• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Stage Discussion ~

Blad01

Smash Lord
Hello all ! :)

Here is the Stage DIscussion Thread.

Well, it's simple : What stages are, accroding to you, the best stages for Ganondorf, and what are the worst ? Which one would you pick as a counterpick ?

I begin :

> In the Neutral List, i think that the best stages for Ganondorf are Battlefield and Yoshi's Island.
Final Destination = Sure death against campers;
Animal Crossing = The platform can ruin your edgeguard.

> In the counterpick list, i would say : Norfair (Lava Murder Slam %)), Luigi's Mansion. Maybe Mario Kart too.

Sliq

Smash Master
I dislike Yoshi's Island because the stage tilting ****s up auto cancels.

I usually counterpick Battlefield or Smashville, since Ganon needs to be able to auto cancel to compete.

dlen06

Smash Apprentice
Battlefield is great because when enemies are on platforms they can still be hit by the auto-cancelled dair.

How do other ganon players feel about the walk-off stages like mario-kart, eldin, and onett?
I'm less comfortable on these stages because i'm very comfortable off the edge and love to mindgame people into following me off the edge and fighting off of the stage.

Does anyone think he's at an advantage or disadvantage on the walk-off stages?

:034:

Smash Hero
^ Ganondorf isn't so good at walk-off stages since his edgeguarding options disappear. No reverse uair, no fair off the platform, no bair, no lucky edgehog.. On walk-off stages, he'll get obliterated by guys with good throws and/or chaingrabs (DDD, Falco, Pikachu, Lucario etc).

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
^True but he also gets Gerudo>jab>death. But I'd still have to agree that they aren't the best.

If its Ness, Lucas, or ROB I'm immediately taking them to battlefield. For everyone except D3, DK, and Fox I'm messing around with Green Greens. Close sides for easy kills, low platforms in the middle for stomping, a small stage that Ganon seems to control well, moar Gerudo and stomp spikez between main platforms, and volcano kick becomes useful because you can make the huge exploshuns.

:034:

Smash Hero
^ It's more likely somebody will counterpick a walk-off stage against you rather than the other way around.

More bad stages:
- Delfino Plaza: Autocancelling doesn't always work, a walk-off, platforms aren't close enough to the main platform to give a good approach option.
- Lylat Cruise: Gimp-edges (more so than FD, guh), and ruins autocancels.

Good stages:
Battlefield, Smashville.

I'm trying to see if Yoshi's Island (Melee) works. I'm not sure if the slope works against chaingrabbing, if so, cool. You can hit anybody with anything after a Murder Choke on the slopes, and the KO boundaries are small, which is perfect for Ganondorf.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Like you said, if someone counters a walk-off they're most likely going to be using a chain grab character. But even without his edgeguarding options, Ganon does phenomenally well when he can pressure someone towards a side. If he lands a gerudo on someone while he's facing the edge, he can get a KO with jab at pretty low percents. Plus, when opponents have their back to the side they can get nervous, and Ganon can be a good brick wall. I'm definitely not saying they're his best stages, but he has options.

Obviously I agree with Lylat, it's the one I will always ban. But you can use tilting sides to your advantage sometimes. If you land a gerudo and the opponent knows Ganon at least a little bit, a lot of the time they will roll uphill so they can punish you if you try to pursue them with stomp. So you can anticipate this and follow up with moar gerdudo, DA, or wiz foot.

I have no problem with Delfino. In fact at the tournament I most recently went to everybody would ban Delfino when they found out I was playing Ganon. The uneven edges are pretty easy to deal with, and most of the time the stage is a relatively flat surface. Just make sure you're only auto canceling when you're going downhill. The big advantage you have at Delfino is the water. Granted everyone has this advantge but you have stomp and wizard's foot. Wizards Foot immediately cancels out as soon as it hits the water, plus it's a powerful spike. You can set up for the spikes well if you get them in the water with you with Gerudo. Also, something I've been working on, is if you land a gerudo next to the edge of the island part, they will slide down into the water giving you a free stomp or wiz kick. I think Delfino is alright for Ganon overall.

No...lol never Yoshi's Island, stray away :p. This
Plus it's probably banned at most tournies.

xenero

Smash Apprentice
Final Destination is harder to play on than Battlefield because in straight-up matches (literally) against most characters gives you a disadvantage. Ganondorf can really punish with his aerials and ground moves on terraced terrain. It also helps him avoid projectile-campers.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I like Battlefield because with some larger characters, if you do a murder choke, they will land on the platform above you, setting them up for an upsmash.

My two most favorite stages for GDorf though are Jungle Japes and Norfair. Each of them is relatively flat, but also offers protections from furry space animal lasers due to the unevenness. All his usual tricks work, and on Norfair, since often you opponent will be trying to avoid various environmental hazards, you can focus on them. Also, if you try to Ganoncide when the lava is rising, it will often be the same as if you did it into water (though you take damage). You can even land upsmashes on these levels pretty often.

Those are my 2 cents, and I honestly have no idea if they are banned or not, so if they are, Im sorry. -.-

Final Destination. That way Ganondorf doesn't have to huff and puff running his way through all the other level's obstacles.
Play a good R.O.B. and come back and try to say that to us again :p

Top Bottom