• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
If he isn't in by this point, or if Sakurai didn't contact him, even if he's not even sure, I'd say he's done for!
But thanks for the "isn't sure".
Well, to be fair, he could have been lying. If Snake is in the game but Sakurai wanted to hold off on announcing him, saying "Oh ya, he's in" would probably cause problems lol. Saying that he isn't sure is the easiest way to dismiss the question without really answering it. I don't think this really says anything to be honest.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Until someone finds the evidence as to what he potentially said in that interview I'll allow this discussion, but after that you all will have to take it to the Veteran Snake forum.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*sigh*
It was heartbreaking to see the Shulk leak get debunked so quickly, especially when it's a character you want. I still find him to be one of the most likely characters for Smash however.

As for Kojima… I guess he is being vague on Snake's appearance for speculation and such. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Snake get cut.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
ROB. Ice Climbers. Mr. Game & Watch. Ness & Lucas.

Obscurity is a non-factor and even if it was, Xenoblade isn't that obscure. Many people know it from Operation Rainfall if nothing else. That's where I heard about it before I actually got the game.
Game and Watches were huge. G&W and Ice Climbers are retro, not obscure. Ness & Lucas weren't obscure at the time either.

If it wasn't for ROB, the game industry as we know it probably wouldn't exist.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If he isn't in by this point, or if Sakurai didn't contact him, even if he's not even sure, I'd say he's done for!
But thanks for the "isn't sure".
"Isn't sure" is what Sega said for Sonic in June 2013.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
The question is asked around 29:10 in the video. Have at it folks.
He wants Snake back. But thats it. He doesn't think/not sure if Snake will return though. (So he's not directly involved this time around)

So, it's not a deconfirmation. It's just him thinking Konami will probably say no. Which wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
The question is asked around 29:10 in the video. Have at it folks.
"I'm not working on the game, so I don't know, but I don't think that's likely," Kojima doesn't think it's likely, I'm taking that as honest opinion, and weighing a lot of importance on this line.
The translator then says. "If Mr. Sakurai is watching this, well, please use Snake," . . . I'm not sure about those last three words, though, the audio quality is doo doo.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
"I haven't been working on the game, so I don't know, but I don't think that's likely," Kojima doesn't think it's likely, I'm taking that as honest opinion, and weighing a lot of importance on this line.
The translator then says. "If Mr. Sakurai is watching this, uh, please use Snake," . . . I'm not sure about those last three words, though, the audio quality is doo doo.
It means he wants Snake to return but he's clearly not sure if Sakurai, or Konami, will have him return.

Staarih

Smash Master
That answer could go both ways really. He wouldn't say "please use Snake" if there hadn't been at least some discussion about him being in - it's as if it's up to Sakurai to add him in or not. Obviously Kojima's going to say no or "it's not likely" right now, otherwise he would spoil Snake's possible return. I will also remain pretty neutral towards this.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Kojima himself doesn't think it's likely?

Wouldn't he know about the decision regardless of what it is?

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Was Solid snake Specified in the interview? if so, then it could mean that we're getting Naked Snake instead:troll:

If Mr. Sakurai is reading this, please use Snake

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Actually.... Was Kojima directly involved with Brawl?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Game and Watches were huge. G&W and Ice Climbers are retro, not obscure. Ness & Lucas weren't obscure at the time either.

If it wasn't for ROB, the game industry as we know it probably wouldn't exist.
I'll give you the Retro bit, but I'll also mention that being Retro doesn't make them suddenly not be obscure.

Earthbound is more of a niche series than Xenoblade is, and even then it was only successful in Japan (at the time it was added to Smash). I'd put Ness and Lucas on about the same level of obscurity as Shulk. The only reason anyone knows about them at all in America is because Smash made them popular, and it is very much a niche series in Japan, much more so than Xenoblade. Xenoblade, on the other hand, had an entire campaign to get it released here - one that you'll note succeeded, unlike all the work done to get a Mother 3 translation.

ROB's important history doesn't change the fact that no one cared about him and few remembered him when Brawl came out. It doesn't make him any less obscure.

Edit: This is off-topic. We should take it to Character Discussion or PMs.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Alright I've heard enough. This isn't a rumor/leak anymore, this is now news related to Snake.

Take the rest of this discussion to the Veteran Snake thread.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
"I'm not working on the game, so I don't know, but I don't think that's likely," Kojima doesn't think it's likely, I'm taking that as honest opinion, and weighing a lot of importance on this line.
The translator then says. "If Mr. Sakurai is watching this, well, please use Snake," . . . I'm not sure about those last three words, though, the audio quality is doo doo.
After reading that, I'm now really hoping that it's an intentional mislead and Snake does return, he sounds pretty sad at the prospect that the character wouldn't be able to be playable. :(

Edit: Sorry ---, I was writing this before you posted.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

That makes me think that he just said that to dodge the question. He'd know if he wasn't on, and probably he wouldn't have any issue saying it if he wasn't.

Snake was well received on Brawl and they'd wanted to include him on Melee, so if Nintendo can get him back, I'm sure they will.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Enough with the twitter tv leak here about hideo talking about snake it's busted he did not say hes kicked

Leave it to the snake forum and the 20th will show us the answer due to metal gear solid 5 part 1 and sakurai said he doesn't care about console wars so he can confirm snake on the 20th

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'll give you the Retro bit, but I'll also mention that being Retro doesn't make them suddenly not be obscure.

Earthbound is more of a niche series than Xenoblade is, and even then it was only successful in Japan (at the time it was added to Smash). I'd put Ness and Lucas on about the same level of obscurity as Shulk. The only reason anyone knows about them at all in America is because Smash made them popular, and it is very much a niche series in Japan, much more so than Xenoblade. Xenoblade, on the other hand, had an entire campaign to get it released here - one that you'll note succeeded, unlike all the work done to get a Mother 3 translation.

ROB's important history doesn't change the fact that no one cared about him and few remembered him when Brawl came out. It doesn't make him any less obscure.

Edit: This is off-topic. We should take it to Character Discussion or PMs.
You make a good point there with Ness/Lucas. Does Xenoblade have any future games planned?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
There's X, the Monolith Soft game for the Wii U which seems to be set in the same world.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You recognize it anywhere? You're the Xenoblade expert.
Reminds me of the animation for the attack Back Slash somewhat.
That attack had Shulk preforming a small jump then slamming the Monado down, and as the name suggests it would inflict more damage if you hit an enemy in the back. However the way Shulk is jumping seems to be different from any animation I've seen in Xenoblade, and I don't recall any hacks in particular that makes him jump like that.

But I will say that the bolded lines seem a tad too bold, and I want to see a close up with the model itself to clarify if it's original or not. If it's a direct rip of his model from Xenoblade, that would be a dead giveaway.

I might need to play Xenoblade again just to be 100% sure.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Reminds me of the animation for the attack Back Slash somewhat.
That attack had Shulk preforming a small jump then slamming the Monado down, and as the name suggests it would inflict more damage if you hit an enemy in the back. However the way Shulk is jumping seems to be different from any animation I've seen in Xenoblade, and I don't recall any hacks in particular that makes him jump like that.

But I will say that the bolded lines seem a tad too bold, and I want to see a close up with the model itself to clarify if it's original or not. If it's a direct rip of his model from Xenoblade, that would be a dead giveaway.

I might need to play Xenoblade again just to be 100% sure.
We found the pic this leak is based off of.
It's fake.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314

Unless he's been asked to keep quiet about it and he's just trolling the fans a bit to get them riled up. Sakurai obviously likes to keep things secret.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'm pretty sure Snake will be in and he's just misleading us. He can't just say yes or no, so obviously he chooses to say that he doesn't know, which is preposterous to say the least. He obviously does know either he's in or not.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
About the Kojima interview.

Think about it guys, if you were a developer and you were forbidden to reveal the information of whether your character is in a game or not, how would you answer the question?

You could go with Segas: "We would love for Sonic to be in Smash 4!", which doesn't confirm or deny him.

You could go with The Pokemon Company's: "We cannot talk about our character's appearance in other games" for Mewtwo, which again doesn't confirm or deny him.

Or you could go with Kojima's: "I am not sure" which again, doesn't confirm or deny him.

These people are bound by contract and also honor (and in Kojima's case, also friendship) to not spoil the beans on the game. If Snake is in the game, Kojima cannot say it due to contacts and honor to fellow peers. If Snake is out of the game, Kojima could technically say it, but he wouldn't out of respect and friendship. So either way his response is just a generic: "I won't tell you guys, you'll just have to find out in some months by yourself."

In my opinion that interview basically means nothing. He was asked a question he couldn't answer without breaking a contract and/or dishonoring his friend, and he chose to be as vague as possible, which is the most logical way of answering.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom