• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBM + Excersize?

Zone

Smash Champion
I had this idea randomly when I realized Hey, I can work out, Improve on SSBM, and save my money. Money matches have proven to bring the better out of people opposed to Friendlys where you don't care as much if you lose.

So here is my point this is what i'm doing to stay healthy, play SSBM, and improve.

1.) IF you lose a Match
10 Pushups
20 Situps

2.) If you lose a Set
20 PUshups
40 Sit ups

this is just my standards of course lol. It's adjustable.

So not only are you excersizing, but now you don't want to lose because after a while you'll be sick of sets. Of course this is all mental. I mean you could wuss out and after like 10 sets be like Screw this... Need determination.

a.) Don't want to lose

b.) play seriously w/o putting money on the line.

c.) having Fun on SSBM.

d.) Stay Healthy

What do you think? lol
Just thought I share my new way of playing SSBM.

Na!l

Smash Journeyman
I'd do it if my friends were interested in fitness. But I know for a fact that they wouldnt agree to this.

Crashmania

Smash Journeyman
it would suck, i don't wanna wait 3 minutes between every game for someone to workout
plus they'd be all sweaty and sit back on my couch. **** that

StellaNova

Smash Journeyman
it would suck, i don't wanna wait 3 minutes between every game for someone to workout
If your friends would be sweaty after a few pushups and situps, they are REALLY out of shape and you should be WILLING to sacrifice your clean couch for their benefit. That being said, I have practiced like this before, but I also turn it into running after I am all done playing. I save it all up for the end, so when I DO the work out, it is an actual work out and I am physically tired afterward. Not just a few pushups and situps here and there.

Zone

Smash Champion
Have you ever done sit ups or Push ups? Hardly the sweating Activity.

Edit: Yes, do other work out activities such as Jogging+Other sweaty stuff at a different time. I don't know about you guys but Definantly in Air conditioning doing push-ups and Sit-ups or crunches or leg lifts or even squats hardly break a sweat otu of you unless your trying to accomplish the task as fast as you can, which then inturn makes it into Cardiovascular as well.

Just don't do Cardio and you shouldn't sweat unless you are extremely out of shape like, as in you can run for like 30 seconds and need to walk.

XtacyfalcoX

Smash Journeyman
My doubles partner and I do this when we play together. Or we do sets and the loser of a best of 5 has to do a set of barbell squats, a set of chinups, and a set of pushups.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
This seems kind of counterproductive. As you get better, you'll obviously start to lose less and thus do less excercise, which is kind of silly if the whole purpose of this regime to improve as a Smasher and stay healthy. I don't see any reason why you can't just do both independant of one another.

battousai555

Smash Ace
Yall gaming sissys need to exercise more. Stretch FIRST than do whatever you want. If your cool, like me, you'll do hand stand push ups.
Actually, one must warm up before stretching in order to get any benefits. Imagine your muscles are like taffy: if they're cold they will be stiff and not stretchable, and if they're warm they will be supple. I'm only trying to help, not be a know-it-all. ;)

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
i found that after a couple of days of lifting weights i could wavedash/waveshine better and more efficient, and i could pull better combos. anyone has a take on that?

Zone

Smash Champion
This seems kind of counterproductive. As you get better, you'll obviously start to lose less and thus do less excercise, which is kind of silly if the whole purpose of this regime to improve as a Smasher and stay healthy. I don't see any reason why you can't just do both independant of one another.
You're saying you won't lose anymore? the people you play won't get better? If your playing with pple who only know the basics and don't know anything then of course this isn't gonna work. Not one sole thing works for every situation.

If you playing someone of equal skill and your both rivals trust me. You'll have plenty of losses coming your way especially if he's doing the sets to.

Edit: look at my previous reason for doing them together as well.
To make you play more serious and not want to lose (like a money match) At the same time. Some people aren't motivated to Excersize Independantly, but need another way of doing it with a group of people. Excersizing alone is lame, Asking a stranger Black dude 10x my size to spot me feels funny. Besides, When you lose you don't really care much, When your playing and you're kinda losing, and you're doing those sets. Your gonna be like "oh hell no Your doing the sets this time."

Dunno about you guys but 1.) It's kinda fun/funny when your with ur friends and they get owned. "Haha do a set paul."

Actually, one must warm up before stretching in order to get any benefits. Imagine your muscles are like taffy: if they're cold they will be stiff and not stretchable, and if they're warm they will be supple. I'm only trying to help, not be a know-it-all. ;)
lol, yea like Jumping Jacks.

i found that after a couple of days of lifting weights i could wavedash/waveshine better and more efficient, and i could pull better combos. anyone has a take on that?
I don't know how only a couple of days of working out can affect you like that. But if your like me after a workout you feel great especially after a shower, And if you feel great, that positive thinking may affect your game. Cuz I know positive thinking and negative thinking DEFINANTLY has a role in ur game.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
You're saying you won't lose anymore? the people you play won't get better?.
I never said either of those things. My point was that doing more of one thing will invariably result in doing less of the other in this scenario. Winning more = excercising less and vice versa. If you're concerned with getting better at Smash and staying healthy, you should just do both and be done with it.

Besides, When you lose you don't really care much, When your playing and you're kinda losing, and you're doing those sets. Your gonna be like "oh hell no Your doing the sets this time."
This pretty much sums up my feelings on this issue. I don't see how doing the two things in tandem makes either of them more appealing.

It's like drinking games. The whole concept of it just doesn't make sense to me. If you want to get drunk, you should just drink. Instead, people play games where the objective is to avoid drinking... so they can get drunk...? *head explodes*

Zone

Smash Champion
I never said either of those things. My point was that doing more of one thing will invariably result in doing less of the other in this scenario. Winning more = excercising less and vice versa. If you're concerned with getting better at Smash and staying healthy, you should just do both and be done with it.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on this issue. I don't see how doing the two things in tandem makes either of them more appealing.

It's like drinking games. The whole concept of it just doesn't make sense to me. If you want to get drunk, you should just drink. Instead, people play games where the objective is to avoid drinking... so they can get drunk...? *head explodes*
Drinking games is less productive though. all it does is make you forget get hangover, taste nasty bear, and get fatter.

I think I know what your trying to get at.

I can see how winning more results in less excersize, but how does losing more result the other way? Your losing more your gaining more excersize + SKill. There is no vice versa. Plus like I already said. It'd only work on 2 players equal of skill. or you fighting someone WAY better than you lol. that way ur still improving and excersizing.

I need motivation to play seriously, and Doing a set when you lose can do just that + I don't have to excersize otu of my play-free time aside from jogging.

Top Bottom