditions = Defeating a boss fast leads you to a path, defeating it slowly leads you to a different path.
And that above is just ONE sample!
You could, of course, still have it be linear. For this kind of mode, I'm not sure how much you need branching paths. When I say choices, I mean how you play, not where you go. In the SSE, the Plains has to be played with Mario and Pit until you beat it. The Ruined Zoo has to be played with Pokemon Trainer and Lucas. It would be nice to have a choice in who to play. This would require more work as levels would have to be more interesting to keep players playing them. But it would make a world of difference I think.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Maybe, but it may just be way easier to do Nintendo enemies as everyone can tell what they are. If you start mixing them, it will get confusing.
Confusing or funny. Because to newbies they would look something totally new, while hardcore gamers could tell their "ingredients".
Just think of this: You face a boss that looks like totally an upgraded version of a chain chomps with arms and legs. Then after you beat him, it shrinks, it turns from black to yellow, it changes face and says:"What the... Where I am?". SURPRISE! It's the Pacman!

You could, of course, still have it be linear. For this kind of mode, I'm not sure how much you need branching paths. When I say choices, I mean how you play, not where you go. In the SSE, the Plains has to be played with Mario and Pit until you beat it. The Ruined Zoo has to be played with Pokemon Trainer and Lucas. It would be nice to have a choice in who to play. This would require more work as levels would have to be more interesting to keep players playing them. But it would make a world of difference I think.
You know what could be an incentive? Some ramdomness.
In Pikmin 2 the underground caves are generated by random. Nintendo should try to implement that algorythm in some part of the stages. Maybe the distribution of the enemies or the appearance of background characters to interact with. Well, last one was an idea of mine I told you before. mean characters appearing on the side of the path and to talk with to obtain valuable informations, bonuses or subquests.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
It'd all in my opinion have to be contingent with the story line at hand. Everything in the supspace returned back to normal except for the area ganon and bowser shot with the subspace cannon I envision master hand coming back to life now infused with the D.N.A of tabuu and commands the fighting polygon army , the fightingwire army and the subspace army to fight the heroes he uses the primids to take over the existing Nintendo enemies goombas etc. And we just go on from there

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
Confusing or funny. Because to newbies they would look something totally new, while hardcore gamers could tell their "ingredients".
Just think of this: You face a boss that looks like totally an upgraded version of a chain chomps with arms and legs. Then after you beat him, it shrinks, it turns from black to yellow, it changes face and says:"What the... Where I am?". SURPRISE! It's the Pacman!
Hey, it could be like in Mother 3, where an army combines two different things to make chimeras

Imagine a Piranha Plant - Deku Baba combination or a mechanical Kritter.

The whole game has a nature vs technology ambience, something like in Pokemon Black and White. It would be cool if an idea like this would be used in SSB4.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
No, thanks! Not a SSE sequels with that huge amount of recycling.
I prefer something fresh that I can enjoy in the same measure of a newbie to the series.
Not because I didn't like the the fighting polygon army , the fightingwire army and the primids. Au contraire! I liked them and I want to see what new enemies the authors will come with.
YOu know what? I had a dream several nights ago [WARNING! A new crazyness approaching!]: I was on the stage ispired to the "cutscenes" of Punch Out for Nes. You know, the ones with Doc biking on the path side and Miss Liberty on the background at the end.
And well, she wwas strange this time because, she had the face of Peach. And then she starts creaking and breaking. And under the rocky surface pops out a female mecha like Aphrodite Ace, buth with two Banzai Bills as breast missiles (I wonder if Bowser is purrevert enough to construct something like that), just to tell how big she was. When she was jumping on the foreground to stomp my char I could see just her legs, and that was the only moment I could attack her, because then she was jumping back on the farway background to shoot her banzai bills or her optic blast (less than a second to guess which attack was incoming) that I had to avoid.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
No, thanks! Not a SSE sequels with that huge amount of recycling.
I prefer something fresh that I can enjoy in the same measure of a newbie to the series.
Not because I didn't like the the fighting polygon army , the fightingwire army and the primids. Au contraire! I liked them and I want to see what new enemies the authors will come with.
YOu know what? I had a dream several nights ago [WARNING! A new crazyness approaching!]: I was on the stage ispired to the "cutscenes" of Punch Out for Nes. You know, the ones with Doc biking on the path side and Miss Liberty on the background at the end.
And well, she wwas strange this time because, she had the face of Peach. And then she starts creaking and breaking. And under the rocky surface pops out a female mecha like Aphrodite Ace, buth with two Banzai Bills as breast missiles (I wonder if Bowser is purrevert enough to construct something like that), just to tell how big she was. When she was jumping on the foreground to stomp my char I could see just her legs, and that was the only moment I could attack her, because then she was jumping back on the farway background to shoot her banzai bills or her optic blast (less than a second to guess which attack was incoming) that I had to avoid.

How much for the Drugs you use?

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
More than you can afford, probably. I love nonsense insane things like the movies of Leslie Nilsen.
I'm honestly hoping they will push the crazyness this, this, and this far in the next installement of SSB.

Doctor Kirby

Smash Rookie
many of the SSE enemies resembled enemies from other game. these replacements could have improved SSE:

boom primid = boomerang bros./ sir kibble
metal primid = koopatrol
fire primid = fire bros.
sword primid = sword knight/blade knight
bytan + bucculus = fuzzy
feyesh = blooper
jyk = gordo
spaak = lakitu/kracko
galleum = heavy lobster
Tabuu = Marx soul/Nightmare
Duon = mr. shine & mr. bright
puppit = skullatula
shellpod = dodongo?
gamyga = giant piranha plant

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
XD lool We should hang out loool
No doubt this game has unlimited potential !!

Then let me giving you a sample of a crazy platform game:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ZidaneTribal93/videos?query=Super+B.C.+Kid

I think I would like if the storyplot of SSB4 will be as insane as the above one.
And yes, I think it could involve even the serious char.
Think of this for example: Link and toon link walking along parallel corridors, till they reach a gap in the wall and they see each other. And, guess what? They start doing the classic mirror gag, like Sonic and Young Sonic in Sonic Generation, just to mention a videogame sample.

Boss Ideas:

Metal Face

Deko

Mr. Sandman

Koopa Kids

Von Bolt w/ Black Hole Army

Demise

Medeus (Human & Dragon Forms)

The Tikis

N w/ Team Plasma

Arcanos, Blados, & Chalis

Medusa

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
Lets have Michael Bay do the new adventure mode.

There'll be explosions EVERYWHERE :smirk:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
From now on at the end of every Nintendo game (post-credits of course) have Mario, wearing all black and an eye-patch, ask the main character if they've heard of the Super Smash Brothers initiative.
Holy crap...

That is too funny!

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Then let me giving you a sample of a crazy platform game:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ZidaneTribal93/videos?query=Super+B.C.+Kid

I think I would like if the storyplot of SSB4 will be as insane as the above one.
And yes, I think it could involve even the serious char.
Think of this for example: Link and toon link walking along parallel corridors, till they reach a gap in the wall and they see each other. And, guess what? They start doing the classic mirror gag, like Sonic and Young Sonic in Sonic Generation, just to mention a videogame sample.
And if that wasn't enough look at this other graphically insane platform game:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL691DD426D87A3E5A
You know, when it comes to the parts featuring each individual char I agree it has to resemble somehow their original game, but when it comes to the part shared between many chars, the bes style t solution is to have a graphic style that looks crazy to everyone. If for xample Yoshi and Kirby have some stages shared between them two, it would make sense to the whole enviroments to look like food, including the inhabitants.

P.S. And how about a ghost world, populated by all the ghost characters of the game series and the spirits of the dead good guys, such as Wrinkly Kong, Peppy Hare and his wife Vivian?

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Boss Ideas:

Koopa Kids
You know, I have at least two thoughts on how they they would work as one boss:
1) They are not hard to beat each by each, but you have to sweep them out in a specific sequence, or they keep reappearing.
2) Every time someone of them is in huge loss of power to die they transform and combinate in a Voltron/Devastator manner. And once you have disassembled them, their power is splitted in seven even parts.

P.S. They are called Koopalings, and, in case you don't know, they are NOT Bowser's childrens. They are just his students.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
My Ridiculous Ideas

Bosses

Mewtwo

Roy

Story Mode: Revenge of the Rejects

Mewtwo persuades Roy into joining him to take over the Smash World. The duo starts to wreak havoc and brings in reinforcements to help: Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Pichu. However, the sadistic presumed "kid" creates an evil embodiment capable of mass destruction, even more powerful than Tabuu. As the kid's mind slips into deeper insanity than what was seen in the previous installments, Mario & Co. need to beat Mewtwo and Roy, get them on their side, and stop the raging kid's creation from eradicating everything.

You'll battle Roy, then Mewtwo later on. After, they'll both challenge you to a tag team battle, with this music as the battle theme, with Eight Melodies and all.

:awesome:

Eh, well, it's one of those unrealistic dreams...Uh, I think I should move on...

Well, as you can see, I do like dark things. And I guess I'd like the story to be even more darker than Brawl. You know, something that starts off friendly, cute, and fun, but underneath the happy-go-lucky layer, there's something very ominous. As the plot goes on, things start things start to play with your mind, turning out to be a psychological thriller, and especially at the end there'll be a huge mind ****. Disturbing too, like in EarthBound. Uh, I'm getting a bit carried away...But I know a lot of people would disagree, and that's ok...It's kinda dumb anyway...

I won't be that into the story mode compared to the actual gameplay, but I do hope they expand on it. Give the characters equal screen time and personality, although it will suck if the same thing happens for last minute characters. Perhaps dlc missions could give cut scenes to those characters and a bigger role, because I really wanted to see Toon Link involved with the main plot. But this doesn't erase the fact that they won't be available early on in the story. :/ Idk, although I like the idea of fan service, I find SSE so lacking. I hope they make things better, and I wouldn't mind if story mode becomes more simpler...and less time-consuming.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
My Ridiculous Ideas

Well, as you can see, I do like dark things. And I guess I'd like the story to be even more darker than Brawl. You know, something that starts off friendly, cute, and fun, but underneath the happy-go-lucky layer, there's something very ominous. As the plot goes on, things start things start to play with your mind, turning out to be a psychological thriller, and especially at the end there'll be a huge mind ****. Disturbing too, like in EarthBound. Uh, I'm getting a bit carried away...But I know a lot of people would disagree, and that's ok...It's kinda dumb anyway...

I won't be that into the story mode compared to the actual gameplay, but I do hope they expand on it. Give the characters equal screen time and personality, although it will suck if the same thing happens for last minute characters. Perhaps dlc missions could give cut scenes to those characters and a bigger role, because I really wanted to see Toon Link involved with the main plot. But this doesn't erase the fact that they won't be available early on in the story. :/ Idk, although I like the idea of fan service, I find SSE so lacking. I hope they make things better, and I wouldn't mind if story mode becomes more simpler...and less time-consuming.
Hey that's a great idea!, I also thought that the game should have chimeras like in Mother 3 but combining different Nintendo enemies (like a Piranha Plant combined with a Deku Baba)

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I just remembered a thing I loved pretty much in Double Dragon: Stealing enemies's weapons and using them against them. I seriously hope there will be this possibility in the next story mode. It's still a scrolling fighting game after all.
You know what? They might construct an enemy for each weapon in the game, just to give use the satisfaction to disarm him/her/it.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Hey that's a great idea!, I also thought that the game should have chimeras like in Mother 3 but combining different Nintendo enemies (like a Piranha Plant combined with a Deku Baba)
Hahaha thanks. It's just sometimes I think I get a little carried away with things...

The Nintendo chimeras sound cool. I do want to see more classic enemies, and combining some will defiantly show creativity. Perhaps there is an evil person behind the gene splicing...

And I'm all for craziness and randomness! I too want see their limits pushed when it comes to the creativity/craziness. They have so many resources that they can extract ideas from...I'd love to see things like this. Or freaky stuff like this. But mostly something like this where everyone has their own unique dance! Bonus points if it's a reference to something!

[collapse=Spoilerz]And then once you complete all single player modes, you can unlock secret videos for all the characters, like the F-Zero GX videos. Like this and this.[/collapse]

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
seeing how Kid Icarus: Uprising's story also had some wackiness, like Pandora's Labyrinth of Deceit, the whole Aurum part (which was essentially Greek gods vs. Aliens), the Chaos Vortex. That game had a huge amount of plot twists, you never expected what to come next and the best part is... that it worked.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Like: you push a ? block expecting a bonus to come out, and instead it enlarges and transforms like the 80s Soundwave.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
One kind of emphasis I would kind of like is something with a more humorous tone, you know something that shows that the story shouldn't be taken seriously and be more like a fun adventure. Kind of like in a vein to Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@Habanero: Yeah, I think a humorous story would fit well in SSB.

@Horsetail: shows how voice acting can work in a Mario game, provided they have good actors.

I would share this too. Click where it's purple for a good surprise from Charles Martinet, Mario's voice actor.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
One kind of emphasis I would kind of like is something with a more humorous tone, you know something that shows that the story shouldn't be taken seriously and be more like a fun adventure. Kind of like in a vein to Kid Icarus: Uprising.
Now you are speaking my language.
There are two paths: something totally nonsense like the Parodiius series or the movies of Leslie Nilsen (R.I.P.) or something so stereotypical to be funny, like the Steel Samurai (that very famous TV series in the universe of Ace Attorney).

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I had a dream of the story mode where there were these road signals:

The first one allows all characters pass eccept the ones of the displayed franchise.
The second one allows only the characters of the displayed franchise to pass.
The third one reset the damage meter.
The fourth one comes just before a boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom