• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starting melee again

freeshooterxigbar2

Smash Apprentice
Hi sorry if I'm doing this in the wrong spot this is my first post. Anyway I wanted to start playing melee again but I never use to use wavedashing, L canceling, SHFFL, and all that stuff so I'm literally starting all over. I guess I'm asking for your help I know most of the terms I think so you can use smash terms. Please don't hate me or call me a noob or whatever I just want to start being more a part of melee.

MaxTheSlayer

Smash Cadet
Pick fox on training mode a try to shffl without hitting the other guy. Thats how i learned it.

null55

Smash Master
practice one by one:

SHing
SHing and then doing an aerial
SHing and then doing an aerial and then fast falling (get a feel for the peak of your character's jump)
SHing and then doing an aerial, then fast-falling, and then pressing R/L/Z as soon as you hit the ground.

eventually you'll understand that situations vary, and it's not ALWAYS a good thing to FF, or doing an aerial ASAP out of a jump (but obv these things are also necessary at some point), but it's def always necessary to l-cancel.

unkn0wnn00b

Smash Rookie
try do Dair - Shine with fox in training mode when u get not 1 after the dair shine u performed the l-cancel example ur dair hits 4 times and then shine u should have 5 Hits when u get 1 u didnt l-canceled

Pur3 Smash

Smash Cadet
remeber though even though u understand these techs and how to do them u still ned to keep practicing them regulerly its got to be second nature to u so keep practising so u can do it without thinking its all in the musle memory and good luck new player and welcome to the compeditive part of melee

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
When you can do all the advanced techs without thinking about them, your tech skill will be about halfway where it needs to be. You'll find ways to become even faster as time goes on.

By the way, fighting level one CPUs is a good way to practice tech skill.

Pur3 Smash

Smash Cadet
well where do u live if u live close enof im shure i could prob teach u some things in person or show u through my webstream on what basicly u need to practise and how to practise them easily on ur own

Pur3 Smash

Smash Cadet
When you can do all the advanced techs without thinking about them, your tech skill will be about halfway where it needs to be. You'll find ways to become even faster as time goes on.

By the way, fighting level one CPUs is a good way to practice tech skill.
yea but to a extent there some things u gotta learn through accualy playing other people because once u get the tech skill down ur gonna want to implament it into ur play and the only way really to get it in to ur character is by playing other ppl

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
yea but to a extent there some things u gotta learn through accualy playing other people because once u get the tech skill down ur gonna want to implament it into ur play and the only way really to get it in to ur character is by playing other ppl
I never said I don't play people regularly. I attend a college with a large Melee community (20+ decent or good players in the area). I go to tournaments and smashfests all the time.

But practicing tech skill on CPUs or in training mode is extremely important. Playing only humans isn't enough to learn how to do Ice Climbers' ledge chaingrab or Fox's nair shine.

freeshooterxigbar2

Smash Apprentice
Thanks guys for the advice. First Let me practice the advance technique then I'll see where I can practice. I have a sister who plays ssb so we'll see. But seriously thanks.

freeshooterxigbar2

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah any advice on moonwalking? One of the characters I use is Falcon and I'm having so much trouble getting it down. I read the guide and watched vids on it but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Pur3 Smash

Smash Cadet
lol honestly bro im right there with u ive watched countless vids and read many threds on it and i practise it all the time but i can never get that down lol but if i ever start getting the hang of it ill help u out with it to

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Oh yeah any advice on moonwalking? One of the characters I use is Falcon and I'm having so much trouble getting it down. I read the guide and watched vids on it but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Moonwalking is useless and on top of that it's really difficult. I know how to multi moonwalk and I can tell you right now there's no point in learning it.

Pur3 Smash

Smash Cadet
yea pretty much it is pointless but its cool its usefull if u wanna have a really flashy falcon and its even more funny if u do it any make ppl miss a attack and get compleatly open for a knee

Sixonesix

Smash Apprentice
For short moonwalks (the most common version) here's what you want to do:
1. Dash in the direction you want to moonwalk (to gain momentum)
2. Tap the control stick in the opposite direction
3. IMMEDIATELY after, move the control stick to the other side as fast as possible without going through the center (or you'll just dash in that direction)

It can kinda be used for edgehogging and edgeguarding with bair, but honestly nobody will look down on you for not using it in a serious match. It looks cool but it just isn't all that viable.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Any other advice would be apriciated
Yea dude watch the Advanced how to play videos, those will help a lot with performing advanced techniques. But also A big peice of advice I would give you is to not force AT's into your game where you're just wavedashing randomly. STORY TIME!

When I first got into melee AT's I just forced them into my playstyle and wavedashed randomly while my opponent was coming at me. Wavedashing is something you have to feel in your game and not force. after about 5 months or so of just knowing how to wavedash I decided to not do it forcefully, one day as I was fighting a match I found myself about to get hit and I didnt want to, but there was no way out, but I had to move. Then it came to me...WAAAAAAVE DAAAASH!

Top Bottom