• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB Snapshot files. We need to crack em!

GTCoder

Smash Apprentice
Oh gad. The pikachu in that first video is the stuff of nightmares...

espio87

Smash Ace

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Look what I just found lol.
That is moveset swapping. Many crashes involved, and if it's possible in Brawl, it is a definite desync from an online game. I created an SSBM reference topic at arcentral.net forums(requires registration).

But what's news to me... is that there's a service pack 3? o.O
I'm using SP1 still.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I've... noticed... something odd.

Apparently, the main menu screen for Brawl... was... supposed to be... a playable stage...

The numbers are the numbers assigned to the stage. I can give a full set of stage numbers if you want, but asides from that, at number 100 I found that the main Brawl menu screen was assigned to it. I don't know what all this means, so if someone can translate it, I'd be glad.

Oh, and I can't wait for the US rips. I do hope these contents are still on the disk.

EDIT: Of course, this could also be the placeholder for the WiFi training stage or any other stage.

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
Brawl's title screen is a stage sort of. The character roll is generated by the game and is not part of the actual introduction video.

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
Translation seems pointless while the US release will be here shortly.

Can anyone post some replays or more stage files(with a bunch of unique tiles)?

RupeeClock

Smash Ace
I've... noticed... something odd.

Apparently, the main menu screen for Brawl... was... supposed to be... a playable stage...
Ah, I think I have an explanation, a simple one actually.

The My Music options let you choose which music will play for individual stages, under the Melee selection of stages you can also change the music that plays for the main menu.
It probably groups the main menu as a stage to make "My Music" for it possible.

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
That is moveset swapping. Many crashes involved, and if it's possible in Brawl, it is a definite desync from an online game. I created an SSBM reference topic at arcentral.net forums(requires registration).

But what's news to me... is that there's a service pack 3? o.O
I'm using SP1 still.
Lol wow still SP1 XD.

SP3 was just recently released to the general public. It adds alot of improvements and increases performance as many benchmarks have shown :).

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
Kakkoii, is there some way to convert the videos from thp to another format like mpeg or avi?
Not that I saw from the guy who made that App.

But looking at the THP video header and structure. It has the same structure as a JPEG image.

Making me assume it's an MJPEG video.. But any MJPEG transcoding or even playing for that matter has failed.

Yeah it is a jpeg video.. but not the usual kind.

He wrote the specs of it in here.

".thp is a video format on the gamecube. The video frames are independent "quasi-jpegs" "

http://www.amnoid.de/gc/thp.txt

espio87

Smash Ace

But looking at the THP video header and structure. It has the same structure as a JPEG image.

Making me assume it's an MJPEG video.. But any MJPEG transcoding or even playing for that matter has failed.
I was afraid of that. Guess my project for a music video will be delayed:ohwell:

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
I was afraid of that. Guess my project for a music video will be delayed:ohwell:
What you could do, is use a video capture program.

Run the THP player, play the video. And the program will record the video that's being played. They capture the pixel color data being sent to the screen.

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice

Yeah it is a jpeg video.. but not the usual kind.

He wrote the specs of it in here.

".thp is a video format on the gamecube. The video frames are independent "quasi-jpegs" "

http://www.amnoid.de/gc/thp.txt
PPC processors use Big Endian, x86 processors use Little Endian. You have to reverse any numbers consisting of two or more bytes.

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
Good news.

I've found out a codec that plays THP videos. I should hopefully have a way to convert THP videos before the end of the day.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Okay, there are a few things I wanted to ask.

First, an issue. Some textures don't really seem to work with the palettes they seem to be attached on. Perhaps because the palette is of a different type than supported. I'd like to know how you can manually combine the textures. The ones that at least don't work are the small icons for stages and character stock icons.

Also, is there any possibility some mask images are stored inside the textures? Some textures, like the buste image, have alpha transparency, so if there could be anything to indicate the transparencies, it would be great. It could help with the sticker pictures for example.

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
Nice, hope it works out:)
BTW: video 18-01 doesn't work, it only gets to frame 15 when it really has like 470 and it's 500kb
Yeah, there's an issue with a few videos.. I havn't looked into it much, but they seem to be a bit differently compiled.

Sorta like the issue with jpeg's with the .bin converter.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:)

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
First, an issue. Some textures don't really seem to work with the palettes they seem to be attached on. Perhaps because the palette is of a different type than supported. I'd like to know how you can manually combine the textures. The ones that at least don't work are the small icons for stages and character stock icons.
Check YAGCD TPL & BTI formats.

Also, is there any possibility some mask images are stored inside the textures? Some textures, like the buste image, have alpha transparency, so if there could be anything to indicate the transparencies, it would be great. It could help with the sticker pictures for example.
Hmm well I'll take a look at it.

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
As I promised, A way to convert THP videos before the end of the night :).

http://sourceforge.net/project/down...mediacoder&filename=MediaCoder-0.6.1.4063.exe

Download this program and install it.

When the program is running, drag a THP video into it, then go to the top and click Transcode>Start Transcoding

It will convert the THP video into .MP4 video and place it in the same folder where the THP video is.

(If you want it in a different format, click the Video tab near the middle of the window, and change the "Container" to the format you want.)

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
Nice Kakkoii.

OK. Now included is a batch file to convert all TPL files in a directory, and automatically rename the output file to the original file name(with tga extension). As well as a crude recognition of transparency by sampling the first pixel. >.>

http://www.mediafire.com/?bmbgzzeggzm

EDIT: I tried out that program, and the Sound is off. >.>

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
Nice Kakkoii.

OK. Now included is a batch file to convert all TPL files in a directory, and automatically rename the output file to the original file name(with tga extension). As well as a crude recognition of transparency by sampling the first pixel. >.>

http://www.mediafire.com/?bmbgzzeggzm

EDIT: I tried out that program, and the Sound is off. >.>
Uhhh.. It's not off for me lol. Which video did you convert.

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
Eh, well I'm using Lame MP3 and XVid(avi) as the convert to options since I can't play mp4 files on my PC. It's all of them basically. Video plays faster than the sound.

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
Eh, well I'm using Lame MP3 and XVid(avi) as the convert to options since I can't play mp4 files on my PC. It's all of them basically. Video plays faster than the sound.
Yeah, the audio does seem to be a tad slower :(, I'll look into it.

Btw, check your **** inbox!!! XD

GTCoder

Smash Apprentice
Bleah, sometimes things take a little more code than you expect. :p I have a Windows GUI program that lets you select multiple files. It automatically deletes .bin files and .out files depending on options you select.

All that's left is to add automatic resizing of the images (and maybe do a little anti-aliasing/filtering), and I have the library set up to do it. But I'm tired and have an assignment in the morning (busy week at school/lab), so I'll try to finish in the afternoon.

It should be all nice in time for U.S. Brawl. :) To Linux/Mac people, I'm sorry...I'll at least try to release nice command-line Linux binaries/scripts. =P Maybe even with resize if you're lucky.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Ah, found the mistake in combining the palettes with the images for some.

Apparently during combining, it uses only the first palette file for each subsequent image group. To clarify what I mean, let's say we have these files:

MenSelchrFaceB.461.tex0
MenSelchrFaceB.462.tex0

Naturally you'd want to use:

MenSelchrFaceB.461.PLT0
MenSelchrFaceB.462.PLT0

for each subsequent file. However, both use:

MenSelchrFaceB.461.PLT0

Also, if you could, could you also include a command line option that defines whether or not to combine the textures with the palettes?

EDIT:

Found out that the 0.7 version already added transparency, which makes the 0.8 addition pretty useless. You don't need to recolor the background anymore :p

I should have run Paint.NET for my TGA files.

Also, the first 64 bytes of the palette data is useless, you can just prune that part. Saves the TPL size. The only thing I need to find out is how to fix the stock images.

EDIT2:

RGB5A3 works probably like this (in case anyone wants to create their own tool for TPL conversion, since the current one lacks certain features):

If the first bit of two bytes is a 1, it uses RGB5 (1rrr rrgg gggb bbbb), else it uses the RGB4A3 format (0ttt rrrr gggg bbbb).

Now to figure out the other two. Then I'll try to figure out the file format itself so that I can make a PHP converter.

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
for each subsequent file. However, both use:

MenSelchrFaceB.461.PLT0
Fixed.

Also, if you could, could you also include a command line option that defines whether or not to combine the textures with the palettes?
Working on it.

Found out that the 0.7 version already added transparency, which makes the 0.8 addition pretty useless. You don't need to recolor the background anymore :p
Eh? It didn't appear to for me... For example, the sticker files(toy/seal/).

Also, the first 64 bytes of the palette data is useless, you can just prune that part. Saves the TPL size. The only thing I need to find out is how to fix the stock images.
You sure about that? o.O
First 64 bytes of what exactly? The data after the palette header in a TPL file or the first 64 bytes in a PLT0 file?

Phred

Smash Journeyman
Is there a .exe or otherwise a nice GUI interface for running the bin2jpg converter yet?
The online version is nice and easy to use, but I'm not sure everyone knows their way around command prompt...

L0nk

Smash Rookie
Well, now I read, GTCoder also wrote a GUI - bummer - I also wrote mine and wanted to release it - anyway, I'll do..
first of all: all my thanks go out to GTCoder as he is the one making the program possible - I converted his out2jpg code and integrated it in my application (my program is written in Delphi so the code is ported) - as the bin code is not open the program requires bindecrypt.exe to be in its directory but I have included it in my zip package.

To GTCoder again: looking at your code - it was awesome to read.

What are some differences to the other stuff:
-it tries to automatically detect whether you open a bin or out file
-it uses the data GTCOder published about hex value 0x44 (or 0x34 for lzss data) to parse widescreen

I included a batch converter, some additional wide screen stuff as well as exporters to BMP, JPG and PNG - of course you can also decrypt the data to JPEG (no quality loss but widescreen wouldn't be corrected then).

I would be very fond about all testing you can do with it!

I will probably also open the source of the program, right now the source code is a mess, I will sort it out a little bit and release it.

download at: http://l0nk.org/ssbbconvert.zip

unpack it into a folder you have write access to, it requires it!

GTCoder, thank you for your work.. and I hope my program is some kinda contribution - however, I would also love to see your GUI!

GTCoder

Smash Apprentice
:( People beat me to everything.

What did you use to do image conversion? My program is also stupid and only opens .bin's. :p I could post it but I haven't finished the image conversion (I want to do static linking with ImageMagick but haven't figured that out yet).

Well, now I read, GTCoder also wrote a GUI - bummer - I also wrote mine and wanted to release it - anyway, I'll do..

L0nk

Smash Rookie
Basically, I was mostly using Delphi internal conversion stuff (TImage, TBitmap, TPicture, TJpegImage and the downloaded TPNGObject) - for then.. when the program opens a file it tries running bindecrypt on it and then tries converting the decrypted file (this is happening internally as I ported your code - the only difference is that my code is raising exceptions instead of writing on the console in case of errors) - if it fails opening it tries again without decrypting before - if that fails.. it gives up..

once it's decrypted it copies the output buffer into a memory stream and loads the memory stream as a JPEG image - from there all additional treatment is done - and most stuff was actually done using downloaded classes and such

Phred

Smash Journeyman
first of all: all my thanks go out to GTCoder as he is the one making the program possible - I converted his out2jpg code and integrated it in my application (my program is written in Delphi so the code is ported) - as the bin code is not open the program requires bindecrypt.exe to be in its directory but I have included it in my zip package.

To GTCoder again: looking at your code - it was awesome to read.

What are some differences to the other stuff:
-it tries to automatically detect whether you open a bin or out file
-it uses the data GTCOder published about hex value 0x44 (or 0x34 for lzss data) to parse widescreen

I included a batch converter, some additional wide screen stuff as well as exporters to BMP, JPG and PNG - of course you can also decrypt the data to JPEG (no quality loss but widescreen wouldn't be corrected then).

I would be very fond about all testing you can do with it!

I will probably also open the source of the program, right now the source code is a mess, I will sort it out a little bit and release it.

download at: http://l0nk.org/ssbbconvert.zip

unpack it into a folder you have write access to, it requires it!

GTCoder, thank you for your work.. and I hope my program is some kinda contribution - however, I would also love to see your GUI!
Very nice! Almost exactly what I imagined the GUI interface to look like!
Except the window doesn't resize itself to fit the image when you load one in...
And there's no .bin filter on the file chooser. That would make finding and opening the screenshots a bit easier.

espio87

Smash Ace
guys, a quick question: these are not images per se, but can the textures in the game disc be visualized? if they can then maybe we can get a glimpse at the textures of the Forbidden 7!

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Eh? It didn't appear to for me... For example, the sticker files(toy/seal/).
I only figured that out until after I accidentally double-clicked it, which opened Paint.NET. It appears that the program TPLX automatically sets the transparency in the TGA file. However, since almost no program has the ability to view transparent or alpha layered TGA files, Paint.NET being the exception, the files appear as normal flat images.

You sure about that? o.O
First 64 bytes of what exactly? The data after the palette header in a TPL file or the first 64 bytes in a PLT0 file?
It's just for the PLT0 file. Since you've already moved the useless data after the main palette data, it's not really that important.

Also, I've noticed that the palette size is defined by the remainder divided by two, at least for RGB5A3 type palettes. However, since TPLX was abandoned before it was being completed, it lacked this feature.

L0nk

Smash Rookie
Very nice! Almost exactly what I imagined the GUI interface to look like!
Except the window doesn't resize itself to fit the image when you load one in...
And there's no .bin filter on the file chooser. That would make finding and opening the screenshots a bit easier.
I did a modification to it - it should be changed by now, so it should work - redownload and it should work!

http://l0nk.org/ssbbconvert.zip

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
There is no coding for the "forbidden 7". Never was. That Character ID list is the actual list used in the game, and any other list posted is nothing but garbage text(with the exception of the internal list which also doesn't include non-existent characters). Yes a hacking device or Custom Stage hack will be able to play the missing music tracks.

Top Bottom