• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Wars

th0rn

Smash Lord
Star Wars Episode 1. Qui Gon Jin and Darth Maul were too good. Plus, the lightsaber battles were nicely done.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
I like the idea but how would that work though? I think that would work better in a star wars rpg or something.
This might be best used for a SW video game, where you get to choose the outcome.

This would probably be the perfect SW game if made for Wii: Lightsaber battles using the remote (ina ddition to blaster fights), and here's a kicker: use the Wii Remote and nunchuck as handlebars for a speederbike. Oh, and if the game went through all six movies.

Antz

Smash Apprentice
This might be best used for a SW video game, where you get to choose the outcome.

This would probably be the perfect SW game if made for Wii: Lightsaber battles using the remote (ina ddition to blaster fights), and here's a kicker: use the Wii Remote and nunchuck as handlebars for a speederbike. Oh, and if the game went through all six movies.
:cool: Using the nunchuck and remote would be cool for pod racing or using them 2 fly a Tie fighter!:cool:

The Killer Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
I think The Empire Strikes Back is the best movie.

And has anybody played any of the games in the Rogue Squadron series?
It would be cool if they made another game for the Wii, but I doubt that will happen.

Antz

Smash Apprentice
I never really played the Rogue Squadron games but the BattleFront games were badazz!

Kitten

Smash Journeyman
Hero's Quest! It worked for Jesus, and it certainly worked for the original trilogy. While it's a pretty basic, and very old, story construct it usually yields, with a bit of talent and creativity, a pretty good story. One of the reasons Lucas wrote the original three, or at least something he decided to do after he had begun planning it, was giving all of the major characters plotlines that follow the Hero's Quest. In contrast, the main reason he mad the second three films was because he wanted to wear a suit made entirely out of 100 dollar bills. It turned out that Hero's Quest was pretty much all he was good at, and, in my opinion, the second three were a failure because of it.

Also, he has ****ty dialogue.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
I think the majority of people think the older films were better. Basically the reason for making the prequels was to explain the origin of Vader, that there was more to tell behind the mask. It also kind of gives the series a moral sense, that at the beginning we can be seduced easilly but in the end we can always come back to the good side.

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
The Old Trilogy

STAR WARS EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE - This is the last of the first three Star Wars films that I saw. The day I saw it was the same day I went to see Episode II. I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but this was okay. It had a good space fight at the end, but I don't really have much to say on this. This would be my fourth favorite one of the series.

STAR WARS EPISODE V: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - This is the first one I saw (of course, I was so young then that I don't remember when that was). This is my second favorite out of the entire series because it is much darker than Episode IV, and I like how things start growing worse for the group, and, of course, you learn about Darth Vader being the father. I still stand by this when I say it, but I don't think Mark Hamill is a very good actor, and I always crack up when he screams "NOOOOO!" After Vader's speech.

STAR WARS EPISODE VI: RETURN OF THE JEDI - This is the second Star Wars film I saw, and I always liked it because it had good action scenes (the pit in Jabba's palace, the Endor chase, the Death Star attack, and Luke and Vader's fight). The thing I really liked about this one was seeing Darth Vader's face. This is my third favorite of the series.

The New Trilogy

STAR WARS EPISODE I: THE PHANTOM MENACE - I was 12 when this came out, and I liked it then, but I don't now. Natalie Portman... Terrible... That kid who played Anakin... Terrible... and annoying. Then there's Jar Jar Binks. Definitely could have done without him (at least Lucas learned his lesson and didn't give him much in the next two). The fight at the end was good, and Liam Neeson was very good (too bad they killed him off after one movie), but for the most part I didn't like this one. My least favorite of the series.

STAR WARS EPISODE II: ATTACK OF THE CLONES - I remember hearing that this one was going to be 10 times better than Episode I... Well, it was better, but not by that much. The biggest problem I have with this one is that it centers around a love story between two characters being portrayed by bad actors (especially Hayden Christensen). It did have some good actions scenes, though, and had moments that reminded you of the old series (like seeing the death star, and the star destroys, and the clones), but too much boring love crap between Anakin and Padme. This one wasn't too bad. It would have to be number five on my list.

STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH - The last one I saw, and by far my favorite one for one reason, the emperor. I was never too big about Darth Vader... I liked the emperor better. I felt that this one had plenty of emotional moments like when the Jedi's get wiped out, and when Obi Wan watches Anakin burning in flames, and of course watching the republic turn into the empire. Also, I thought John Williams had a fantastic score for this one. Lots of good vocal use. The only thing that really dissappoints me is when Darth Vader screams, "NOOOO!" It sounds so cheesy... Like father, like son I guess. I also liked the 'load the cannons" type space battle at the beginning.

In order:
Revenge of the Sith
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
A New Hope
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace

The thing that gets me about people is when they say, "Lucas lost his touch," when speaking of Episodes I-III. I have to disagree with that. Did anyone ever stop and wonder why Georgie didn't do I-III first? Even the Simpsons said George Lucas lost his touch (and I also like the fact that the show admitted why Star Wars is somewhat overrated right before it by having Lisa explain that what made the first three Star Wars films was the action and special effects, not the acting or writing). The truth is, the first three episodes were supposed to be very political, and most people find politics to be boring. So no, Georgie didn't lose his touch, he did them exactly how they were always meant to be.

My favorite line out of the entire series has to be, "To ensure the security and continuing stability, the republic will be re-organized into the first Galactic Empire. For a safe and secure society." Very chilling.

My Thoughts on the Series Overall
-Pretty good series, not the best.

Lucas will probably do more Star Wars films... Once he opens his wallet and sees that he's down to his last billion dollars, he'll make some more.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
What's wrong with Natalie Portman? She's the hottest woman in SW. All we need is a very revealing shower scene with her...

And yes, I crack up when I hear the two "NOOOOO!!!"s too.

smashman90

Smash Lord
Episode II was alright. nothing really good about but it wasn't a bad movie. Episode III was the best out of the prequel trilogy, the one thing that I disliked the most about Ep. III was that they didn't have the person who did the voice of Gen. Grievous in the Clone Wars cartoons do the voice for him in the movie.

Kitten

Smash Journeyman
I don't think she's incapable of acting well or anything. She was good in Garden State, at least. George Lucas has always had bad dialog. In fact, most of his characters are pretty archetypal. Hans Solo, tough guy who is good at heart and loyal, even if he wont admit it. Leia, stuck up bratty character at first glance, who proves to be a friendly and romantic character as the story progresses. Luke, the good at heart guy who refuses his call to power at first, but eventually comes to meet his destined task and eventually defeats the evil that shrowds the land not with the power that is given to him by the wise sage, Obi Wan in this case, but with some power that he has always had.

I just realized I went of on a completely random tangent. Oh well.

Skywalker

Space Jump
I don't think she's incapable of acting well or anything. She was good in Garden State, at least. George Lucas has always had bad dialog. In fact, most of his characters are pretty archetypal. Hans Solo, tough guy who is good at heart and loyal, even if he wont admit it. Leia, stuck up bratty character at first glance, who proves to be a friendly and romantic character as the story progresses. Luke, the good at heart guy who refuses his call to power at first, but eventually comes to meet his destined task and eventually defeats the evil that shrowds the land not with the power that is given to him by the wise sage, Obi Wan in this case, but with some power that he has always had.

I just realized I went of on a completely random tangent. Oh well.
(Bump)

It has been nearly thirty years since the public release of Star Wars. Characters like the ones you mentioned weren't as common as they are today: aspiring young hero, laid-back "sidekick," strong-willed female, wise elder. So yeah, these sort of things are a bit bland after seeing them time after time in video games.

Return of the Jedi is my favorite. The "gang's" return to Tatooine hooked me in like any good movie should, and the battle on Jabba's sail barge was too awesome for words. The battle in the Emperor's throne room tugged at my emotions as I felt empathy for both Luke and Vader.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Episode 5 and 6 are the only ones that were good because Lucas had little to do with dialogue writing at possible. He didn't even direct Empire or Jedi.

Ami

Smash Ace
Yay, Star Wars! I'm a huge fan. Anyway, my favourite movie is ... well, I don't really have a favourite, but I really do like The Phantom Menace, mostly because I love Liam Neeson as an actor. Episode II was okay; but I really loved the Geonosian arena. The Acklay was so cute - that praying mantis insect thing, I don't really know what it's called.
"I was beginning to wonder if you'd got my message."
"I retransmitted it to Coruscant, just as you'd requested, Master. Then we decided to come and rescue you. "
"Good job." I love the look he gives Anakin after he looks at his handcuffed hands.
I thought Episode III was well done, in terms of plot and graphic, and the "Master Skywalker, there are too many of them, what are we going to do?" really got me.
I guess in conclusion, all the of the movies are and will always be my favourite.

How many years did episode III take place after episode II?
Yes, it was three years I think. Anakin was three years older in Episode III.

Well maybe Luc will spit some more SW movies out...I doubt he will just let it end like that
There is a rumour that there will be an Episode 0. I've done some recent research on it, and there are some mixed information out there.
1. Lucas won't be directing it.
2. The story will revolve a lot around the origins and life of Yoda.
3. It will be more about the midichlorians, as they were briefly introduced in Episode I, but know one really knows what they are.
That's what I've heard anyway.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Ah, I doubt it'll get off the ground. Yoda is cool, but I wouldn't like to see a whole SW movie made after him. Lucas should just leave the midichlorians mysteries to fan speculation.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Lucas didn't direct or write the script for the 2 best Star Wars movies. His dialogue SUCKED in retrospect in A New Hope, Indiana Jones even had evidence of this as well. Lucas is so out of touch with his sanity, that he is basically like Peter Jackson.

He doesn't need blind praise anymore.

Skywalker

Space Jump
Lucas didn't direct or write the script for the 2 best Star Wars movies. His dialogue SUCKED in retrospect in A New Hope, Indiana Jones even had evidence of this as well. Lucas is so out of touch with his sanity, that he is basically like Peter Jackson.

Lucas created a fresh, gripping sci-fi tale with bits of mythology.

Empire and Jedi would not exist if Lucas didn't.

smashman90

Smash Lord
I hated the fact that in Episode I they revealed the fact that the force was caused by midichlorians. It just kinda took the mysteriousness from it. Who is your favorite star wars character(s)? Mine are Boba Fett and General Grievous (the clone wars Grievous, not the episode III one).

Pit 42

Smash Lord
I like Obi-Wan. His character progression is perfect throughout the series. He is played perfectly in unison between Ewan McGregor and Alec Guiness.

I didn't see a problem with the dialouge in the first four Star Wars movies (which Lucas directed), or the Indiana Jones films. Sure, it may seems cheesy at times, but I believe Lucas made the Star Wars films the best. He was the one who wrote them in the first place, so he best knew the source material. He knew exactly what he was doing, while the other directors of V and VI may not have understood what they were doing as well as Lucas did.

Even so, I thoroughly enjoyed VI, even more than any of the prequels. But I believe that V relied a tad too much on comedy, which, in part, may have been the director's fault.

falcoX

Smash Champion
The Hall of Eternia, Exactly 10 miles west of the
I like Obi-Wan. His character progression is perfect throughout the series. He is played perfectly in unison between Ewan McGregor and Alec Guiness.
I agree completely. he is such an important character throughout the entire star wars saga, first as a reserved yet confident pupil, a patience yet cautious master, a fearless general, and finally a wise old mentor. Obi Wan is great! And the actors who played him are phenomenal imo.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
I agree completely. he is such an important character throughout the entire star wars saga, first as a reserved yet confident pupil, a patience yet cautious master, a fearless general, and finally a wise old mentor. Obi Wan is great! And the actors who played him are phenomenal imo.
On a side note, I heard that in his spare time, Ewan McGregor watched snips of the original trilogy (custom made by Lucasfilm) to study Obi-Wan's movements and actions.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I can enjoy all of the Star War films except for Episode 1, which is a shame, because that had the best light saber fight in the whole series.

I can enjoy them, but I do not think that Episode II and III are good films, which is a shame, since Episode III (plot wise) should have been best. My favorite films are V and VI, in that order.

Kotor did a much better job at that universe then the prequels. I'm not a Star Wars fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I was really engrossed in the story and world of when when I was playing those games.

The dialogue really is terrible.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Ya, in the movie, he kinda seemed a little...weak.

But I personally hate the Clone Wars cartoons. I don't know wheather it's my loathing of manga or what, but I just have a sour feeling about them.

Ami

Smash Ace
On a side note, I heard that in his spare time, Ewan McGregor watched snips of the original trilogy (custom made by Lucasfilm) to study Obi-Wan's movements and actions.
Yes, Ewan studied Alec's mannerisims and stuff so that he would seem more authentic.

I don't now, every time I watch the Star Wars films (which is a lot), I still can't see anything wrong with the diologue. Maybe I'm too engrossed in the action to be worried about the diologue, but I'm fine with it.

However, the thing that really ticked me off was when they released the special trilogy DVD set for the old trilogy, and they replaced Sebastian Shaw (unmasked Vader) with the
"younger version" of Darth Vader portrayed by Hayden at the end of the Return of the Jedi when he returns in "ghost" form alongside Kenobi and Yoda. Grrrr, that was horibble.

But I personally hate the Clone Wars cartoons. I don't know wheather it's my loathing of manga or what, but I just have a sour feeling about them.
Huhn, sorry for asking, but what does manga have to do with the Clone Wars cartoons?

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Maybe it just looks like Manga to me. I was never a cartoonish type person, and the Clone wars, to me, looks like manga.

And yes, it ticked me off, too when they replaced the older Vader with Hayden Christiansen.

Ami

Smash Ace
Well, just for the record, Clone Wars isn't manga or anime for that matter. Manga is the graphic novel version, so do you mean manga or anime?

So ... does anyone here collect Star Wars merchandise?

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I had a collection of Star Wars ships when I was younger (they were really small, but I had around thirty) and my mother accidentally gave them to good will...I miss my Slave I :(

Top Bottom