• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stop being ageist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clace

Smash Journeyman
Didn't that same kid also claim that it was a "friend" of his who had said information? Also, first he called it a manual, then he called it a guide.
Yes, that would prove he was fake, but people were still directing insults at his age. Not his phoniness.

Smile Guy

Smash Apprentice
Why do I hate teenagers? Well, durr, cos the media tells me to hate them.

I think the most obnoxious category on forums are 20-30 year-old Americans. Why? Well, they're the majority... and the majority tends to completely and always be wrong.

If a person is mature and sensible then there age should have absolutely nothing to do with anything, just as colour, religion, race, or *yada yada yada* shouldn't have anything to do with anything either. But, with all these "leaks" people have to be wary, and if it comes out that a person who claims to have been a games tester or something is only 15... then that is strong evidence against them.

I think that just about covers my moral lesson for the day.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
i admit that I have an ageist problem against teenagers (I call them sub humans with good reason) But I'll keep this non biased as possible.

You can't blame people for being ageist because unlike race or sex, everyone who's over 19 knew what it was like to be a teenager. Therefore, they know how immature and confused teenagers can be. You can never change your race or gender (not counting artificially). Which is why racism and sexism is frowned upon more than ageism.

When you get older, you will see that we were right as far as teenage behavior is concerned.

Another thing is that teenagers, like small children, are very egocentric. But the difference is that small children don't understand that other people have different views. Whereas teenagers DO know that other people have different views, but are too self centered to give a flying **** about other people's opinions.

Also, teenagers are highly stubborn. They usually want the respect and benefits of adulthood but is not willing to do the work to get it. And most teenagers do cry for attention. And these false prophets aren't any different.

P.S.: MY 1000th POST WOOT!

Fawriel

Smash Master
This thread is a cry for attention
Guess what: Everyone who makes a thread or a post on any forum wants attention.

In your specific case, Yigguth, your intention was, for one, for the OP to read your post in order to mildly humiliate him, but mostly in order to look witty to everyone else who passes by.
This post is meant to grab the attention of you and anyone else who's acting like you, because I wouldn't be writing it if I assumed that nobody is going to read it.

Now how about we stop acting like idiots and start taking posts for what they are, right?

clace, you are correct. Since generalizations are always wrong unless they can be scientifically proven. Also, you shouldn't let people get you down. Speaking your mind is what forums are there for.
That's all.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Clace, I agree with what you're saying, but I'm not sure this needed a whole thread. This is really the kind of thing you say in the moment. When someone uses one of those "What are you, 14?" lines in a thread, you jump on them then.

But generally yes, some teenagers deserve more credit than those in their age group are often given (hell, I'm technically still a teenager. I just don't feel like one anymore). However, using myself as an example, I know I've grown A LOT in just a few years. I used to get so pissed when people valued my opinion less because I was younger. But when I look back on it now, I see where they're coming from. When I hit 13, I thought I owned the world, and unfortunately, a lot of 13 year-olds do. Without even consciously trying to.

That doesn't mean age discrimination is justifiable, but there's at least a rhyme and a reason to it. Unfortauntely, that's just how it is. If you're one of the mature enough ones not to deserve it, then unfortunately it's your burden to just live with it.

Specifically on the subject of prophets though, I think they're all attacked because of their potential phoniness. That just may not be the specific aspect of them that people choose to attack. Ex: See prophet thread, get ready to flame, read thread, learn the prophet is a kid, choose to demerit him or her for it. The prophet is getting flamed for being thought to be a false prophet, even though it's his or her age that's feeling the heat. People just resort to anything they can to demean people they've deemed worthy of such treatment.

Ultimately, Demon Kirby said it best.

Generalization is a bad thing.
This post wasn't supposed to be this long. O_<

Smile Guy

Smash Apprentice
You can't blame people for being ageist because unlike race or sex, everyone who's over 19 knew what it was like to be a teenager. Therefore, they know how immature and confused teenagers can be. You can never change your race or gender (not counting artificially). Which is why racism and sexism is frowned upon more than ageism.

When you get older, you will see that we were right as far as teenage behavior is concerned.

Another thing is that teenagers, like small children, are very egocentric. But the difference is that small children don't understand that other people have different views. Whereas teenagers DO know that other people have different views, but are too self centered to give a flying **** about other people's opinions.

Also, teenagers are highly stubborn. They usually want the respect and benefits of adulthood but is not willing to do the work to get it. And most teenagers do cry for attention. And these false prophets aren't any different.

Sure, being a teenager can be a pretty messed up time for everyone but it still doesn't mean that maturity can prevail.

And sometimes, teenagers can even have the right ideas about stuff. Just going out and enjoying life without giving a flying **** about other people's opinions? HELL, yes. As long as it's not truly hurting anybody, then there's no problem.

I think that some people in this thread for example are being more immature than most teenagers PUT TOGETHER. (yeah, suxx0rs on that).

PS) Just so people know, while I sometimes make serious points, a lot of what I say is with tongue-in-cheek so don't jump on some sort of flaming bandwagon if you disagree with a view. Though please debate back, I lovesies that sort of thing.

Smile Guy

Smash Apprentice
i am 18 and my gf is 14 OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I ain't judging you 'cos I know a couple of people in relationships like that myself and they are completely in love but ain't that quite a large age gap for such a young age?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
And sometimes, teenagers can even have the right ideas about stuff. Just going out and enjoying life without giving a flying **** about other people's opinions? HELL, yes. As long as it's not truly hurting anybody, then there's no problem.
No I mean something like this:

Say a guy has broken up with a girl. The girl is devestated. And being a teenager, she thinks she's the only one who went through this kind of sadness and that no one will understand her because of that.

Yigguth

Smash Journeyman
Guess what: Everyone who makes a thread or a post on any forum wants attention.
Or maybe they just want to discuss current events and speculate (in my case talk about brawl to make the waiting less painful)

In your specific case, Yigguth, your intention was, for one, for the OP to read your post in order to mildly humiliate him, but mostly in order to look witty to everyone else who passes by.
This post is meant to grab the attention of you and anyone else who's acting like you, because I wouldn't be writing it if I assumed that nobody is going to read it.
Yes this is true.

clace

Smash Journeyman
i admit that I have an ageist problem against teenagers (I call them sub humans with good reason) But I'll keep this non biased as possible.

Ok, I'm sorry, But this angered me. Thanks to everyone else who has said nice things, and thanks to you, GreenKirby for not being an *** about it. But let me just express myself once more.

You say teenagers are arrogant, stubborn and lazy. That Is wrong. You can't blame someones personality on how old they are! That's what I've been saying this whole time!

Teenagers aren't stubborn, some PEOPLE are stubborn, It's not their age that made them *****, it's them! Your saying every teenager has the same personality and irrationality, and that angers me, because some teenagers are like that, but so are some adults, and that's my point.

Don't categorize us, no one is the same, especially just because their the same age.

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
...Right, so, If people start to hate 20 year olds all of a sudden, It proves everyone's point if they say it's unfair!? If that's the kind of world we live in then...Pff.
people DO hate 20 year olds. this is not helping your case I'm afraid. when anyone has made a point that SUPPORTS their argument (that kids are immature and whine) your only response has been to put them down or bring up some other irrelevant point that puts them down. (only supporting their claims, which is why everyone is finding this topic humorous)

something that would defend your views that people who are older more experienced and "learned" then the average teenager would be to accept that people are different, can hate without reason, and will disagree with you.

Also all these people saying "grow up and then you will know." MIGHT be on to something. they where kids once. they have already been through what your are RIGHT NOW. they have hindsight (which is always 20/20) to help them form these opinions. A predictable young kid coming in here and bashing on people and complaining about unfair treatment is NOT going to get very far.

the world is not fair. you've heard it before, but it will take time for you to accept it. We all have.

one last thing. just because someone makes a blanket statement about all kids doesn't mean they are targeting YOU or even care about YOU. MOST kids do this type of things so they will say this because it is generally true.

Smile Guy

Smash Apprentice
No I mean something like this:

Say a guy has broken up with a girl. The girl is devestated. And being a teenager, she thinks she's the only one who went through this kind of sadness and that no one will understand her because of that.
Ahh... yes... but that's just how everyone feels when they're heartbroken. It ain't just a teenage thing. Why isn't the world sad with me? Is what everyone likes to say...

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
Clace, this is just a part of life that everyone goes through. It is kind of funny that this thread kind of proves everyone's point since you're making a "scene" over people making fun of teenagers.

Don't worry about it, it doesn't last forever.
agreed. normal kid response is to complain.

Normal adult response is to know better and just ignore it.

G&Wismyhomeboy

Smash Cadet
Ok, I'm sorry, But this angered me. Thanks to everyone else who has said nice things, and thanks to you, GreenKirby for not being an *** about it. But let me just express myself once more.

You say teenagers are arrogant, stubborn and lazy. That Is wrong. You can't blame someones personality on how old they are! That's what I've been saying this whole time!

Teenagers aren't stubborn, some PEOPLE are stubborn, It's not their age that made them *****, it's them! Your saying every teenager has the same personality and irrationality, and that angers me, because some teenagers are like that, but so are some adults, and that's my point.

Don't categorize us, no one is the same, especially just because their the same age.
Well, actually, teenagers do tend to act less mature than adults (generally speaking). Teenagers are still growing up and learning to deal with the world and be less and less dependent on their parents. Most teenagers haven't fully grown up yet. It's not fair, but it's true. I'm only 16, and I'm pretty tired of the bad rep that most teens give the rest of us.

The only thing you can really do about it is be a great example of how grown up a teenager is capable of being. Don't expect other people to take you seriously in spite of your age. Instead, be mature and polite and people will decide on their own to take you seriously.

I also wish teenagers and young adults would learn to know the difference between 'your' and 'you're' and between 'they're', 'there,' and 'their'. Because for some people, it's hard to take ANYBODY who does that seriously. I'm not trying to be grammar police here; I'm just mentioning how distracting that really is. But maybe I'm just crazy ;)

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
Thank you very much. At least some people come here to talk about smash brothers, not flame kids.

EDIT: LMAO at the guy above me.
everyone was trying to make a point in how your a little too defensive on a topic your take a bit too personally until you lashed back at them in inappropriate tones.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
I also wish teenagers and young adults would learn to know the difference between 'your' and 'you're' and between 'they're', 'there,' and 'their'. Because for some people, it's hard to take ANYBODY who does that seriously. I'm not trying to be grammar police here; I'm just mentioning how distracting that really is. But maybe I'm just crazy ;)
Oi. That's a battle I've decided to give up on, as it used to be my biggest pet peeve in the world.

Don't forget about to, two, and too!

clace

Smash Journeyman
people DO hate 20 year olds. this is not helping your case I'm afraid. when anyone has made a point that SUPPORTS their argument (that kids are immature and whine) your only response has been to put them down or bring up some other irrelevant point that puts them down. (only supporting their claims, which is why everyone is finding this topic humorous)

something that would defend your views that people who are older more experienced and "learned" then the average teenager would be to accept that people are different, can hate without reason, and will disagree with you.

Also all these people saying "grow up and then you will know." MIGHT be on to something. they where kids once. they have already been through what your are RIGHT NOW. they have hindsight (which is always 20/20) to help them form these opinions. A predictable young kid coming in here and bashing on people and complaining about unfair treatment is NOT going to get very far.

the world is not fair. you've heard it before, but it will take time for you to accept it. We all have.

one last thing. just because someone makes a blanket statement about all kids doesn't mean they are targeting YOU or even care about YOU. MOST kids do this type of things so they will say this because it is generally true.
How have I put anyone down? Explain. Your saying that the people who said I should grow up and then I'll know are right, That's why I'm angry, people have the oppurtunity to turn mature at the age of 10, they just actually have to be mature.

The world is not fair, no, I know that, I know about politicians being corrupt, I know about people poisoning us, I know about that stuff, But do we really have to bring negative emotions and things into forums about smash brothers?

And just to let you know. I'm not bashing on anyone except the people who have already bashed on others.

clace

Smash Journeyman
everyone was trying to make a point in how your a little too defensive on a topic your take a bit too personally until you lashed back at them in inappropriate tones.
When I said that I was not reffering to the people in this thread, I was referring to the people this thread is aimed at.

Smile Guy

Smash Apprentice
People are dying, PEOPLE!!!!!!!

Y'know, Clace, a real teenager wouldn't give a blind monkey's **** about what people thought about them. Thus proving your maturity, thus proving your point, thus proving everyone else wrong.

Smile Guy wins.

Next post, Smile Guy solves world hunger in his sleep.

G&Wismyhomeboy

Smash Cadet
Oi. That's a battle I've decided to give up on, as it used to be my biggest pet peeve in the world.

Don't forget about to, two, and too!
Oh geez yes! How could I forget?

I'd say my biggest pet peeve is people saying "the reason is because" or "the reason is due to." I'm just unreasonable like that. :laugh:

And Clace, the world is unfair beyond corrupt politicians and poison. The world is just about completely unfair, and the Internet is part of the world. People will always have prejudices and stereotypes. The only thing that's up to you is your response to that.

clace

Smash Journeyman
People are dying, PEOPLE!!!!!!!

Y'know, Clace, a real teenager wouldn't give a blind monkey's **** about what people thought about them. Thus proving your maturity, thus proving your point, thus proving everyone else wrong.

Smile Guy wins.

Next post, Smile Guy solves world hunger in his sleep.
Lol, I'm sorry but that confused me, If real teenagers wouldn't give a crap about what people thought of them, dosen't me making this thread disprove my point?

Sorry I just got confused. If your being sarcastic then okay, I am sorry It's just If I were to just let this play on my mind for ages, I would make a thread sooner or later a lot more impolite than this one. If you weren't being sarcastic, then disregard what I just said, lol.

clace

Smash Journeyman
Let me just say another thing, I've seen a few people in this thread saying moaning about this is just disproving my point. That would mean that whenever anyone got prejudice for a group they are in, being angry about it or expressing how you feel to people would be the wrong thing to do? I think that's wrong.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I ain't judging you 'cos I know a couple of people in relationships like that myself and they are completely in love but ain't that quite a large age gap for such a young age?
Yeah, it probably is. But we're doing fine so far. No worries, mate!

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
When I said that I was not reffering to the people in this thread, I was referring to the people this thread is aimed at.
Fair enough. also you did die down and become much more professional in your argument so i applaud you.

In the end though this topic will get nowhere. You want ALL adults to agree that not ALL kids are immature. you see where we are going to hit a brick wall? some arguments are not worth having.

Maybe the better argument is to say that I am angry at you for assuming most adults feel this way about kids.

here is a similar argument, but the positions have been changed:

I am an adult. I get angry when kids say things like "adults are mean and don't care" "they are old know nothings." "they are set in their ways" why do people have to be this way?! not all adults are set in their ways and mean! why do they feel this way?

clace

Smash Journeyman
Fair enough. also you did die down and become much more professional in your argument so i applaud you.

In the end though this topic will get nowhere. You want ALL adults to agree that not ALL kids are immature. you see where we are going to hit a brick wall? some arguments are not worth having.

Maybe the better argument is to say that I am angry at you for assuming most adults feel this way about kids.

here is a similar argument, but the positions have been changed:

I am an adult. I get angry when kids say things like "adults are mean and don't care" "they are old know nothings." "they are set in their ways" why do people have to be this way?! not all adults are set in their ways and mean! why do they feel this way?
I never said all adults, I said the people who are like that. As in the people who post on threads saying the stuff I am against. I know that the vast majority of the people here aren't ageist. I just think that the people who are are being very unfair. Sorry if I didn't put that in the first place.

And yeah, I realised this topic will get nowhere, I'm sorry, I guess I just needed to get it out of my system.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's a fact that everyone below 15 is annoying and frequently stupid. Luckily, I was born 18 years old already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom