• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Stage Discussion (session 7): Battleship Halberd ~

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
~ Battleship Halberd ~​

---​

Properties:

This stage can be divided in two parts: a "floating" phase and the ship itself. Both have similar properties

- low ceiling
- mid-low platform
- float stage has "transparent" ground, means you can recover from below the stage
- float stage has uneven ground as opposed to the "Ship" part
- ship stage has several hasards: the laser, the canonball and the claw....all three of them are avoidable but they hurt you if you don't watch out! All 3 deal high damage and have strong knockback.

---​

Tactics:

- The low ceiling and the fact that Wolf is hard to KO from above makes this a decent counterpick for leightweight characters
- The platform is set up perfectly: You can camp below it and juggle the opponent above it
- The float part has many recovery options: You can recover from below the stage, either with upB or SideB depending on your position, you can recover at the ledges or you can even try to reach the center platform
- The float part has uneven ground - watch out for your timing for the AC fair!

---​

Synopsis:

coming soon!

---​

Discuss!

Nerok

Smash Rookie
One of my favorite stages with Wolf for sure. And like you stated towards the conclusion. Not very fit for playing a good Diddy on. Banana locking is always no fun. Well for us anyway.

I 95% of the time on battlefield make usage of my blaster to start off with, leading to a grab, (x2) if it catches my opponent offgaurd. First being a Fthrow. Second being a Dthrow. Then more blaster, DC-Usmash, and bajillion Bair Barrage.

I make use of my Wolf-Fang Fist here as well (AAA) just what I call it. ;]

I juggle alot here too, which like you stated; is pretty much key to success. The properties of distance plays a big roll, but depending on the characters aerial support they half the time cant focus on offensive countering. Planning comes first in every situation here anyway.

The platforms can be used for dropping straight into Bairs. And always...BLASTING.

my opinion really, (seeing as its one of my favorite stages) there is a 80% chance of a decent Wolf mainer winning here. Depending on the other players character choice.

all in all, agreed on everything for the most part.

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
With the boost smash you can hit opponents who are on the platforms from a good distance
I'm a nitpicker since I'm a creative writing major but you missed a word in the sentence. Just to let you know. :)

How effective is using the utilt on battlefield by the way? Is it too small of a hitbox to really make a difference?

Nerok

Smash Rookie
I'm a nitpicker since I'm a creative writing major but you missed a word in the sentence. Just to let you know. :)

How effective is using the utilt on battlefield by the way? Is it too small of a hitbox to really make a difference?
The Utilt's hitbox lands just above the tiny platforms making it possible to hitsome if they are standing on them. It also has length

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
So does that mean it's a viable option as opposed to up smash?

Blazer

Smash Ace
Its an alright stage, but with every character being good on it its more just a starter than anything, and I feel like Smashville is a better starter for Wolf.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
Battlefield is like one of my favorite stages. I usually pick this against people like rob who can outcamp me but have trouble with juggling and stuff. Dont pick it against characters like game and watch and metaknight as they can make use of this neutral better than you. Pretty much pick it if you think this stage would benefit you more than your opponent.

Nerok

Smash Rookie
Metaknights are obviously alot better with platforms because of the lowering, fast swings of the Dair. PLUS it has such remarkable range that its hella ridiculous. That and the fact that the whorenado can whip you around like its nothing.

All these advantages just put Wolf out of a high limb.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Battlefield is Wolf's best neutral.
This.

Seriously, BF is amazing. The platforms are actually really helpful when I'm playing wolf, I CP BF when I'm not sure what else to do.

EDIT: On BF, I start with a drop down laser against characters that can't reflect it. You can also drop down sideB if someone just sits up there and charges a move like DK punch. Platforms help for avoiding chaingrabs, and drop down uair is useful, as is drop down fair. SH fair hits people on platforms when you're below, and you can also utilt through for a surprise kill since most people forget wolf has that move. Nairing people on platforms to push them off, landing on the platform, and dsmashing the crap out of them is always fun too.

TheWolfBackRoom

Smash Rookie
I feel wolf does well on all the neutrals... but remember they are neutral stages for a reason. Every other character is also good on those stages so it doesn't really give wolf any advantage really...

one thing I do like to do on battlefield though is to short hop rising shine (while underneath one of the platforms) -> wolf flash right onto the other platform

-Castor (sorry i keep forgetting im logged into this account)

Sirus109

Smash Apprentice
im a huge fan of BF

the one thing i love is the use of wolf flash..it always seems to hit when someone is on the platform

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Do you have any character specific tips? I don't want the guide to lack any information on stages and who to (not) pick them against. If you know stuff about certain character and his performances (or tactics against him) on that stage it would be really helpful

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
Then I'd probably say don't fight Marth here as he has annoying fairs and his upsmash when you get trapped on a platform.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
The stage is really irrelevant for counterpicks, only a few exceptions. I mean, I'm comfortable on Lylat, so if I want to CP a Falco on Lylat, I'm going to do it. If I feel comfortable CPing Metaknight with Weegee's Mansion, then I'll do it. (But I don't feel comfortable on that stage haha).

Tactics... platforms = juggling opportunities and easy tech chase. Flat stages mean stage control. Crapped up stages mean more options for other characters (Delfino + Metaknight), none really give Wolf an advantage. Yoshi's Island gives Wolf the ability to side B along the floor... I still don't like the stage personally. My only tip in terms of stages is CP the stage you are most comfortable with, and not something that's going to screw you with Wolf, and be comfortable with every stage. I mean, no stage really gives Wolf a big edge over his opponent.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
OK, we're doing FD now. I don't want to have a long discussion on this one since it's boring. I just want to have it covered right away.

Character specific stuff is the most important thing here but some stuff is obvious (like DDD ****** here).

:034:

Smash Hero
I always ban Final Destination... This stage always seems to screw me over with the edges and it's gigantic length. Don't fight DDD or Diddy here. They **** ;_;

Although, the stage does have it's benefits for Wolf. Mostly camping with blaster... When playing on this stage, you absolutely HAVE to save your downsmash if you want to get a kill.

I recommend this stage against people without projectiles. There's nowhere to run or hide for them on this stage. The edges very much discourage planking as well.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I have a love/hate relationship with FD. Some days its one of my best, and others I screw myself over in what seems like the stupidest ways.

Its a pretty good stage for Wolf, but not something I'd counterpick unless its against a character with an equally bad or worse recovery.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
This is probably the neutral I would prefer to fight Snake on because he can't use platforms to aid his explosive game. Definitely a bad neutral to fight DDD and Falco on, though. I guess if you suck at not getting grabbed, it's not that good against Ice Climbers either? If you're dying because of the ledge, just practice I guess.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Yeah, it's good against people without projectiles, and recovery isn't that bad. Not much to say about such a normal stage >_> bair seems to be a lot more dominant here though, at least for me.

Sirus109

Smash Apprentice
FD is not so bad...im so use to playing with Wolf on the stage that I enjoy it...

one thing i cant do is the full scar thru the stage once on the ledge....i got it on Battlefield but FD....mayb it cant b done

I do camp with Wolf on this stage but since its so flat...i usually brawl and mindgame my opponent

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
It can be done, but it's the most irritating thing to pull off. Your best bet is to just semi-scar earlier than you usually would as FD has the most ridiculous edges that love to kill you.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
You can't fully scar it like you can on Battlefield. You can semi-scar it though.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
Final Destination is alright. I would really prefer smashville over it tho. Its pretty neutral with not many big advantages for wolf and smashville is pretty much 100% better.

Anyone too heavy here though as people like bowser and dk can be anoying to kill sometimes. But on the plus side you have lots of space to really abuse the blaster. If you can really outcamp someone then final D is probably a good idea. Oh and make sure to save your D-smash or a kill could be annoying to get on this stage so dont let it stale too much.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I didn't expect much tactical stuff to come anyways...so I'll move on to smashville.

I'll update the stuff and change the OP later but you can already start writing your thoughts on Smashville

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Meh, I used to like smashville a lot more. The most annoying thing for me is that wolf lacks a throw strong enough to kill reliably at low %s from the platform (idk why, this annoys me a lot more than it should). The balloon is good to nair when you have the time, to refresh your moves. The size means less camping. SH blaster pesters people on platforms well, and you can go under the stage if you really need to.

If you're in doubt, this is a solid counterpick for almost any character.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
like fd and battlefield... everyone likes smashville... not jsut wolf. 1 thing wolf can do on smashville though is to drop down from the edge -> double jump towards the other edge -> up + B and he will grab the ledge on the other side.

Sirus109

Smash Apprentice
like fd and battlefield... everyone likes smashville... not jsut wolf. 1 thing wolf can do on smashville though is to drop down from the edge -> double jump towards the other edge -> up + B and he will grab the ledge on the other side.
REALLY!?!?!? didnt know that

tekkie

Smash Master
wut

Sounds bizarre/somewhat insane. Any video? I'm probably not visualizing this right.

Sirus109

Smash Apprentice
me either...i think u fall over the edge but how....double jump doesnt allow him to make...

vid plz??

Top Bottom