• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBM and the MBTI

Jared_!!

Smash Rookie
Hey guys.
I'm doing a little experiment on SSBM characters and personality, and I need lots of data. One of my passions is personality profiling (here's the wiki on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) , and I really want to know what the connections are between why people have "favorite" or "natural" characters that fit them (I believe it is all related to personality type!)

What I need to know from you guys is:
1.) Your temperament (you can take a free Myers Briggs test here) in 4 letters, and
2.) Your "best fit" character. This is not necessarily your most used, but the one that you just seem to play the most smoothly with, regardless of your win streak with that character.

For example, my profile type is an ENFP (super energetic, spontaneous, loud & obnoxious, intimidating, etc.) and my best fit character is Captain Falcon. See the correlations at all? ;)

P.S. There is a lot of uncertainty and skepticism when it comes to profiling people (some are opposed to "putting people in boxes"), and I am trying to invoke the ethical implications of such; I simply want to know the connections between player and character (if any), and just love psychology :).

Thanks for reading, even if you don't end up posting! I would really love to gather as much data as possible, so if you can make the time, please do so!
Jared

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
INTJ
Jiggly puff

The only thing is there were other characters before puff, they've all been my famous, I just settled on puff at the time I got in competitively. Also, I doubt all players are the same even though they may play the same character, nevertheless it's an interesting experiment.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Uh if you're into personality psychology then you should probably be aware that the Myers-Briggs is not formally recognized as valid and is widely disregarded within the field :p

INTJ
Peach

Also, might I add a suggestion? I think you should focus more on the big 5 factors of personality rather than MBTI. I think these things might... idk. I just think it could be better to find correlations or whatever

Massive

Smash Champion
For information gathering's sake,
(E/I)NTJ Jigglypuff.

But also, this:
Uh if you're into personality psychology then you should probably be aware that the Myers-Briggs is not formally recognized as valid and is widely disregarded within the field :p
Any correlations you may draw from this data will likely not mean very much at all. Regardless, good luck to you.

Jared_!!

Smash Rookie
Wow, thanks so much for the feedback and the suggestions guys!
A chart is a fantastic idea, and I will definitely be sharing any findings I have.

I picked the MBTI mostly because it is accessible and fairly simple/general. However, I know that the results can be rather inaccurate. But alas! I hope that this data will show even the slightest hint of a connection. Thanks again!
Jared

Wow, thanks so much for the feedback and the suggestions guys!
A chart is a fantastic idea, and I will definitely be sharing any findings I have.

I picked the MBTI mostly because it is accessible and fairly simple/general. However, I know that the results can be rather inaccurate. But alas! I hope that this data will show even the slightest hint of a connection. Thanks again!
Jared
That slightness of correlation might need to be like .3 to mean anything. Do well with what you can do with MBTI

Upke

Smash Journeyman
INTJ

Picking a character is proving rather difficult. I evenly play about a dozen and a lot of them feel really visceral to me.
If I have to choose, I can only get it down to a top four: Zelda, Ganon, Luigi, and G&W.

gssdfgsfgsdfgs
Well said.

Top Bottom