• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS SSB4 3DS Character Unlock Guide

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Okay I grinded Trophy rush until I had 200 trophies then played one random game and got ROB, so it looks like that works

Aldri

Smash Cadet
It's worth remembering for the future--if you lose a match against a newcomer, you don't need to fulfill the requirements again. Just go to a solo match against a CPU in smash mode and do one battle. They'll challenge you again afterward.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Prism, i have been using "solo" mode vs cpus to unlock characters using 1 stock. I unlocked all the characters in the order you mentioned above using that method. I did unlock falco first time doing classic mode.

Last edited:

TheDiamondPiggy

Smash Rookie
I Unlocked Ness And Falco by playing my first 2 Classic Runs and Dr. Mario by beating it a third time with Mario. I unlocked Jr. By beating Classic on 7.0 with Bowser.

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
I got puff after clearing classic my 22nd time. For my girlfriend, it was the 24th. There doesn't seem to be any correlation. Maybe it's trophy based like ROB? Don't know at this point.

Edit: just saw the 30 pieces post above. That might be true.

Last edited:

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
So last night, I was doing Classic runs to try to unlock all the characters. After 5-7 or so runs, I use Link on 7.0 to try for Ganondorf. Instead I got Jigglypuff (I had played 3-4 Smash Run rounds with my brother beforehand; maybe that's why I got her?). After this, I did a run with Marth on 7.0 to try for Lucina. This time I got Duck Hunt.

After that, I decided to try out Duck Hunt in Smash. I finished a match and... Ganondorf appeared! I hadn't done nearly enough matches total to unlock him, so I realized that I had unlocked him when I did the Link run, the game just gave me Jigglypuff first. I did another match, and lo and behold, Lucina appeared.

From what I can tell, when you've done the requirements for several characters but haven't gotten all of them yet, the ones you haven't encountered yet are put into a queue, in order from first unlocked to last unlocked; after doing a Smash match or a Classic run (and probably after any other single-player mode), it gives you the unlock match for the next character in the queue. This would mean I had fulfilled the conditions for Jigglypuff and Duck Hunt before I had done so for Ganondorf, so the game gave me Jigglypuff first. When I did the Marth run, it unlocked Lucina, but because Duck Hunt and Ganondorf were unlocked before her, it gave me Duck Hunt and put Lucina at the end of the queue.

Some of the details might be off, but I know for a fact that you can fulfill the conditions for multiple characters and unlock each one after another by doing one regular match each. More testing will probably be needed to verify if the queue works as I described it.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I think it's probably the 30 pieces thing; Jigglypuff was the fifth character I unlocked, and I don't have ROB, so it can't be trophies.

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
Found this on reddit:

-link-
For Lucina there has to be an Intensity requirement, I used all 3 Fire Emblem characters at the default difficulty and ended up getting no challenge, so I got her through Vs. matches instead.

Hong

The Strongest
So last night, I was doing Classic runs to try to unlock all the characters. After 5-7 or so runs, I use Link on 7.0 to try for Ganondorf. Instead I got Jigglypuff (I had played 3-4 Smash Run rounds with my brother beforehand; maybe that's why I got her?). After this, I did a run with Marth on 7.0 to try for Lucina. This time I got Duck Hunt.

After that, I decided to try out Duck Hunt in Smash. I finished a match and... Ganondorf appeared! I hadn't done nearly enough matches total to unlock him, so I realized that I had unlocked him when I did the Link run, the game just gave me Jigglypuff first. I did another match, and lo and behold, Lucina appeared.

From what I can tell, when you've done the requirements for several characters but haven't gotten all of them yet, the ones you haven't encountered yet are put into a queue, in order from first unlocked to last unlocked; after doing a Smash match or a Classic run (and probably after any other single-player mode), it gives you the unlock match for the next character in the queue. This would mean I had fulfilled the conditions for Jigglypuff and Duck Hunt before I had done so for Ganondorf, so the game gave me Jigglypuff first. When I did the Marth run, it unlocked Lucina, but because Duck Hunt and Ganondorf were unlocked before her, it gave me Duck Hunt and put Lucina at the end of the queue.

Some of the details might be off, but I know for a fact that you can fulfill the conditions for multiple characters and unlock each one after another by doing one regular match each. More testing will probably be needed to verify if the queue works as I described it.
We already have a thread for this, so I moved your post here.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
For Lucina there has to be an Intensity requirement, I used all 3 Fire Emblem characters at the default difficulty and ended up getting no challenge, so I got her through Vs. matches instead.
There isn't. I don't even know how to change the intensity in Classic Mode, and she was like the third or fourth character I unlocked.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Did classic with Link 3 times in a row, no Ganondorf. Got 2 other characters, though. I ended up getting Ganondorf through Vs. matches.

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
There isn't. I don't even know how to change the intensity in Classic Mode, and she was like the third or fourth character I unlocked.
How odd... And confusing. :/
(Although, surely you must know how to change intensity, it requires you to confirm it before starting your run)

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
I think it's probably the 30 pieces thing; Jigglypuff was the fifth character I unlocked, and I don't have ROB, so it can't be trophies.
I tired the trophies for ROB and I got him. And I can guarantee I haven't played enough normal matches.

Dan

Smash Lord
Does the 'beat Classic Mode with a Mii' work to unlock Duck Hunt?

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I tired the trophies for ROB and I got him. And I can guarantee I haven't played enough normal matches.
Right, I'm saying Jigglypuff is not trophies. I don't have 200 trophies and don't have ROB but do have Jigglypuff.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Right, I'm saying Jigglypuff is not trophies. I don't have 200 trophies and don't have ROB but do have Jigglypuff.
Jigglypuff is claimed to be when you have 30 custom equipment pieces. That one I can't confirm, but I do have her. I know I have more than 30 custom pieces at this point.

miller483

Smash Ace
So here's what I've gathered using my own research as well as the Prima Guide (as unreliable as they are).

Ness - Complete Classic Mode
Falco - Complete Classic Mode without any continues

This explains why people always unlock Falco before Ness. Falco's condition is harder, so the game gives him higher priority when both conditions are satisfied.

Dark Pit - Complete Classic Mode 3 Times
Duck Hunt - Complete Classic Mode 8 Times
Game and Watch - Complete Classic Mode 10 Times

Dr. Mario - Complete Classic Mode on 4.0 with Mario
Ganondorf - Complete Classic Mode on 5.0 with Link or Zelda
Bowser Jr. - Complete Classic Mode on 6.0 with Bowser
Lucina - Complete Classic Mode with Marth with no continues

Wario - Complete 100 Man Smash

ROB - Collect 200 Trophies
Jigglypuff - Collect 30 pieces of equipment
I can confirm that this is entirely legit.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Yeah I'm pretty convinced my list is true at this point. I've unlocked all 12 characters exactly as listed.

The game remembers that you met the criteria even if you didn't face the fighter. For example, I cleared Classic Mode with Bowser on 6.0 for my first unlock and got Bowser Jr. Because it was my first run through Classic Mode, I also triggered Ness, and because I used no continues, I triggered Falco as well. I think this is why we were so confused about unlock requirements, as we were assuming the most recent thing we did got the character (which worked in other games). Due to this new "mechanic", when you meet the requirements for two character, pretty much anything (VS, Classic, All-Star, Multi Man and Smash Run) will get you a Challenger Approaching for the second character you've met the criteria for.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
How odd... And confusing. :/
(Although, surely you must know how to change intensity, it requires you to confirm it before starting your run)
I did not know that because I never paid attention to that screen. I just 'skipped' it by pressing 'a' not knowing that it was significant. lol

TheDiamondPiggy

Smash Rookie
You can Unlock Jiggs by playing Smash run 5 times And G+W by beating Classic with 10 DIFFERENT characters. Same with Duck Hunt, But with 8. I got R.O.B by the 70 matches, I got Lucina by Classic 5.0 Marth with no continues.

Edit: I've gotten All characters, so I think my ways should work.

Last edited:

xXShadowSmasherXx

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if this will help, but I was doing some testing, and I beat classic mode on 0.0, no continues, using Wario, and I got Jigglypuff. Does this mean Jigglypuff = Clear classic with no continues?

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
What I got so far (in order):

I played thru classic mode once as Sonic (2.0, no continues) and got Falco

Went to Smash Run (Sonic) and got Ness after 1 run

Went to 100 Man Fight (Villager) and got Wario

The one that baffles me is the way I unlocked Ness, as I haven't seen it anywhere else mentioned.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
^It's like what @ Freaky Mutant Man Freaky Mutant Man said, if you satisfy more than one unlock condition, characters go in a queue and show up after any single player mode. You satisfied Ness's requirements when you unlocked Falco, but encountered him after Smash Run because queue.

That also explains why Lucina showed up on Ike for me, because my Marth ran into Mr. Game and Watch.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I tried that and it didn't work
I think that the 30 pieces of equipment (or customization pieces) thing seems to be it. The only link I can find between my first file (Greninja in Smash Run) and second (Street Smash and then the 100 Man Brawl) seems to be that they both unlocked either custom pieces or custom moves.

Top Bottom