• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starfox rivalry! Falco vs Fox (for the fox matchup guide)

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice
Aside from the chaingrab>spike, Fox probably does have the advantage in killing, however he is lighter, and can also be killed more easily. Falco's U-smash, fresh kills Fox at about 110-120, depending on DI. Fox's kills Falco's at about 90-100 (I think, not completely sure) depending on DI. However, Falco, in my opinion, has a great defensive game, and can usually avoid killing attacks and play defensively with SHL/DL (Short hop laser/double laser), IAP (Immediate Aerial Phantasm, virtually no lag), and AAA combo (Due to its high priority and range). The IAP also keeps Fox from shining all day. So I would agree that Falco has the advantage, in my opinion at least 60-40. However, Fox also has killing combos from the dair, so even if Falco plays defensively, a single mistake could spell death.
Just my 2c.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Fox has to be wary of a few things
1. Lasers. Reflector just doesn't cut it, good Falcos will bait you into thinking they're going to use lasers and instead beat you across the face. Many times lasers are also kinda hard to predict
2. CG. Fox's vertical recovery is really good but CG - Spike can be deadly if you don't cancel fast enough and if the Falco is good at timing hogs
3. Priority. Falco's moves are pretty weird in terms of priority (lol jab and ftilt), so just don't be confused >_>;
4. Phantasm. Falcos will tend to Phantasm around. If you're pretty far away from Falco he has three options: approach from available platforms, laser and phantasm. Throw a USmash out during any of those and you will be pretty safe (unless the Falco is coming at you from a low platform or something)

Just play it safe and just use laser to tack on damage when you can, DThrow -> Fair, DAir at lower percents...jab and UTilt often for the setups and just try to keep a good distance so that Falco has limited options that are easily predicted.

z3r0C0oL

Smash Apprentice
I would say its 50-50. I always go Fox against a good Falco player, its a fun match and my Fox tends to do well against the Falco's ive played. its usually never a one sided battle, always going back and forth.

Fox can kill much easier

Falco has chain grab+spike, though it probably wont kill a good Fox player

Fox can combo Falco really well as he is a fast faller. Dair or Dash attack to upTilts, to grab, Dthrow, to Fair or a number of different combonations that can lead to 50-60ish percent

Falco, can Spike. Fox can Shine Spike Falco

Fresh Upsmash kills Falco at 87% on Final D

Falco's bair is awesome, easy as pie to land!

Fox's bair is hard to land, but it is stronger than Falco's.

Falco's Forward Smash has great hit boxes and lands easier than Fox's Fsmash.

Fox's Dsmash has more reach and is stronger than Falco's. That can be really bad for falco as it sends opponents down and away, Falco's worst way to recover.

falcos lasers are good at stopping apporach if SHDL

Fox lasers shoot extremely fast and can rack up damage quick, which is bad for Falco if he get comboed to 50-60ish percent, just a few hits+ lasers till Fox can kill him.

Falco can space Fox really well with lasers and Shine

Fox is faster then Falco, and can maneuver around said lasers and shine better than most characters

I think its a toss up. The better player shall prevail.

Its too close to call, either way, its basically even.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Falco destroys Fox, 0-60 + edgeguarding every stock is too good Fox to handle. Falco is also better at spacing and the fact that his grab game is so **** brutal makes Fox rely on spacing. Falco also has the gatling combo of **** and much better edgeguarding.

There's no real reason Falco should be getting up-smashed in this matchup, either... and Falco's lasers stun.

IAP can be jabbed or laser'd.

z3r0C0oL

Smash Apprentice
I forgot to mention that Falco is wayyy better online, thats why i learned him :p His moves stay out longer and have larger hitboxes.

Edit: I could be dead wrong and have only played crappy Falco's. So if anyone in Socal would like to play me, just hit me up here or on allisbrawl

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
IMO I'd say 65-35 Falco

Fox's F-Smash is hard to sheild grab, since it pushes you away a little.

CG's own fox hard, can get you up to 70% if you do a 50% CG to Gatling Combo to Bair(escapable) or Spike

Falco's Deffensive Game > Fox's

Fox's Killing Power > Falco's

Falco's Laser > Fox's

Falco's Dash Attack > Fox's

Falco has some pretty good things going on for him, and you can Up-Tilt Juggle Fox easily.

AlbelsPanties

Smash Cadet
About all I can say that hasn't been covered is don't get too aggressive with short-hopped dairs, because it seems to lose out to Fox's upkick.

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
yeah most of it has already been covered, falco has a nice advantage against fox 65/70% for falco seems about right

basically fox has to watch for the grab at low percents and falco for the usmash at high percents

Top Bottom