• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Staying grounded vs. Aerial mobility

RichBrown

Smash Master
Recently I've been ******* around a lot in training mode trying to figure out as many wild ideas with Oli I can think of. I realized one of my issues is that sometimes I let people get me into a cramped space, and I get all claustrophobic and panic.

I realized that while Oli has the best ground game in the entire game, sometimes it's ok to go in the air. I think that with Wario, for instance, it's perfectly ok to jump and nair/fair him out of what he's trying to do, because it's too easy for him to shield pressure. Going in the air sometimes increases your mobility and allows for more chances to hit your opponent, and someone like Wario has a hard time dealing with that. Ya just gotta be smart about it, don't jump directly above him if he's on the ground or something, that's just dumb.

On the flip side, against a character like MK or Snake, it's important to stay on the ground. This was really evident for me against Havok's MK. His MK has developed a very strong ground game. What would happen was I would do SH pikmin throw, and then in that small window when I left the ground, he'd run in and tornado, or just get close to me, and suddenly I'd be really cramped. He beat me badly many times in a row due to this. Now when I play against him, I hardly leave the ground, and I just toss out a lot of Fsmashes and pivot grabs, forcing him in the air. The first time I played him after I adopted this strategy, I beat him 2-0. He got me the last time we played, but it was super close, and had more to do with me making really dumb mistakes that led to early stock losses.

I've become increasingly aware of just how many different options Oli really has. I attribute this mostly to talking to all of you guys individually, you've all taught me at least 1 option that I've never considered. So I'm at this point where I have all these new tools which I'm learning to apply, but not always quite sure how to apply them. So I'm catching myself leaving the ground or staying too grounded when I should be doing the opposite.

Which leads me to the question in the title: Stay grounded, or exercise aerial mobility?

It's obviously MU dependent. I really don't wanna turn this into a MU discussion (I was hesitant to post this at first because I wasn't sure how far the discussion could actually go without just straight up becoming a MU discussion, but after playing last night I realized it's actually kinda important for me). Also, I suck at actually running topics, so don't expect me to guide this at all haha.

I ultimately decided it's very important though, as the decision to stay grounded or go into the air could really swing a MU one way or the other.

I really feel like discussing Wario first. This is such an enigmatic (such a great word) MU, but just knowing your placement at the right time could be really helpful.

If you guys feel like discussing another character then go for it I really don't give a ****. Hopefully this can be helpful to you guys as well as myself.

=)

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Good read as always rich!

staying grounded vs going in the air really affects camping too in certain mus. Like falco and snake.

Honestly Olimar has to stay in mid range against all his opponenets. against us, some mus focus on trying to close the distance (Mk, marth, snake) while others perfer to be at a long distances and camp (falco, pit)

Like u said, against certain MUs it`s best to stay grounded. Which makes sense for characters that try to close the distance. Though for wario its best to stay on the ground then use some aerials when he`s inclose because of shield pressure. But when using olimar`s amazing ground game it gives characters a harder time to get close in the first place.

Against opponenets that camp from very far, depedning on the mu we should use the air to chuck pikmin to get in a little close. For olimar, against some top tier characters he gets outdone from far range and close range. Olimar needs that middle ground to win. To use aerials in this range you can short hop reverse whistle fair with the tip, then pull out an fsmash for range which is hard to punish. The you can mindgame your opponenet. Next time u short hop u can fair, and if your opponenet thinks your gonna fsmash he`ll shield`which allows u to grab or smash again once he lets go of shield and tries to close the distance.

Before we dsicover what the ratio is for the mu`s we need to know, we need to figure out how olimar is supposed to get to mid range (staying on the ground, short hop chucking) and what he should do while he`s there (aerials, grabs,fsmashes).

Denti

Smash Master
This is some what like the same topic i posted about regaining stage control and recovering, especially for the harder MUs.

I've found that staying COMPLETELY unpredictable and safe (this means avoiding their attacks, not using your attacks to counter theirs) when claustrophobic is best. Honestly when i'm cramped for spacing i try to spot dodge, roll, or whistle reversal into a safe unpredictable area(works well on stages that aren't FD, jumping to a safe unpredictable platform or planking on the edge while waiting for a stage transformation is a good idea). SH incomplete nair to up smash works to be unpredictable and getting your control back when they start to see this strategy. punish good spot dodge characters with jab when they get in your spacing because you can follow up well from jab and gain control. works well on MKs/flacos who like to run in your grill and spot dodge to follow up.

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
fair ***** everyone :D

olimar actually doesn't have a mediocre air game, he has an amazing one... fair is 7 frames

im constantly whistling yellows in front or 2nd in line so i can have super-range attacks all the time

RichBrown

Smash Master
One good aerial option I recently started using is when I miss an attack and they are close, I jump-whistle-nair-whatever attack will work.

Fearless: in case you didn't see my praise of your use of fair in the other topic... Well you use fair well lol.

so I think I should guide this discussion just a little bit. Let's start with Wario: how much of the mindset in this MU is grounded vs aerial?

Posting from my phone so ill give my thoughts later

Denti

Smash Master
Make a wall of defense and avoid fart. camp him hard with pikmin toss. Uair is great, nair is great, tether is great, F smash is great, grab/pivot grab is great, when on the ground we can run away from scary situations. fighting him from the air isn't too good of a choice, but suprising him occasionally with our air priority when underneath him works. don't be predictable when he is close. whistle isn't as usefull because Wario is really good with catching you with a bite and following up. when a wario is agro and your at his mercy, it's ugly. play it safe and unpredictable ggs

55-45 oli adv

RichBrown

Smash Master
You really go that airborne against MKs? I'm the opposite, probably 85% ground actually. It's too easy for him to run in when you leave the ground. I'd rather him come to me.

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
yeah dont listen to me i suck vs mk, denti is the super olimar mk matchup master.

how much ur in the air depends on the mk, but all mks love to do "safe" arials which are punishable only by fair\dair\bair.

im quitting this game zzz the melee scene is so much better

Denti

Smash Master
don't take offense, i'm not saying anything like that.

all i'm saying is, what are we guna do spending 85% of our time in the air against mk? he beats everything we have in a air battle, all we could rely on is hard predictions.

Denti

Smash Master
edit: so i've been acting arrogant lately on the boards and that's not right of me to do. I'm open minded to other playstyles. explain more in detail plz fearless

RichBrown

Smash Master
All I know is that I used to get ***** by Havok when I went into the air, then I 2-0ed him when I stayed on the ground.

A good MK will just wait for you to leave the ground, and then **** you.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I prefer to stay grounded against mk as well, the matchup got a lot better for me when I focused on it. Not just the mk matchup, but quite a few others as well. I get extremely aerial in some matchups though, haha. But I do think a good majority of my game is spent on the ground.

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
f you're in the air when they think you're going to be on the ground, you get major advantage (fair them, nair them, just land and grab etc)

If you're on the ground when they think you're going to be in the air, you get major advantage (grabs, safe unpunishable approaches)

In the air we will be taking alot of hits, but it's worth it if your opponent gets conditioned for long-term efficiencies. We play a char that can kill on the ground better than any other char, but we can also kill in the air pretty effectively which shouldn't be forgotten. Also, fairing a lot keeps your other kill moves fresh.

also, no hard feelings. I post like a **** when I'm high lol

Top Bottom