• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Is that not accomplished by the alpha forms?
In the same way Omega forms don't provide better game balance because they promote the inclusion of more ridiculously broken casual stage gimmicks and create a horrible divide in which neither side is optimal, "Alpha" forms would further reduce the intelligence of the game's design by creating a quick "hazard switch" fix.

If you could just turn off hazards, would interesting stages like Dreamland 64, Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Story Melee or Mute City ever have existed? And what if we wanted to play less serious games with walkoff edges or walls or scrolling? Would that be possible or would we just be stuck fighting giant fish, random background sparkles and Yellow Devil ripoffs?
Omega mode is not good for the game and more variations on it is not the answer.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
In the same way Omega forms don't provide better game balance because they promote the inclusion of more ridiculously broken casual stage gimmicks and create a horrible divide in which neither side is optimal, "Alpha" forms would further reduce the intelligence of the game's design by creating a quick "hazard switch" fix.

If you could just turn off hazards, would interesting stages like Dreamland 64, Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Story Melee or Mute City ever have existed? And what if we wanted to play less serious games with walkoff edges or walls or scrolling? Would that be possible or would we just be stuck fighting giant fish, random background sparkles and Yellow Devil ripoffs?
Omega mode is not good for the game and more variations on it is not the answer.
As I said in another thread, the scenario that you describe is not a problem with the omega / alpha forms themselves – it is simply a poor way of handling them. If handled well, these forms can be quite beneficial to the game.

Also... Alpha forms are not a simple "hazard switch." They also change the stage layouts to be better for competitive play.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am hoping for each stage to get an "alpha" form. This would provide a large variety of anodyne stages, instead of just the Omega stage layout.
I recently posted a description and image of the alpha form of each stage, which can be seen here.
I like these ideas. Don't know if the Smash team would actually do this... but at the very least, I'd like them to make Battlefield and Big Battlefield versions of all stages along with Final Destination versions.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
This is the only thread I can find to discuss stages without having to create a new thread for it to only be locked or moved. I would like to discuss the criteria for what makes a stage illegal. I understand this may have already been discussed extensively, but I would like to see what can come from this. I would imagine that the criteria for banning certain stages would be based on:

• Hazards: Any external influence that can alter one's favor.
  • Low ceilings: Lighter characters have a disadvantage.
  • Size: Timing out is possible. It's also possible to survive longer.
  • Stalling: The same can be said as it is of size.
  • Unfairness: Some characters have a disadvantage, whereas others have an advantage.

Those are the only five things I can think of. I would like to go through each stage and consider the criteria I listed here and if it's really an issue. I'm running short on time, however, so I cannot do so right now. I might come back to this later today or tomorrow.

brostulip

Smash Rookie
Good criteria, why not add blastzones to the mix? Walk-offs, smaller stages, and low ceilings.

TM Kind

Smash Rookie
Is there a consensus on what omega stages are preferred or are they all considered fair?

I am referring to the ledge and walls underneath the stages.

obeymalleo

Smash Ace
NNID
obeymalleo
3DS FC
2595-2443-7489
man i thoh dah fd and bf waz gon be lit
maannn i though smah foe waz finna be da game of da century
maannn u da wah all dem vidz and specs u dig
man ih was coo foe a bih buh lih now ih so dam repetih u dig

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
On Umbra, Jigglypuff can purposefully break her shield underneath the big solid rock that flies across, and with perfect timing, she will slam into the ceiling of it, hold there for half a second, then fly into the aether Without dying.

Could be used as timeout strats

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
Out of all the stages that should return imo, I love to see Corneria from Melee and Delfino Plaza from Brawl. Though it really depends. I'll always love that Corneria stage for years to come.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I only ask for 3 new stages to be added in Super Smash Bros.

1. Gangplank Galleon (the soundtrack selection is endless for it and has potential for some fun stage hazards)

2. Bowser's Castle (not the one in the Paper Mario moving stage but an actual still one with a great selection of Bowser music to choose from)

3. Ganon's Fortress (because why not?)

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Now that the Miiverse is discontinued, and since the Miiverse stage won't have any distracting or inappropriate content in the background, will Miiverse become a legal stage? Another tri-platform stage could be nice.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I think they'll add pokefloats with a DLC who knows.
I don't think they'll add any more DLC to SMASH 4 ROFL
You're probably looking for the Ultimate subforum.

Top Bottom