• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

/Lucina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Katsie
More respect for Mewtwo is a good thing. Better than being laughed at.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I cant believe that you haven't already been maining Mewtwo! The tail is like, half his moveset! Dat DThrow tailspank... :p

I feel conflicted though... suddenly Mewtwo is realised to be viable (Yay!) but now I wont be underestimated when I play, and there will be tons of ditto matches. Last night I had to wipe the floor with 3 different dittos - it was fun enough, but I could see them... learning my secrets...
I think you overestimate For Glory players and their ability to learn. :p

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
I think you overestimate For Glory players and their ability to learn. :p
Perhaps since I am a FG player who has the ability to learn, I assume that all are like me! :p

But seriously, 2 of the 3 dittos last night definitely appeared to be learning. The first match in these cases was an XXX smackdown, but in the second game they were trying clumsy phasing FAir and Confusion mixups after seeing me use them. It was so cute watching them make their first horizontal teleport right into my waiting tail! By the time they were done though, they were realising the combo starting potential of DTilt, and one of them even SH NAir'd me OoS like a pro.

I had mixed emotions. I feel like I have a hot girlfriend and I want everyone to know how hot she is (and how cool I am by implication), but I want to keep her hotness all to myself.

At least I can still say that I mained Mewtwo before he got trendy.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately, that low weight is still quite a disappointment.
Heh... Maybe that will be what ultimately keeps the scrubs away. Personally I really enjoy the challenge inherent in avoiding damage (which is the only real strategy I have for compensating for low weight) even with floatiness and a massive hurtbox.

EDIT: and with that, I became a "Smash Apprentice" 10 years after I joined this site!

Last edited:

FlameEmperor

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlameEmperor
More respect for Mewtwo is a good thing. Better than being laughed at.
Unfortunately, that low weight is still quite a disappointment.
As long as we are practicing and putting people down on a regular basis who needs respect when you can have success.

At the end of the day things like weight,frame data, hurt boxes,tier lists..ect mean nothing compared to the stock count.

Str8 up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Am I the only one who believes that Mewtwo can make top 32 at a national?

TailLover

Smash Apprentice
I cant believe that you haven't already been maining Mewtwo! The tail is like, half his moveset! Dat DThrow tailspank... :p

I feel conflicted though... suddenly Mewtwo is realised to be viable (Yay!) but now I wont be underestimated when I play, and there will be tons of ditto matches. Last night I had to wipe the floor with 3 different dittos - it was fun enough, but I could see them... learning my secrets...
I didn't want to choose a bad character just because I have a tail fetish, but now he's not bad so more power to me I guess heh.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one who believes that Mewtwo can make top 32 at a national?
No, but beating proficient rushdown-combo players is very hard. We don't have any combo breaking tools other than AD, so actually getting to that level in among all the shieks and diddys will be tough.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I often see people mention playing on FG, here and elsewhere and I often question if it was a wise decision for me to never go back to that mode. I can't stand the lag, the awful stage list, the community and the lack of rank mattering. You can get as many wins as you want and you could still end up fighting someone who doesn't even know how to recover.

As much as I like to believe I'm at least somewhat competent at this game, odds are I'm probably one of the worst players in every corner of Smashboards I hang out in. Like, is consistent FG experience better than inconsistent (ie. once a month at best) in person experience? The lag and stage list are the big ones for me. I can laugh and scoff at the unnecessary insults thrown at me through text from a total stranger and I can accept fighting those less skilled than myself but missing an input because of lag (made ever worse by my constant use of Cloud who's up special is absolutely destroyed by lag) and having to fight spammy Mega Man's and Villager's and the like with no platforms turns me away from the mode :/.

On the other hand, my cousin and I go on FF dubs a lot which has some stages that aren't competitive and it has items but we prefer it mostly due to stages.

---

More on topic, I don't really care for the Pokken look. Charizard, I can agree, looks off but the others are just meh. None of them wow me nor do they make me wanna tear my eyes out. They're just there.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
I only play FG, since I live in a tiny village and my friends are all PS4 players who live miles away. The lag is frustrating, and is probably counterproductive for learning competitive play, since it interrupts good muscle memory coding. However, I don't often get lag that completely ruins the fun for me, and whenever I do, I just SD and move on.

Its better than playing the computer, but nowhere near as good as playing in person.

For the insults, I have a goto profile name "LOLWHATEVR", and also the back button.

EDIT: I should be moving house in a month, and will be within walking distance from my buddies (who I used to play Melee with) so hopefully I can cut down on FG.

Last edited:

FlameEmperor

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlameEmperor
Do not play For Glory if your looking for serious practice.

Like in every anime the best practice is fighting against someone better than you in person over and over and over again none stop. If you can't find someone to play with in person your next best option is a friend or group of friends in a Wi-Fi room playing none stop on rotate. If you have no friends you got an entire forum of sweaty fiends to fight. FG is an absolute joke and should not be taken seriously

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
The way they worded it makes it sound like Sun and Moon might have all regions.

That RBY Pokemon Bank compatibility, though!

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
There is no way they are adding every region.
Never say never, bro.

Which asks the question, "How is that going to work?" The first two generations never had natures, and the training system was different as well.
Dunno, maybe Bank or S&M (lol) will assign them one when they're moved up? I don't k now how IVs/EVs will work either, but one of the things I was on the fence about downloading RBY was that I wouldn't be able to transfer my Pokemon to future games, and they'd be stuck forever in monochrome. With that out of the way, I can download Yellow tomorrow with glee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Never say never, bro.

Dunno, maybe Bank or S&M (lol) will assign them one when they're moved up? I don't k now how IVs/EVs will work either, but one of the things I was on the fence about downloading RBY was that I wouldn't be able to transfer my Pokemon to future games, and they'd be stuck forever in monochrome. With that out of the way, I can download Yellow tomorrow with glee.
Never.

Especially not now when it has been years since they have done even two regions in a single game.

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Never.

Especially not now when it has been years since they have done even two regions in a single game.
HGSS weren't that long ago. And it's the 20th anniversary, you really think they're not going to pull out all the stops? 3DS carts can hold an amazing amount of content, and they could even divide the regions by game. And these games have probably been in development for a pretty long time already.

I'm not going to say with absolute certainty that every region will be in these games. I'm not going to bet on it either. But you have to admit, the way they said that Sun and Moon will "bring it all together" or something to that effect, makes it sound like something fishy could be going on. And what better way to celebrate 20 years of Pokemon, then revisiting some older regions that haven't gotten the glorious 3D treatment yet?

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Boy, really looking forward to Moon and Sun.
Too bad all we've seen so far was more of a teaser.

I hope (-yet really doubt) they'll put more thought into balance this time though, online battles were no fun.
Felt like all that breeding & training was for nothing, so i switched over to Pokemonshowdown.

Oh, and i hope most of the old pokemon will get actual evolutions instead of Megas.
Like... i don't know, a Farfetch'd with two leaks?
...i got nothing.

HGSS weren't that long ago. And it's the 20th anniversary, you really think they're not going to pull out all the stops? 3DS carts can hold an amazing amount of content, and they could even divide the regions by game. And these games have probably been in development for a pretty long time already.

I'm not going to say with absolute certainty that every region will be in these games. I'm not going to bet on it either. But you have to admit, the way they said that Sun and Moon will "bring it all together" or something to that effect, makes it sound like something fishy could be going on. And what better way to celebrate 20 years of Pokemon, then revisiting some older regions that haven't gotten the glorious 3D treatment yet?
That would be quite awesome, but...
I feel like "Bring it all together" refers to simply the adventure, interaction with others, the fun, and other overly dramatized aspects shown in the trailer.

Also, i'd rather they put all their effort into making new fleshed out region/s. (but again, old regions as extra would be nice!)

Last edited:

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
All I ever wanted from a Pokemon game was to be able to catch them all. ALL OF THEM. A massive Pokémon RPG where all regions are included would make this possible, but its never going to happen officially...

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I wouldn't even want a game with 7 different regions in it. That would be incredibly redundant with ORAS, for one, and would ruin the perfect reimagining of Pokémon BW that might happen one day down the road for two.

A game with 2 regions would be the absolute max I'd care for. Past that, and the game balance would just become ludicrous, anyway. When the wild Pokémon and trainers in region 3 would be nearing level 100, you'd be stuck using the same team of 6 for ALL THAT TIME due to the crazy amount of time that it would take to train up a replacement, even with Exp Share. The same team for that long of a journey? Eh. Talk about a lack of freedom. Personally, with this being a new generation, I don't care if past regions make an appearance or not, so long as there's a NEW region that's amazing. That's the most important thing.

So, now that you can put your Red/Blue/Yellow Pokémon into Pokémon Bank, I feel like I actually want to save up some money and buy one! The biggest reason I had lost interest initially is because I figured any Pokémon I used in the game would be stuck there, and I already have OR for random Pokémon gameplay when I'm bored.

Yellow & Blue were my first Pokémon games... I dunno which version I would want to buy, actually. I guess Yellow, if only for the better graphics and expanded move pools.

Another thing about the VC games is that it is becoming more and more clear that they are rebuilds of the original, and not true ports. I keep finding more and more evidence that there are lots of QOL changes. For one, you don't have to have a Surfing Pikachu to access the surfing minigame in Yellow (since you can't get a Surfing Pikachu in the game, anyway). BUT, the level 7 Mew glitch is still in the game! Will we see Missingno? Are the Pokémon themselves using the gen 3+ data structure, but hiding it?

LOTS TO DISCOVER, which is something I never thought I'd say about a Pokémon RBY VC release, haha.

Pokémon Sun and Moon!

I LOVE the Blastoise fire truck and all the concept art! The new woodpecker Pokémon looks cute. If there was ever a Pokémon that will learn Drill Peck, it would be this one, that's for sure. It'll be interesting to find out what it will evolve into and if it will get a different typing than Normal/Flying (though I have no problem with that typing anymore, like I used to).

The resort hotel looks gorgeous. It looks like there's going to be a motel as well! With that cool truck and several hotels, I wonder if we'll be able to travel by automobile in gen 7! That would be pretty exciting. That's something I always wanted since Pokémon Blue, with the truck. When Pokémon BW came out, all the cars and trucks in Castelia City really reawakened a desire to be able to travel by car, at least as an option.

Picture of the motel + truck:

Machamp, Furfrou, Wobbuffet, Wingull, and Blastoise will all be in the overworld (probably) at the very least, so this game will have old Pokémon in the overworld for sure. In other words, it won't be like Pokémon White, where you could only capture Unova Pokémon before the Elite Four.

Gorgeous new Pokémon Center:

The vehicles + fire truck:

Apparently, someone found a hotel in Singapore that strongly resembles the hotel in SM... could this be a hint?
http://cdnimg.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/18.jpg

Last edited:

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
So apparently in the VC versions of RBY, MissingNo. will still be included. That raises the question... what happens if we try to transfer it to Pokémon Bank?

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
I guess that means I can have a Mewtwo that knows Water Gun, Metronome, Rage, and teleport in a mordern poke'mon game.

FlameEmperor

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlameEmperor
I'd like to formerly welcome everybody to the 7th generation of Pokemon. Its the dawn of a new day around here.

Edit: Not gonna lie that trailer gave me the warm fuzzzies.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Oh, Pokemon Sun/Moon. I was hoping they'd show off a new Pokemon or some gameplay footage, but I guess I can't complain.
I wonder what's up with Zygarde, though. Surely they won't just forget about it and its new forms.

Aninymouse Aninymouse

So I think our drastically different views on Greninja really comes from the formats we play in. You play Wi-Fi, correct? A 6vs6 battle is very different from a 3vs3. In 3vs3, a lot of the strategy comes from the team viewer, where you have to think about which three pokemon your opponent is most likely to use and which three you're most likely to win with. In 6vs6, however, you know your opponents full team, and have more options to swap out to. That makes 6vs6 revolve around pokemon cores. It becomes about breaking your enemy's cores while preserving your own.

The problem with Greinja is that it has the potential to punch through basically any defensive or balanced core, depending on its moveset. While 3vs3 isn't as dependent on cores, in 6vs6, a pokemon that effortlessly destroy cores are just devastating. It's the same reason Mega Gengar is banned; not because it's too powerful, but because it gives a serious, unfair advantage in destroying cores.

3vs3 matches, however, don't have enough room to swap out to focus on cores as much. That might also explain why your opinion on Porgyon2 is more positive than that of Smogonites like me. Porgyon2 has incredibly good defenses, but it doesn't fit into cores very well because its neutral typing and lack of specialization to cover up individual weaknesses. But its a natural fit into 3vs3, where you can't fit a full defensive core into every match.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Oh, Pokemon Sun/Moon. I was hoping they'd show off a new Pokemon or some gameplay footage, but I guess I can't complain.
I wonder what's up with Zygarde, though. Surely they won't just forget about it and its new forms.

Aninymouse Aninymouse

So I think our drastically different views on Greninja really comes from the formats we play in. You play Wi-Fi, correct? A 6vs6 battle is very different from a 3vs3. In 3vs3, a lot of the strategy comes from the team viewer, where you have to think about which three pokemon your opponent is most likely to use and which three you're most likely to win with. In 6vs6, however, you know your opponents full team, and have more options to swap out to. That makes 6vs6 revolve around pokemon cores. It becomes about breaking your enemy's cores while preserving your own.

The problem with Greinja is that it has the potential to punch through basically any defensive or balanced core, depending on its moveset. While 3vs3 isn't as dependent on cores, in 6vs6, a pokemon that effortlessly destroy cores are just devastating. It's the same reason Mega Gengar is banned; not because it's too powerful, but because it gives a serious, unfair advantage in destroying cores.

3vs3 matches, however, don't have enough room to swap out to focus on cores as much. That might also explain why your opinion on Porgyon2 is more positive than that of Smogonites like me. Porgyon2 has incredibly good defenses, but it doesn't fit into cores very well because its neutral typing and lack of specialization to cover up individual weaknesses. But its a natural fit into 3vs3, where you can't fit a full defensive core into every match.
Yes, exactly.

In 3vs3, things like Mega Blaziken are totally fair due to how the metagame works. That's why I prefer it: almost nothing but the strongest legendaries needs to be banned in order to have a good time. I regularly defeated the best cookie-cutter Smogon teams with a mono-type Normal team. The only Pokemon that really messed me up were ones with Mold Breaker, or Gastrodon, Sableye, and Conkeldurr. This was all before ORAS, mind you.

Greninja has such low defenses, coupled with the Life Orb recoil, that it regularly only got 2 attacks in before going down. Not much of a threat, even without Porygon2.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Based on what Serebii.net has brought up, it seems that the Pokemon from Red, Blue, and Yellow can't be transferred over to the 6th generation titles. Does this foreshadow any mechanic changes for Sun and Moon?

FlameEmperor

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlameEmperor
Based on what Serebii.net has brought up, it seems that the Pokemon from Red, Blue, and Yellow can't be transferred over to the 6th generation titles. Does this foreshadow any mechanic changes for Sun and Moon?
They alluded you being able to transfer 6th gen Pokemon to Sun and Moon so I'm sure there will be mechanic changes to resolve this.

Sadly tho you can't transfer RBY Pokemon to ORAS or XY.

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-video-games/pokemon-bank/#pokemon-sun-pokemon-moon

Although, Body Slam Mega Kangaskan and No Gaurd Fissure Machamp could still be a thing in the future.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Although, Body Slam Mega Kangaskan and No Gaurd Fissure Machamp could still be a thing in the future.
Return is still better than Body Slam though. As for Fissure on No Guard Machamp, that could pose one heck of a problem if you don't have any Flying-type Pokemon, or any Pokemon who has Levitate or Sturdy.

Of course, last I've checked, 1-hit KO attacks are banned from competitive battles.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Return is still better than Body Slam though. As for Fissure on No Guard Machamp, that could pose one heck of a problem if you don't have any Flying-type Pokemon, or any Pokemon who has Levitate or Sturdy.

Of course, last I've checked, 1-hit KO attacks are banned from competitive battles.
Body Slam gives you paralysis chances though
Even in VGC?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Body Slam gives you paralysis chances though
Even in VGC?
Still, there are cases where you have to hit things quite hard, and forget about the secondary effects. Some people say that Mega Blastoise should be using Scald, but Water Pulse packs a bigger punch with the Mega Launcher boost, AND it can hit non-adjacent targets during a triple battle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom