• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ssb64 School Tournament

Vanst

Smash Apprentice
There's a Ssb64 tourney at my school next week and I just figured out the rules are 4 players free for all with items on. All this time I have been practicing 1vs1 no items. I consider myself a above average player and know that items, in my opinion, are completely random and take no skill to use. What should I do?

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Is it stock FFA? Are all items on?

For stock FFA, camp as much as possible (as much as you can without the other players deciding to gang up on you), and then you should be in a 1v1 situation where you have more lives than your opponent.

If you're good at 1v1 you should still have a big advantage at 1v1 even with items. I'm sure other people can give specific item related tips. The only one I know is that the ray gun can combo really well.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
If items are on, use them. They are a great way to attack opponents without putting yourself in danger. Most items (like the fire flower, for example) aren't good in regular use, but you can throw them at your opponents. Other items, like the ray gun, have a good long-range use. GO FOR THE POKEBALL AND HAMMER. They are VERY good offensive items. Also, go al out for stars, tomatos, and heart pieces, as these will either heal your life, or make you invincible so you can freely charge in. If you see a "useless" item, pick it up and throw it. There is no such thing as a useless item.

I can give better advice if I knew which character you are, since some characters can do different things with items on. Also, is it time or stock? Because this changes EVERYTHING. Stock, it would be better to sit back and save your stocks, while time, you go for the kill (i.e. attack the person with the highest damage).

Can you give us a little more info on the rules you are using?

Vanst

Smash Apprentice
I'm guessing it will be stock, like about 5 and no time. We had a mario kart 64 tourney at the school back in December, so I'm sure the rules are similar. Oh and I'm using Pikachu. :)

firo

Smash Ace
A good way to screw people over is to kill them while they have a hammer. Less skilled players think that they are invincible with that thing, when in reality they are vulnerable to hits from below, some grabs, and projectiles. And if you have died rushing someone with a hammer while invincible is an easy kill, considering they can't jump.

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
Throw gimps hammer users hard if you can get inside the hitbox or if you're invincible.

FFA Pikachu can do what he usually does, including extended edgeguard combos so long as you're confident you can recover successfully bearing in mind the other one or two players might try to edgeguard you.

Items won't be as a big a factor as you think (except certain ones, like the Ray Gun and Poké Ball, plus recovery items), unless they turn them on Very High or something. Never ever pick up crates, throw Fans and Fire Flowers, and void Bob-ombs if you think there's even a chance they're close to getting up on their own.

How good is Pika with the Beam Sword? Actually, I don't know if anyone is good with the Beam Sword in 64. Probably you should just throw it too.

Final word of advice: pray no one picks Peach's Castle or Zebes.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Don't listen to ballin. If you camp in FFAs, you're lame and you're going to be targeted by bulllies.

Bullies specifically target people who camp in FFAs, right?

Most items (like the fire flower, for example) aren't good in regular use
WTF, the fire flower is really good in Smash 64. It breaks shields, traps people against walls and can easily do 200%+.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
You have to camp while not making it too obvious. Also if you don't know the people you're playing against, then they are less likely to say "HEY LET'S ALL GANG UP ON THIS GUY!"

B Link

Smash Lord
No offense but if he's truly an above average player he doesn't need advice to beat some people from his school. I beat the best players in my entire university and the closest one who thought he was good used the sole tactic of drilling from above with jigglypuff.

If they're actually good then...lol

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Camp subtly. Don't make it obvious, stay just out of range, and hit with B-Air/smashes now and then, and don't spam thunderjolt, that just makes you a target.

Pick up items and throw them, unless they are the beam sword, in which case you jab with it (by far the most broken aspect of the beam sword, F-Tilt if you want power). Don't go for health items if you might die in the attempt. Remember where motion sensor bombs land.

Survival > getting kills.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
Try to play with items on from now until the tourney, so u get used to using them a bit. They can add a tricky extra element to the game that will hurt you if you arent good with em and the other players are. You never know, there are some decent smash players that never made it to smashboards and play with more obscure rules(items, 3-stock, etc.), but most likely they are n00bs and you will pwn them with your 1337 skills..
Oh, and is it all items on? Or are they turning off hearts, tomatoes, or stars or anything?

Anyway here are a few tips for using items:

1) often times throwing the item is the best choice, but not always, especially if you are good at being a nuisance with said item. People play you differently when you have an item in your hand, usually because they are scared of getting it thrown at them. <know this and crush them!
2) like asianaussie said, when using items like the beam sword and bat, use tap A and use tilts, the smash attacks are powerful but impractical because of how slow they are(often times your characters normal side smash attack is much quicker and more effective).
3) keep them on their toes by sometimes using useful items, and sometimes throwing them.
4) you can still use your Nair while holding onto item, and maybe your b moves, (i dunno about links bombs, or other ariels(i am a real man(i turn items off))but it might be good for you to test out).

When a character is off the stage its easy to gimp them with a thrown item, either directly at them, or while edgeguarding throw straight up while standing at the edge and when it falls it will add an extra obstacle for the person trying to recover.

All jokes aside, hope this helps a bit, and good luck.

:phone:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
You cannot use any aerials while holding an item. You can only use B moves in the air. Same with Link's bombs.

Beam Sword and Homerun smash hits are astoundingly powerful and large, comparable to DK's F-Smash, only with more power and ending lag. Use smashes if there's a cluster of opponents biffing it out.

Throwing a bumper downwards is basically hitting them with Fox's shine from afar.

I maintain items are bs.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
You cannot use any aerials while holding an item. You can only use B moves in the air. Same with Link's bombs.

Beam Sword and Homerun smash hits are astoundingly powerful and large, comparable to DK's F-Smash, only with more power and ending lag. Use smashes if there's a cluster of opponents biffing it out.

Throwing a bumper downwards is basically hitting them with Fox's shine from afar.

I maintain items are bs.
You can definitely Neutral Air,
But you're right, they are bs.
Edit: it depends on the weapon if you can Nair. You can with a beam sword, but not with a ray gun or fire flower

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Jimmy is right aa. You can use every aerial while holding certain items like the beam sword.

Here I am thinking you were a walking asian encyclopaedia of Smash too.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
nvm im stupid and item equates to link's bomb for me

i've given up obscure smash knowledge for practical knowledge of medicine and anatomy

though i guess this is hardly obscure

brb quitting smash :<

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
It's funny how little knowledge of items we "real smashers" have..
Didn't know you can use any Ariel with the beam sword, that's pretty badass.. well, for an item anyway...

Vanst

Smash Apprentice
Thank you everyone for helping and giving me advice for the tournament. I just got back not too long ago and unfortunately didn't win. It was a four minute timed tournament and whoever got the most kills won. Items weren't really even an issue because they were put on low. I lost to DK on Peach's Castle by one kill because he camped the bridge and kept throwing me off. I'm a little mad about that lol, but again thanks everyone. :D

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
normally an item that isn't used by throwing (aka pokeball, bomb-omb, bumper, etc) will allow a player to use their UP and down attacks.

Held items take away:
N-air
F-air
F-smash
jab
grab
f-tilt

other then that, you can use the character normally.

The Star King

Smash Hero
normally an item that isn't used by throwing (aka pokeball, bomb-omb, bumper, etc) will allow a player to use their UP and down attacks.

Held items take away:
N-air
F-air
F-smash
jab
grab
f-tilt

other then that, you can use the character normally.
What titus said. Categorizing items into just "throwing" and "not throwing" doesn't work. Battering items don't take away your N-air or F-air.

Top Bottom