• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Standard for Balance in Custom Characters

Deagans

Smash Rookie
Hey there Brawl Modders, I have a question. When designing a customized moveset are new characters (e.g. Lloyd, Waluigi, Thor, etc.) balanced around standard no mods Brawl? I'd like to start taking advantage of all the hard (and amazing) work you guys have done over the years (I've lurked on and off since Wisp was revealed). But I'm worried if I start grabbing up all these files that they'll all adhere to a different stand of balance.

For instance, I'm a good Ganondorf player. I recognize he's slow and almost helpless against projectiles, but to me the difference between Ganondorf and a top tier doesn't seem that large (certainly not when compared to Mewtwo and Marth of melee). I've heard first hand reviews of Brawl+ and oddly enough the only thing that bugs me is the speed increase (I love the idea of never tripping again). That said, it'd be more than a little saddening to put some of these characters in game only to find that they're unstoppable.

Rock on Smashboarders. Let's hope that Wii U Smash leaves another great unfixable back door like like Brawl has!

Get A Load of This!

Smash Journeyman
Considering how unbalanced the vanilla Brawl cast is already, and how they'll never make it to tournament play anyway, there's no real 'standard' for how fair a hack is. As long as they're beatable and don't have any glaring flaws like item spawning or infinite recoveries, you probably shouldn't have any complaints about balance in your PSAs.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
If there were a panel of judges that would be interested, (like those in charge of MYM) there could be some kind of 'seal of approval' for character hacks. Yes, it's not like these are going to be totally conforming, but it would be a great step forward as a community.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I doubt there would be any.

Just make the modded characters inferior to Meta Knight and problem solved.

Just make them more in line with the cast than Meta Knight and you should have no worries.

Yes MK is that much better than A tier.

Get A Load of This!

Smash Journeyman
If there were a panel of judges that would be interested, (like those in charge of MYM) there could be some kind of 'seal of approval' for character hacks.
That actually sounds like it could be an interesting idea for a competition, not gonna lie. If there were more quality PSA creators, I don't see why MYM couldn't be bumped up to include actual hacks.

Deagans

Smash Rookie
I've only ever fought one guy who was actually dangerous as MK. Thankfully he wasn't used to how laggy online can be. Its funny that MK is essentially a Melee character, while Mewtwo was practically a Brawl character.

Probably not the right forum, but is there a mod that doesn't really change the physics but allows modded content/turns off tripping? I'm practically technologically impared duck.

Top Bottom