• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Fox Zero (developed by EAD themselves with Platinum Games!)

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm really hoping for something like an evolution of Star Fox Assault, but chances are we'll just get a glorified Star Fox 64 remake. I know it won't be what I want, but I'm still cautiously optimistic.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I am!!! Even if I just played Star Fox 64 3D (Planning to buy other games on the franchise), I know the dark age that the franchise has passed from 2002 to 2006, and I'm happy that Miyamoto has finally arrived again. I am just afraid of the Episodes stuff.

finalark

SNORLAX
The fact that they used Star Fox 64 characters as Easter eggs on the Star Fox Assault stage makes me feel like Nintendo is trying to sweep Assault under the rug, or at least shrug off it's existence to focus on 64.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
I just wish they had handled everything after 64 more delicately. I enjoyed Adventures as an adventure/spinoff whatever you wanna call it game. Problem was that it wasn't Starfox. Assault kinda made things bad as far as the canon storyline, gameplay was pretty good, just way too short and controls could've used some work. Command just made everything super out of whack with the way it picked up and the multiple ending things. I think some of the storylines were alright, gameplay was fun, but it just uber messed things up for the canon. I'm kinda scared of a reboot because I've gotten attached to the post 64 stuff, Nintendo's not usually one to reboot, if I have my info straight, so they may not. But it'd make the most sense, but they don't always make sense. Guess we'll just have to wait for next week to find out.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I just wish they had handled everything after 64 more delicately. I enjoyed Adventures as an adventure/spinoff whatever you wanna call it game. Problem was that it wasn't Starfox. Assault kinda made things bad as far as the canon storyline, gameplay was pretty good, just way too short and controls could've used some work. Command just made everything super out of whack with the way it picked up and the multiple ending things. I think some of the storylines were alright, gameplay was fun, but it just uber messed things up for the canon. I'm kinda scared of a reboot because I've gotten attached to the post 64 stuff, Nintendo's not usually one to reboot, if I have my info straight, so they may not. But it'd make the most sense, but they don't always make sense. Guess we'll just have to wait for next week to find out.
Don't worry, dude. I don't think they will really "reboot", but I think it's within possibility that they'll act like the third-party Star Fox games never happened.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
Someone made a suggestion that they could keep the characters, but rewrite their backgrounds. Like have Krystal be more of a normal person, or not wipe Pigma or Oikonny off StarWolf. I think that'd be a good thing to do. After all if I have my history right, I'm fairly certain that they're not ones to reboot franchises

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Someone made a suggestion that they could keep the characters, but rewrite their backgrounds. Like have Krystal be more of a normal person, or not wipe Pigma or Oikonny off StarWolf. I think that'd be a good thing to do. After all if I have my history right, I'm fairly certain that they're not ones to reboot franchises
They will keep Krystal's telepathy and her possible regal background

Quillion

Smash Hero
So if I'm correct, it looks like they really are going to forget the third-party Star Fox games never existed and they're just going to go with directly following up with 64.

finalark

SNORLAX
So if I'm correct, it looks like they really are going to forget the third-party Star Fox games never existed and they're just going to go with directly following up with 64.
From what I heard, this is another "re-imagining" AKA reboot.

So yeah, get ready to fight Andross again and lose all of the interesting stuff from the GCN era continuity.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
I feel that they had some potential with the GCN era characters, some of them at least, but I trust them. This is definitely a reboot but it sounds like they don't wanna say that. That said, everything past 64 is likely not gonna happen in some fashion, Wolf being an Anti-Hero sort of character, Panther existing, Pigma/Andrew getting kicked off StarWolf, and of course Krystal. If they have a love interest, probably a big if, they'll probably resurrect Fara. Maybe maybe not, I feel like if they remade Krystal that I'd be okay with it because I was attached to her when I started playing the games, but the general reaction is a coin toss. Maybe if they presented her in a more decent standard that she'd at least be less hated. Opinions on my book I wrote here?

finalark

SNORLAX
I suppose the reason why I'm pretty disappointed is because I liked the direction the series moved in. I like Panther, the idea of Wolf being an anti-hero is cool to me, I didn't mind Krystal. I also liked how the GCN era games actually tried to move the narrative forward instead of keeping Fox and friends in an eternal battle with Andross. I would like to see new Star Fox games explore new enemies and worlds, not continuously rehash Star Fox 64 for eternity.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
I enjoy a constant conquest against Andross, because he'd be a household name like Bowser or Ganondorf. They really did try to expand it a little bit rather than go to corneria, then planet B, then planet C, then Venom, then GG's. I'm fine with them keeping Andross so long as it isn't the exact same thing every time. Wolf being an Anti Hero makes him one of the most unique Nintendo characters because he'd be one of the few or only anti heroes in the staple of series'. My thing with Krystal is, God made two genders for a reason, and it's not to segregate them. Put girls in the dang series, Krystal, Fara, Miyu, Fay, or all of the above, I mean come on every other series has girls in it in some fashion. I just think they need to expand more carefully than they did in the GCN era, or transform as Reggie liked to say.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Game looked amazing! I watched all of the Treehouse stuff on it yesterday. Can't wait until it comes out and the fact that Platinum has their hand involved makes it all the better.

Shog

Smash Ace
I never played the Starfox Gamecube Era games
I couldn't care less for Krystal or Panther

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I hope I'm not the only one who wants Miyu and Fay to return as Star Fox pilots.

Since the game is already taking elements from the cancelled game, they might as well take the characters too. At least it allows for the two to have some development this time around.

Shog

Smash Ace
Oh wow that is a great Idea Space Stranger
They also seem to be female right? I never saw a female in Starfox before

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Besides the obvious Krystal, Kat, and Slippy's fiance that all came after 64, these were going to be the two original female members of the Star Fox crew. Too bad they weren't brought back in 64 like Star Wolf.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I'm more worried about the game being another retelling of the original Star Fox story like 64. It should at least take place in between 64 and Adventures to show :4falco:'s short departure from the team. This allows for a fluid introduction for Miyu and Fay.

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
I'm more worried about the game being another retelling of the original Star Fox story like 64. It should at least take place in between 64 and Adventures to show :4falco:'s short departure from the team. This allows for a fluid introduction for Miyu and Fay.
Oh
So No Krystal Nor Panther.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Oh
So No Krystal Nor Panther.
If they went with my route then without a doubt.

A mode where you can play on foot, similar to Assault, would be cool too. I doubt it will happen i single player though.

Edit: It's confirmed to be a re-imagining. I'll write a detailed analysis later with some confirmed elements that link back to the older games.

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Assault was the only Star Fox game that Ive played (yes, i am going to play 64).
Do yourself a favor and buy Star Fox 64 3D.

I love the N64 one dearly, but this is the exact same game with better graphics.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I just dug up an old interview that EW had with Miyamoto, and yes, he does dislike everything that has happened with Star Fox (and F-Zero) since it started getting loaned out.

You’ve had great success in your ability to predict what players will find fun to play. Have there been games that you thought would be fun but didn’t turn out that way?
Yes, that has definitely happened. In the past we’ve worked with some outside development houses on titles like F-Zero and Starfox — and let me just say that we were disappointed with the results. Consumers got very excited about the idea of those games, but the games themselves did not deliver. And, well, to be honest with you,Zelda: Twilight Princess is not doing very well at all in Japan. It is very disappointing. But it is doing okay here in America.
DAMN IT, Miyamoto. Why aren't you disappointed with NSMB when you are with F-Zero?

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
A few images around the web.

Arwing to "Bird Walker" transformation:

And a promotional image of the Star Fox crew with Fox's Arwing:

finalark

SNORLAX
I am so glad we're getting some form of ground combat in this game. I was so afraid that would abandon it since it wasn't a big part of 64.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
I was alright with the on foot missions, they just needed some more delicate work to them. It'd be cool in the game but from what I've seen thus far from the trailer it wouldn't really fit in, what with all the danger already going on it wouldn't really make sense to make yourself even more vulnerable and hop out of the Arwing. Also Miyamoto's wording makes me think he didn't like how they sold, not specifically the games themselves, but that's just my spin on it. I don't think that Krystal or Panther will be in the game just because it's the beginning, if they're in the new series (Pretty much that's what it is if re imagining translates to re boot) then they'll be in the next one or the one after. I hope Krystal's in it, Panther I don't have a problem with but there'd have to be some veeeeerry delicate handling on StarWolf. What with SF outnumbering SW in Assault and after, so either keep all of them and forget Panther, or something happens to one of them and Panther replaces the one that's missing. Opinions once again on my novel right here?

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I rewatched the Treehouse event for Star Fox Zero and I think Bill was (possibly) confirmed/hinted to make an appearance.
BillStarFoxZero.png

For those of you who don't know, Bill was another secondary character that appeared on the harder missions of 64 and, if I recall correctly, appears in Command. This image also confirms that Zero will also include alternate paths that lead to different ways of getting to Venom.

Even if the dog in the image is not Bill, it still hints that the secondary characters from 64 will return at some point.

Shog

Smash Ace
Oh yeah Bill, AWESOME
I said it once: If Flying feels amazing, Instabuy and I don't care for the rest.
Also I forgot about Kat, true(Zoness best OST from 64 lel)

Special Note: Searching for Krystal online = :201w::201u::201t::201f::201a::201c::201e:

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I rewatched the Treehouse event for Star Fox Zero and I think Bill was (possibly) confirmed/hinted to make an appearance.
View attachment 57218
For those of you who don't know, Bill was another secondary character that appeared on the harder missions of 64 and, if I recall correctly, appears in Command. This image also confirms that Zero will also include alternate paths that lead to different ways of getting to Venom.

Even if the dog in the image is not Bill, it still hints that the secondary characters from 64 will return at some point.
I looked at that screenshot and instantly thought "BILL!" so it definitely looks like him at first glance.

Quillion

Smash Hero
And now GCN Star Fox fans are coming out of the woodwork saying how much they love the loaned-out games and want them to be continued.

Thing is, is there ANY way to advance the franchise beyond Command?

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm a GCN Star Fox fan who wants to see the series continue.

Although I never played the single player in Command, so IDK why people hate it so much. The multiplayer was pretty awesome IMO.

Shog

Smash Ace
And now GCN Star Fox fans are coming out of the woodwork saying how much they love the loaned-out games and want them to be continued.

Thing is, is there ANY way to advance the franchise beyond Command?
GCN fans can complain, but if they complain about the gameplay if its superb, I can't take their opinion serious at all. For me the fun of these games is definitely the mechanics of flying around in a badass Arwing (and now in a badass chicken walker, too!)

Top Bottom