• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ssb64 ?

marth/roy

Smash Apprentice
hey everyone nice to meet u guys. i use to play ssb a lot. until i started playin ssbm. but now i have figured i would like to play both. so i just went out recently and bought another nintendo 64 and a copy of smash. and since theres no better place than smashboards i wanted to ask: can anyone tell me the advanced techniques. i have herd u can L-cancel---wich is awesome. so just tell me what techniques there are and how i can do them. thank u so much.

valoem

Smash Journeyman
i dunno about L cancel but if u live on the east coast i will challenge you for money

AzN_LepREchAUn

Smash Cadet
Z-Cancel

Actually, in SSB64 it's called z-cancelling (due to the use of the 'z' button to do so.) It's pretty much like L-cancelling except a helluva lot faster. When you Z-cancel an aerial there is barely, if any, lag time for a wind down animation.

As far as I know, I think the only other "advanced techniques" would be dash dancing and spiking (if you really consider that an advanced technique.)

The_Krumber

Smash Journeyman
dont forget rolling...

even though it's not an advanced technique, you have to know when and how to roll well to win matchups(especially against a ness)

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
My guess is you're a brawl player accepting a money match against valoem, and thought L cancel refered to the brawl player of that name. Also, valoem being a brawl player (I believe) doesn't help. But just letting you know, you posted in the smash 64 section in a topic that was in 2005. No worries, just be careful next time.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
East coast money matches where?

Blue Yoshi, valoem was a ssb64 player way before brawl came out. He used to play online.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I know he was. His post was in 2005... well before brawl came out. I was just letting amac22 know that this was the 64 forums. I saw how he could have gotten this thread confused with a brawl thread due to brawl player's names.

The Star King

Smash Hero
In Melee, L-Cancel stands for Lag Cancel, NOT THE BUTTON YOU PRESS.

So it should be that in 64 too, but the community's ignorance made it change to Z-cancel >=[

Signia

Smash Lord
Pretty sure Z-canceling in 64 was discovered before L-canceling in Melee. And since Z-canceling referred to the button, I'm sure L-cancel referred to the button at some point...

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
i'd be down for some money matches on the east coast, sheer and amac. i'm rusty as hell, but i'll give it a shot. i posted a topic about this a few weeks ago, but only sensei responded. anyways, so you don't have to look for it, i'm living in new brunswick nj and i can host.

and ah man. valoem posting back in '05. i miss when he and i used to play smash 64 for hours on end.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Pretty sure Z-canceling in 64 was discovered before L-canceling in Melee. And since Z-canceling referred to the button, I'm sure L-cancel referred to the button at some point...
I'd say this makes sense. Yay, everybody's correct. The fact that L was the button that cancelled lag was coincidence.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I really doubt it. L cancel probably referred to the button originally. But you can say it stands for lag cancel now. Same deal with TAS. Originally meant tool assisted speedrun, but when people made other tool assisted stuff it was easier to still call it TAS so you say TAS stands for tool assisted superplay.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Z-cancel sounds MUCH cooler than L-cancel :p

I wonder what ssb64 would be like with wavedashing and wall teching. Probably worse.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I dont play melee anymore but I still follow the scene and watch the tourney vids. The level of play was unbeleivable at genesis! Ive never seen melee played that well before, zhu's falco really impressed me.

Nice avatar zenyore, how sexy is your falcon? very

also, I have gone back to my classic DYLAN_TNGA SAKURAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!! avatar. lol

Top Bottom