• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Tropics' Mike J. for SSBB

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
parrothead said:
Yes, but seeing that this is a Smash Bros. forum, I would think most people would rule out all the others, since only one is a video game character (not to mention a Nintendo character)...
But I guess yo can't fix stupid... :ohwell: At least this isn't the Nsider forums...

BTW was Mike J. anywhere on your overlooked Nintendo characters?

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
With Mike Jones being so overlooked, why wouldn't Nintendo want to add him in? They've already re-released some other older Nintendo titles. Let's face it: Ice Climbers never had a huge following - cult status, perhaps, but not much more than that, no? StarTropics is similar. By improving him and revamping him for SSBB, they open up new doors for themselves: higher chances for next-gen sequels with mroe recognizability (thanks to a possible appearance in Brawl), and more possible profits from playing it on the Virtual Console (I dunno if they plan to make you pay to use it or not). Reinventing an old cult favorite like Mike Jones has its advantages. They did it to Pit; why not Mike Jones? =)

parrothead

Smash Lord
Aeris said:
With Mike Jones being so overlooked, why wouldn't Nintendo want to add him in? They've already re-released some other older Nintendo titles. Let's face it: Ice Climbers never had a huge following - cult status, perhaps, but not much more than that, no? StarTropics is similar. By improving him and revamping him for SSBB, they open up new doors for themselves: higher chances for next-gen sequels with mroe recognizability (thanks to a possible appearance in Brawl), and more possible profits from playing it on the Virtual Console (I dunno if they plan to make you pay to use it or not). Reinventing an old cult favorite like Mike Jones has its advantages. They did it to Pit; why not Mike Jones? =)
Because StarTropics and Zoda's Revenge were designed for the Americans and Europeans only. Nintendo might let the Japanese and other countries try StarTropics and Zoda's Revenge out, by telling them that Mike Jones lives in large cities like Kyoto, Japan, Sydney, Australia, and other large cities.

Nintendo should review on the obscure titles (including the Japan-Only) ones and see if they really can sell well in other countries. Other American Nintendo characters are Nester (Howard & Nester comics, To The Earth, Nester's Funky Bowling, and Pilotwings 64 as Lark), Tin Star (Tin Star), and the Elite Beat Agents (Elite Beat Agents).

I have a feeling that Nintendo won't even put Mike Jones and other American Nintendo characters in as trophies, making them continue fading away with the Virtual Boy and the Color TV Games.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Star Tropics was the **** back in the day. I really doubt they will put him in though. It would be really cool if they did. Star Tropics was basically Zelda with a Tropical Setting.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Well, you actually argued a good reason why it should appear, parrothead: to help the japanese audiences see what they missed. It's just like us and Fire Emblem in Melee. It would be the perfect "world-friendly" touch from Sakurai, anyways, as Deathborne implied.

EDIT: Something cool I found. Anybody play Zelda Classic? Well, here's a nifty Star Tropics Quest, for all you guys to explore :laugh:
http://texasdex.com:1234/zelda/startrop.html

Kirby PopStar

Smash Cadet
FlipTroopa said:
Yeah, those jokes are getting lame XD

Mike would completely pwn Smash Bros., but I wonder if they'd bother. It'd be a nice slap back to Japan for giving us Japan Only characters, though.

Too bad he's a lot like Ness :/
You pretty much covered everything I wanted to say right in your post.

It would be really cool to have an America-only character due to them having Japan-only characters. His trophy for the game he is from could say "North America ONLY" in the way that trophies often say "JAPAN ONLY", etc. And Star Tropics was a classic in my opinion, so I'd love it.

But, once again, he is quite similar to Ness in a few ways. Furthermore, the people making this game would need to know enough about the game he is from for accuracy purposes, and I'm guessing much of the development team, being in Japan, has not played it. :psycho:

Hyper-Link

Smash Ace
Kokichi said:
Who? Mike Jooooones. Who? Mike Joooooones.

I don't listen to rap, but the only song I have with him in it is Yin Yang Twin's Badd. The phrase "I'm lookin' for a dime, that's top of the line, cute face thin waist with a big behind" is catchy, chi :p

That is all ^_^

You are so cool now. You are my favorite Mod ever now

To come to a forum where you are like the only guy who listens to rap, and then outta the blue, the mod sings one of the catchiest hooks from 2005, hear on SmashBoards.....

It's like christmas :)

And plus, I'm one of the many members here, who'd much rather see the rapper Mike Jones than that Archie comics lookin dork :chuckle:

parrothead

Smash Lord
StarTropics Mike Jones came first before the rapper Mike Jones became well-known. I remember hearing some people say "OMG Kirby looks like a $#!++y Pokemon!"

Also, the protagonist of Battle Clash and Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge is named Michael Anderson, which some of you would picture one of the Space Shuttle Columbia astronauts.

And Mr. Dream from the second NES Punch-Out!! is from Dream Land, but that was before Kirby was born.

All of these are coincidences, get over it already.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Lord_Deathborne said:
What is it going to take to stop these ****ed Mike Jones (the rapper) jokes!?
The topic clearly states Mike Jones from the Star Tropics series - jeez...

To avoid confusion (as well as intentional idiocy) you could refer to Star Tropics' Mike Jones as Mike J. ala C. Falcon for Captain Falcon...
They did stop, the last joke about him was 3 days before you posted that.

Anyway, I don't want him to be in this game, so many other characters deserve a spot over him. (I'd also rather see Mike Jones the rapper over Mike Jones from Star Tropics too)

Hyper-Link

Smash Ace
parrothead said:
StarTropics Mike Jones came first before the rapper Mike Jones became well-known. I remember hearing some people say "OMG Kirby looks like a $#!++y Pokemon!"

Also, the protagonist of Battle Clash and Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge is named Michael Anderson, which some of you would picture one of the Space Shuttle Columbia astronauts.

And Mr. Dream from the second NES Punch-Out!! is from Dream Land, but that was before Kirby was born.

All of these are coincidences, get over it already.
Nah, Mike Jones is a mediocre rapper, and even he is more well known and popular than that NES dude

HE GUEST STARRED ON PRISON BREAK, THE BEST NEW SHOW ON FOX IN HISTORY!!! I don't see the NES Mike Jones guest starring on Prison Break.

We should redo the topic seeing as how more people want the Black Mike Jones instead of the other guy

parrothead

Smash Lord
Are you drunk or something?

FlipTroopa, do you know what the name "StarTropics" looks like in Japanese? I even used Excite.Co.Jp (which is better than Babelfish and Google) and I don't know what the name looks like.

GenG

Smash Lord
parrothead said:
Are you drunk or something?

FlipTroopa, do you know what the name "StarTropics" looks like in Japanese? I even used Excite.Co.Jp (which is better than Babelfish and Google) and I don't know what the name looks like.
スター トロピクス (Sutaa Toropikusu).

parrothead

Smash Lord
GenG said:
スター トロピクス (Sutaa Toropikusu).
I appreciate it GenG. I used it in Yahoo! and Google, and I couldn't find much information about it.

The only flash movie I could find based on the StarTropics series is this one.

burrito

Smash Lord
FlipTroopa said:
Well, you actually argued a good reason why it should appear, parrothead: to help the japanese audiences see what they missed. It's just like us and Fire Emblem in Melee. It would be the perfect "world-friendly" touch from Sakurai, anyways, as Deathborne implied.
Ugh, no offense, but I think that's a stupid reason to put him in. It wasn't like Sakurai said "LOL LETS ANNOY THE AMERICANS BY ADDING CHARACTERS THEY DON'T KNOW". Fire Emblem was Japan only, but the fact that it was such a popular and long running series is why they included characters. It meant there was a possibility of it being brought to the US. Startropics is an old forgotten about game and I don't see any possibility of a modern day sequel. Mike Jones would only work as a nostalgic character and what's the point of a nostalgic character if only North America knows him. If they go for another nostalgic character, they would have someone everyone could remember, like balloon fighter or something.

I could totally see him as a trophy, though.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
burrito said:
Ugh, no offense, but I think that's a stupid reason to put him in. It wasn't like Sakurai said "LOL LETS ANNOY THE AMERICANS BY ADDING CHARACTERS THEY DON'T KNOW". Fire Emblem was Japan only, but the fact that it was such a popular and long running series is why they included characters. It meant there was a possibility of it being brought to the US. Startropics is an old forgotten about game and I don't see any possibility of a modern day sequel. Mike Jones would only work as a nostalgic character and what's the point of a nostalgic character if only North America knows him. If they go for another nostalgic character, they would have someone everyone could remember, like balloon fighter or something.

I could totally see him as a trophy, though.
I was familiar with Star Tropics long before I knew what the hell Balloon Fighter was. And that series was an equally forgotten about series until that cameo appearance in SSBM. At any rate, this argument is even more unfounded than that you make your case against by asserting that only series that we are "familiar with" or popular. You seem to miss the whole point of SSB - it is meant to represent ALL of Nintendo, not just the more popular segments. Sorry if this comes off as offensive, but if you're going to shoot someone's argument down, you need to provide a better counter-example than that...

Also, the whole reason Star Tropics was brought up was the fact that it is probably the best known NON-Japanese Nintendo release - that is a series that was exclusive to North American and European audiences, which was (and still is to some extent) a novelty we rarely got in those days. In that sense, it would serve to make it a more "world-friendly" release by adding as diverse an ingredient as such. At any rate, that's my two cents.

EDIT: I'm aware Star Tropics was oringinally a North American release, but his as since achieved a cult-following in Europe aswell thanks to the advent of ROMs (as well as a little practice called importing...).

burrito

Smash Lord
You totally missed my point. If they were going to add a character for nostalgia value, it would be a character that people around the world can remember. They're not going to just add Mike Jones because he only showed up in the U.S. The more "world freindly" thing to do would be to add a character from a game that has been released around the world.

Edit: Oh, and your post wasn't offensive at all. Stating your opinion doesn't offend me.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
burrito said:
You totally missed my point. If they were going to add a character for nostalgia value, it would be a character that people around the world can remember. They're not going to just add Mike Jones because he only showed up in the U.S. The more "world freindly" thing to do would be to add a character from a game that has been released around the world.

Edit: Oh, and your post wasn't offensive at all. Stating your opinion doesn't offend me.
And it seems you missed mine. For nostalgic world-wide release characters, we already have Pit, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game & Watch. My suggestion was to include atleast one Western-only to somewhat counter-balance the Japan-only characters. Sakurai said he dosen't want to place too much empasis on the Japan-only characters, but some ARE going to make it in (I'm expecting to see Takamaru and Stafy). And you must admit that Star Tropics is much more widely known than other Western-only titles, like Tin Star (I'd like to see him too, but it's not gonna happen...).

EDIT: And your point is a good one, but I'd like to see more variety. That's all.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
The only point I'm attempting to argue is that Mike is a great addition for a more Western character, considering we've already seen them include Japan only characters and Sakurai made that comment about being more world-conscious and not doing ONLY Japanese characters. It would make sense, as I see it, to include "world-conscious" submissions like, yes, Balloon Fighter or Pit, who are widely popular, but also "local flavor," considering that if Japan is allowed signature submissions, so should other regions.

And Fire Emblem was a very popular and established series... in Japan. At the moment of Melee's release, it was a Japan-only addition. Sakurai said so himself.

I'm not trying to kill any other arguments here, or put down people, just clarifying my point.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
FlipTroopa said:
The only point I'm attempting to argue is that Mike is a great addition for a more Western character, considering we've already seen them include Japan only characters and Sakurai made that comment about being more world-conscious and not doing ONLY Japanese characters. It would make sense, as I see it, to include "world-conscious" submissions like, yes, Balloon Fighter or Pit, who are widely popular, but also "local flavor," considering that if Japan is allowed signature submissions, so should other regions.

And Fire Emblem was a very popular and established series... in Japan. At the moment of Melee's release, it was a Japan-only addition. Sakurai said so himself.

I'm not trying to kill any other arguments here, or put down people, just clarifying my point.
Thanks for clarifying FlipTroopa, I started out defending your point but then went in to my own - sorry for the confusion. However, all of the SSB64 and most of the SSBM characters are already from worldwide releases, so Sakurai may have ment region exclusive (for the time being, atleast...) characters to the mix. I must admit, though things aren't looking too good for Mike... :( Here's hoping Sakurai's team is willing to do some exploring. I mean, it's something alot of us Nintendo fans do... especailly parrothead it seems... (I wish I knew Japanese... or atleast for a greater availability of English language patches...)

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Lord_Deathborne said:
Thanks for clarifying FlipTroopa, I started out defending your point but then went in to my own - sorry for the confusion. However, all of the SSB64 and most of the SSBM characters are already from worldwide releases, so Sakurai may have ment region exclusive (for the time being, atleast...) characters to the mix. I must admit, though things aren't looking too good for Mike... :( Here's hoping Sakurai's team is willing to do some exploring. I mean, it's something alot of us Nintendo fans do... especailly parrothead it seems... (I wish I knew Japanese... or atleast for a greater availability of English language patches...)
To be quite honest, I've learned a lot about these games just by biting the bullet and playing them in Japanese :p And when I get confused or need background info, there's good old Google :p

I think if you have a knack (Nack the Weasel, what? XD) for video games, and moreso design and gameplay, you can figure out what works and what's a good idea. Researching history helps, which is where sites like Wikipedia and Nintendo Database come in a lot of handy. And, of course, genuine interest. Why else would I have forced Takamaru down everybody's throat? (and ever so subtly. mwahahahahaha!!)

I just learn about the games by reading www.the-magicbox.com , www.jeux-france.com , and surfing Gamefaqs. I may not know as much as I lead on, but I try. I remember beating Minish Cap in Japanese before it actually came out Stateside, and being like "...wtf just happened." But you can do it, and you may not know what's going on, but you've got the edge over everybody else who's stuck behind :laugh: It's a good feeling, albeit elitist, to realize character like Takamaru, Stafy, Mike, Little Mac, etc., over the more popular ones (i.e. Wolf, Waluigi, and so on). It is snobbish, but it makes you feel more... in the know.

I just wish Nintendo themselves was more "in the know" sometimes. They only recently started using Super Mario Bros. 3 stuff in the Mario spinoff games, and Yoshi's Island STILL goes ignored (other than those abominable babies). Just imagine: if that's happening to MARIO, how long before they rediscover their cult franchises >.<

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Yeah. Actually, I have done alot of research of Nintendo's history (mostly through Wiki), what I meant is that I wish I could enjoy those games more fully by being free of not knowing what the @*#% I was doing - I had alot of that trouble in Fire Emblem 3 (Awesome game, BTW)... I was somewhat familiar with Stafy, Tomato Adventure, and Magical Vacation way before parrothead brought them up, just didn't have that much interest in them at the time (Tomato Adventure looks fun...). Nazo no Murasamejou and Joy Mech Fight were fairly new to me though, thanks to them not only being Japanese only, but also buried in the old Famicom library... oh well... regardless, SmashBoards has become an invaluable resource for this kind of information - which Wiki unfortunately often lacks... for the more obscure titles, that is...

parrothead

Smash Lord
Lord_Deathborne said:
Yeah. Actually, I have done alot of research of Nintendo's history (mostly through Wiki), what I meant is that I wish I could enjoy those games more fully by being free of not knowing what the @*#% I was doing - I had alot of that trouble in Fire Emblem 3 (Awesome game, BTW)... I was somewhat familiar with Stafy, Tomato Adventure, and Magical Vacation way before parrothead brought them up, just didn't have that much interest in them at the time (Tomato Adventure looks fun...). Nazo no Murasamejou and Joy Mech Fight were fairly new to me though, thanks to them not only being Japanese only, but also buried in the old Famicom library... oh well... regardless, SmashBoards has become an invaluable resource for this kind of information - which Wiki unfortunately often lacks... for the more obscure titles, that is...
The reason why I started mentioning obscure Nintendo titles, is because I am sick and tired of seeing threads about Geno, Petey Piranha, Ridley, Blaziken, Daisy, Sora, Master Chief, and other overrated characters. If Sakurai allowed people to submit anime/manga/comic book/cartoon characters, then I would submit obscure ones like the Kinnikuman/Ultimate Muscle wrestlers.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
parrothead said:
The reason why I started mentioning obscure Nintendo titles, is because I am sick and tired of seeing threads about Geno, Petey Piranha, Ridley, Blaziken, Daisy, Sora, Master Chief, and other overrated characters. If Sakurai allowed people to submit anime/manga/comic book/cartoon characters, then I would submit obscure ones like the Kinnikuman/Ultimate Muscle wrestlers.
You know... something funny I've been realizing. When I was growing up, Ultimate Muscle wasn't that obscure. Neither was Earthbound. Or Bonk. But I guess the original gaming generation is grown up now, and being replaced by a younger crowd. My brother's 13, and he has no recollection of playing the SNES or Genesis (though he has when he was younger). The only memories he's created of things like Sega making consoles, Pokemon just coming out, and Mario 3 are ones that he retroactively creates in the here and now. It's cool that he can appreciate that stuff, but it's a very bizarre thing to be so familiar with it myself and be "Oh, this is so obvious!," not seeing that there are others out there who are younger and don't see it so obviously. There are people who don't remember there never being a Waluigi, or Sonic without all the anime elements and side characters. Part of the reason I'm so turned off by the idea of Shadow or Megaman.exe appearing in Smash is because, well, they're not what I'm familiar with. To me, it's like "those **** kids with their skateboards."

I think the most shocking for me, though, was to see all these people calling Pit an obscure Nintendo character. I always remembered him as like Link and Samus's brother, who just got screwed and would be coming back for revenge some day. He was always a top dog as far as I remembered, and most older gamers still held him in high regard, even if he hadn't appeared in a game for 15 years. But to the current crowd he's some old-school Ice Climbers type character, and that's how it is I suppose. Majority rules; what people believe is more important than what may be true.

Ironically, one of the few binding factors between generations is wanting Sonic in this game. For different reasons, yes, but it seems it's a universal thing. Older gamers want it to end that stupid rivalry, and younger games just can't see it any other way because it's so obvious to them. My brother knows Sonic isn't and never was a Nintendo character, but cannot see him NOT appearing in this game, because it's so clear to him, being so young, that Sonic has some sort of history, and that Sega will likely sell his soul to Nintendo. I've always seen it in a more historical/business kinda way, which makes me some old coot to a lot of other gamers, I guess. The fact that I actually remember and strongly believe Bonk will appear in a sea of "who the hell?" comments shows that ;)

But anyways, that's my little rant for tonight. Read it as you may.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Good pooints, as usual FlipTroopa. But I think that most older gamers want Sonic in for nostalgic value rather than to resolve the epic rivalry of old. Just remebering the good ol' days of the 16-bit era console wars - of SEGA and Nintendo at each others thoats with no clear winner (in fact, it is still contested as to who won out OVERALL). To me, those were the days when the people who knew how to make games were running the show - before greedy ultra-corporations like $ony and Micro$oft bullied their way to the top with their infinite capital - throwing SEGA out of the picture and putting Ninty in a bad position for years to come. The way they run the show, the industry may be bound for another Crash - And to all you naysayers, noone saw the Great Crash coming before 1982 either. Sure the scenario is sinificantly different from then, but the similarities are quite frightening... Lucky for us the Wii is going a different route.

Whew... I got way off topic, didn't I? Well, this post doubles as a rant and a bump. Mike J. for SSBB!

parrothead

Smash Lord
There is a problem for StarTropics being on the Virtual Console: The "747 Password".

How will Nintendo troubleshoot this problem, by modifying StarTropics itself? I know people can look it up online, but what about the ones without a PC? Of course this isn't a very bad problem, but it reminds me of the Japanese password part of Custom Robo GX for GBA, which no one (but I) found out what the password is.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
parrothead said:
There is a problem for StarTropics being on the Virtual Console: The "747 Password".

How will Nintendo troubleshoot this problem, by modifying StarTropics itself? I know people can look it up online, but what about the ones without a PC? Of course this isn't a very bad problem, but it reminds me of the Japanese password part of Custom Robo GX for GBA, which no one (but I) found out what the password is.
...they can just mention it on the little descrip of the game. Not difficult at all.

TridenT

Smash Cadet
I can't imagine they'd sell us full-fledged, legal retail games on the Virtual Console without including a digital-format version of the instruction manual. So, surely, they would include 747 in there somehow.

(No instruction manuals in the VC would be a deal-breaker for me, sadly. I always bust out and read the instructions. It's my thing. :p )

At any rate, Dr. Jones' nephew for SSBB!! (I ran into the StarTropics/rapper confusion on another forum already, so this wasn't unexpected. Saddening, but not unexpected.)

He could easily have a strange playstyle crossover between Ness and Link. Faster Yo-Yo and Bat movement, B-moves could be all kinds of items he's used... a moveset for him would be very easy to create.

(And in my humblest of angry American NES player opinions from back in the day, he would be a much better character, having come from an action platformer to begin with, than a conversion from a game like Balloon Fighter or Mach Rider. I feel neither of those games should have playable representations in SSBB. But that's probably an opinion I hold all by my lonesome.)

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
First of all, this is not an excuse for a topic - that would be the 2 dozen or so [insert generic pokemon or Mario Bros./Kirby/LoZ/Metroid enemy type] that seem to keep popping up.

Also, I'm glad you agree with Mike J.'s inclusion TridenT, but I think it would be good that Balloon Fight (but with Alice, not the generic "Balloon Fighter") and Mach Rider get some representation. I've pesonally always seen Mach Rider in a similar respect to Star Fox, as it is a vehicle combat game. Also, I feel it's something Nintendo ought to pick up on again - since the original game's setting and premise could be further expanded upon with more of a Mad Max theme. Hell, Midway brought back Spy Hunter (with a movie in the works >.<), why can't Nintendo do the same for it's classic "Road Rage" game? A little of topic, but I hope you see my reasoning. As for Star Tropics, there's just no excuse for Nintendo leaving it in the closet - it's nearly as much a crime as neglecting Kid Icarus all these years (until now...) or going from "Revolution" to "Wii!!" (yes I've gotten over it - but it was still a HORRIBLE mistake...). Oh well, that's my two cents. [/rant]

Also, this is way off topic, but do they really call Chicago "Chi-Town"? St. Louis has much better nicknames, interestingly enough "River City" being one of them. Hope we don't get a ransom situation anytime soon... :laugh:

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Lord_Deathborne said:
First of all, this is not an excuse for a topic - that would be the 2 dozen or so [insert generic pokemon or Mario Bros./Kirby/LoZ/Metroid enemy type] that seem to keep popping up.

Also, I'm glad you agree with Mike J.'s inclusion TridenT, but I think it would be good that Balloon Fight (but with Alice, not the generic "Balloon Fighter") and Mach Rider get some representation. I've pesonally always seen Mach Rider in a similar respect to Star Fox, as it is a vehicle combat game. Also, I feel it's something Nintendo ought to pick up on again - since the original game's setting and premise could be further expanded upon with more of a Mad Max theme. Hell, Midway brought back Spy Hunter (with a movie in the works >.<), why can't Nintendo do the same for it's classic "Road Rage" game? A little of topic, but I hope you see my reasoning. As for Star Tropics, there's just no excuse for Nintendo leaving it in the closet - it's nearly as much a crime as neglecting Kid Icarus all these years (until now...) or going from "Revolution" to "Wii!!" (yes I've gotten over it - but it was still a HORRIBLE mistake...). Oh well, that's my two cents. [/rant]

Also, this is way off topic, but do they really call Chicago "Chi-Town"? St. Louis has much better nicknames, interestingly enough "River City" being one of them. Hope we don't get a ransom situation anytime soon... :laugh:
*shakes head* Greasy gamer humor :laugh:

King Ganondorf

Smash Apprentice
foxandfalco said:
lol, one of de worst rappers alive. only white ppl (very few of them btw) listen to his musik now

anyways, who is this other mike jones. can someone upload a pic?

OMFG!!! Iv been sayin that for years I live in houston and we've all disowned him from are city, who is mike jones? no one cares.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Lord_Deathborne said:
Good pooints, as usual FlipTroopa. But I think that most older gamers want Sonic in for nostalgic value rather than to resolve the epic rivalry of old. Just remebering the good ol' days of the 16-bit era console wars - of SEGA and Nintendo at each others thoats with no clear winner (in fact, it is still contested as to who won out OVERALL). To me, those were the days when the people who knew how to make games were running the show - before greedy ultra-corporations like $ony and Micro$oft bullied their way to the top with their infinite capital - throwing SEGA out of the picture and putting Ninty in a bad position for years to come. The way they run the show, the industry may be bound for another Crash - And to all you naysayers, noone saw the Great Crash coming before 1982 either. Sure the scenario is sinificantly different from then, but the similarities are quite frightening... Lucky for us the Wii is going a different route.

Whew... I got way off topic, didn't I? Well, this post doubles as a rant and a bump. Mike J. for SSBB!
I completely agree. Nobody will admit it, but just caring about graphics. The only place they can go now is photorealism. Nintendo is the only one who is preventing the crash of 2009.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
OMFG! This excuse for a topic has been resurrected yet again! [/sarcasm]
But even more worthless than the [insert generic character] topics I made mention of in post #112 are these horrid joke threads (I now regret I made one myself... but atleast it was game related...). They just add unnecessary clutter all over the boards - AND THEY'RE STILL OPEN! while my Jet Force Gemini thread got closed... Oh well...

EDIT: I got off topic, but Mike J. FTW!

Rash

Smash Ace
I love StarTropics. It's a very fun NES game. Sure, it borrows some gameplay features from Zelda, but in many ways its a unique gaming experience.

Mike Jones would be a great character for Brawl. He has plenty of available attacks and taunts. Not only that, but he represents Nintendo's retro community quite well (I consider both NES titles to be two of the system's "gems").

In regard to the issue of Japan: I don't think that it should be a problem. If there can be Japanese-only characters (Marth) in Smash Brothers, then there shouldn't be a reason why America can't get a few "America-only" characters like Mike.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Lord_Deathborne said:
I'm hoping he gets in before that... In fact, his chances may be even lower by the time SSB4 comes out as he would be only deeper in the abyss known as obscurity...
You never know, virtual console could boost his popularity quite a bit.

Top Bottom