• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Tropics' Mike J. for SSBB

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Lord_Deathborne said:
(considered the spiritual sibling to LoZ, as it includes many of the same features) .
For that reason I love this idea, LoZ was pure genious so I can only imagine this game and main protagnist was great too but Japan fans would be pissed.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Spiritually, it was like Zelda, but then again it wasn't. The sister game to Zelda was Nazo no Murasame. Star Tropics borrowed elements from Zelda, but moreso the overworld from the Dragon Warrior games and the stages from games like Snake Rattle 'N Roll (I couldn't think of a better example :laugh:). Yes, it has the feel of a modern-day Zelda set in the tropics. Yes, a lot of stuff in the game is like Zelda. If you like Zelda, you will likely love Star Tropics.

But it's not the "sister game," not by a longshot. (hoho, Zelda pun)

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
So I never posted my quick and dirty Mike moveset, huh? I'm bored, so here she is:

Firstly, all of Mike's A attacks utilize either his yo-yo, his fists, or one of the many items he's gathered. Usually it's the yo-yo, but for some of his aerials and for his forward smash, it changes. For example, his forward smash, much like Peach's, changes when he swings from a sword, to an axe, to a bat, to a torch, to a sling. And each has different knockback and effect.

As for his B attacks...

B: Super Psychic Shockwave -- Mike concentrates real hard and fires off a blast of psychic energy that follows just before him, roughly the distance of a PK Fire. It blasts opponents like Pikachu's Thunder, shocking them and sending them off in any direction. The catch is you have to charge it before you can fire it. In the air, the shockwave will be fired and explode in the air while he falls.

Forward B: Pitch -- Mike winds up and pitches a baseball (Wonder Horsehide, in the game) forwards, knocking back opponents like one of Falco's Blaster shots. If he changes the position of the C-stick while winding, he can actually change the velocity and angle of the pitch, effectively creating fades, knuckleballs, slowballs, and whatever else. Smashing, obviously, gives you a fastball.

Up B: Jump Anklet -- A band around one of Mike's ankles appears and glows quickly, as he gets a HUGE boost in the air. He doesn't actually deal damage, but he can't be touched, and it's one of the best third jumps in the game.

Down B: Mirror -- Mike hides behind a reflective mirror. It deflects all energy attacks, like Fox's Reflector, from the front, but also boosts his defense against physical blows. The catch is that he can only crawl very slowly with it out, can't jump, and is very vulnerable from behind (he can turn and switch sides, but the animation takes up precious seconds. faster to break out, quickly spin, and Down B again)

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I would say this takes me back, but I'd be overstating the fact as I was unable to enjoy most NES games until the advent of ROM gaming. It does take me back, but not that far... (like 5 years or so...) :(

Oh well, although I haven't been able to play Star Tropics as much as I would have liked (my computer sucks...), it still left quite an impression. I really would like for Mike Jones to make the cut for SSBB (even though his chances aren't the best). Mike J. FTW!

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Can we please stop the "no thx bye" posts? They're getting annoying...if you oppose a character's inclusion so greatly, it might be a good idea to, y'know, explain your reasoning. Since last time I checked this was a character discussion, and "no please just no" doesn't lend itself well to that kind of discourse.

And hemightbegiant (nice name, btw), try this: http://www.consoleclassix.com/gameinfo_startropicsII_nes.html

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I actually just assumed Mike would be wearing his Star Tropics II costume if he appeared :p It's not like they wouldn't improve his appearance ANYWAYS. In a fashion like Pit, he's not entirely "old-school" so much as "treasured hero who never got another **** game." And, like they did with Pit, Mike could get a makeover to catch him up with the times. Nothing drastic, but the blue shirt/black pants/denim jacket/black shirt thing isn't exactly really detailed.

And to be honest, I've never seen the FULL ending to the game. Just the very end, after he gets back to Coracola, so thanks parrothead! :)

EDIT: Which reminds me: MICA FOR BRAWL! :laugh: I always thought she'd make such a cool character addition too.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Can we please stop the "no thx bye" posts? They're getting annoying...if you oppose a character's inclusion so greatly, it might be a good idea to, y'know, explain your reasoning. Since last time I checked this was a character discussion, and "no please just no" doesn't lend itself well to that kind of discourse.

And hemightbegiant (nice name, btw), try this: http://www.consoleclassix.com/gameinfo_startropicsII_nes.html
You know They Might Be Giants, so + rep for you.

Thanks for the ROM by the way, I'll get to playing!

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I expect them to give him a major makeover anyway, a drastic on at that as they would want to make him to better fit the times - not unlike Pit. Mica would be very cool too, but I think Star Tropics would need to acheive a wider audience penetration before that happens (I'm not expecting to see Palutena of Kid Icarus this time around either...).

And a bit off topic, but everyone with good taste knows They Might Be Giants. I personally have fond memories of "Particle Man" and "Istanbul (Not Contantinolpe)" because of the Tiny Toons Adventures music videos of those two particle songs... Good times...

parrothead

Smash Lord
I actually just assumed Mike would be wearing his Star Tropics II costume if he appeared :p It's not like they wouldn't improve his appearance ANYWAYS. In a fashion like Pit, he's not entirely "old-school" so much as "treasured hero who never got another **** game." And, like they did with Pit, Mike could get a makeover to catch him up with the times. Nothing drastic, but the blue shirt/black pants/denim jacket/black shirt thing isn't exactly really detailed.

And to be honest, I've never seen the FULL ending to the game. Just the very end, after he gets back to Coracola, so thanks parrothead! :)

EDIT: Which reminds me: MICA FOR BRAWL! :laugh: I always thought she'd make such a cool character addition too.
You might be correct on Mike appearing in his StarTropics II costume, because Wario appears in his WarioWare/Made In Wario costume, Suitless Samus appears in her Zero Mission costume, and Pit appears in his Game Boy Kid Icarus costume. I'm not sure which Ray (Custom Robo franchise) would Nintendo choose, but perhaps they'll create a SSBB exclusive Ray. If Young Link returns, then I'm sure they'll change him from the N64 version into the cel-shaded version.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
It does seem to be the trend to base most characters off of their most recent appearence, even if it wasn't from the most memorable entry into their respective series - this was the case with Pit as pointed out before...

Roflmfo,Mike jones...his special would be to spit 300 bars.XD

But seriously...uugh,this guy?? No....he's a freckle faced,link reject with no taste in clothes.
And this game isn't even that reputable,i would pick Floating Kawashiima head over this guy.

crimsontide540

Banned via Administration
how bout mike jones from houston, he could kick some *** using his grill as a reflector

biotch!!!!

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Roflmfo,Mike jones...his special would be to spit 300 bars.XD

But seriously...uugh,this guy?? No....he's a freckle faced,link reject with no taste in clothes.
And this game isn't even that reputable,i would pick Floating Kawashiima head over this guy.

Coming from someone who wants wavedashing removed in Brawl.

"Link Reject"? no. "Homage to Zelda who's game was equally good"? Yes. We've already seen that looks don't matter in the SSB Universe. Look at Ness, a little kid with a huge head, is one of the best characters.

Also in Brawl, this:

Became this:

Mike will probably have an upgrade from his old NES look to a cooler look.

PS: Kawashima's head would make an awesome addition to Brawl. [/sarcasm]

parrothead

Smash Lord
Professor Kawashima would never enter. You might think that Dr. Wright = Will Wright, but that is incorrect. Will Wright knows more than Dr. Wright.

bbb

Smash Champion
Mike Jones wins, Yo-yo Pwnage time! Maybe throw in some of those torches/various other weapons.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Mike can't get TOO drastic an upgrade, though. Like, they could change his clothes, but I can't see much else. I can see them, though, letting him use Excalibur for most of his A attacks, and the yo-yo for other stuff. Or vice versa. Just to mature him a little, give him the more "serious" weapons and items. Rather than stuff like the snowman doll and mirror, right? :laugh:

EDIT: Front and to the right, we have Mike Jones: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/36788846/

I'm sure the artist doesn't mind me linking, but that, I think, would be a fine "upgrade." Just more flare to his outfit, with a bit more character to his actual hair and face, don't you say?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I was saying that just to make sure you don't say "Dr. Wright is based on a real person", while talking about Kawashima.
Actually, Kawashima's head was on the poll. :ohwell:
And Dr. Wright is only NAMED after Will Wright, not based after him as a real person.

@ FlipTroops: Mike looks kinda weird n that picture IMO

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord

You know.... All this time looking for fanart to redesign the poor guy for me, and I end up just doing it myself. How do you like it?

Coming from someone who wants wavedashing removed in Brawl.
Coming from some guy with less common sense than a rodent,and doesn't bother to fully read someones post.

I never said that i wanted WD removed from brawl,i was just stating hypatheticaly what would happen if it were to be removed from brawl,that there could possibly be new things to learn and not be upset about it and possibly move along.

Why the hell would i want wavedashing removed when it's a major part of my game?Next time,i suggest you try to understand someones statement before you try to requote it,other wise,you'll just make yourself look like an idiot as your doing now.

And in my opinion,no...i stil don't think this character should be in Brawl.No one remembers him that much,and the game really didn't appeal that much in Japan...so there.

And also hemightbegiant,you think i'm a fool?Your the same person who wanted Hamtaro in brawl.

And one more thing,Pit had popularity,and was in a good game,and was an original character,that's why he made it in brawl....this guy,not so sure.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Heh. Some movesets just aren't creative enough, I'll be honest. Not that it's any easier making up ****, because it's not. But it's also lazy if you just mimic somebody else's moves, you know?

Anyways, after that redesign, I've been thinking: Mike should use Excalibur for some of his A attacks. I know it's another swordfighter, and we don't want that crap all over again. BUT it would serve to keep him cooler and fresh this time around. He has a pretty lame design; so let's spice it up! Make him carry that huge sword on his back and start swinging it around; show the bolas hanging off of his belt loops; give his denim jacket lots of pockets and patches because chicks dig that stuff! Make him one badass American teen. The 80s are out, and so are simple graphics :laugh:

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
And in my opinion,no...i stil don't think this character should be in Brawl.No one remembers him that much,and the game really didn't appeal that much in Japan...so there.
Maybe that was due to the fact it wasn't EVEN released in Japan? Sure it was devevloped there, but it was intended for a Wesetern audience specifically. And just because a character isn't "remembered" means they should be in SSB? How does Pit, the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch figure into that logic?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
@ Eternal Pheonix Fire: Alright, I admit I misunderstood your comments about WD,

Hmmm......, when did I say I wanted Hamtaro in Brawl? Oh yeah, I remember, NEVER!, but you think I'm the fool? I suggest you reread the discussion that took place on the Medabots Thread....

No, but if any anime chaarcter should get in, Hamtaro has the highest chances

If any anime character can enter, then Suguru Kinniku (a.k.a. King Muscle) would enter before Hamtaro, Hello Kitty, and other Anime cuties.
Kinnikuman may be one of the best animes ever made, but if Nintendo would even consider putting animated characters in a SSB game, say SSB4, Popeye and Hamtaro actually have the highest chances. I put Hamtaro first because Popeye isn't really an anime, but you get it.
dead or not medabots have big guns that shoot the crap outta pokemon thus owning Them
I'll say it again, they would still have to follow the Nintendo rules, such as "Appeared on a Nintendo console", and I figured characters that games were MADE AND PRODUCED by Nintendo would have better chances that ones that just appear on all systems *coughNaruotwillneverbeincough*.

Therefore, I figure that the best three choices for animated characters are (in a future smash game):

1. Popeye (Popeye)
2. Hamtaro (Hamtaro)
3. Sena / Eyeshield 21 (Eyeshield 21)
I never said I wanted him in Brawl. I said that maybe in a FUTURE smash game, if Nintendo CONSIDERED putting in anime, Hamtaro would have higher chances.

Y'know, I suggest you try to understand someones statement before you try to requote it,other wise,you'll just make yourself look like an idiot as you just did now

Anyway, even though Kid Icarus was a great game, it never went as far as Nintendo wanted it too, since it only got a mediocre sequel on the GB.

Star Tropics on the other hand, was fairly popular, more so than Kid Icarus, enough to launch a console sequel.

BTW, Lord_Deathborne beat me too it, but I must say it never appealed in Japan, because it was NEVER RELEASED in Japan. Then again, Fire Emblem was never released in america when Melee came out, did that stop Marth. Roy's game was STILL IN DEVELOPMENT, and he came into Melee. If anything, the fact he was not released in Japan only INCREASES his chances to be in Brawl.

In short pheonix: http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=752202

Top Bottom