• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stop grabbing!!

ooRainpuddlesoo

Smash Cadet
Me and my friends recently dusted off old school ssb64, its still just as fun as when i was in middleschool!! we love games that have high combo strings like this and mvc, but some of our other friends just like winning... what i mean is were trying to get better at juggles and infinites(which we can do on cpu and newbs) but its hard when all they do is GRAB, GRAB, GRAB. In short, what are sum tips to dominate these grabby basterds!! Im considered like a 5a if u read that post....

dandan

Smash Lord
going by that outdated/nonrealistic list, if you get grabbed that easily that you lose to people who spam grabs, you are not 5a.
now for a real answer, keep your spacing (easier said then done) - dash pivots works wonders vs grab heavy players.
and i guess you should practice your approach, as i am guessing you mostly get grabbed when approaching. don't just run into the opponent, try to anticipate and look for holes to attack.
hope i have helped.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Lol at saying you're 5a when the post details a whole stage where grabs are considered the best in the game.

Ways to avoid grabs: 1) Be in the air a lot, use short hot aerials 2) Jab/ftilt/fsmash to knock them away 3) Grab them first

Also what characters are the grabbers using?

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
Get on kaillera, learn how to play, get experience, Then 3 lvl 9 CPUS will be less then a piece of sand on the beach.

ooRainpuddlesoo

Smash Cadet
i dont lose to grabbers, but its annoying, i just wanna wanna be able to stop him in his tracks when they get grab happy. so far light forward a, light down a, and short hopping works. im just not consistent. about the 5a thing, i dont wanna argue i was just tring to give yall an idea of my knowledge of the game, i know im only considered decent on kalleirea. but thanks for the help, i dont ususally do forums

ooRainpuddlesoo

Smash Cadet
pikachu and ness!! grab city!! dont get me wrong, they can play, but for example, when im at 100% with kirby they know a back throw will kill me, so i guess i just wanna prolong the innevitable. i know my spelling and sentences are poorly constructed, im not a forum guy usually

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
anyone still on kalairea? lets play!!
Its Kaillera. And yes there are people on it. Currently the smash server is Galaxy64 which all my ip ranges are banned from because of Agent and firo which are two of the super admins there which i highly recommender you never talk to sense they are immature idiots. Kaillera is full of idiots im warning you now, You'll get into that community and turn into a troll just like them. But its best way for someone to gain experience in smash64.

Project64k 0.13 (hacked version)

If you want the cruddy real version which sucks go download it off google. Also just google on how to set it up so you can play.

ooRainpuddlesoo

Smash Cadet
ill be honest, i thought i was good, till i got in the galaxy server,lol. now i see how deep the game rly is, anyone who says smash64 is slow, they r wrongggggggggg. ive been playing on kalaeria for like 2 weeks and i would say the only ppl who destroy me are guys like sheer madness and coffee, ive been greatly humbled. can we p2p or something? i m new to all this stuff

firo

Smash Ace
I would advise taking much of what smasherx74 says seriously. He has been banned from the major kaillera servers for good reason. Agent is an admin on the server, and I am the owner.

I along with other members of the community would be happy to p2p to show you some of the ropes. If you wanna play, log on to the server and ask me (I'm on most of the time) or message me on aim or msn, both of which are in the player compendium.

Agent_21

Smash Apprentice
Yea, what Firo pretty much said, there are alot of annoying people on kaillera and if you are good at ignoring them or just P2P though, you should be fine.

firo

Smash Ace
is there a trick to p2p, how do u do it? i hate the lag sometimes
The best way to p2p would be to download the "customized n02 client" that Ownasaurus posted in his topic. That will give you p2p options as well. In order to host you will need to forward a port (default is 27886), but if you are not sure how to do that or don't have access you can still join other people's games. Assuming you are not the one causing the lag, playing over p2p will make gameplay smoother.

In order to actually start a game, someone needs to be hosting and can give you their ip to connect to. If you ask or answer a request to p2p, the host will give you his ip to put in the "connect" box in the client.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
I would advise taking much of what smasherx74 says seriously.
Exactly. Smasherx74 is such a immature troll most of the time. Don't ever listen to him he will just troll on you and start flame wars. He deserves to be banned from galaxy64 for his non-stop flame wars and how he exploits peoples feelings when they have big egos.

Crackawhat

Smash Rookie
Smasherx74 was spamming advertisements for his own (IE: copied and renamed) version of PJ64 and for advertising his own server in galaxy 64. Thats why he was banned.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
Smasherx74 was spamming advertisements for his own (IE: copied and renamed) version of PJ64 and for advertising his own server in galaxy 64. Thats why he was banned.
I wasn't banned for that. I was banned because i told firo i was going to kill his family and because i made agent upset when he was having his period. Also, Near, ultra64k was fail. Now the pj64k hacked I just did minor edit to pj64k 0.13 to play the "random" thing and the mario party works and thanks to pj64kVE i found you can just space out the default plugins in hex with it not forcing them.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
If you're Kirby and they are spamming grabs, face away from them and spam up-tilt. Unless their timing is incredible, they'll get caught in it. And it combos into itself like 5 times (depending on the character).

DMoogle

A$
If you're Kirby and they are spamming grabs, face away from them and spam up-tilt. Unless their timing is incredible, they'll get caught in it. And it combos into itself like 5 times (depending on the character).
Their timing doesn't have to be incredible. It's not that difficult to run in and grab in between up-tilts.

T1g3rbombz

Smash Journeyman
Me and my friends recently dusted off old school ssb64, its still just as fun as when i was in middleschool!! we love games that have high combo strings like this and mvc, but some of our other friends just like winning... what i mean is were trying to get better at juggles and infinites(which we can do on cpu and newbs) but its hard when all they do is GRAB, GRAB, GRAB. In short, what are sum tips to dominate these grabby basterds!! Im considered like a 5a if u read that post....
stop crying! less Q.Q more pew pew

Agent_21

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't banned for that. I was banned because i told firo i was going to kill his family and because i made agent upset when he was having his period. Also, Near, ultra64k was fail. Now the pj64k hacked I just did minor edit to pj64k 0.13 to play the "random" thing and the mario party works and thanks to pj64kVE i found you can just space out the default plugins in hex with it not forcing them.
Nah if I was right, I muted you then you logged in with these usernames threatning me: m tired of you agent you ****i, U HERE ME ****** UNMUTE ME, THATS IT MASTERSERVER IS GOING , **** THIS SERVER AND KAILLERA, UNMUTE ME NOW OR I KILL U, **** YOU SUCK MY NUTZS, I WAS 1 DAY MUTE NAD UREMUTE ME, NOW U ****ING UNMUTE ME NOW, UR *** WANTS WAR WE WILL HAVE W, ILL FLOOD THE HELL OUT OF GALAX, I AM ALREADY MAD AS IS, DONT THINK I WONT GIVE MY, 2000 DOLLARS TO COME TO YOUR HO, AND ****ING DESTROY YOUR LIFE, YOUR NOTHING AND ARE NOTHING, YOUR JUST A DIRT SPEC ON THE IN, YOUR LIFE IS MEANLYLESS, THEREFOR YOU SHOULD DIE, UR NOT WORTH LIFE, UR A WAST OF AIR

That is why you were banned from Galaxy 64.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
That is why you were banned from Galaxy 64.
Thats also wrong, I was banned before that and perm muted for my unban with firo thinking that would anger me by trying to act as if he cared but muted me so i wouldn't say anything to someone like you. Before that i was banned for trolling and i was banned for 24 hours then i went on here and told firo i was going to kill his family. Thats why i was banned.

Agent_21

Smash Apprentice
Thats also wrong, I was banned before that and perm muted for my unban with firo thinking that would anger me by trying to act as if he cared but muted me so i wouldn't say anything to someone like you. Before that i was banned for trolling and i was banned for 24 hours then i went on here and told firo i was going to kill his family. Thats why i was banned.
......lol ok

Agent_21

Smash Apprentice
Your best bet is to choose a character you are interested in, go to training and look at some combo videos on YouTube, and also some of the easiest characters to do combos with is Captain Falcon and Ness in my opinion.

rpotts

Smash Lord
I disagree on the ness part, unless you just mean utilt x 5 -> uair
I think Ness' DJC combos are pretty difficult to maintain, because you can really only combo most chars at relatively low percents, and you have to very quickly link the attacks, like DJC fair combos.

Falcon on the other hand is the king of easy combos. Kirby is too, and since he already says he plays kirby, I suggest you stop immediately. Kirby just isn't as fun to play as most of the rest of the cast, imo. I used to be a kirby main, when I was about your skill level, I actually came to smashboards because I kept losing to this ness player who would dair spam me and grab a lot.

It is harder to win with most of the other characters, but when your friend plays Ness, you can employ edgeguarding tactics with fox, falcon, mario, link, pretty much anyone.

play a defensive fox, laser a lot, dashdance grab and then shine him offstage, or better yet, reflect his pk thunder shot.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
There's nothing wrong with someone playing as Kirby. Just because he is a boring character to play against doesn't mean that you can't use him.

Though that said, if you are planning on maining Kirby, at least try to have a secondary, as... well, Kirby is really boring to play against, and some people probably don't want to play friendlies against an up-tilt spamming Kirby. But as far as a tournament character goes, there's nothing wrong with maining Kirby.

rpotts

Smash Lord
There's nothing wrong with someone playing as Kirby. Just because he is a boring character to play against doesn't mean that you can't use him.

Though that said, if you are planning on maining Kirby, at least try to have a secondary, as... well, Kirby is really boring to play against, and some people probably don't want to play friendlies against an up-tilt spamming Kirby. But as far as a tournament character goes, there's nothing wrong with maining Kirby.
That's basically what I was saying. You seem critical of my post and then reinforce some of the things i said, such as him being boring to play and to play against. :confused:

MattNF

Smash Lord
This Kirby debate has gone on long enough. To end this, I've made this informative flowchart to enhance your Super Smash Bros. Experience™ and hopefully settle this debate once and for all.

Blue Yoshi edit: Unnecessary picture that will only cause problems.

MattNF

Smash Lord
you hurt my feelings blue yoshi

I spent a lot of time (see: about 5 minutes) working on that

oh well people can still look at the edit history to view it

wut

Top Bottom