• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBM and SSB mentalities different?

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
SSBM players are fond of saying, "no johns", if someone starts complaining about how cheap a character is.

SSB players by and large though, have strong sentiments against "gay" falcon and kirby strategies.

Different mentalities? what's the deal? Is SSB just that much gayer than SSBM? or is it just that ssb isn't really about tourney play, where ssbm is?

I need to get good with yoshi >___>....

Moocow007

Smash Ace
there's more gay-play to be found in SSB64 than their is in Melee. that combined with the fact that most SSB64 players are mad young whereas SSBM players are mostly in or near their 20's.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Its mainly because of the easy combo ability in SSB, also you can't tech off walls, and throws can kill, and there are too many spikes in SSB. Kirby is the only character who has a spike that combos. Falcon can do a 1000 u airs cause of the combo abliltiy. Ness can juggle you with his DJC then spike you. Kirby can swallow you up and bring you down very fast and still recover, Yoshi's B move will cause you to fall faster if you try to escape. In Melee all that cheapness is gone, now its all in the ChainThrowing and Sheik(LMAO! J/k)

EDIT: No Wonder why all the kids at my school don't like SSBM, all the good players are 20 yrs old. I'm like one of the few kids who started playing SSBM seriously at the age of 13. But now I'm 15 =O

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
In a nutshell, he's asking why do SSB plays complain so much.
I'm thinking this is partly due to his match with karma today though.
*Edit* Whoops. Bit late there.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
People who play ssb64 complain and ***** alot cuss they know the person who pwned them online cant beat the **** out of um cuss they live far away ^^

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Those people are scrubs. Dont play Amy. She gets mad when you grab, and if you stop and try to like laugh and play falcon without grabs she grabs furiously, proclaims she beat you at your own game with donkeykong off the rapetent to dair on her last stock and tells you that you play unfair.

Its disturbing and it ruined my mentality for the night, had to go to youtube.

Volrec

Smash Lord
I hate this game, even when I AM winning. Yup, I said it. SSBM is the greatest game ever. DI's hard. 0 to deaths. 1 type of tech. You can't complain in SSBM. No one ever does, and if they do. much lulz.

Also, Dylan, real men play not falcon against DK, even if it is the funnest combos in a match.

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
Online brings out the worst in people. If you go to a real tournament like Sensei's people are a lot more civilized.

Lord Kirby

Smash Journeyman
u guys already sound retarted. wat yall need is a
SUPER MARIO BROS SPLIT SCREEN CO-OP RACE!!!

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Also, Dylan, real men play not falcon against DK, even if it is the funnest combos in a match.
Well I only play the one character well and I dont like losing so.. Why not? A good dk can kill off falcon pretty fast too once he gets a grab or whatever. The combos feel artificial on dk though you dont have to work for em, but whatever gets the job done at least hes intresting to edgeguard since most good players have crazy recovery DI.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Probably because SSBM has a much more competitive scene. ...Maybe. Then again, I'm not sure how old the typical SSBer is. Or the typical age for Japan's SSBers.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Actually there is a bit tiny handicap, your at your maximum at the age 18-20. People have better reflex skills and can do thing younger people cant. Just nobody at my entire school plays any Nintendo games.

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
Average males physical and mental abilities peak at age 25. Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to games, because human reflex skills can peak much earlier. Look at Lil Poison, he started playing professional Halo when he was 6 years old.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I think younger people are playing ssb64 since its online. People the age of 12-16 cant really drive all the way for tournaments like FC and stuff. Very rarly do u see a kid at those tournaments

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
most of the pro ssb64 players i know are between 18-22 including myself

Yeah just from watching your vids I figured your playstyle was that of someone who had experience so I figured you were over 18. I play in many ways the same style of falcon that you do and I'm 19.

We really should falcon ditto sometime, I like playing good falcons and ive realized that there IS something you can do to DI out of those falcon death comboz at times Other times its just say goodbye to your stock and come back wtih a vengence :laugh:

_kSo_

Smash Master
Yeah just from watching your vids I figured your playstyle was that of someone who had experience so I figured you were over 18. I play in many ways the same style of falcon that you do and I'm 19.

We really should falcon ditto sometime, I like playing good falcons and ive realized that there IS something you can do to DI out of those falcon death comboz at times Other times its just say goodbye to your stock and come back wtih a vengence :laugh:
word.

you missed it, i was actually playing online this morning

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Umm...

KSO...

Why do you say that you're pro? What do you mean as pro anyway >__>
KSO's not pro because his approach with falcon isn't close to good enough to allow him to consistently beat the REALLY GOOD players.

I'm not a pro for the same reason, and comparing myself to KSO's videos of his falcon he's actually more consistent in his combos and has a faster approach than I do. But his videos are console videos so they're really smooth and look nice, online you have to factor in the delay and lag spikes that F*** up a lot of combos :(

Kso is probably a better player than ninety five percent of the SSB64 player if you consider how many weak players are out there.

I mean it's pathetic on emularena if you play random matches (which I do sometimes) Yesterday I 5 stocked 6 different people. I should stick to vs matches with people that kick my *** so I can get better. Its just combo practice to play noobies.

By pro I think we mean Isai, Boom, Johnny and anyone else up there than can compete with them without being 2-5 stocked almost every match.

K Balls

Smash Journeyman
i personally dont like melee. Its so unbalanced. at least in old smash EVER character has potential. melee is just broken. the speed is too fast in melee and that just makes the faster characters faster. Its like playing MvC2 (won't go there). And i hate when people say that theres no DI in old smash there is. ask Malva. I think personally melee was made too fast. It came out 2 years afer ssb came out. I am really looking forward to brawl.

Rupus

BRoomer
BRoomer
I wouldn't say it was broken, just look at people like Gimpyfish, Taj and Bum. They play the lower tiers, and compete with the top people, so it's not really broken.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
There's also Chu Dat's Pikachu, Svampen's Yoshi, Neo's Roy (a current one is exarch), Simna's Ness, Ka-Master's Luigi, Smasher/Aniki's Link, Chu/Caveman's Young Link, etc.

Anyone who says that Melee is broken has no clue about the game. The only truely garbage characters are Pichu and Kirby in my opinion, and even Pichu does have a lot of potential.

K Balls

Smash Journeyman
ye but do they win? playing lowtiers is good, I like the lowtiers, but the bottom tiers are better. someone playing top tier (someone Good) your chances of winning are slim. So nintendodude you dont think i have no clue about the game because its broken. How do you know if i dont have a clue about the game? "Every fighting game is broken in there own unique way". If it wasnt for SSB there would be that other game. To me any character in melee that has speed is a good character just from experinices.

Nintedodude you dont think Snap: game and watch and Kawn: Zelda are good players?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
ye but do they win? playing lowtiers is good, I like the lowtiers, but the bottom tiers are better. someone playing top tier (someone Good) your chances of winning are slim. So nintendodude you dont think i have no clue about the game because its broken. How do you know if i dont have a clue about the game? "Every fighting game is broken in there own unique way". If it wasnt for SSB there would be that other game. To me any character in melee that has speed is a good character just from experinices.

Nintedodude you dont think Snap: game and watch and Kawn: Zelda are good players?
Dyslexia? I don't see my name as Nintendodude or Nintedodude. Maybe I'm just frustrated that way too many people make this mistake >_>

But anyways, you are wrong on so many levels. First of all, Pichu is extremely fast but he isn't a good character, and stating that bottom tiers are better than low tiers is a complete disregard for common sense. Also, those players DO win. Maybe not first, but highly. Chu uses his low tiers in tourneys to get around bad IC matchups and wins most of the time. Svampen is considered one of the best players in Europe. Ka-Master just got 9th at FC, out of 256 people, using 100% Luigi. I don't know about Smasher and Aniki but they always appear in videos of winners finals and stuff in Japan so they must be placing really well.

Also "etc." implies I left people out. Who are you to say that I don't think Snap and Kawn are good players because I didn't mention them. By that logic I think that Dire Vulcan isn't very good, but how could I say that when he's one of the best players in NYC going all G&W.

After saying so many wrong things I think I can safely say that you have no clue about the game kthxbai.

K Balls

Smash Journeyman
theres good pichu people out there. Don't you watch videos NINTENDUDE1189? Pichu has his limits, but the person thats plays Pichu can make him really fast and pro-like. And what i meant by bottom tiers better than lowtiers is that i like playing the bottom tier characters because they involve more skill than the top,high,mid, w/e. Chu uses lowtiers ok, but is it a big touney? Does he get first place? Svampen is a cool guy i dont know the character that he plays. Ka-Master got 9th congrats but did he get first, i dont think so. to me luigi aint lowtier.I believe that aniki plays link or used to i dont know, but ye hes good. And if you think i have no clue about the game, your just wrong son.

and dont get me started on ice climbers lol.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
theres good pichu people out there. Don't you watch videos NINTENDUDE1189? Pichu has his limits, but the person thats plays Pichu can make him really fast and pro-like. And what i meant by bottom tiers better than lowtiers is that i like playing the bottom tier characters because they involve more skill than the top,high,mid, w/e. Chu uses lowtiers ok, but is it a big touney? Does he get first place? Svampen is a cool guy i dont know the character that he plays. Ka-Master got 9th congrats but did he get first, i dont think so. to me luigi aint lowtier.I believe that aniki plays link or used to i dont know, but ye hes good. And if you think i have no clue about the game, your just wrong son.

and dont get me started on ice climbers lol.
rofl of course Pichu can be good but he's a bad character comparatively. You are arguing that SSBM is broken yet you are arguing that a character as bad as Pichu can be good, so I don't see your point.

Chu uses low tiers in big tourneys, especially Pikachu, who's his anti-Peach character. And yes, he does get first place once and awhile at big tourneys, like at Pound 2. Svampen plays Yoshi. Ka-Master got 9th out of 256 people and he beat hoards of top tier whores so really that's good enough. When only the best players in the world are ahead of you I don't see why 9th instead of 1st matters.

I don't get why you brought up Ice Climbers either. They are a high tier character who's also my main.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Well, if the tier list is correct, by definition, Bowser cannot compete at the same level as Fox. Basically, the tier list is a ranking of the highest level of play that's been observed with each character--that means that no one's been able to play a Roy at the same level as the best observed play of a Peach. Of course, the tier list changes because people come up with new strategies to bring out higher levels of play with certain characters.

K Balls

Smash Journeyman
yes i agree greenblob, but to me bottomtiers and lowtiers cannot compete at the same level as FOX and FALCO (well depending on the player to of course).

Top Bottom