• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB.64 Community perpective of Super Smash Bros Wii U - E3 2014 Invitational Tournament

\\Killer//

Smash Journeyman
I know there is mix feelings of SSB4 from you guys; Some will give it a chance while other simply think its Brawl 2.0 and won't touch it. But now that there is actual tournament gameplay, I want to know how you guys truly feel. Indeed there are about 3 thread created already if you wish to count the home page. But I want to know how the 64 community alone feels about it....

For those that didn't watch the tournament here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTqaAs86xmU

0:00 Quarter Finals Match #1
5:51 Quarter Finals Match #2
11:04 Quarter Finals Match #3
16:54 Quarter Finals Match #4
23:10 Fan Vote Match #1
29:18 Fan Vote Match #2
35:06 Semi Finals Match #1
41:19 Semi Finals Match #2
47:19 Fan Vote Match #3
51:38 MEGA MAN HYYYYYYPE!!!
53:30 Fan Vote Match #4
59:05 Finals
1:05:44 Grand Finals

Last edited:

Pluid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pluiid
3DS FC
1435-4675-5379
I feel like it's as if Smash 64 and Brawl had a baby. I think it'll be at least better than Brawl, but not as good as 64. Either way I'm excited for it, and anyone bashing it should just stop until they play it.

Ceasar

Banned via Warnings
I don't have anything to say at the moment, since the game is incomplete. I'll reserve my judgments of the game after its release.

tehz

Smash Apprentice
I'll enjoy playing the game for a couple weeks, and then it can start collecting dust. It's pretty, and I'm sure they'll be lots of dumb things to unlock. But, it looks like it has no depth. Fireblaster is 100% right. You can't even dash-dance! The scene will probably die quicker than Brawl, unless Nintendo really pushes Smash 4 tournaments to keep people interested.

I don't know why people are comparing Smash 4 to 64, though. They aren't similar at all. Hell, 64 looks way more technical with way more options than this poor game. More evidence that people have no idea what's happening in 64.

Did anyone else think that attacks seem to kill really early? Like, once people got around 100%, moves just sent people flying. Maybe I'm just projecting from Kirby's up-throw KOs. I'll have to rewatch the matches some time.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
sakurai didn't even as much as glanced at the invited players

Last edited:

Annex

Smash Ace
+ portable
+ online w/rankings
+ city trial
+ no ledgehogging
+ movepools
- no wave dashing or dash dancing
- looks like it'll have mechanics strongly deterring combos
- why aren't there combos
- that's the best part of smash
- what the ****

Sedda

Smash Champion
Don't care about wavedashing, but multiple airdodges per jump sucks. As I said before, they somehow ****ed with dashing lol. They added ending lag to pretty much everything you do.

I don't get it. This game is going to be more defensive than Brawl. I'll still buy it to play with my casual friends on 3DS, but man this is going to suck for tournaments, and the sad part is that people WILL play it in tourneys.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
sakurai didn't even as much as glanced at the invited players
The bane of his existence standing within FEET of him. Disgusting. He probably wanted to hop on a plane and go back to Japan ASAP to get away from the filthy non-casual players.

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
if any of my friends get a wii u ill definitely play. it will probably be pretty fun and good for some laughs. but as a competitive game just lol.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I think it's too early to write it off completely, and I'll try it out, but my expectations are not high.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
SK... the game has less movement options than Brawl. How do you **** that up? To make a competitively worse game than Brawl? I'm just upset over all. I'm not going to mindlessly bash Smash 4 and its players like how people do to Brawl, but it won't be a game I will be playing competitively. I won't even bother with it.

Sakurai won't change his mind. He has an ideal target audience for the game already. Today, during the Treehouse stream, they were playing more Smash 4. When one of the guys pointed out that if you are holding on to the ledge, you will be bumped off if another character grabs it. This is what people had to say:

Sinoj9611: yes no more cheap ledge grab kills
Killamox18: Thank god no more edge hogging
Syrupcereal: finally, no ledge griefers
Chompcow: YES NO EDGE GUARDING! i was sick of that
Pendalink: edgegame goes up, cheap guarding down

These are the people Sakurai is developing the game for. Oh well.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
In the context of BRAWL onlly, the new edge mechanic is good. It keeps people from camping the ledge too hard, especially with MK and such, but aside from that.... WTF

It's such a big part of the game that I don't even... God forbid you're good at edgeguarding.

Why is it so bad to have a fast paced game? The guy knows exactly what he's doing, too. That's what pisses me off the most.

edit- has anybody tried it out at best buy though?

Last edited:

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Considering Brawl sold the best it does not surprise me at all that it is basically Brawl 2.0. I agree it will be horrible to play competitively but that was obviously intentional. Most casual gamers just want to have a game where Mario can beat up Sonic or Pacman can fight Megaman.

I will definitely buy it and see how it goes. I think it depends on how some characters play. Gameplay mechanics might not be the best but watching the expo faster characters like Fox looked alright.

I agree with 1der, it will take people approximately 1 day before they starting modding SSB4 to be more like melee.

Last edited:

Annex

Smash Ace
Sinoj9611: yes no more cheap ledge grab kills
Killamox18: Thank god no more edge hogging
Syrupcereal: finally, no ledge griefers
Chompcow: YES NO EDGE GUARDING! i was sick of that
Pendalink: edgegame goes up, cheap guarding down
But ledgehogging WAS bull**** though...
Edgeguarding is great, and Sakurai adding the new ledge mechanics should force players to AGGRESSIVELY challenge recoveries instead of passively doing it. I think some of those people got their terms mixed up, unless they actually meant you should just wait for people to recover, in which case you should just ignore them.

There's no doubt Sakurai is making the game for the casual audience but that new mechanic is a great change for everybody.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
The edgehogs being taken away is good, that would be awesome in melee; but ledge invincibility would have to go away as soon as you leave the ledge as well. **** ccs

The Star King

Smash Hero
SK... the game has less movement options than Brawl. How do you **** that up? To make a competitively worse game than Brawl? I'm just upset over all. I'm not going to mindlessly bash Smash 4 and its players like how people do to Brawl, but it won't be a game I will be playing competitively. I won't even bother with it.
First of all, the game isn't finalized and may be changed.

Second of all, other movement that exist in the game may remain undiscovered - we've only had several few hours with our hands on the game, of course not everything has been discovered.

Third, and most importantly, movement options are not the end all be all to a good game. Doesn't Brawl have more movement options than 64? Or at least a comparable amount? Yet to me it's a worse game.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really expect this game to be good either. I don't see how I can be criticized for reserving some judgement though. The game isn't even out yet lmao, you can't conclude everything from just watching a few hours of literally the first time the game has ever been touched by our community

tehz

Smash Apprentice
The number of Brawl and 64 movement options might be similar, but 64 has way less defensive options. No absurd shields (looks like these are back!), no air dodges, no no hitsun after 13 frames blah blah blah etc

Still gonna buy it day one though. Hopefully no one's trying to play it like a year after release.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
you can't conclude everything from just watching a few hours
m2k did a pretty good job at predicting brawl would suck before the game was actually released by playing just a few hours

The Star King

Smash Hero
no? didn't m2k say the game sucked after it was released in Japan (February 2009)? I don't think he was at the E4All demo. if this is just something I don't know about, do you have a link?

not really the point anyway. just because he predicted correctly doesn't mean one will be necessarily right every time.

Sedda

Smash Champion
hey cobr, are you gonna play samus in smash 4? I heard Sakurai thinks she's OP :awesome:

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
hey cobr, are you gonna play samus in smash 4? I heard Sakurai thinks she's OP :awesome:
lol, that was so random... "so uh... we tested with our pro team... samus is the best character"
hugs: "i played samus for all my life, also there's a reason no one else chose her"

just because he predicted correctly doesn't mean one will be necessarily right every time.
yes, because that's what i'm defending here

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Smash 4 Will be great for competition.

There, now there are 2 predictions so that when the next game comes out you guys can look here and say, "Oh so and so predicted the game would be X for competition within a few hours so"

mixa

Banned via Warnings
we're on the internet, nothing is your line except maybe saying 'maybe'

Be sure to learn how to use walking to your advantage in this game. Dashing is too much of a commitment and you have less options out of it.
this is hilarious

Sedda

Smash Champion
walk dancing.

apparently you can do pivot tilts easily. im gonna own my scrub friends with whoever has the most broken tilts

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
First of all, the game isn't finalized and may be changed.

Second of all, other movement that exist in the game may remain undiscovered - we've only had several few hours with our hands on the game, of course not everything has been discovered.
Pretty much the same exact defense was used for brawl

Third, and most importantly, movement options are not the end all be all to a good game. Doesn't Brawl have more movement options than 64? Or at least a comparable amount? Yet to me it's a worse game.
Brawl - airdodge, spot dodge, ledgejump, DACUS, B sticking
64 - Shield during any stance/walk/dash/run, no lag on ledgegrab, no tripping, no ledge slipping, Lcancelling, double jump cancelling, dash dancing,

I'd say 64 wins in the more movement options department.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really expect this game to be good either. I don't see how I can be criticized for reserving some judgement though. The game isn't even out yet lmao, you can't conclude everything from just watching a few hours of literally the first time the game has ever been touched by our community
I swear I heard this argument for a very specific game back in 2008

Last edited:
Top Bottom