• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS SSB3D Disappointments Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerWazup007

Smash Cadet
Spoilers!

For me:
1. No Ice Climbers, Ivysaur or other grass-type, or Dixie Kong with some clones instead (see below)
2. Only two tracks per stage (I don't know if you always have to hold R to make the alternate music play)
3. Lucina is a direct clone of Marth; the FE has so many characters to draw from, or Lucina could've been given unique moves
4. Ganondorf still doesn't have unique specials like a white energy ball or a dark energy wave
5. No organized in-game explanation of specials that I'm aware of, although most are easy to figure out by using them (edit: you can see explanations when choosing specials)
6. I can't see some alternate outfits while selecting them and sometimes can't change them; I can rotate character models while customizing them but can't switch colors?
7. Dark Pit and Dr. Mario are really close to Pit and Mario; these should've been alternate costumes with their specials as options, or they should've been given more different movesets.
8. Alternate specials take forever to unlock.
9. You don't get anything that I'm aware of when playing online; it'd be great to unlock trophies, alternate specials, etc.

Overall I'm loving it, though.

Last edited:

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
-Ice climbers is my huge thing. We have rosetta and luma, and to a lesser extend duck hunt dog. I don't think it was 3ds limitations at all, I just think they were cut for whatever bull**** reason.
-I wouldnt mind lucas being cut, but we have dr. mario, dark pit, and lucina who are extreme clones, and Lucas was a semi clone at worst. Different tilts, smashes, ect. And PK fire was different than ness' entirely.
-No Termina Bay :(
-No Subspace 2 :(
-No Fountain of Dreams :(
-No Pokemon Statium :(
(My other wanted classics still have hope for wii u, But for reals if delfino plaza isnt back I'm...gonna cry)
It's because the Ice Climbers were a horrendously designed character that would require a total overhaul to balance properly, essentially eliminating the characters gimmick altogether, and it simply not worth it to do so because fans of their playstyle will be displeased anyway, and they're a minor and insignificant character within the Nintendo universe.

As far as disappointments, well:

- Laggy online. I played and lost 2 matches because I was dealing with about a full second of lag, causing me to do things like run into Bowser's vB that I would never do under normal circumstances.
- CPU difficulty design. They perfect shield everything. The only thing that makes them at all difficult is that they have perfect defensive timing.
- Shield drop and roll speeds are far too fast.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Besides no intro and the surprisingly less number of stages available, the game looks great to me.

Rahfal

Smash Rookie
My biggest complaint is no intro, just seems like they took a cheap cost cut there :(.

tttt

Smash Cadet
I really just want a "SUPER SMASH BROOOOOTHHHEEERRRSS"

And an intro. But mainly the screaming of the title.

FinalArcadia

Smash Cadet
NNID
FinalArcadia
- The lack of modes; adventure or events would be nice, since Smash Run is kinda meh in 1P mode.

- That entire Paper Mario stage, I hate it so much. I hate the shifts to different sections, I hate the way it is 2/3 based on Sticker Star, I hate fighting on this stage in Classic Mode ever, and most of all, I hate that they chose the S. S. Flavion of ALL THINGS to use as the TTYD section. There were FAR better choices from PM: TTYD than that... and yet that section still has more character than the generic Sticker Star portions. Quite frankly, if a Sticker Star-influenced stage was what we had to get for Paper Mario representation, I'd of rather had none at all and had a Mario & Luigi stage, especially Dream Team. It's just... the stage could've been so much more, and it's a big disappointment after FINALLY getting a Paper Mario stage... sorry, had to get that out of my system

- All-Star Mode feels really short with having so many characters bunched into groups.

- That some characters alt colors just feel lazy, yet others get really elaborate ones. Why not at least give the Daisy alt for Peach a hairstyle like Daisy's, if nothing else?

- Not a big complaint, but I wish more characters had been unlockables rather than starters. Most characters that I wanted minus Falco were already available at the start, so having more newcomers be unlockable would've been nice.

As a whole, though, I'm really enjoying the game. just that Paper Mario stage irks me to no end

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
can't turn off stages
items are on of off no way to adjust the spawn rate
two side scrolling mario stages,
no stage voting for online

Last edited:

Ryan50

Smash Cadet
1) No intro.
2) No form of Fountain of Dreams/Gourmet Race in the soundtrack....I'm not kidding, yet we have unfitting overworld music instead. Or at least I think that's overworld music
3) Roster doesn't fill the entire screen. When I saw the leak I was expecting the entire screen to be filled
4) Stage hazards can't be turned off. I want stages with platforms and the lack of Yellow Devil/Flying Man, but I don't necessarily want to turn it into FD, ya know?
5) Item frequency can't be modified...It feels too high if you ask me
6) No settings for Smash Run
7) Not enough alternate costumes (like Koopalings, alternate gender Robin/Villager/Wii Fit Trainer, etc.), mostly just recolors
8) Can't switch movement to the D-Pad, sure, I don't roughly use my Circle Pad like some people that have broke theirs, but I feel like I could play better with the D Pad than the Circle Pad...I've had times in races where my thumb slid off of the circle pad >.>

Last edited:

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
My biggest disappointment regarding character viability has to be Ganon. He is just too good compared to his Brawl variant. Please, Sakurai, if you are reading this: nerf him.

He is too damned viable. I bet he doesn't even lose to the entire cast anymore! That is just bad game design. :4jigglypuff:
Are you serious? Ganonderp viable? They even nerfed his only viable move and playstyle in Brawl!
I don't care if F-Tilt is ridiculously fast and safe now, or if B-Air is actually a viable move instead of a practical taunt, Ganondorf should never have been allowed to play like this. And just to clarify how bad he is, (Again) guess who's back to bottom tier. (At least not alone this time.)

More gripes about this game.

It's a beta for the Wii U version.
No way around it. You can't look at this game without expecting some major patches.
No intro, bad menus (At least Sakurai tried to warn us about this one) and more importantly, No good single player modes.
It's either Smash Run or short Classic mode. Seriously, does Sakurai expect us to be playing For Glory all day everyday?
I don't even know how Nintendo managed to screw up and let this game come out looking like this. This is ridiculous.

And just more stuff about characters and clones, Link needs a moveset upgrade. Let Toon Link keep playing like a buffed 64 Link, but Link needs an upgrade ASAP. No Bomb Arrows? No Skyward Strike? Come on, are you even trying?

And Metroid and DK needs more reps.
It's a shame that Retro is basically taking over the franchises (I'm cool with it though) because Nintendo forgot them.
King K. Rool (I guess it's spelled like that, never played a DK game), Dark Samus, (With Phazon Weaponry from Corruption, No clones) heck, even Rundas are good possibilities.
No Ridley though. As cool as that would be, it would be hellish to balance him.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot. No costumes for everyone. Little Mac stealing Wario's space (One wireframe's enough) and No Stage Hazard Off setting. Seriously, Boxing Ring and Wily's Castle really got the short end of the stick there.

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Smash Run feels a bit underwhelming IMO. Changes I'd like to see are:

-More customizable options (Enemy frequency, setting types of final battles, time limit, etc.)
-Online capabilities
-Being able to encounter other players in the maze (I'd really like to throw my opponent into an Orne)
-Being able to set CPU levels and switch between human, CPU, and None.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Smash Run isn't as fun of a mode as I was hoping for it to be. I don't know why Sakurai and his team chose not to allow the players to interact with one another on the map. Maybe they tried it and it didn't work? Anyway, I just don't find it to be a great competitive mode.

The single player content overall is also pretty lacking. Maybe some event matches or an Adventure Mode could have been put in there? The Adventure Mode wouldn't even have to feature cutscenes.

The lack of an option to turn off stage hazards could have also been a possibility. Most of the stages (like the Megaman one) would be absolutely fine without bosses and other stage hazards. It would also be more interesting than a bunch of FDs.

Finally, the fact that I still experience lag online.

And to people complaining about the lack of music... if you've ever made a game before, you'd know that sound files take up huge chunks of space. Brawl was only able to feature so much music because of its dual layered disk. The lack of music is simply something to be expected on a platform like the 3DS.

Last edited:

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
Most of my complaints are about the lack of options.

-No online Smash Run (my biggest gripe with the game)
-Can't play Smash Run mini games on their own (race, climb, etc)
-Can't adjust time or CPU level for Smash Run
-Some Music (Kid Icarus Boss Theme, and Temple Theme) is only used in Smash Run
-No Special Match options like metal, small, etc.
-Can't change color while customizing character's loadout (when it shows the 3D model)
-Some custom moves require you to leave the loadout menu to try them out (stupid sandbag)
-Can't turn off stage bosses (I DON'T WANNA FIGHT YELLOW DEVIL :mad:)
-Battlefield versions of Stages (Alpha?)
-To go with the game's theme of customization, custom music tacks and color palettes would have been fantastic.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
-Palutena's Default Moveset. I'm not really feeling it and it's the only one I can use Online.
-Robin is a lot slower than I expected (running speed). Not really a disappointment. I was just surprised.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I really love this game, but it's far from perfect, lol.

-No Ice Climbers, Lucas or Wolf.
-No Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 but the song is still there to taunt me.
-No Stage Builder
-Song Selection is slim for stages. There are enough songs in the game for three to play on some stages yet only two are able to (i.e. the extra Mega Man and PAC-MAN tracks.)
-Stages aren't that good. I like a lot of them but for the most part they're really gimmicky and there's not a lot of "fair" stages. I get the idea that you want to design a stage that will spice things up sometimes but when every stage has consistently interrupting hazards it just gets tiresome.
-Newcomer selection is alright, but could have been better.
-Mega Man's moveset isn't as good as it could have been.
-The credits just suck. Spamming attacks to hit credits gets ****ing boring.
-Bowser's animations look shoddy as hell.
-Alph isn't a clone.
-Takamaru didn't make it. Would have been great if he did.
-No Event Mode.
-Custom Specials aren't unique enough and/or are too extreme/polar in their properties.
-The sound effects are kind of weird to me.
-Recycled voices from Brawl.
-Luigi's FS is garbage.
-The menu design is kind of boring, being the same as Brawl's. The CSS looks kind of off too.
-No online Smash Run.

Last edited:

Naisora

Smash Apprentice
Rolls were made to be harder to punish, and for many characters unreasonably fast (like Mac)
In general, the game feels more watered down and easy.
Also, It takes forever to kill someone. I honestly don't get why they did this.

I originally didn't like the change with the ledges, but honestly thats not that bad compared to those two.

Jamarccus

Smash Rookie
I feel like I can't make combos against a lot of characters due to so much knock back within the game and not being able to punish air dodges.
No voting for maps online.
Falco is a piece of poop in my opinion in Smash 4.
1v1ing defensive players online is very difficult.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Anyone else having trouble doing dashes and smash attacks? It may just be my system.. which would suck.. but there feels like a lag in the control stick input? It's minor but it's annoying the heck out of me..or maybe my hands are too big for the 3DS..

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
The way Sakurai's handling Wolf's exclusion. Puts Star Wolf theme on Corneria, gives Fox his side B and even calls it Wolf flash.
Also possibility of more star wolf themes on Wii U and codecs ( brawl voice actor and 643d voice actor spotted in credits) Wolf better be playable via DLC or Wii U transfer.

Hartenberg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hartenberg
3DS FC
1220-8573-2488
My main complaint is with the gimmicky stages. To many scrolling, boss level stages. Omega mode is cool and all, but it does get slightly bland.

I'm hoping for some better stages in the Wii U version.

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
I don´t have many gripes with smash 4.

My biggest gripe is probably smash run. 5 minute build up, too lousy payoff? That just ain´t fun. I tried it alone one time, and I didn´t like it at all.
The only time when Smash run is fun, is when I play it with my son.

But it doesn´t really matter, because we have for glory online! But Sakurai hyped smash run extremley, and I can´t say that I wasn´t dissapointed.

But maybe smash run isn´t just for me.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
After playing the full game for the first time at a friend's house, I have to say that the stage selection really disappointed me. Most of them really felt "meh" to me.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Kind of a small thing, but the fact that Random mainly chooses the default color for every character kinda irks me.

I usually pick Random when I play and I get bored if I get the default outift every single time.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
And to people complaining about the lack of music... if you've ever made a game before, you'd know that sound files take up huge chunks of space. Brawl was only able to feature so much music because of its dual layered disk. The lack of music is simply something to be expected on a platform like the 3DS.
Why not give us an option to use songs saved in the SD card then? Fixes the problem pretty well if you ask me.

Rahfal

Smash Rookie
I have two main ones:

- Ice Climbers being cut.
- Palutena.
Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that as well. Ice Climbers being cut was a real kick in the gut in my opinion. Even though I didn't play them much, they were fun and sadly they're gone. RIP.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I feel as if the 3DS version shouldn't have been made, its limitations have changed the game.
Who knows what the dev time took away, what else was scraped during dev time due to limitations.

No ice climbers, no transformations, etc.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
I feel as if the 3DS version shouldn't have been made, its limitations have changed the game.
Who knows what the dev time took away, what else was scraped during dev time due to limitations.

I think some agreed that no transformations was a good thing since it gave Shiek and Zelda more moves. Usually players preferred one over the other anyways.

Although, Zelda had the best down-b in the game up until now so it looks like she was nerfed :(

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
I think some agreed that no transformations was a good thing since it gave Shiek and Zelda more moves. Usually players preferred one over the other anyways.

Although, Zelda had the best down-b in the game up until now so it looks like she was nerfed :(
You know a character is bad when their best move is turning into a different character XD

Bittersweet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
eskay64
3DS FC
2449-5765-1828
Gaur Plain. GAUR PLAIN. Sakurai, why is Gaur Plain so horribly designed? Why did you disgrace the source material with that horrid stage design? Why?

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
  • Underwhelming stage selection, where most feature too many hazards
  • Inability to change item frequency
  • You can't 2v2 with one friend and two online randos
  • Dark Pit

dmcAxle

Smash Rookie
Largest disappointment for me is how long it takes to get custom moves even with tactics to make sure you get the red wrenches. Damn badges and mii items in the way.

Ryan50

Smash Cadet

Okay, I can understand ice climbers, and while transformations were indeed part of hardware limitations, I like them being separate more, and I don't see it as a flaw of any kind. Most people that played as Sheik didn't even use Zelda anyways, and vice versa

Last edited:

RogerWazup007

Smash Cadet
I'll add that unlocking alternate specials is frustrating tedious considering it's random, the wheel is so fast that people are going to the home screen to land on them, and you can lose them if you die in Classic. I wish they were instead unlocked by getting KOs or something.

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
I'm mostly happy with the game, especially considering hardware limitations. The only thing that disappointed me was the inability to make the D-pad do smash attacks. I know it sounds pointless, but I often have a rough time getting a Smash to come out instead of a Tilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom