• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stop Promoting and Perpetuating Myths About Brawl-Positive Views for Brawl

Koga

Smash Journeyman
The overall strategy has changed in brawl. It is more about being in the air, and landing your "damage" moves which set up for "kill" moves, and well, getting the kill. Grabs are now a way to change the progressive flow of the match to help you get your damage moves in. There are acctually alot of spacing moves due to the physics engine allowing for more pronounced DI on your arial attacks.

Try this:

Run in a direction long enough to get momentum, Jump, hit backwards on the Control stick, then C-stick a Fair. you will preform a retreating air attack wich is good for spacing if you can land it without lag it sets up for a good ground approach.

Evazan

Smash Rookie
... There is no way ROB can 0-death combo someone unless A) they suck, or B) you let them.
It only counts as a combo if its near unescapeable, not being new to the game and not knowing how to escape it yet...

Show me a vid of ROB 0-death comboing someone who has played and knows ROB well. It wont happen.

I still prefer Brawl over Melee though for other reasons.
I think this is exactly the point which the OP was trying to make. People are still largely ignorant when it comes to this game. At this point in the game the OP did not know how to break ROB's combo but at the same time the ROB player hasn't come close to figuring out how to play ROB to his full potential.

I have read a number of the OP's posts and think a point of his which needs to be highlighted is the melee timeline. An argument which a lot of pro-brawl people are making is that it is a new game and it took melee years to develop. The counter argument is that the two games can't be compared on this basis being that there is an army of people working to develop brawl and when melee came out this wasn't true. What the OP has pointed out completely debunks that counter argument. Peach's game didn't really start to develop until 2006. This was a couple years after melee's tournament scene developed. He also pointed out that a number of the best players even in the later years of melee were not tech heavy.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Adding to the Ike approach, Ike doesn't lack a very solid approach. He's better at camping then he is at an approach. Most people won't wait and camp. Most people find it boring. Ike is also a pressure character. He acts defensive until he gets into an advantageous position. After getting them in the air and in that advantageous position, bair. Ike's best approach is through his shield and usmash. The side B is a bad approach, but does add to some of Ike's mobility.

Ike will probably have a hard time with a Pit camping arrows, but once that Pit gets close, Ike eats him like fried chicken for dinner.

And before you start complaining about Brawl, let's advance the metagame. When there's a time that we can't advance the metagame anymore, then start complaining.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
... There is no way ROB can 0-death combo someone unless A) they suck, or B) you let them.
It only counts as a combo if its near unescapeable, not being new to the game and not knowing how to escape it yet...

Show me a vid of ROB 0-death comboing someone who has played and knows ROB well. It wont happen.

Yea, right after it happened I was like, oh ****, I guess I shouldn't DI in. However, I think you should also go try and practice carrying people in the air using ROB's Fair (I think), keeps people close to you and sets up. Even in tournament matches against high level players you'll see Jiggylypuff carry people in the air with the Bair/Fair despite that you can DI it. The fact is, the combo will work, maybe even with good DI (haven't tested yet), but that it works with bad DI doesn't invalidate that it can work, it just won't work as often.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

Yea, right after it happened I was like, oh ****, I guess I shouldn't DI in. However, I think you should also go try and practice carrying people in the air using ROB's Fair (I think), keeps people close to you and sets up. Even in tournament matches against high level players you'll see Jiggylypuff carry people in the air with the Bair/Fair despite that you can DI it. The fact is, the combo will work, maybe even with good DI (haven't tested yet), but that it works with bad DI doesn't invalidate that it can work, it just won't work as often.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
@people dying at higher percents, I was caught completely off-guard by Snake's uncharged forward smash, which ko'd me at 37 percent. I feel like eventually, snake will evolve to become a trick character, sort of like samus in Melee.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Snakes edgeguard with his mines is the ****tt.

Also, learned a good approach from Chu yesterday. With Sonic, you can use the (forward B, I think, where he spins like yoshi's egg kinda, I don't play Sonic), after this hits you can basically combo into a air attack, and depending on the attack, up B into another air attack. He was doing this left and right, it didn't always work, but he usually got at least 2 hits, and if he followed with the upB sometimes he would be able to get even more, its especially dangerous with the upB because he can follow you all the way up toward the ceiling for gimp KOs. Speaking of gimp KO's with Sonic, you can use his charge B attack against recovering opponents, just follow them off the stage while they try to recover and keep pressing B, it works wonders many times.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Adding to the Ike approach, Ike doesn't lack a very solid approach. He's better at camping then he is at an approach. Most people won't wait and camp. Most people find it boring. Ike is also a pressure character. He acts defensive until he gets into an advantageous position. After getting them in the air and in that advantageous position, bair. Ike's best approach is through his shield and usmash. The side B is a bad approach, but does add to some of Ike's mobility.

Ike will probably have a hard time with a Pit camping arrows, but once that Pit gets close, Ike eats him like fried chicken for dinner.

And before you start complaining about Brawl, let's advance the metagame. When there's a time that we can't advance the metagame anymore, then start complaining.
lol I posted something similar in the Scar thread

lets get to work

xLordCJx

Smash Rookie
Also, I think comboing does exist, but they aren't as extendable as they are in Melee.

I was fighting my friend before in a Brawl, and it was just me as Fox and his Falco.

I drilled, landed, shined, uair-ed, in a time frame of about 3 seconds. It was short, but it was a combo.

RDK

Smash Hero
Awesome thread, Alpha. I always love reading your gigantic walls of text.

But about comboing, there's plenty of potential in certain characters that just has yet to be tapped. Diddy has plenty of comboability, and don't let everyone forget Wolf's neutral-air to jab combo, which is hella nifty for safe approaching, especially someone like Dedede, who's a very in-your-face character.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Alpha, I'm pretty sure these myths will be busted in due time on their own. As more and more tournaments happen, as people get better, and more and more vids of these competitive tournaments are available, these tactics will be much more abundant. But the game is brand new, and it's a lot easier to spread a false rumor than it is to record a video falsifying that rumor.

When I first joined the ranks of competitive smash in melee, all it took was a few videos from youtube to prove to my friends the potential this game had. I'm pretty sure in just a few months time, Brawl will be the same.

For me personally, I use Pika and I think he has awesome approach. Spamming thunderbolt and fair is godly, both have huge priority. Even thunder can be used as an approach since the lag has been severely diminished from melee.

All and all, I don't think we have much to worry.

Except if Evo f***s it all up with leaving items on...

Best101

Smash Ace
Alpha, you want to prove to people on the boards that the sentiments you're addressing are mere fallacies? Spread some actual knowledge. That post does nothing. Waiving one character's potential in two specific areas as a banner for your "It's too early to judge!" campaign does little to mitigate or suppress this "ignorance". You're obviously privy to information most of us aren't, so use the boards to inform us.

Here, help me. I play Mario, Ike, Snake, Ganon, Fox and Falco. What gimp methods have I overlooked? What combos? What approach methods? Don't keep it among your crew. Don't keep it in the Backroom. Bring it out here. Zink asked you for some help and you gave him an idea for one character. You're going to have to be more resourceful than that.

If you want to stem the tide of negativity, counter-arguments have been done to death and will continue to be horse-beaten as long as people are disappointed in Brawl. Arouse people's awareness of the specifics if you want to actually help make things better and further the development of the scene in the process.

-Syn
Falco is my main, and
D-throw to up-smash to up-tilt (or d-air spike) is a good 48% combo for him. It could possible be 0%-death combo if you spike them off the edge. Or if opponent jumps then SHDL to attack works. I know more combos with him but I'm not too sure what they are at the moment.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
rather than complain about the game ive chosen to just get good and win in tournament. ill reserve my judgements until im good at the game. no one knows what works and what doesnt yet, but i dont need to lurk on smashboards to find out, i can just play people and figure it out on my own rather than complain and suck. i also dont feel the need to share any strategies i have to anyone on these boards, because people are unoriginal and just make johns for why they suck and cant muster up their own strategies. i can just win money in tournament by being original and finding out my own strats.

plus, everyone on the boards has this "prove me wrong" attitude. no one can prove you wrong, but it doesnt mean you arent stupid and ignorant. i cant explain in detail to you ever wario combo in the game, but that doesnt mean they dont exist. same with any other character. think about it. like AZ said earlier, it just sounds like people are mad that they dont know everything about the game in the first month of having it.

Top Bottom