• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Staying in the Lightwieght State Indefenitely

mimgrim

Smash Hero
So I didn't see a thread on this yet and thought that even if it is know it should get it's own thread.

If you are on a stage with platforms, Battlefield Yoshi's Island Brawl ect.., you can keep on using Lightweight while she is already in the state or in the negative state. It's very easy to do. You want to be in the Lightweight state or negative state of Lightweight. Get on a platform. Attempt to fall down the platform, hold on to down after you attempt to do this, and the really quickly preform Lightweight and she will preform the move again which will reset the move or make her negative state moot and give her Lightweight again.

I wish I had a camera to record but I don't. Hopefully someone who does can do that for me.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Essentially performing it like a smash attack on platforms would be the easiest way to explain how to to it. :)

Being able to LightweightLightweightLightweight is probably going to make her a ridiculously devastating character now.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Oh man, this is going to be so much fun.

The timing's really easy to get a feel for, you just delay the B input ever-so-slightly. Not long enough for her to start dropping through, just a couple of frames seems to be enough. As if Super Speed, SS/SSS, and the options of Warp edge cancels and 1/2 uptime Lightweight wasn't enough mobility... :awesome:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Where's Palutena? All I see on the CSS is the name Lightweight.

There really is no reason to not run Lightweight now that its greatest weakness has been essentially negated.

Wonder what the odds are of this finding its way to Sm4sh U with its longer debugging process.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
So I just found a interesting glitch related to lightweight and super speed.

If you use super speed with lightweight on it works normally and stop at the edge, however if super speed is on cool down and you hit hold side B close to the ledge then Palutena will get a large boost in horizontal momentum. This seem to work on any platform/stage.

edit: lol OKAY it seems you don't even need to hold B it just works.
edit2: LOL so it seems it works even without lightweight it's just not nearly as effective.

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Lol, did they even have playtesters for this game? XD
Nice find, will definitely have fun using this.
Palutena will still probably be bottom tier for life though.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I want to point out that this doesn't stack.

What I mean is if you do Lightweight > Lightweight > Lightweight in succession you won't get the duration of 3 Lightweights. Instead it will reset the time limit you currently have on Lightweight. So it's best to get use to the time limit Lightweight has and to replenish it when the time gets lower.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Wow.

I think this essentially turns her metagame on it's head.

This is an amazing discovery and it's not even that hard to pull off.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
laughing my ass off

good job @ mimgrim mimgrim breaking this character

I can't see many/any situations where Lightweight is no longer preferable.

This character was designed with an incredibly defensive playstyle in mind but seems to have developed into Sonic.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
So I didn't see a thread on this yet and thought that even if it is know it should get it's own thread.

If you are on a stage with platforms, Battlefield Yoshi's Island Brawl ect.., you can keep on using Lightweight while she is already in the state or in the negative state. It's very easy to do. You want to be in the Lightweight state or negative state of Lightweight. Get on a platform. Attempt to fall down the platform, hold on to down after you attempt to do this, and the really quickly preform Lightweight and she will preform the move again which will reset the move or make her negative state moot and give her Lightweight again.

I wish I had a camera to record but I don't. Hopefully someone who does can do that for me.
I got you covered. Recorded and uploaded of course giving you credit :)

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Thank you for this, it's super easy to do and super abusable.

It's interesting to also note that Shulk's custom hyper monado art technically makes him faster but it only lasts for like, 3 seconds so it's irrelevant. The normal Speed art is still slower than Palutena.

Last edited:

Smockers

Smash Apprentice
Seems a lot of weird things happen in Smash 4 with fall-through-canceled down-b's. It's what makes Peach's "turnip farm" tech possible. See here:

Wonder what else could be possible with other characters' down-b moves...

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I still like Counter and Fireworks in some situations. For Lightweight, it's still great, but we can only utilize it on stages with platforms, meaning we'd have to rid of FD and Omegas, and play on BF or YI (or Prism Tower if allowed) to do it. That's the only general weakness. Regardless, all these Palutena tricks are beautiful. Do I want to do this, Warp Cancel, or something? I never know. Palutena's stuff is really making her even more fun to play with. <3

Apple Jaxx

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jaxvex
3DS FC
3566-1709-4610
Her mobility with this, so god like. Trying to edge guard her is almost impossible with this and jump glide/jump glide bounce.

Djent

Smash Champion
If we don't get customs at KTAR and Apex, then at least there's a lesser chance of the balance team noticing the glitches during their most "active" period.

My ideal chain of events:
1) Apex bans customs
2) Nintendo uses Apex results to help balance 1.05
3) Palutena gets mad buffs, other high- and top-tiers nerfed.
4) People are like, "Eh, let's turn customs on now."
5) Divine Retribution

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Thank you for this, it's super easy to do and super abusable.

It's interesting to also note that Shulk's custom hyper monado art technically makes him faster but it only lasts for like, 3 seconds so it's irrelevant. The normal Speed art is still slower than Palutena.
It lasts for 6 seconds actually. But anyway, the only real reason to use Hyper Artes is for Monado Smash, it kills at 60% on an FD stage usually, its hilariously strong. If you can make extensive/great use of the small time you have with the Artes, you can be as effective or moreso with Hyper artes instead of normal artes.

ANyway, this glitch sounds amazing, definitely gonna try it when i get home later.

Seems a lot of weird things happen in Smash 4 with fall-through-canceled down-b's. It's what makes Peach's "turnip farm" tech possible. See here:

Wonder what else could be possible with other characters' down-b moves...
Next thing we know, there'll be a new glitch known as "Counter Mines". You do a Counter while falling through a platform, and the counter animation stays untriggered, but you can move your character around regardless. If you lead an opponent near it, and bait them to attack you in the same spot...They'll trigger the untriggered counter animation and take the hit. It makes for great mindgames/surprise attacks. : 3

Last edited by a moderator:

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere in this forum before but I haven't stumbled upon it myself.

Do you guys think Palutena's indefinite Lightweight was intentional? or I guess another way to ask this question is, do you guys think Sakurai will get rid of this in the next patch?

Greda

Smash Journeyman
If this works with Lightweight, does it work with Fireworks/Counter?

If this is used with Counter....

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
^ It definitely wasn't intentional, and yeah, I think it will be removed eventually.
How are you so definitely sure?

The 3DS had 2-3 updates and Grenunjas shadow sneak and things similar to the mechanic behind our infinite lightweight such as peach/link turnip/bomb canceling got patched out before the wii u release yet Palutena's infinite lightweight trick still works on both versions.

I am not as definitely sure as you are on whether or not this was intentional but I was messing around with Lightweight in non omega Palutena's Temple awhile back with some fellow smasher and that stage felt like her personal playground designed and tailored with Palutena in mind compared to other big stages. There's just so many platforms even in very obscure places that felt like charging stations for Palutena's lightweight. Obviously making a conclusion based off this speculation is illogical but I couldn't help but wonder if Sakurai felt the dependency on thirsting to get on platforms to recharge was a way of balance. I mean since when is sacrificing stage control to be above your opponent on platforms ever advantageous?

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Much to my dismay, rumor has it this glitch was removed with Patch 1.0.5. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:

Greda

Smash Journeyman
Much to my dismay, rumor has it this glitch was removed with Patch 1.0.5. Can anyone confirm this?
I suck at the glitch, but I chained some Lightweights together, so I believe it is still in,

Edit: aaand I just figured out how to do the glitch. It still works. Don't worry,

Last edited:

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I suck at the glitch, but I chained some Lightweights together, so I believe it is still in,

Edit: aaand I just figured out how to do the glitch. It still works. Don't worry,
Wonderful! Thanks for clarifying. :)

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
I'm gonna just say if Lightweight isn't patched this time then it's definitely intentional~

Djent

Smash Champion
Nah, it hasn't gotten all that much exposure in actual matches. Plus we don't know if they're paying equal attention to customs or not. There's a chance it could still fly under the radar.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
I don't think Sakurai and his team are that ignorant of what's going on with their own game. Give them more credit. It's been 6 months.

Last edited:
Top Bottom