• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage builder - Alleviating the lack of competitive stages?

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Which doesn't mean that Smash should do it too. There's a reason why Brawl never had any custom stages in competitive, since no one wants to smash on a stupid generic stage.
I wasn't saying Smash should be like Halo. I was just using it as an example. Also, this time around there are more options for stage customizations so they are in no way generic.

allshort17

Smash Ace
Pilotwings has stage hazards on the side of the blastzones. Delfino Plaza has swimming and walkoffs. Castle Siege has a walk off in it's second form. Miiverse is battlefield. Is smashville coming back with town and city?

I barely see any good picks.
*Smashville and Town & City are both in

*Miiverse being battlefield will be treated the same as omega FDs since Miiverse has a different main platform than BF. The main problem with this stage is that inappropriate pictures could slip into the background and that just sets a bad image for us.

*Every other example you listed just describes only part of a stage. All those parts are toned down due to the transforming nature of the stages. Pilotwings can have hazards on the side, but they are sparse and we don't know how much kill potential they have. Swimming isn't a bad thing. Water makes it so you can't die simply from falling off the side, but at the expense of being more susceptible to spikes and combos. That's a fair trade off for CPs. Walkoff are less of a problem due to the removal of chain grabs. Also, walk-offs on these stages are not permanent and when the stage does change, the person near the walk-off is forced to approach and is put in an unfavorable position. Temporary walk-offs are perfectly fine for competitive play.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
*Smashville and Town & City are both in

*Miiverse being battlefield will be treated the same as omega FDs since Miiverse has a different main platform than BF. The main problem with this stage is that inappropriate pictures could slip into the background and that just sets a bad image for us.

*Every other example you listed just describes only part of a stage. All those parts are toned down due to the transforming nature of the stages. Pilotwings can have hazards on the side, but they are sparse and we don't know how much kill potential they have. Swimming isn't a bad thing. Water makes it so you can't die simply from falling off the side, but at the expense of being more suitable to spikes and combos. That's a fair trade off for CPs. Walkoff are less of a problem due to the removal of chain grabs. Also, walk-offs on these stages are no permanent and when the stage does change, the person near the walk-off is forced to approach and is put in an unfavorable position. Temporary walk-offs are perfectly fine for competitive play.
"Edit: Okay, after reading up on the SmashWiki, I see that some of my points aren't valid. But even so we could definitely make better counterpicks than the ones we have now."

shapular

Smash Ace
Pilotwings has stage hazards on the side of the blastzones. Delfino Plaza has swimming and walkoffs. Castle Siege has a walk off in it's second form. Miiverse is battlefield. Is smashville coming back with town and city?

I barely see any good picks.

Edit: Okay, after reading up on the SmashWiki, I see that some of my points aren't valid. But even so we could definitely make better counterpicks than the ones we have now.
Delfino and Castle Siege are legal in Brawl. I won't address the rest because of your edit and because allshort17 already did. Btw allshort, I don't think inappropriate pictures will be a problem since I think Nintendo will be monitoring them and pick specific ones to be shown. I think that's the reason it won't be available on release.

The problem I have with "better counterpicks" is that that really means "more neutral counterpicks", which I think takes away from a lot of the stage variety in the game. Otherwise we end up with 12 neutrals for our entire stagelist and have more neutrals banned because we have too many of them. That's exactly what happened in Project M.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
I don't know which ones Amazing Ampharos and Thinkaman were referring to, but I'll throw in my input:

Definitely legal:
Battlefield
Final Destination+Omegas
Big Battlefield
Miiverse
Pilotwings
Town and City
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Maybe legal:
Gamer (please let this stage be good it looks awesome)
Garden of Hope
Jungle Hijinxs
Kalos Pokémon League
Mario Circuit
Mushroom Kingdom U
Orbital Gate Assault (no idea how this one really works though)
Skyloft
Windy Hill
Woolly World
Wuhu Island
Kongo Jungle 64 (depending on if the game's mechanics make it as bad for camping as in Melee)

So there's 23 of them. Decent chance 15 or more will end up being good.
the "maybe legal" list is stretching it (Gamer, Jungle Hijinx, Woolly World, Kalos Pokemon League, probably Mario Circuit as well), but yeah I don't think we really need custom stages for the Wii U version

shapular

Smash Ace
the "maybe legal" list is stretching it (Gamer, Jungle Hijinx, Woolly World, Kalos Pokemon League, probably Mario Circuit as well), but yeah I don't think we really need custom stages for the Wii U version
Yeah, but I reeeeaaally like Gamer so I want it to be legal. :( Mario Circuit looks pretty legit at least.

Cactusblah

Smash Apprentice
Or we could just use omega versions of non-competitive stages as default stage options.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
As long as we don't have too many, I don't see why not. We could stick with only 1 custom stage per theme to keep some variety. The Smash community's shown to clearly be better at designing a competitive enviroment than Nintendo, so I'm all for taking the matter into our own hands! It'd definitly beat Omega stages anyday.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
Completely agree. I hope the competitive community can get together and decide on some accepted neutral custom stages given the new flexibility of the stage builder.

Unfortunately it might be hard to ensure that everyone makes the stages the exact same way, so it might not happen :/
I didn't read the entire thread so someone may have covered this already, but iirc from the extravaganza, you can share them online over Nintendo Network? I could be completely wrong and I dreamed that so.. It sounds like a nice idea tho ;D

numanumaking13

Smash Cadet
NNID
numanumaking21
I didn't read the entire thread so someone may have covered this already, but iirc from the extravaganza, you can share them online over Nintendo Network? I could be completely wrong and I dreamed that so.. It sounds like a nice idea tho ;D
You can but it won't be available right at launch.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I understand there is a lack of neutral stages on the 3DS, HOWEVER, the Stage Builder is only for the Wii U version and that version is looking like it will have a solid 4-5 neutrals on top of counterpicks. I don't think there will be a "lack" of anything.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
I would absolutely LOVE for custom stage builder stages to get a competitive spotlight.

Back in the old arena FPS days, Unreal Tournament 2004 had many custom maps that were legal for competition (Campgrounds, Goose, Backspace, etc.) Even the Halo community made some competition legal maps via Forge, like a Sanctuary remake.

With the flexibility of stage builder this time around and more freedom in sharing stages, I really think we should try it out.

(Hopefully they're playable online)

numanumaking13

Smash Cadet
NNID
numanumaking21
I would absolutely LOVE for custom stage builder stages to get a competitive spotlight.

Back in the old arena FPS days, Unreal Tournament 2004 had many custom maps that were legal for competition (Campgrounds, Goose, Backspace, etc.) Even the Halo community made some competition legal maps via Forge, like a Sanctuary remake.

With the flexibility of stage builder this time around and more freedom in sharing stages, I really think we should try it out.

(Hopefully they're playable online)
I would love to see custom stages be allowed for tournament play, however the only thing I request is first decide as a community what stages are legal within the game first. Which I hope won't take too long and then we can talk about custom stages.

Top Bottom