• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Fox Zero (developed by EAD themselves with Platinum Games!)

Quillion

Smash Hero
I sure am. The loaned-out Star Fox games ranged from bad (Adventures) to okay, I guess (Assault). But now that Shigeru Miyamoto has taken the effort to take back the series, that can only mean good news.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
As long as they make it a true follow up to Star Fox 64 then I'm all in! I want to see Arwings, Landmasters, submarines, and if ground combat has to be in they need to do a much better job. Maybe even implement some it Foxes Smash Bros. Abilities??

Quillion

Smash Hero
As long as they make it a true follow up to Star Fox 64 then I'm all in! I want to see Arwings, Landmasters, submarines, and if ground combat has to be in they need to do a much better job. Maybe even implement some it Foxes Smash Bros. Abilities??
Assault's foot controls were a good start. They just need to be heavily expanded and made less awkward (since it leads to struggling to hit non-grounded enemies while they simply blast you).

Chompjil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chompjil
3DS FC
0387-8858-0021
Reporting for a man who's hyped, hope it plays at least somewhat SF64, I fully trust Miyamoto to create another masterpiece such as that

Last edited:

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
Assault's foot controls were a good start. They just need to be heavily expanded and made less awkward (since it leads to struggling to hit non-grounded enemies while they simply blast you).
Yes. Assault's foot controls + :GCDpad: = awkward

Shog

Smash Ace
You know why am I such a huge Starfox Fan? I remember playing "Lylatwars"(called here in Europe the 64 variant) and I always loved to random barrel rolls and turning around the screen like a dip****. If they make a new one, hopefully the flying will be as fun (or even better!) than in N64. I don't care about the story, landmaster or submarine. Just give me a fun arwing to fly :4fox:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Maybe even implement some it Foxes Smash Bros. Abilities??
I would be the happiest guy ever to see this. In 64, none of his specials were actual things. The blaster made sense, but he never actually had a blaster until the GCN. All of them would be dope. I'd even love to see Falco's sheild move forward instead of stationary like Fox's.

Ohh you got me excited.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I would be the happiest guy ever to see this. In 64, none of his specials were actual things. The blaster made sense, but he never actually had a blaster until the GCN. All of them would be dope. I'd even love to see Falco's sheild move forward instead of stationary like Fox's.

Ohh you got me excited.
Don't know how any of those stuff would fit into a TPS except for maybe Fire Fox, which is just him using Jet Boots.

kyokencl

Smash Rookie
NNID
kyokencl
3DS FC
3969-3699-8305
im in with the hype too

the only thing right now i want to know is which timeline Miyamoto-San will choose to this game

a true sucesor of StarFox 64 or one of the ending timeline of StarFox Command

i only say about the story

because the gameplay i know will be a great one........................................i understand that Miyamoto-san is in charge of this

thats all

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Don't know how any of those stuff would fit into a TPS except for maybe Fire Fox, which is just him using Jet Boots.
Really? Not even the reflector? It doesnt take THAT much creativity. The reflector and blaster is a given. Illusion Fox (or whatever its really called) could be some sort of melee attack and fire fox could just be for movement.

This would obviously be for ground missions.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Really? Not even the reflector? It doesnt take THAT much creativity. The reflector and blaster is a given. Illusion Fox (or whatever its really called) could be some sort of melee attack and fire fox could just be for movement.

This would obviously be for ground missions.
I know the Blaster was already in Assault (thought it was obvious enough not to mention), but a Reflector would be pretty broken. Also, we already had jet packs in Assault, but they were multiplayer only.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Wrong button again... (when am I going to learn)

Last edited:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
I know the Blaster was already in Assault (thought it was obvious enough not to mention), but a Reflector would be pretty broken. Also, we already had jet packs in Assault, but they were multiplayer only.
The reflector wouldn't have to be exactly like it is in Smash. It could be tweaked in any way to make it work. If it's in there, I'm happy.

Fire Fox could replace the jetpacks.

Quillion

Smash Hero
The reflector wouldn't have to be exactly like it is in Smash. It could be tweaked in any way to make it work. If it's in there, I'm happy.

Fire Fox could replace the jetpacks.
Another thing, Star Fox: Assault also had a barrier as an item. Assault already went a long way towards incorporating Fox's SSB tools as usable in his home series.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Another thing, Star Fox: Assault also had a barrier as an item. Assault already went a long way towards incorporating Fox's SSB tools as usable in his home series.
I was actually going to bring that up. Assault was the only Star Fox game that Ive played (yes, i am going to play 64).

its just not the same thing tho. I want to see smash bros stuff get something in their chars games. The barrier is used differently, does different things and looks different. Just adding in the smash sheild eould be a nice touch.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Reporting for a man who's hyped, hope it plays at least somewhat SF64, I fully trust Miyamoto to create another masterpiece such as that
And looks as beautiful as Assault (in terms of art style; of course itll look even more beautoful in HD).. My goodness that game is great.

DokemonStudios

Smash Rookie
I just hope Star Fox Command is retconned out of existence and the next one takes place after Assault. I hated Command. Or at least I hate it's fanfiction-y stupid story.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I was actually going to bring that up. Assault was the only Star Fox game that Ive played (yes, i am going to play 64).

its just not the same thing tho. I want to see smash bros stuff get something in their chars games. The barrier is used differently, does different things and looks different. Just adding in the smash sheild eould be a nice touch.
It could be the on-foot version of the barrel roll, putting up a temporary shield to deflect projectiles.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
As long as it doesnt have Sm4sh's Fox/Falco voices, I'll be content.

Seriously do hope it has multiple routes like 64 did.

the8thark

Smash Lord
The game should look like Starfox64 but sound like (music included) Star Fox SNES.
The 64 game was amazing except for the music, that was a massive let down, just so bad. The SNES music was so so much better.

And what I want is an option to play every stage in the game in one go. Can't do that on the SNES or 64. And also be able to play any stage without having to do all the rest before it always for easy access to medal attempts.

Quillion

Smash Hero
The game should look like Starfox64 but sound like (music included) Star Fox SNES.
The 64 game was amazing except for the music, that was a massive let down, just so bad. The SNES music was so so much better.

And what I want is an option to play every stage in the game in one go. Can't do that on the SNES or 64. And also be able to play any stage without having to do all the rest before it always for easy access to medal attempts.
It should be like in Sonic Adventure 2 where after you complete any stage in either of the stories, you get to select it anytime in a separate menu.

Krackshot Kroc

Smash Ace
I'm a big Star Fox fan so naturally I'm hyped for it but tbh I'm not looking too forward to the motion-controls; if they do choose to take that route I hope they have an option where you can just play normally. Another thing I'm not looking forward to is the fact that Miyamoto wants to make this game where it is released in an "episodic" format (like Telltale's Walking Dead and Final Fantasy IV: The After Years) rather than a full game. In the end though Miyamoto and his EAD team are very good at what they do so I believe.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm a big Star Fox fan so naturally I'm hyped for it but tbh I'm not looking too forward to the motion-controls; if they do choose to take that route I hope they have an option where you can just play normally. Another thing I'm not looking forward to is the fact that Miyamoto wants to make this game where it is released in an "episodic" format (like Telltale's Walking Dead and Final Fantasy IV: The After Years) rather than a full game. In the end though Miyamoto and his EAD team are very good at what they do so I believe.
Splatoon is going to give you the option to turn off gyro controls. If this is any indication, Star Fox U might too.

the8thark

Smash Lord
How do you release it on disc via an episodic format?
You can have one disc for each episode, or have all the episodes released on one disc at the end. Nice options, but if it's only available online per episode once they are released I will not be happy. Nintendo has no iCloud like system to store your purchase information so if you WiiU dies all your digital purchases are gone as well. A few VC games and NES Remix 1/2 I'm not so worried about loosing. But loosing a full priced game ($60-$80 in Australia) is something I'm not willing to risk.

AIM0001

Smash Lord

Ohh you got me excited.

The idea practically sells itself! It must be done! His Smash abilities are awesome and would suit a Star Fox game nicely.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Lookit this:

Krystal isn't there at all. Seems ominous... inb4 Krystal war

the8thark

Smash Lord

Ohh you got me excited.
Actually the blaster was first seen in Starfox 64.

Get the gold medals from every planet to earn the Landmaster in multiplayer mode and unlock expert mode.
Get the gold medals from every planet in expert mode to unlock pilot mode in multiplayer.
Pilot mode in multiplayer is where you play as the characters walking on the ground and using their hand held blaster to shoot the other players.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Actually the blaster was first seen in Starfox 64.

Get the gold medals from every planet to earn the Landmaster in multiplayer mode and unlock expert mode.
Get the gold medals from every planet in expert mode to unlock pilot mode in multiplayer.
Pilot mode in multiplayer is where you play as the characters walking on the ground and using their hand held blaster to shoot the other players.
Seriously? Wow. I've never heard of that. I must not have played enough.

Still cool. Would be interesting to see the Smash differences between Fox's and Falco's blaster in a Star Fox game.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Seriously? Wow. I've never heard of that. I must not have played enough.

Still cool. Would be interesting to see the Smash differences between Fox's and Falco's blaster in a Star Fox game.

Yep, it exists.

The reason we see barely any footage of it is because it is HELL to unlock.

the8thark

Smash Lord

Yep, it exists.

The reason we see barely any footage of it is because it is HELL to unlock.
Actually on the 64 back in the day it was not too hard to unlock. Actually getting all the gold medals 1st time round was harder than expert mode because expert mode has more enemies in it. I will say it certainly took a lot of practice to do. And some stages you had to basic do a whole run just to try to medal one stage. (Ie shooting all your buddies down yourself at the end of the stage, 2 before solar so they are all alive with full health at the start of solar is one example). I'm not sure how many people actially achieved this though.

Still thanks for the video share.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Should've posted this earlier, but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea:

Here's the meager amount of footage we have of the new Star Fox, though the screen is blurred out.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Actually on the 64 back in the day it was not too hard to unlock. Actually getting all the gold medals 1st time round was harder than expert mode because expert mode has more enemies in it. I will say it certainly took a lot of practice to do.
When you're constantly losing your wings and laser upgrades from bumping into stuff, yeah, it's going to take tons of practice.

the8thark

Smash Lord
When you're constantly losing your wings and laser upgrades from bumping into stuff, yeah, it's going to take tons of practice.
Actually you're right. I had lots of practice on this type of game from Star Fox SNES. But I will say even for me some of the stages took a while to medal, they were not easy. Expert had more enemies, so easier to get the number required. But you took more damage so that's the trade off.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Actually you're right. I had lots of practice on this type of game from Star Fox SNES. But I will say even for me some of the stages took a while to medal, they were not easy. Expert had more enemies, so easier to get the number required. But you took more damage so that's the trade off.
Gotta learn to use the barrel roll.

Quillion

Smash Hero
So... in case you haven't been paying attention, Miyamoto appeared in a video with the Smosh crew.

In said video, he confirmed that we'll be seeing more of Star Fox at E3 this year. And keep in mind that in that Game Awards Zelda video, he said that Star Fox will precede the release of Zelda.

Meanwhile, he says that he doesn't want to continue F-Zero because he still has no "interesting" ideas and that it needs a new controller interface. *Sigh...*

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Beyond hyped! Big fan of the Starfox series since I got the original on SNES as a kid. Can't wait to see this game in action!

Top Bottom