• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard... what are your secrets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawriel

Smash Master
This thread shouldn't be locked.
We already have a thread about the trainer. However, this is practically FOUR characters in one, and the trainer himself doesn't actually do anything.
This is an amazingly complex "character".
So I think the Red thread should remain to be about general discussion concerning the character as a whole and the trainer, and how awesome it all is.

This thread is dedicated to the three different Pokemon.

General:

Switching:
Down Special Move: Pokémon change

Good job, Ivysaur! Come back!

The returning Pokémon tags the next Pokémon.

Charizard! I choose you!

They swap out in a set order: Squirtle→Ivysaur→Charizard.

-It seems that switching will take some time. This poses a potential danger to the Pokemon as the opponent can just anticipate the entry of the following Pokemon, charging up a Smash or something like it.
-You can't directly choose which of the two other Pokemon you want to switch to.
-It will probably be impossible to just switch out your Pokemon to protect it from a combo or from falling off the edge.

-It will be interesting to see how Sakurai will balance this, as switching is, unlike with Zelda/Sheik, a necessity:

Stamina:

"They all share the same damage meter, so they don’t recover from damage during Pokémon Change. But they also have another stat, which you might call stamina.

If you keep fighting with the same Pokémon, or if you change them out too often, it’s not so good for the Pokémon.

If you want to be a good Pokémon Trainer, you’ll need to learn these kinds of ins and outs."

The endearing last line aside, this makes it clear that you can't just treat this trio as one fighter and two trashy asides. You will have to use them all. Skipping through Pokemon to get back to your favourite again seems to be a no-no as well.

So how will Stamina work?
Apparently, after staying out for a certain time, or maybe after receiving a certain amount of damage, a Pokemon will start being exhausted. This might be shown by a signal somewhere that it's becoming exhausted, or it just shows in the behaviour of the Pokemon while standing still.
What will it do?
My guess is that the longer you keep an exhausted Pokemon in the battlefield, the more often it will happen that it becomes unresponsive for a second as it catches its breath.
Other possibilities are reduction of stats, which I don't see as ideal for some reason.

The different fighters:

Now this is where it gets interesting.
You have three starters from all three evolutionary phases.
If you went by the game, this would mean that Squirtle ain't got NOTHING on Charizard, who is completely evolved.
That is, unless their levels are radically different.
My guess is that it will be more like in the anime, where being evolved or not just kinda doesn't seem to be as important.
Chances are that all three Pokemon are, disregarding what will happen on the tournament level, balanced.

So what will their different strengths be? Squirtle's strength would usually be defense, but he's obviously lighter than Charizard, right?
Sakurai will have to be creative.
Here's my theories.

Squirtle:

Squirtle will be the balanced one. A combo artist.
He's shown next to Mario, which seems like a good comparison.

Look at the little guy's build.
He's compact and has short limbs. He also has a shell, which he's been known to withdraw into like a certain other turtley guy we know.
I believe that Squirtle's short limbs will allow him to strike with very quick attacks with medium strength, although it probably means he has a rather short reach.

Since Pokemon have rather little to work with in the games, the anime will probably be consulted as well. But it doesn't take an anime, I think, to realize that Squirtle seems rather bouncy. I think he will have decent aerial mobility and a very quick and overall good aerial game for edgeguarding and the like.

So all in all, I see Squirtle as the solid good-for-all Mario-type character who can combo well but usually relies on edgeguarding. He's also bound to have at least one projectile.

Here's some potential B moves for him:

^B: Rapid Spin
Self-explanatory. More vertical than Bowser's, light sideways knockback and a single hit only.

B: Bubble
A weak multi-hit thing somewhat like the Icies Blizzard or maybe Bowser's firebreath, but with somewhat different qualities overall.

>B: Water Gun
A projectile. Being water, this attack should deal little damage, but good knockback.

POTENTIAL FINAL SMASH: Hydro Pump
We don't know whether each of these guys has an own FS, but it's a possibility.
Judging by the anime, Squirtle's Hydro Pump consists of him withdrawing into his shell and spinning while spewing water REALLY hard.

Ivysaur:

Ivysaur will be a unique one. A trickster with great range, some random strong attacks and projectiles. Like Samus or Link!

He's seen running in the screenshot. Note how this is a quadruped being. In terms of mobility, I expect him to have a relatively fast dash on the ground, but to be a lousy jumper. No aerial combat for this one.

However, everyone who plays the games or knows the anime knows what sorts of tricks grass-type Pokemon have.
Bulbasaur, Ivysaur's pre-evolution, is known for Vine Whip, a whip attack with very long range, Razor Leaf, a leaf projectile with great critical hit rate and Solar Beam, a powerful move that requires charging up.
All these are bound to appear in the moveset, and I expect Vine Whip to be quite integral to the moveset as a whole. Thus my prediction that Ivysaur will be known for Marth-like range, albeit with far less power.
And can you say "extended grab"?

So all in all, Ivysaur is apt to be a fighter with a lot of tricks up his sleeve. With grass-type Pokemon, the possibilities are endless. Vine Whips for tilts. Status-affecting specials. Projectiles. And so on.

Possible B-moves:

^B: Sleep Powder
Like Jiggly
who shall be axed!!!!!!11111
, Ivysaur will attempt to put his foes to sleep by spewing sleep powder out of his bud. This is slower than Jiggly's Sing, but has greater range.
Instead of using this to recovery, Ivysaur will use his extended Vine Whip grab to grab the edge by using Z in the air, like Link and Samus.

>B: Razor Leaf
A relatively powerful projectile with a somewhat irregular movement pattern. Also gives him a tiny bit more distance if used in the air, to aid recovery.

B: Leech Seed
Ivysaur will shoot out small seeds at random angles. If an enemy is hit by these, the seeds will pop open and grow into vines that quickly grow across the victim until they disappear soon afterwards. The victim will have 1% of damage dealt at the most three times over a period of about 5 seconds, each time with light stun time that allows Ivysaur to move in for an attack and to interrupt their combos.
Seeds that fall on the ground will still spread and make the ground harder to walk on for a moment.

POTENTIAL FINAL SMASH: Solar Beam
Ivysaur collects sunlight in his bud for moment.
When he's done, the energy shoots out again skywards, then, after a short moment of silence, several beams shoot randomly all over the stage.

Charizard:

What's left to say, Charizard will be the powerhouse in this trio.

Despite being very fast in the games, chances are this will not be the case here.
As seen in the screenshot, Charizard moves on his hind legs on the ground. Since he's not likely to suddenly start sliding, this will make him very immobile on the ground and consequently even slower than Bowser.
However, being a flying dragon, his aerial movement speed might make up for this.
Still, his movements will probably be clumsy and slow, which he'll have to make up for with some brute strength, range and his fiery breath.
And smooth looks. Oooh yeah.

^B: Fly
True to the HM, Charizard will fly upwards into the sky a great distancy... however, this doesn't help his recovery as much as it may seem, as he can't grab the edge while going up.
He slants backwards, then does a looping at the apex of his flight, to strike back down at a great speed. As he comes close to the point where he left off, he starts flying horizontally for a relatively long distance. The energy used in this change of direction after the momentum of the downward dash deals some heavy damage and knockback to anyone stupid enough to not make way for the dragon.
It's a mediocre move for recovery, but being so heavy and fast in the air with several jumps already, that's all he needs.

>B: Flamethrower
Good old flamethrower. Nice for edgeguarding. Unlike Bowsers, Charizard's can be used in the air a little longer if you use his momentum right, which lets you play fighter jet. \o_

B: Heat Wave
Charizard stands in place, stomps on the floor and growls, then makes a wave of heat surround him. Takes a bit to perform, but deals some really nice damage ( not a lot of knockback, though ).

FINAL SMASH AND STUFF: Blast Burn
Charizard is the only one of the three who can actually use his superduper attack.
I don't actually know what it does.
My guess would be that he creates a massive pillar of fire around himself that deals quite awesome damage AND knockback, for the trade-off of being harder to hit with than the other two.

Aaaand... that is all. Whew.
What do you guys think?
...and please don't lock it? =/

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
No, this thread should be locked. Red is the playable character. Talk about this in the Red thread.

Attention isn't that important online.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
You don't select the pokemon at the character selection screen, you select Trainer. Should I make a thread for pit's arrow since I have the ability to control it?

The trio are basically just "attacks" that Red uses.

Fawriel

Smash Master
There is a forum for Zelda.
There is also a forum for Sheik.

This is no different. It's a character with at least two parts: The trainer and the Pokemon. And the trainer really is secondary since he doesn't actually DO anything.

This thread may be locked, but I doubt that any good discussion about the ACTUAL fighters will be able to get started in the Red thread.

I'm not going to bother arguing with you any further.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
If Ivysaur wouldn't have a workable recovery. Then he should at least be floaty and have good jumps. Even though Link and Samus had aerial grabs that could be used for recovery. I'm pretty sure a lot of people didn't use them nearly as much as the real recovery moves.

And the one character I can remember who didn't have a workable recovery was Yoshi, and they made up with it by giving him an extremely floaty second jump.

Fawriel

Smash Master
If Ivysaur wouldn't have a workable recovery. Then he should at least be floaty and have good jumps. Even though Link and Samus had aerial grabs that could be used for recovery. I'm pretty sure a lot of people didn't use them nearly as much as the real recovery moves.

And the one character I can remember who didn't have a workable recovery was Yoshi, and they made up with it by giving him an extremely floaty second jump.
Well... yeah, point taken. I was doubtful about that recovery, but it was the most fitting thing I saw in Ivysaur's potential movesets from the games, besides some boring "headbutt" type thing, which has been done.
There are characters who have strange recoveries that aren't so obvious at the start, but... yeah, he should have something, I guess.
What do you suggest?
Good thread Fawriel! (I checked your gallery by the way, nice)
Thanks. But... what gallery?*blink*

Jiggly will NEVER be axed! NEVER!
La la la, I can't hear you! *covers ears*

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Well... yeah, point taken. I was doubtful about that recovery, but it was the most fitting thing I saw in Ivysaur's potential movesets from the games, besides some boring "headbutt" type thing, which has been done.
There are characters who have strange recoveries that aren't so obvious at the start, but... yeah, he should have something, I guess.
What do you suggest?
Where I suggest is a little harder... Also, for Squirtle, I would give him the newish attack Aqua Jet for his recovery move. Just cause... Y'know, I'm a nerd and all. I don't even really know if Squirtle can learn Aqua Jet, but oh well. It just sounds like a recovery move.

Anyway, for Ivysaur. What if he used Stun Spore, and like, shot spores and stuff out of his bud and stuff. And then he like, got all light and stuff, from all the spores, and like, went up, cause he was so light. And junk. Cause of like, all the stuff like that. Oh ya.

Edit: I also just looked it up and Squirtle can learn Aqua Jet in D/P. But only as an egg move. I've always been way to lazy to breed.

Fawriel

Smash Master
...and stuff. o_o

I had a similar-ish idea about Ivysaur using Synthesis in order to make himself shine and... uh... float for some reason.
But something tells me our ideas are a bit far-fetched.

Aqua Jet is interesting, he could aim it downwards in the air to give himself some distance. But how would you differentiate Water Gun and Aqua Jet?

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
...and stuff. o_o

I had a similar-ish idea about Ivysaur using Synthesis in order to make himself shine and... uh... float for some reason.
But something tells me our ideas are a bit far-fetched.

Aqua Jet is interesting, he could aim it downwards in the air to give himself some distance. But how would you differentiate Water Gun and Aqua Jet?
Haha, I agree, my idea doesn't make sense. Ivysaur flies on a cloud of spores! Yaaa. Speaking of far-fetched. Farfetch'd should totally be playable. because he's so cool.

Also... Aqua Jet is different from Water Gun because... hmm... He makes a sound like a jet ski when he does it.

Shrug. If it's any help, Aqua Jet is basically the Water equivalent of Quick Attack. So it could work like Pikachu's recovery (which I'm pretty sure is supposed to be Quick Attack, right?), only leave a trail of damaging water behind it.

NeoSoul

Smash Journeyman
awesome well thought out move list....

what I had in mind is that they change the "switch" move to the taunt button and have VB moves for them.... ⌐_⌐

Fawriel

Smash Master
Also... Aqua Jet is different from Water Gun because... hmm... He makes a sound like a jet ski when he does it.
Ahaha. Awesome.

Hmm, I think I got an idea.

Water Jet works kind of like Sheik's needles. While on the ground, Squirtle can charge it up or shoot it out immediately. It goes very fast and has pretty much the same effect as the needles in terms of damage and knockback.
If it's used in the air, he will immediately release the full charge and aim the attack down, which lets you direct his flight for the duration of the attack.

Water Gun, on the other hand, is also a bit like Bowser's firebreath, but it has completely different attributes and can be directed up or down. It barely does damage, but pushes the opponent away. Only usable for edgeguarding. Essentially a bit similar to Mario's cape, I guess.

I should change the Bubble move. Ideas?

EDIT: Numa Dude... isn't that material for a throw, rather?

RoadsArePoison

Smash Cadet
I don't think that Jigglypuff (or even Mewtwo) is necessarily out of Smash bros simply because of this, although it does open up more room for less pokemon characters or more new-generation pokemon.
I like how it kind of gives Pikachu and any other playable pokemon a kind of "wild pokemon" feel as opposed to ones that have been captured and have a trainer.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
The three Pokemon could really work well together, or fall apart in competetive play. They could do well and be a really good team if at the very least two are good, but if only one is, then there will be a problem. Because the stamina makes the Pokemon weaker in some way, that means you will have to change them every once in awhile. Thus, if only one is good, you'll have to switch to something bad, but if two are good, you can switch it to the better one. (I think it would be three quick switches that will tire out a Pokemon, instead of two)

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
I should change the Bubble move. Ideas?

EDIT: Numa Dude... isn't that material for a throw, rather?
Bubblebeam! Yo yo yo yo yoz. Actually. Withdraw, or something like that. Like Squirtle just retreats into his shell for a moment and can reflect projectiles away from him.

Also, the animation and description of Seismic Toss seems to indicate that it goes up and then down, meaning the Pokemon would go into the air while doing it, and that could make it like Captain Falcon's up B. Like they move up and grab anybody in the way and throw 'em and junk.

LeadPenguin

Smash Cadet
LET ME SHOW YOU MY POKEMANS

MY POKEMANS

(Let me show you them)

~~~

While it would be cool if they all had their own Final Smash, I have a feeling that the trainer's got one of them Legendary Pokemans in his backpack...

edgeswipe21

Smash Journeyman
i think charizard should have dragon rage which could be charged up as in anime, the flame should become bigger as it charges or is fully charged....i dunno something about his tail looks very intriguing and most likely have a purpose for the fire on it. maybe like roy, fire damage?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
This thread shouldn't be locked.
We already have a thread about the trainer. However, this is practically FOUR characters in one, and the trainer himself doesn't actually do anything.
Well, GEE, I wonder what people are talking about in that topic then?:ohwell:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom