• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
No; I'd actually legitimately like to here why you disagree with this. Is there somthing factually incorrect about that statement? Do you think consumers should cater to producers?
Ill just say this as much as Smash caters to consumers. When it comes to 3rd parties theres a lot of moving pieces here. You need to keep all parties happy while catering to fan demand. This is no longer one company, but many. You no longer have one set of share holders, but many sets. We have to consider this. DQ may make the most profit while catering to fan demand, which is huge in Japan! Keep in mind 75% of sales for DQ11 came from Japan. DQ6 which released around the same time as SMRPG sold 2million more copies. The game series itself has made 5 billion in total and as of 2011 has sold more than 57 million units. These are not small numbers, its clear it sells and has a fan base, period!

To answer your question directly, depends on the situation. That is too big of a statement to generalize. Naturally producers should cater to consumers, that being said. They also have to cater to their share holders, and make sure the choices they make will produce a lot of revenue. So they may go for a middle road, put a fan popular character, but not the most requested character, this way most people are happy and mostly everyone wins. Thats all Im going to say on this matter as I still stand by what I said, we need to grateful for what has been given to us this far. This game and its creator is trying its best to cater to the fans, we may not like everything that happens from here on out thats fine, but this game is still truly an incredible marvel.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Because despite what people would have you believe stuff like bringing snake back is the company already catering to us. We were the base flooding the ballot with the ****ing Ice Climbers. Do you really think anyone on that list isn't a choice that would appeal to a section of the fanbase? You have a legendary villain, a legendary unrepped RPG series, the protagonist of a legendary "greatest game of all time", a legendary action RPG rep, and a legendary "core" pick.

Just because it's not your boy doesn't mean it's not catering to their audience.
I mean..... greatest game of all time is preeeeeeeetty debatable. You a Dragon Quest fan?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I mean..... greatest game of all time is preeeeeeeetty debatable. You a Dragon Quest fan?
Talking about Crono Trigger here.
Chrono Trigger is generally seen as the Greatest Game of all Time alongside FFVII and Ocarina of Time and compete for Greatest Role playing game with FFVII.

It's not something about "fan" it's literally generally agreed.

Also A.G.L. A.G.L. I'll answer your things a bit later. Been busy and in class but what you say is very interesting

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yeah, exactly. CT is often considered among the JRPG greats.

Like, Chrono Trigger isn't my personal greatest game of all time, but it's absolutely up there. The only DQ game I've played to any length was one of the Game Boy Color ones. But this is one hell of a list no matter which way you slice it and every single character on it would sell to a portion of the public. To say otherwise is ludicrous.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Every character on the list has great reason to be in the game. They're all from massive franchises with great legacies, and any of them would be excellent. I absolutely agree with the sentiment that no matter who gets in from the list that it's an overall win.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Do you guy's Nintendo would want to collaborate with Dragon Quest amidst the controversy? If they removed Mr. Game and Watch's feather; I don't think they'd team up with a homophobic war crime denier.

D

Deleted member

Not gonna lie, if it's a DQ character, I want them to be Slime for one simple reason
Rimuru_Slime_Anime.png

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Do you guy's Nintendo would want to collaborate with Dragon Quest amidst the controversy? If they removed Mr. Game and Watch's feather; I don't think they'd team up with a homophobic war crime denier.
Do you think Nintendo care about what the music guy think when at worst they can just use rip of old game or make remixes with another composer?

Do not mix the idea of an author with the product. Dragon Quest isn't one guy. It's a hundred of people who all have different opinions. Just because one guy is an idiot- doesn't mean they're all racist Nazis.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Do you think Nintendo care about what the music guy think when at worst they can just use rip of old game or make remixes with another composer?

Do not mix the idea of an author with the product. Dragon Quest isn't one guy. It's a hundred of people who all have different opinions. Just because one guy is an idiot- doesn't mean they're all racist Nazis.
They still have to pay him, whether it be for old product or the license to remix it. And music is a prominent, advertised part of DLC this time around, so it's not like no one will know.

D

Deleted member

Seriously. Likely hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of people are involved in the game's development. It wouldn't be a stretch to think at least one of those people holds similar views. It's just an unfortunate part of working with so many different people and companies, one person's ****ty views shouldn't stop that.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Seriously. Likely hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of people are involved in the game's development. It wouldn't be a stretch to think at least one of those people holds similar views. It's just an unfortunate part of working with so many different people and companies, one person's ****ty views shouldn't stop that.
It's not like this man is just an intern, he is the HEAD composer of Dragon Quest, and you can't just shake that off with a "one of many" argument.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I just think that the fact he's stingy with music alone , is already a big problem.

Of course , the burger is the character , the fries is the stage , and I would say that the music is the ketchup and the salt.
Not having ketchup or salt isn't gonna ruin the quality of the food , but it still doesn't feel right.

For your regular Smash customer , 2 music tracks come as cheap , especially from a 32 years old franchise.
I mean , Bayonetta , the youngest third party , has more music than that. And Castlevania has like 30 music tracks despise only beeing in base game.

And I don't feel they had a choice about G&W. If they didn't do it , they were dead to a lot of community , because they don't realize that it was just a reference , not a way to insult others peoples. Why would they say no in this situation ? For them , it would be nothing but controversy , and removing the feather take like 10 minutes for all the G&W alts.

However , if people managed to find that like 2 days after the demo is avaible to SOME places , I think they'll know pretty quickly who is doing the music , and what he has said.

Sure , It's only a few people who will find out and complain.
But even the smallest fire can spread quickly if there is enough wood near it.

However , I hope people doesn't hate DQ for the composer alone.
If you don't want to give money to him , buy used copies of DQ games. You're going to give money to the one selling it , not the composer.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
IIRC this stuff with Sugiyama isn't new and Nintendo is probably still going to continue to publish every Dragon Quest game that comes to their platform.

D

Deleted member

It's not like this man is just an intern, he is the HEAD composer of Dragon Quest, and you can't just shake that off with a "one of many" argument.
They still published multiple Dragon Quest games in the West, like the 3DS remakes of DQ7 and DQ8. I doubt that he is a problem.

timbo8

Smash Cadet
You know something A.G.L Nomura did wore a tony stark t shirt at the kh3 premiere event

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
You guy's would be okay with getting DQ character in DLC, even though money would be going to the composer?

D

Deleted member

This reminds me of the MMO Junkie director controversy
Bottomline is that we shouldn't judge the efforts of many people because of one person. The tree isn't dead because one apple is rotten, don't throw away the other apples because of it.
It's fine if you want to distance yourself from that piece of media because of one person and to hope those in charge of it realize that they should probably distance themselves from said person too, but there's a whole lot of other people involved in the creation of that work and it's simply not fair to them to condemn their whole work.

D

Deleted member

You guy's would be okay with getting DQ character in DLC, even though money would be going to the composer?
Yes I goddamn would, because it's a series that I enjoy. Even if Sugiyama is a ****ty person it's a unavioudable and unfortunate consequence of supporting the series.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
There's the possibility that we could get Smashified remixes by the Smash dev team.

But yeah , it made think , this whole situation with the composer... I think I'll buy the character if they really sell me on it. Otherwise , I'll wait for a price drop or playing Erdrick/Eleven's DQ game.
But tbh , I kind of hate random encounter in RPGs , I already have a hard time with Mother 1 lol

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Yes I goddamn would, because it's a series that I enjoy. Even if Sugiyama is a ****ty person it's a unavioudable and unfortunate consequence of supporting the series.
I just think that overall, standing up for what's right is more important than getting my favorite character into a video gamer, but that's just me personally.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I mean I like Dragon Quest. I don't like the composer either, but you can only hold people morally accountable for so much.

But all of this freaking out over someone who is not Geno is premature.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
There's the possibility that we could get Smashified remixes by the Smash dev team.

But yeah , it made think , this whole situation with the composer... I think I'll buy the character if they really sell me on it. Otherwise , I'll wait for a price drop or playing Erdrick/Eleven's DQ game.
But tbh , I kind of hate random encounter in RPGs , I already have a hard time with Mother 1 lol
They would still need to pay him for the right's to remix, if I recall.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I just think that the fact he's stingy with music alone , is already a big problem.

Of course , the burger is the character , the fries is the stage , and I would say that the music is the ketchup and the salt.
Not having ketchup or salt isn't gonna ruin the quality of the food , but it still doesn't feel right.

For your regular Smash customer , 2 music tracks come as cheap , especially from a 32 years old franchise.
I mean , Bayonetta , the youngest third party , has more music than that. And Castlevania has like 30 music tracks despise only beeing in base game.

And I don't feel they had a choice about G&W. If they didn't do it , they were dead to a lot of community , because they don't realize that it was just a reference , not a way to insult others peoples. Why would they say no in this situation ? For them , it would be nothing but controversy , and removing the feather take like 10 minutes for all the G&W alts.

However , if people managed to find that like 2 days after the demo is avaible to SOME places , I think they'll know pretty quickly who is doing the music , and what he has said.

Sure , It's only a few people who will find out and complain.
But even the smallest fire can spread quickly if there is enough wood near it.

However , I hope people doesn't hate DQ for the composer alone.
If you don't want to give money to him , buy used copies of DQ games. You're going to give money to the one selling it , not the composer.
I'd say music is more like your drink. It can be enjoyed regardless of the meal, just like you could like a game's OST but not the game itself.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
So there’s a Black Panther costume for the new Armor King DLC in Tekken 7. Which is incredibly odd unless Marvel and Disney allowed them to. Hmmm I wonder what this means, perhaps a new Marvel game from Bandai Namco, or this could be deeper, or just a nice plus. Just wanted to let everyone know.

Edit: Also Square is working on an Avengers game which is tied to marvel which is tied to Disney. It may all be coincidence and it probably is, but two companies related to Smash are somehow dealing with Disney.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...which-sees-him-become-black-panther-tekken-7/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So there’s a Black Panther costume for the new Armor King DLC in Tekken 7. Which is incredibly odd unless Marvel and Disney allowed them to. Hmmm I wonder what this means, perhaps a new Marvel game from Bandai Namco, or this could be deeper, or just a nice plus. Just wanted to let everyone know.

Edit: Also Square is working on an Avengers game which is tied to marvel which is tied to Disney. It may all be coincidence and it probably is, but two companies related to Smash are somehow dealing with Disney.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...which-sees-him-become-black-panther-tekken-7/

Black Panther is the Square rep???

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I just think that overall, standing up for what's right is more important than getting my favorite character into a video gamer, but that's just me personally.
So I expect from here on out, you'll only buy a game when you've personally vetted each and every person who worked on it and made sure they're up to your standards, right? Otherwise you might give money to a real piece of ****, and that's just too big a risk to take.

Or you could acknowledge that that's impossible, that sometimes you'll end up supporting ****ty people, that one prominent guy doesn't ruin the efforts of lots of other people, no matter how bad that person may be And then maybe you can stop trying to guilt-trip everyone because they think someone is likelier than Geno.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord

Cant believe Black Panther will be the SE rep, crosspromoting the game that has been in development for an amount of time almost equal to the Boat Trip from Berserk

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I'd say music is more like your drink. It can be enjoyed regardless of the meal, just like you could like a game's OST but not the game itself.
It's another way to look at it.

But personnaly , if the music isn't good or fit the situation , it take me out of the experience of the game , and I have an hard time to play before getting bored.

However , for Smash , it isn't as much as a problem , since you have 103 others stages and 800 tracks.

I just feel that 2 music tracks isn't enough , especially for a franchise with so many games. But sadly , that's how SE work.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tbh, if Sugiyama was the character designer for DQ or the main director or something like that, then yeah, I'd have issues with a DQ character. But the guy just does the music, I can enjoy whatever character they give out without having to listen his tracks(which I know I'll certainly avoid doing if it happens).

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
This reminds me of the MMO Junkie director controversy
Bottomline is that we shouldn't judge the efforts of many people because of one person. The tree isn't dead because one apple is rotten, don't throw away the other apples because of it.
It's fine if you want to distance yourself from that piece of media because of one person and to hope those in charge of it realize that they should probably distance themselves from said person too, but there's a whole lot of other people involved in the creation of that work and it's simply not fair to them to condemn their whole work.
That was a pretty good video. So basically; we shouldn't allow DQ in smash until they fire the composer; imo.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Oh its definitely one of them, as for the rest they might just be a distraction to hide the real thing. I find it odd that in that list the two dismissed are Geno and Sora. Even though they were seen as the two most likely before this list was being passed around. Also the idea of Square immediately dismissing Sora and the creators trying to challenge it which would include Nomura and Square still saying no sounds really suspicious. Now were not just leaking characters, were leaking how certain employees are acting. We have never had this much insider information on the inner working of Square's higher ups before. Why all of a sudden now? The whole thing about this list and Linkedin information is not adding up, it feels like a diversion. To distract us from what is the truth. One of them is real, and were not seeing it because the information surrounding it keeps getting more dramatic. Again I don't think insiders or leakers are purposefully misdirecting fans, but the information is so tangled they may not know they are getting false information. Its a big possibility Square is purposefully allowing these stories to leak, to hide whats really going on.
Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman was the first one to suggest this, but it's certainly a possibility. I've always found it interesting that the most amount of dissent is around Sora of all characters, as some sources say he's in or he has a chance whereas others say he's off the table.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I just hope that the DQ composer doesn't do copyright strikes if his musics are featured in a , let's say , Smash Bros Ultimate stream.

That's a thing I don't know , has he or his team done something like that before ? Because this could be a big problem.
However , maybe Nintendo can manage to allow these remix to be used ?

D

Deleted member

I just hope that the DQ composer doesn't do copyright strikes if his musics are featured in a , let's say , Smash Bros Ultimate stream.

That's a thing I don't know , has he or his team done something like that before ? Because this could be a big problem.
However , maybe Nintendo can manage to allow these remix to be used ?
That could definetely be an issue, but if the same rules apply from the listed streaming policy for DQ11 then the only issue would be just straight uploads and streams with just the music. and not gameplay footage.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That was a pretty good video. So basically; we shouldn't allow DQ in smash until they fire the composer; imo.
Not really. H.P. Lovecraft was a horrible racist and white supremacist, but people still regard his works as some of the best science fiction of all time.

Nintendo has already dealt with Sugiyama in publishing DQ titles in the West, which means that they could deal with him again. He's a non-issue, and it's only here in the West that people really care about it. Apparently beside the bigotry and war-crime denying he's a perfectly fine guy, and the Japanese don't particularly care about it. They can and will work with him to get DQ music in Smash if they decide to go in that direction. Stop virtue-signaling a much more complicated issue; it's not as easy as "he bad, no game," there's a lot more to it.

D

Deleted member

I certainly tjink he shouldn't be involved with the series anymore but I doubt it's that simple.
He's a non-issue, and it's only here in the West that people really care about it. Apparently beside the bigotry and war-crime denying he's a perfectly fine guy, and the Japanese don't particularly care about it.
I mean, this is completely false though.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I know the composer isn't the most important part of the Dragon Quest series, but in gaming and how big an element music is a composer can be just as important as say Bill Cosby was to the Bill Cosby show.

Does that mean I can't appreciate let's say Phylicia Rashad/the other Dragon Quest team members anymore as Cosby's wife/other important key roles? No, but because of Cosby there's still going to be a sour note on the whole experience.

For god's sakes look at The Conners, Roseanne created every character on that show and while she's gone now and it's a spin-off without her and the rest of the cast of the old show and the new one is regarded as being just as strong of a presence in why Roseanne/The Conners was great.

One bad egg can sour the entire experience because as you're watching/playing something? You'll be thinking of them and what they did and the drama surrounding it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom