• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starting roster already revealed (SamuraiPanda's Conspiracy Theoracy) [Final Update]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Straight from the Show Me Your News podcast is my “conspiracy theoracy” (typo on purpose, you'd get the joke from the podcast) that the screenshot we got of the character selection screen on Friday is the actual starting roster. I’m just making this into a thread for those of you who don’t listen to the podcast (but should) and where we can keep the discussion.

***Final (?) Edit: Ok, so here is the deal. I've decided to change the way I formatted this post, because many people have ignored many of the points I've made throughout it, and decided to post counter-arguments without reading the first post. Also, this is merely a possibility. You cannot “prove” me wrong, nor can I “prove” I’m right, until the Dojo updates blatantly saying “this is the starting roster.” This ‘theoracy’ can merely become less, or more, likely upon debating.

And also, I think after this update is up for a few days, I may just lock the thread. I wrote this thread as a light-hearted way of saying, "don't rule out the possibility of this roster being the starting roster just because we saw the same character lineup in the demo." I don't see the need to constantly debate with people about it (as I don’t want this to be a possibility more than you guys do), nor do I see the need for people to resort to ad hominem arguments. The only reason for this update is that I gave my word I would do so, nothing more. This thread is becoming a cesspool of bickering and, oddly enough, anti-moderator hating. If the trend doesn't change after I update the post, then I see no reason to keep it open.

BTW, I kinda got bored while revamping the post, so other than the beginning parts, not too much has changed. Instead of taking a lot more time to revise more of my statements, I figured I’d just post it instead. I may come back and “complete” the update if I feel like it.***

As a disclaimer: I personally don’t want this to be true. But I think that a few main points of this “theocracy” definitely make this screenshot being accurate a possibility. Although, the screenshot doesn’t necessarily have to be the exact starting roster, just possibly CLOSE to the final starting roster (i.e. there can be a few additions, like Kirby or Zelda, but I don’t see the roster changing much more than adding a few characters or rearranging the order a bit).

This is the story: I never seriously thought about the screenshot being the final starting roster, because like most people I recognized that it was the same selection from the demo, and it would be outrageous for people like Kirby to not be starters. Then I thought about one simple thing… The Dojo is tailored for the casual smasher. There is no doubt about it. There are even updates that have blatantly said things like ‘in case you’ve never played a Smash Bros game before.’ So why would they use this screenshot? It made no sense to me, because normal people would think this is the character selection screen. And that’s when I started to think that maybe this could actually be possible…

We aren’t “supposed” to have known about the character selection screen. The Dojo is NOT tailored for people who broke down and analyzed everything in the E4All demo, it is tailored for everyone else. So the normal response to that screenshot would be “Oh, that’s the starting roster.” Not, “Oh, that’s from the demo so it can’t be real.”

Also, I’ve recently realized something else: This is different from the character selection screen seen in the demo.

This is the demo character select screen:

In the screenshot from the Dojo, the upper right hand corner has buttons for Items and Stages, there is also a countdown for the character selection, and “seeking” in the player selection boxes. Most people argue that Sakurai just put this screen up there because he "needed something" so he just used the demo roster for demonstration purposes only. But there are differences.

A few of you are probably thinking he maybe just photoshopped it a bit, and its not a big deal, but think about this: The only "important" parts of that screen (according to that argument) would be the buttons in the upper right, the countdown, and the "seeking" where other player selections are. So why wouldn't Sakurai just blur the character selection out and say that it is still secret? He's done that before... so why not again?

From here on out, I refute some of the most commonly stated arguments to this possibility. This is where the true “theory” begins, because everything from here on out is pure speculation on my part.

1. There is that one screenshot where the character select screen is blurred out… why isn’t the select screen shown there?

First of all, they’ve only updated 1 screenshot in the past. Second of all, check this out:

The more recent screenshot has a P2 Entry on the side there. But, the older screenshot is missing this:

So that could mean that they don’t always go back and update these pictures and/or that the co-op events mode is an unlockable mode (maybe after you play SSE through once with co-op?).

2. No Kirby! OMGWTF YOU’RE SO WRONG ABOUT THIS!!!111!!!

Calm down. Notice how I said before that this could be close to the starting roster? Kirby could still be a starter. But, there is actually some interesting reasoning behind why he may be an unlockable, if he really is…

I direct you to this quote from the Dojo that came with the update:

“But even without this mode, given the proliferation of the Internet these days, the existence of hidden characters is going to get exposed anyway.
So, this time I’m moving in the direction of not being too hung up on hidden characters.
You can earn most characters by playing through Adventure Mode: The Subspace Emissary. For those of you who look forward to those encounters, I recommend you clear this mode before playing Basic Brawl.”

What is the very first battle in the Subspace Emissary? Mario vs Kirby. You unlock him in the very beginning of the mode. Next match? Petey Piranha with Zelda and Peach in a cage. Save Zelda to unlock her. Sakurai is making the subspace emissary much more enjoyable for people to play by letting you rapidly unlock characters. Don’t you think its more fun if you unlock a bunch of characters while playing through it, instead of one every 2 hours? It’ll really make you want to play that mode, probably before you do anything else in the game. Also, think of the event mode. The very first event, which was already revealed, is DeDeDe and Bowser vs Mario. Beat that and you unlock DeDeDe. Sakurai is encouraging people to play all these different single player modes by having you unlock characters really easy/early/frequently, so that you play the whole thing through. In Melee, there were really obscure ways to unlock a lot of characters that most people would, and should, have taken a long time to figure out. But, because of the internet, we unlocked them all as soon as humanly possible, so there is no point in making unlockable characters so hard to obtain anymore (although there will invariably be a few that are very difficult to unlock).

3.5a You can select Kirby in the first battle in the subspace emissary instead of fighting against him

Well, that video could easily be a person “replaying” SSE, where you can choose to play with Kirby. But that if that isn’t the case, I have another reason this could be true.

As others have already pointed out, this game is not 64, nor is it Melee. This is 6 years after the originals were made. So why do you assume you have to battle against the person you're about to unlock? I could easily see you having to win this battle with either Mario or Kirby (who could go on to fight Petey?) to unlock Kirby.

Also, remember that SSE is Co-Op. Wouldn’t it be boring for the second player if only the first player could fight every time there is a 1v1. So how do you get the second player involved? You can't just make the 1v1 a 2v1 whenever you're playing Co-Op, so maybe Sakurai just wanted 2 players to be able to play at the same time throughout most of the SSE (remember, you get your second teammate really early in the game, as Kirby gets one after beating Petey, and Mario meets Pit immediately). But the only way to do let 2 players play in the first match is by letting the players choose who they want.

3.5b Peach is on the starting roster, so why not Zelda?

This may be a bit tough for people to get, but it makes perfect sense to me. When you are going to battle Petey Piranah, do you know which princess you want to save? Do you even care? Frankly, I think most people (like myself) don't care which princess they save. It simply doesn't matter either way. But wait, what if you could unlock them? Well, it still wouldn't matter since you'll have to do both at some time or the other. But what if only ONE was unlockable? That is more than enough incentive for me to want that unlockable one. Badly. And honestly, I think it would be alot more fun if you actually cared which cage you opened.

4. No Kirby, but Metaknight? Yeah right.
There is no way you can have only veterans in the starting roster, that’s ridiculous. You have to include newcomers. So who do you include? Well, if I were Sakurai, I would try to include at least one really cool, fun to play, unique, and noob-friendly character. One person that fits this perfectly is Metaknight. He is freaking awesome. How many people, who didn’t know/care about Metaknight before SSBB have fallen in love with how cool he is? Including him in the starting roster would make sense. Especially since its so easy to unlock Kirby anyways. Plus, you may meet him much later in the emissary, which is a good reason to have him unlocked from the start since he is so appealing to new players.

EDIT: Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying he would be a starter because he is popular. I'm saying he would be a starter because he has alot of "WOW" factor, meaning people who are looking forward to really different characters from Melee would enjoy playing Metaknight alot because of his originality, overall coolness, etc.

5. Sonic? Sakurai said he’ll be an unlockable! And why is there no Snake?!?
Yes, I know. I did the translation where he said 3rd party characters will be unlockable. But probably one of the reasons they never officially translated the blog into English was because everything he said is subject to change. Whenever I talk to casual smashers (and many hardcore ones too) about SSBB, and I mention Sonic is in the game, you know what they say? “Oh man, that is the FIRST character I’m playing with.” I’ve gotten that response incredibly often. Plus, having Sonic in the game is a HUGE selling and advertising point. It only makes sense that he’s playable from the very beginning. Snake, on the other hand, is not nearly as “huge” to the SSBB series, or to fans worldwide as Sonic. Comparing the two would be silly.

Many, many people have pointed out this qoute from the E4A update on the Dojo: "The problem is Sonic. What to do... I suppose if we’re going to all this trouble, perhaps we should make him playable." This update was only in English. No other language. Did Sakurai write this? I don't think so, I think its much more likely Nate himself wrote this in Sakurai-style prose. But in the end, there is no way to tell who is actually saying this.

6. There is no way they can fit many more characters on that select screen.
Same with the stage selection screen. But is it really that difficult to imagine it zooming out when you unlock a certain amount? Do you think they can’t simply make the icons move places or rearrange? There are hundreds of things they can do besides the silly idea of squeezing everything into the available space there. That argument doesn’t mean anything. And how sweet will it be if we unlocked 26 characters instead of just 14? Can you imagine how fast we’d be unlocking stuff in the subspace emissary? It would be awesome.

Some new counterpoints were stated after the podcast was released. I don’t believe any of them are strong enough to completely counter my argument, but they are worth pointing out:

The order of the characters. The characters are in a pretty random order, unlike the previous games.

Actually, Pikachu was in the middle of Mario and Bowser before you unlocked secret characters in Melee. So rearranging the character select screen has been already done in Melee. I guess that actually strengthens my argument ^_^''

The major problem I have with the Conspiracy Theoracy is that it doesn't go along with the current box art. While it may be a moot point if Kirby, PT, and Wario are all unlockable relatively early (or of course, if the box art changes), it just seems weird to put characters on there that won't immediately be available to the person playing the game...But you made a very good case for the theory, so I don't think anyone can rule it out completely until we get an official announcement on the Dojo saying "Th... This is the starting roster, isn't it!?"

Like you said, those characters could potentially be locked very early (see the first few Co-Op events), or this boxart could not be the final box art. Plus, newcomers are the selling point of SSBB. If the game had exactly the same characters as Melee, not nearly as many people would care about it. If they want to sell the game even better than it already will, then advertising their newcomers are a great way to do it. And yes, I agree, nothing is truly confirmed until the Dojo announces it (nice Sakurai impression btw).

It's reasonable that Sakurai didn't want to show the starting roster, and if that's the case what would he put up? The E for All roster, of course; using anything else would be odd. What did he put up? The E for All roster. No contradiction there; this theory is sound too.

Easy, he can just say “then you go straight to the character selection screen!” There is no reason to show it. He does that often in Dojo updates, which makes me think he purposefully wanted to reveal the starting roster.

The only argument that it must be the starting roster (rather than that it may be it) that I recall was that someone watching Brawl news casually may not be aware of the E for All demo, so they would naturally assume that the shown bunch of characters are starters. If they aren't, they would think "WTF? I thought that I could play as Sonic right from the start"
First, I don't think that Sakurai would necessarily care. His updates haven't been exactly crystal clear; a few of them ("up until now") have caused a great deal of confusion. Additionally, casual people who didn't pay any attention to E for All probably aren't interested in analyzing each DOJO update to see what little tidbits of information have been leaked. We are, and I would bet that he is aware of it. It would follow, then, that the little details that we love so much to over-analyze are aimed towards us.
I agree that the little details are aimed towards us. Things like attacks, taunts, etc. But something like the character selection screen is a BIG detail that even the least analytical Dojo reader will be able to catch.

Try to be open minded with this, and don’t just say “you’re wrong because I don’t want this to be true although I can’t prove you wrong.” I don’t want it to be true just as much as you guys do, but I don’t see any gaping flaws in what I’ve said. If someone can try to prove me wrong through logic and reasoning, then by all means go ahead (keep in mind, it may take me awhile to answer you guys as I have my finals this week). Until that happens, it looks like we may already have our starting roster.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
To think, I was supposed to debate this theoracy on the spot. SamuraiPanda wins. If he is right about all this, I'm giving him a Mars bar.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
To think, I was supposed to debate this theoracy on the spot. SamuraiPanda wins. If he is right about all this, I'm giving him a Mars bar.
I don't get that whole Mars bar thing... it was in Smash Dash too :/

And yeah, I guess that is a bit much to argue on the spot. To think, the whole theoracy came to me in about 10 seconds after I considered the possibility that it might be the starting roster ^_^

But seriously, I'm going to go study now. No more slacking for me.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Unlocking Kirby was justified (...i guess)...but unlocking Zelda and not Peach, and having to unlock Red and Wario is epic fail.

Someguy13

Smash Cadet
If thats true it would suck at the end of SSE just announcement after announcement telling you that you unlocked a character that you already assumed you unlocked because he/she was playable in SSE but not in the starting roster.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Wow, I'm really impressed by this SamuraiPanda. I do think this is our starting roster guys. Very good SP...

+1

Chill

Red
BRoomer
plus, I don’t think he can justify a whole update for the starting roster
Hm, if he can "justify" a update on munchlax he can do the same with the starting roster. Eh, I don't care either way if it is or isn't as long as the full roster is great.

edit: The boxart really works against your argument considering that it has always shown the starters. You see this character on the box? You can't actually play as him until later! Haha.

Your theory contradicts itself, you say 'he wants you to keep playing so you unlock characters quickly'. If I can unlock the full roster in just a few hours why would I play the 10 hour subspace mode?

Cless

Smash Champion
Maybe Sakurai does want to give us a new experience, but why not just keep the Melee starters and add the 5 newcomers to that?

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
Hm, if he can "justify" a update on munchlax he can do the same with the starting roster. Eh, I don't care either way if it is or isn't as long as the full roster is great.

edit: The boxart really works against your argument considering that it has always shown the starters.
But didn't Smash 64 not show all the starters? I thought?

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
I see your points and actually thought about this before you said it, but dismissed it as false, mainly because I don't want that to be the character select screen. The only qualm I have against it, deals with the organization of the screen, which I addressed in the SMYN thread, so I'm just gonna go ahead and quote myself.

I actually agree about hoping that Samurai is wrong, but not about what characters are there, but about the format. Call me a freak, but I'd prefer an organized screen like they had in Melee, rather than random characters place in unusual slots. I reckon I'll get used to it, but it's just one of those little things that annoys me. I guess I'm too used to the placement of all the characters from Melee and Smash 64.
This isn't really an argument, but more of something that annoys me. Who knows though? They could easily rearrange the screen at any time.

Iceman2219

Smash Rookie
Dang, being able to unlock all those characters sounds like insane fun. I want this to be the starting roster now :p

Bmm

Smash Cadet
though your logic is amazing, and you've really thought this through, it's hard for me to believe that they would show unlockable characters on the cover... but seeing sakurai's new approach on hidden characters, who knows....

Puffs

Smash Ace
It doesn't matter too much. I'm completely satisfied if this is the starting roster (Sonic doesn't even deserve a spot in the game, why the hell should he be unlockable?). Besides, most of us will have very character within two weeks of owning the game.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
I just don't see the logic in some characters being included while others were not.

Meta Knight, a major character, yet not the main character, over Kirby, the main character. Also note Peach being in the starting roster whereas Zelda is not. Pokemon Trainer and Wario are missing from the starting roster, yet they're still on the boxart.

Furthermore, several veteran characters that were starters in Melee are not on that roster. I really do doubt Sakurai would make them unlockable, as there would be no fun to see "Warning! Challenger Approaching!" but you see Captain Falcon or the Ice Climbers show up... There would be no suprise.

Another thing is that I really do not believe that Sakurai would reveal this many hidden characters already. He didn't do that for Melee, so I don't see why he'd do it now.

Overall, this thread did not change my opinion on the matter at all. Normally I'm willing to listen and agree with ya, Mr. Panda. But I dissagree with you here.

I guess we'll have to wait until the 15th.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312

edit: The boxart really works against your argument considering that it has always shown the starters.
Thanks for reminding me; I was going to use that as an argument, because the last two games had all the starters on the front, or all the characters on the front were starters.

But didn't Smash 64 not show all the starters? I thought?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Supersmashbox.jpg

It doesn't show all the starters, but all characters on the boxart were starters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Super_Smash_Bros_Melee_Players_Ch.jpg

I think that's all the starters on there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:SSBB_Cover.jpg

Now the question is, will Brawl follow the same pattern? There maybe no pattern at all, since two is hardly a number to determine a pattern from, but it seems likely that the starters would be on the cover.

Furthermore, several veteran characters that were starters in Melee are not on that roster. I really do doubt Sakurai would make them unlockable, as there would be no fun to see "Warning! Challenger Approaching!" but you see Captain Falcon or the Ice Climbers show up... There would be no suprise.
I would feel excited to see Captain Falcon unlocked. How did you feel when you unlocked Jigglypuff and Luigi in Melee?

Erave

Smash Cadet
You could be right, but personally I just have a feeling this won't be the starting line up. Now we can sit here and argue and counter argue a thousand times back and forth but no ones going to really know. I just think this line up lacks something that is cohesive for a starting lineup.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Hm, if he can "justify" a update on munchlax he can do the same with the starting roster.
I think updating the starting roster is bigger than Munchlax.

Sakurai can get away with a lot of updates that are pointless. Examples include: You Must Recover! (duh), Shielding & Dodging (because this won't be in the game manual, right?) ,friend codes (see shielding & dodging)

The Director

Smash Lord
LOL. You really think Kirby is unlockable? Wow. :laugh:

Okay, here come some real counterpoints:

And here's a hole in your logic: aren't you able to choose between Mario or Kirby for the very first level of SSE? We've seen footage of both Kirby and Mario fighting Petey in SSE, meaning depending on the outcome of the first battle depending on who you choose there are different story paths.

And for all the other people who think Kirby's unlockable, here's proof why he isn't:

He's on the boxart of the game. (<--- All the proof you need.)

He was one of the characters in the first trailer.

He was one of the first characters to be given a bio on the Dojo.

He was a starter in Melee and 64.

He's Sakurai's little baby.

And the same logic that says Kirby is unlockable also says Sonic is a starter. Oh, and here's the clincher:

"I am planning on having people play the game—but with limited character selection.

The problem is Sonic. What to do... I suppose if we’re going to all this trouble, perhaps we should make him playable."

Sakurai said this on the Oct. 12th update entitled New Launch and E for All. The characters showed in Friday's update were these so called 'limited character selection' characters that we were shown at E for All. This conspiracy theory has about as much validity as the one that said there are aliens at Area 51.

Puffs

Smash Ace
I think updating the starting roster is bigger than Munchlax.

Sakurai can get away with a lot of updates that are pointless. Examples include: You Must Recover! (duh), Shielding & Dodging (because this won't be in the game manual, right?) ,friend codes (see shielding & dodging)
Widescreen Support. y halo thar, Banjo-Tooie!

AIM0001

Smash Lord
These are interesting points but I still don't understand why Sonic is a starter. I think Sakurai was only treating the people who played the demo at E4ALL. If your thoery is proved true I think there's a chance they will change Sonic's slot with somebody else. But I do kinda disagree with this theory for the fact that there's only 14 characters on the selection screen. On Super Smash Bros. Melee n there were also 14 starters. Seeing how Brawl will have more characters this time around, I think will have just a few more starters this time around. Even know will be unlocking most in Subspace including vets like Kirby(Which I still not sure if I can even believe that) I still don't believe this is the starting roster. But this is probably the best theory out of all of them, so for that I will credit you, I'll credit you even more if you are right.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
I'd agree... somewhat, at least. I just don't see the Kirby thing as being too right.

For example... you can CHOOSE to either fight as Kirby or Mario in the first fight. So... you would be playing as Kirby, then you unlock him?

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
The problem is Sonic. What to do... I suppose if we’re going to all this trouble, perhaps we should make him playable."[/I]

Sakurai said this on the Oct. 12th update entitled New Launch and E for All. The characters showed in Friday's update were these so called 'limited character selection' characters that we were shown at E for All. This conspiracy theory has about as much validity as the one that said there are aliens at Area 51.
Saying "limited character suggestion" could mean just the starting roster. As for the Sonic part, I'm stumped. I don't see any way around Sakurai's words.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
I'd agree... somewhat, at least. I just don't see the Kirby thing as being too right.

For example... you can CHOOSE to either fight as Kirby or Mario in the first fight. So... you would be playing as Kirby, then you unlock him?

*start Subspace*
*Choose Kirby*

Congratulations! You have unlocked Kirby!

*Rescue Zelda*

Congratulations! You have unlocked Zelda!

Two characters being unlocked in one stage seems un-Sakurai'ish, even if they weren't Kirby and Zelda.

Byron X

Smash Journeyman
SamuraiPanda, I agree completely. This is a whole new game which means new traditions or should I say new ways?

Spellman

Smash Ace
I think that this is right, this probably will be the starting roster.

Although, I find it mighty peculiar that they'd put unlockable characters on the cover of the game, like Pokemon Trainer and Kirby. I mean I know they're selling points but still.

But yeah, other than that, I'm pretty convinced that it's the starting roster, and I'm not upset about it. There is plenty of blue space to be trimmed off those character pictures and whatnot to make room for the many others.

And to Blayde Axel/edit: and the other people who I just noticed brought it up, I doubt you get to choose to be Mario, remember when he gets blown away by the Bullet Bill right before the fight? I'm pretty sure he got launched somewhere into the sky where he met Pit (as we have already seen screens of Pit and Mario together.)

I haven't seen Mario vs. Petey though... did I miss it?
Never mind, I seen it in the delay movie, there goes my original theory! :p

Cless

Smash Champion
As for the choosing to fight as Kirby, Sakurai can set the game up so that you unlock some things as you get to certain events. Beating the first SE battle might unlock Kirby regardless of whether or not you choose him.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
I'm sorry, but whenever someone says "Kirby" and "unlockable" in the same sentance, I cringe.

InvincibleAgent also makes a good point, though not very. There are some instances where what he says is not true.

Tony_

Smash Ace
Straight from the Show Me Your News podcast is my “conspiracy theoracy” (typo on purpose) that the screenshot we got of the character selection screen on Friday is the actual starting roster. I’m just making this into a thread for those of you who don’t listen to the podcast (but should) and where we can keep the discussion. I know I've locked a few threads in the past for saying what I'm about to try and prove because they never convinced me (mostly because they never gave reasons). Sorry about that. But at least feel happy that this thread will stick around.

As a disclaimer: I personally don’t want this to be true. But I think that the majority of the facts prove that it may indeed be true. The points I make are counterpoints to the reasons people use to “prove” that this isn’t the starting roster. Without further ado, here are arguments often made by people, and my counter arguments:

1. This is the same character selection screen from the demo. Its obviously for demonstration purposes only.

First of all, we aren’t “supposed” to have known about the character selection screen. The Dojo is NOT tailored for people who broke down and analyzsed everything in the E4All demo, it is tailored for everyone else. So the normal response to that screenshot would be “Oh, that’s the starting roster.” Not, “Oh, that’s from the demo so it can’t be real.” They aren’t going to change up the character select screen all of a sudden. Also, it isn’t strange at all for the demo to use the starting roster.

2. There is a blatant lack of Kirby...

I direct you to this quote from the Dojo that came with the update:

“But even without this mode, given the proliferation of the Internet these days, the existence of hidden characters is going to get exposed anyway.
So, this time I’m moving in the direction of not being too hung up on hidden characters.
You can earn most characters by playing through Adventure Mode: The Subspace Emissary. For those of you who look forward to those encounters, I recommend you clear this mode before playing Basic Brawl.”

What is the very first battle in the Subspace Emissary? Mario vs Kirby. You unlock him in the very beginning of the mode. Next match? Petey Piranha with Zelda and Peach in a cage. Save Zelda to unlock her. Sakurai is making the subspace emissary much more enjoyable for people to play by letting you rapidly unlock characters. Don’t you think its more fun if you unlock a bunch of characters while playing through it, instead of one every 2 hours? It’ll really make you want to play that mode, probably before you do anything else in the game. Also, think of the event mode. The very first event, which was already revealed, is DeDeDe and Bowser vs Mario. Beat that and you unlock DeDeDe. Sakurai is encouraging people to play all these different single player modes by having you unlock characters really easy/early/frequently, so that you play the whole thing through. In Melee, there were really obscure ways to unlock a lot of characters that most people would, and should, have taken a long time to figure out. But, because of the internet, we unlocked them all as soon as humanly possible, so there is no point in making unlockable characters so hard to obtain anymore (although there will invariably be a few that are very difficult to unlock).

3. No Kirby, but Metaknight? Yeah right.
There is no way you can have only veterans in the starting roster, that’s ridiculous. You have to include newcomers. So who do you include? Well, if I were Sakurai, I would try to include at least one really cool, fun to play, unique, and noob-friendly character. One person that fits this perfectly is Metaknight. He is freaking awesome. How many people, who didn’t know/care about Metaknight before SSBB have fallen in love with how cool he is? Including him in the starting roster would make sense. Especially since its so easy to unlock Kirby anyways. Plus, you may meet him much later in the emissary, which is a good reason to have him unlocked from the start since he is so appealing to new players.

4. Sonic? Sakurai said he’ll be an unlockable! And why is there no Snake?!?
Yes, I know. I did the translation where he said 3rd party characters will be unlockable. But probably one of the reasons they never officially translated the blog into English was because everything he said is subject to change. Whenever I talk to casual smashers (and many hardcore ones too) about SSBB, and I mention Sonic is in the game, you know what they say? “Oh man, that is the FIRST character I’m playing with.” I’ve gotten that response incredibly often. Plus, having Sonic in the game is a HUGE selling and advertising point. It only makes sense that he’s playable from the very beginning. Snake, on the other hand, is not nearly as “huge” to the SSBB series, or to fans worldwide as Sonic. Comparing the two would be silly.

5. There is no way they can fit many more characters on that select screen.
Same with the stage selection screen. But is it really that difficult to imagine it zooming out when you unlock a certain amount? Do you think they can’t simply make the icons move places or rearrange? There are hundreds of things they can do besides the silly idea of squeezing everything into the available space there. That argument doesn’t mean anything. And how sweet will it be if we unlocked 26 characters instead of just 14? Can you imagine how fast we’d be unlocking stuff in the subspace emissary? It would be awesome.
I disagree with your theory completely. IMO, it wouldn't make sense to FORCE people to play SSE just to use their favorite character, although I DO see your point on unlockables and how rapidly people would unlock them, thus adding to the experience. This whole theory just doesn't make sense. The only secret character other than third parties that are revealed on the Dojo that make sense is Dedede.

The third party unlockable stance should hold IMO and the SSE should be where you unlock the majority of the newcomers and a few veterans like Luigi and Captain Falcon.
The game will have over 40 characters and with a starting roster of 20 we should have plenty to unlock.

xzakcorex

Smash Journeyman
Though I agree with the majority of your points, I'm still unconvinced that this is the final starting roster. I have no doubts that it is by-and-large the majority of the starting roster, but I anticipate a few changes before release day.

Oh, and there was one of your points that I thought I'd pick on...
1. This is the same character selection screen from the demo. Its obviously for demonstration purposes only.

First of all, we aren’t “supposed” to have known about the character selection screen. The Dojo is NOT tailored for people who broke down and analyzed everything in the E4All demo, it is tailored for everyone else. So the normal response to that screenshot would be “Oh, that’s the starting roster.” Not, “Oh, that’s from the demo so it can’t be real.” They aren’t going to change up the character select screen all of a sudden. Also, it isn’t strange at all for the demo to use the starting roster.
I totally agree that the statement, "Oh, that's from the demo so it can't be real" is completely implausible, but I also have to say that your statement of "They aren't going to change up the character select screen all of a sudden." is equally incorrect. Firstly, we have no idea how long the "current" playable select screen has been in production for. As far as we know, the version of the game showing those characters could have been produced MONTHS before it was even shown at E4All; then, if changes had been made to the playable roster since then, it wouldn't have just "changed up all of a sudden," now would it have? No, indeed. Just because this is what we've been shown does not mean it is what's current (Not saying that you have ever tried to imply that).

Secondly, and more revealing (I believe), is the fact that- if any of you were lucky enough to also have attended- Nintendo had a big cross-country event for the pre-release of the Gamecube, in which Smash Bros. Melee was playable months before its release (I unfortunately do not remember the specific name of the event or the date, but I assure you on its validity). In this demo version, the playable starter roster was the same as the final version's MINUS Zelda. So, while I do agree that it isn't that strange at all for the demo to use the starting roster, it is also not that strange at all for the demo to NOT use the starting roster.

I do believe that time will show that this is fairly close to the final starting roster, but time has shown that there very well may be some changes in the (near) future. Because of this, I really feel like this first argument of yours is far to ambiguous to support either side of the debate. The fact that this is the "current' playable roster neither confirms nor denies that it will be the final roster, and using it as an argument, in my opinion, detracts from what is otherwise a very well put-together post.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I actually just finished listening to the recording an hour or so ago after Sariku wouldn't tell me anything else. I'll try and remember everything that went through my head and put it into counter-arguements here, point by point.

There are two major reasons why I think that the two rosters are not the same.

First: the current development copy of Brawl probably has some sort of toggle temporarily programmed into the game. It probably has three settings: Start, which turns on the starting roster for beta testing of varying unlockable methods and how the roster looks as more slots are filled. Final, which turns on the complete and final roster of the game for beta testing and balancing all-around. Last, is Demo, which turns on the selected roster seen, obviously, in the playable demo.

So, why did they choose the Demo setting out of these three? Simple. The Final setting is self-explanitory. The Start setting may give away a few unconfirmed veterans, such as Captain Falcon. The Demo setting was the logical choice as it gives light to nothing unknown, and has already been seen publicly, regardless of it being at a show with a limited audience.

The last question to ask, of course, is: why didn't they create a new roster assembly showing us everything we currently know? Again, simple. It was a lot easier - and faster - to use a setting already seen by the public eye than to create a new setting just for a single screenshot.

Also note, this same theory applies to the stage select screen. But, in addition: the stage selection is oddly missing a Donkey Kong stage, which leads me to believe that it's not the starting set. Why have two DK characters in the starting roster with no stage to call home?

Second: Every character that was left out of the playable demo was left out for very specific reasons. Think about it...

Kirby was left out because of complications with his Copy ability. This isn't so far-fetched, Kirby was left out of the first Melee demo too, IIRC. Zelda and Lucas were left out because of the obvious suspense surrounding characters they share close relation to: Sheik and Ness. Again, Zelda was left out of the first Melee demo for this very reason. Ice Climbers were left out because of buggy Nana AI. Pokémon Trainer was left out because of the new - and probably still buggy - stamina feature ruling over his three monsters.

Wario and Snake are the only ones without explanation. My initial thought was their crawling ability, but Pikachu is also known to crawl from the trailers. I think Gimpyfish also reported crawling being completely incorporated in the demo.

2. There is a blatant lack of Kirby...
There just really isn't any excuse for Kirby to be missing. The only way I can put this is harshly: coming up with a reason for Kirby to be unlockable is just forcing evidence that this roster is our final starting roster.

I do like the idea of rapidly unlocking things as one traverses through the Subspace Emissary. However, Melee held variations on how to unlock every character in the game. You could even unlock them solely through playing multiplayer! So why would they go through so much trouble to promote the single player mode as to drop two unlockables in the first two path splits?

If it's so easy to unlock characters through the SSE, I'm afraid to think of how little multiplayer matches will need to be played to earn the same characters. Unless, of course, they take a step backwards in only having characters obtainable through one option. But why would they do that? Sakurai knows people like to play their games differently.

3. No Kirby, but Metaknight? Yeah right.
I agree that the roster can't be made up of only veterans. But there were only four immediate additions to Melee's starting roster, and quite frankly, the first three additions to Brawl (Meta Knight, Pit, Wario) should be more than enough newcomers to give the starting roster some variety and flavor. Note that I'm not saying Meta Knight should be unlockable, but...

Meta Knight is included as a starter over Kirby because he's popular? Give me a break. Ness was popular. Captain Falcon is popular. Sheik is popular. Marth is popular. Ridley is popular. See where I'm going with this?

4. Sonic? Sakurai said he’ll be an unlockable! And why is there no Snake?!?
See the latter half of my above arguement against character popularity being a factor. Also refer back to Sakurai's original opinion that third party characters should be unlockable to achieve that "guest star status" feel.

5. There is no way they can fit many more characters on that select screen.
I agree. The selection will obviously be shifted around and scaled depending on characters unlocked. Melee's was, if you recall. Pikachu once resided between Mario and Bowser, until Luigi was unlocked and took his proper place in the roster.

However this goes against one of your very first points under the first topic:

They aren’t going to change up the character select screen all of a sudden.
If it's so readily doable and programmed in as an actual part of the game, what's to stop them from using this function at any given time?

My final point is quoting something from the Dojo itself. You'll find this little hottie at the very bottom of the main page. The language is your choice, I'm sure it's the same in all forms:

Screen shots on this site are all under development and subject to change.
Final Disclaimer: Just like SamuraiPanda's original theory, everything I've said is, of course, pure theory. I certainly don't know how the inner-workings of the development copy of Brawl works, I can just make certain assumptions and theories based off of my basic knowledge of how creating such a project works. So don't take anything too literally. This is all in good fun and debate, after all.

Brentos4o8

Smash Ace
I find your statements very true and thoughtout.
The big selling point for me was the argument of the 3rd party charactersand newcomers being the characters that attract the new players.
Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom