• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB for DS? Or for the Next Nintendo Portable

lordunicorn3

Smash Journeyman
controls would be iffy. Nintendo has no doubtedly thought of this of course.

touch screen implementation would just be hard to do right
it is possible to do the controls right, look at jump ultimate starts and jump super stars...

Fatalized

Smash Apprentice
If marth was not in this game i wouldn't even buy it...lol...i almost didnt buy brawl when my friend told me they took out Marth n Roy. N then i found out they were...dam liars

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
If marth was not in this game i wouldn't even buy it...lol...i almost didnt buy brawl when my friend told me they took out Marth n Roy. N then i found out they were...dam liars
Hardly a reason not to buy the game is it?

It would still be awesome without Marth in.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
just so long as they get the license to sonic again and they could just use 2-d sprites on 3-d stages

boshi2161

Smash Rookie
Stop being so negative guys. It could't hurt for nintendo to try. Sure it may not work, but it could be a sucess. I really hope nintendo gives this a shot.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Before i say anyhing...I need to know if this is the correct place to put this thread and if there is a thread already. Is there? Plz let me know so i dont make any mistakes...

Anyways...

How awesome would it be if we had a SSB for DS? Play online while chillin on your bed. Take it anywhere with you and just smash it up. In the bathroom, to work, during class (dont do that kids :)). There would be at least 30 characters. The touch screen could be used for quick smashes. As if it were a Cstick. 4 specials. Brand new items like a Bubble which traps them in. Or a sword which swings by itself. And items like the Fire flower, you would have to blow into the Mic. And online u can talk with each other during battle. Using a headset or the Mic. Also custom taunts. Like recording your own voice through the Mic. The loss of no Control Stick would be a huge problem for tactics. Such as Tilts and Smashes. Thats where the Touch screen comes in. Brand New stages where u have to say stuff into the Mic or Use the Touch screen. Like Brawl's WarioInc stage. Where u must taunt and stuff like that. Oh and speaking of taunt. To taunt there would just be a little taunt button that u touch on the Touch screen. I think this would be awesome.

This game would be called Super Smash Bros. Ds or Super Smash Bros. Redemption

Or this could be for the next Nintendo Portable. One having an Analog and Disc required to play games. Just like PSP. One day....
How about "Super Smash Bros. Casual"?
Honestly, y'all are probably on target on the likelihood of a DS Smash, but i wouldn't want to play it. The implementations and uses of the stylus are almost certainly bound to decrease precise control over the game.

I hope it doesn't happen.
My hope is that Nintendo devotes their entire company to Smash. Then works on it for 15 years. Then they design a new console that could run the game they just coded (and barely anything else). Then they sell it with Xbox-quality online capabilities. As for the rest of the console's games, they would all be played controlling the actually Smash Bros characters from the central game of the console. And the actual Smash Bros characters would have so much depth it would actually be cool, so cool that you want to play the games featuring all the characters of the 65 man roster.

clockwerk

Smash Cadet
I think the control scheme might work. If they do put in stylus actions though, they should keep them at a minimum. Nintendo will probably try it on the DS, then get some complaints from fans, and then work on a better version for their next portable.

I personally think that just "Smash Bros. Riot" would be a good name for a portable smash, you know, save the "super" part for the consoles.

Amarkov

Smash Apprentice
They might be able to make it work with the buttons. It has almost all the buttons from a Gamecube controller, excluding the c-stick and Z. No technique actually requires the c-stick, and it's not that big of a deal to lose a shoulder button.

Of course, if they wanted to completely screw it up they would require you to use the stylus. Quickly drawing a line produces a smash attack!

themastaofbrawl64

Smash Cadet
I never thought the legend of zelda would be any good on the ds, but it was, so i would be willing to give it a try.

It might be a little short though, w/o a lot of quality characters and graphics so that would mean that nintendo is going to have to make a new handheld just for it, yeah that would work!

jk guys on the handheld part:laugh:

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
The only way I see Smash going to a handheld would be with a next gen one. With a screen and graphics comparible to PSP and analog. On the DS,it would be Brawl,with just better than 64 graphics and too zoomed out and pixelated to see(don't know what I mean? Go to paint in mario kart ds and select camera and zoom out all the way. That is how smash would look on DS) Playing it would be like playing with the wiimote by itself.

If it's going to happen,it'll be on the next one. Being able to really talk while playing would be awsome tho.

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
ok 1st, considering an R4DS can hold well over 50 games on it, i see no reason that size would be the issue, SSB64 was 16 MB, and FFIII and FFXII are 128 MB. So as far as i can tell, you could have a graphics update and 8 new character and a few stages for any SSB64DS they made, quiet easily, assuming they were willing to take the time.

as for the controls, SMB64DS doesn't have any problem handling with out using the touch screen, it has 6 buttons and a D pad, the touch screen could be used for camera work too.

i've never found a Dpad any harder to use the a Dstick (on the thumbs at least).
dpad for moveing, a/b for attack/special, l/r for shield.
thats all your buttons, you could have X as a smash button (just like attack, but wont jab, and will smash instead of tilt) or have it SHOW THEM YOUR MOVES.
or better yet, have the smash button as X, jump as Y, and touch screen as taunt
quite enough buttons for controls to not matter, games did quite fine with dpads instead of joysticks for many years.

as for screen size, if it shows to be a serious problem, you could do something a bit like when you are close to the edge, and have the close up bubble, and focus on the other 2-3 people if one is on the other side of the stage, or in 2 player match, go split screen when they are too far apart and zoom in closer.
i guess it could be a bit of a problem, but not too much of one.

Top Bottom