• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Would it be even possible for Raiden to be in Smash considering he was already in PABR? too much of a licensing/nintendo vs sony mess right?
Anything could happen, but I do get where you're coming from.

Also, welcome to Smashboards.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Maybe they'll edit it. Taking down the interview would confirm Raiden in Sm4sh, imo.
Even editing it out could do that. It was posted on the internet, there's no taking it back now no matter how hard they try. It's probably best if it's not acknowledged by them at all.

Last edited:

SaikyoBro

The One Who Knocks
NNID
SaikyoBro
I think he realizes this.

I for one am thinking this is a coverup, as PSABR was also developed in japan, with japanese mo cap actors (for the most part), so i don't know why Langdon would be involved in any way, especially considering he isn't listed in the credits.
Not true, game was developed by SuperBot who IIRC were in Santa Monica.

I want this to be true and I want Snake a lot but there are a few reasons I'm dubious. Playstation All-Stars's credits don't make mention of him, true, but he could simply be uncredited. The voice of Polygon Man wasn't listed in that game either.

There are a lot of people saying that Raiden's mocap in that game was entirely ripped from MGR, which I would love to see a source for. Even so there are several animations that could not have been in MGR (his rival battles with Cole), so it's not impossible to rule out Langdon's involvement in that game.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
The very fact that we can't find a source saying he did is as good as saying that he didn't. You can't find a source for something that never happened. Why would it be mentioned anywhere, ever, that a specific person didn't work on something? An inability to find proof that he did do the work should be taken as an indication that he didn't.
I see what principle you are applying (absolutely proving a negative) but I don't think it entirely fits. It would be sufficient to show that the motion capture (if it exists) comes from elsewhere as others having been claiming. Moreover that segment of the interview seems to be in the context of motion capture, which seems quite unlikely for Smash Bros. It is entirely feasible that he did some minor motion capture for that game and made a mistake. The game's credits do mention motion capture but I don't think it mentions actors in particular (only IMDb mentions it, but omissions are very common there especially for non-voice roles).

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Yeah, he could have totally been talking about the mocap in the cut scenes in PSABR. I think that's somewhat likely.

SaikyoBro

The One Who Knocks
NNID
SaikyoBro
Yeah, he could have totally been talking about the mocap in the cut scenes in PSABR. I think that's somewhat likely.
I really am starting to think this may be the case. It's possible he was referring to Raiden's win-posees, loss-poses, taunts, level 3 cinematic, and the aforementioned rival cutscenes with Cole, or possibly even the game's intro. This would also really support his statement about Raiden's role being very minimal in the game.

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
One problem with this Raiden thing is that Raiden hasn't (respectfully) been a Nintendo system.

- Super Smash Bros. Brawl: A mere sticker
- Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel : Referenced (by his real name "Jack", plus it's a non-canon game)
- Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D: Non-canon cameo.

So I have my doubts on this.
Twin Snakes on the Gamecube dude .... that is all

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
Some things to note:

-Motion capture work is rarely credited due to contracts and other legal mumbo jumbo stuff.
-Sakurai has stated in an Iwata Asks episode that he uses Japanese action figures with multiple points of articulation to do the "mocap" for Smash Bros. characters.
-I told you so.

Twin Snakes on the Gamecube dude .... that is all
Raiden is not Frank Jaeger.

Last edited by a moderator:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Some things to note:

-Motion capture work is rarely credited due to contracts and other legal mumbo jumbo stuff.
-Sakurai has stated in an Iwata Asks episode that he uses Japanese action figures with multiple points of articulation to do the "mocap" for Smash Bros. characters.
-I told you so.
He played as Raiden in PSABR (probably at an expo) and thought it was the new Smash?

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
I'll be back when everyone is done talking about MGS, not that I don't like the character, I just hate the topic.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Guess this is why Sakurai went to Platinum Studios a while back.....

Seriously though, if Raiden is in this game in any capacity, that would mean that there is a character that appeared in both Smash Bros. and Playstation All Stars. Wild.
Or, in my opinion, if Raiden is playable, and so is Snake (which I doubt they'd cut), then maybe there will be two Sonic characters and two MegaMan characters. But.. that's me being really hopeful. I'd love to have Tails and Protoman in the game as well.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Or, in my opinion, if Raiden is playable, and so is Snake (which I doubt they'd cut), then maybe there will be two Sonic characters and two MegaMan characters. But.. that's me being really hopeful. I'd love to have Tails and Protoman in the game as well.
That would mean at least 4 of the newcomers we're getting are third party with a minimum of 6 third party characters, and I seriously don't see that happening.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Would it be even possible for Raiden to be in Smash considering he was already in PABR? too much of a licensing/nintendo vs sony mess right?
For Raiden to be playable maybe, but all this doesn't point to that at all.

For a minor appearance, I don't think there should be any legal hurdles.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I meant I told ya so at the "he confused PSASBR with Smash Bros."
I'm just messing with you, you did kind of lay out a bunch of different options on what could have happened so chances are you would have had at least one I told you moment.

@Bauske Ms. Pacman for second rep and last minute clone?

Last edited:

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I don't believe what he said for a second lol. I can't believe anyone would. He's backtracking, as I expected.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
That would mean at least 4 of the newcomers we're getting are third party with a minimum of 6 third party characters, and I seriously don't see that happening.
Yeah, I don't either. It's just me being super hopeful, but not realistic at all. :p

As for the Reuban Langdon thing, he's totally backtracking right now. He's probably not in the loop, so he didn't realize Snake or whoever hadn't been revealed yet, and made a mistake saying what he said. He's just trying to cover his butt before Nintendo gets on his case.

Last edited:

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
I don't believe what he said for a second lol. I can't believe anyone would. He's backtracking, as I expected.
I believe him because that segment of the interview appears to be concerned with motion capture, of which it is unlikely Smash Bros. contains any. He mentions doing a small stint playing Raiden, and Raiden does have a few moments of uncredited motion capture in PSASBR. The role is so minor that he could easily have forgotten what game it was in particular, only that it was a cross-over fighter.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think he's backtracking. I could be wrong, but given past VA slip-ups, this may well be true and MGS content will be featured in Smash 4.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I think he's backtracking. I could be wrong, but given past VA slip-ups, this may well be true and MGS content will be featured in Smash 4.
If this come true. It would be hilarious

Didn't David Hayter (voice of Solid Snake) accidentally leak Jiggs?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
If this come true. It would be hilarious

Didn't David Hayter (voice of Solid Snake) accidentally leak Jiggs?
Yes, and Krystal's VA leaked her appearance in Brawl. So this isn't unheard of.

Well, that settles it for me. We're getting SOMETHING from MGS in Smash 4. Suck it haters. :p

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
Of course it was a slip-up. It's a slip-up along the lines of the artist who drew the boxarts to the Pocky & Rocky games referring to them as 'girl and raccoon' on his portfolio.

Last edited:

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I never even considered that. I didn't know that PS All-Stars had cutscenes, even though it' makes sense. Don't I feel silly...

I still think that, if he were telling the truth, he would be more specific regarding in what capacity he "played"--a very loose term being thrown around--Raiden.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
He mentions doing a small stint playing Raiden, and Raiden does have a few moments of uncredited motion capture in PSASBR.
Uncredited motion capture is not the same as "playing" Raiden. Grunts are playing him, credited motion capture is playing him, facial capture is playing him, using his likeness is playing him. Uncredited motion capture though?

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Uncredited motion capture is not the same as "playing" Raiden. Grunts are playing him, credited motion capture is playing him, facial capture is playing him, using his likeness is playing him. Uncredited motion capture though?
Strictly speaking the only difference between credited motion capture and uncredited motion capture is being acknowledged. Anyway he said himself in the interview that it was a small role.

More specifically he talked about Metal Gear drifting into his 'field'. Voice acting has been in since MGS so I doubt he is talking about that, more likely he is referring to the motion capture.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
If by the slim chance raiden is in then I could see his trailer work like this: We snake approaching the battlefield but it's styled like a PSABR cutscene. Then we see a shadow figure swooped down and approach him. Raiden: I figured you would show up here snake, now it's time to take you back to where you truly belong. Snake: No! I am never going there you can't make me. Raiden Seeks Revenge! An epic CGI fightscene happens. Then in the end when Raiden is about to finish snake off, Mario comes in and punches him sending him flying! How epic would that be?!

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
Chances for Snake are still higher today than they were yesterday, even with the walkback imo.

Just a shame we can't get MK Raiden.

D

Deleted member

Sounds an awful lot like backpeddling to me considering he's not credited anywhere for PSASBR.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Sounds an awful lot like backpeddling to me considering he's not credited anywhere for PSASBR.
Pretty sure that the voice clips were directly ripped from MGS.
I'm feeling really confident about Snake now.
Raiden makes a lot of sense as an assist trophy, or even just a codec conversation.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The thing with being uncredited is that it doesn't invalidate the actor did work on the title.

I remember Fire Emblem: Awakening had some uncredited voice actors (for example, Lucina's VA, Laura Bailey, wasn't credited in the game).

Last edited:

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure that the voice clips were directly ripped from MGS.
I'm feeling really confident about Snake now.
Raiden makes a lot of sense as an assist trophy, or even just a codec conversation.
That part of the interview was not regarding voice work. It was in reference to motion capture work that Reuben did in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Yeah I'm sure he blurted out that he's in a game that he signed a NDA on. It's not like Nintendo told him not to talk about it or anything. And I'm also sure he'd leave the interview link up on his twitter with that statement even with the story spreading around, and people asking him about it.

I obviously could be as wrong as I think you guys are, but sometimes if it quacks like a duck, and then says it's a duck.....

Hey if I'm wrong, cool, sounds like you guys want him involved (or Raiden and Snake) and I hope you get who you want, but this really seems like a mistake, hope you guys don't get excited for nothing :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom