• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I just want a DLC character reveal in general, even if its not one of the 7. Something to keep fueling the hype
I hope so too, if nothing else to move speculation onto the other 4 DLC characters and we will already know who the 2nd Square Rep is. Everyone will cheer or some will leave weeping, but at least we will know.

Eremitaviola

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5198-1572-7120
Since no one cared about the specific thread I'll say it here, but I'd love to see Octopath at least as spirits, but sadly it's pretty recent so while the great sales might help it would probably be better to at least have a sequel first. I know it will be even better! They had all the sistems working great so they just need to expand on that! Bravely Default probably has more of a chance, but I'd rather have Octopath exactly because they would have to be all eight protagonists. I know they're only published by Square but everyone still considers them Square games because of how they take inspiration from their old games (and frankly do everything 10 times better).

Calane

Smash Ace
You know, regardless of whether DQ makes it into Smash or not, I'm happy that I got the chance to help people learn a little bit more about the franchise. Due to all the rumors, people actually got to know more about Erdrick, and other things about the series besides just Slime.

I'll be extremely disappointed if it doesn't happen, but I want to consider some people being a little more informed about DQ as a sort of "victory" anyway. It may not last, but for a short while, it actually seemed like there was some real interest surrounding the franchise around here (even if not all of it was positive), and it sort of warms me up inside.

Even if DQ doesn't make it (I'm preparing myself for that outcome), more people now know who Erdrick and the Luminary are. And well? I think that's pretty darn cool, all things considered.

Icon 21.PNG

It's been fun (sort of), but I really hope we can put all of this "SE character" stuff to rest soon.​

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Just wanted to throw this out here, the one Amiibo that really matters. It’s really nice Sakurai is getting some fan appreciation and he even tweeted a response. You can tell that he appreciated it.

You know this has me wondering. Why hasn't Sakurai been made playable yet? The man has done so much for us fans and yet never once did he make an entirely new character or add himself in the game?

The guy has worked to death. I'd love for him to be in the game in some form. And this isn't a joke post either. The guy deserves as much recognition as he can get.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Ah a Battletoads game, I knew you had quality taste my friend :). I actually think we may get the first DLC revealed seems like the signs are pointing to it, but it might just be a Metroid prime trilogy.

I’m hoping to see what Square’s Avengers game looks like. I think we might get an Avengers 4 trailer also, the Russo brothers there is too much of a coincidence. I hope we get the Spyro Reignited Trilogy trilogy released for the Switch or at least a date. I also hope we get a release date for both Fire Emblem Three Houses and Daimon X Machina. Finally I hope they are making a new Goemon game!
Well thank you, that's mighty kind of you buddy. I didn't expect Battletoads to be on your liking list.. quality news to me :)
Prime is Prime, but they hinted Smash stuff specifically. We'll see.

Frankly I just want to know who the SE rep is so we can end this Geno debacle. And Avengers, sure. Super hero games tend to be bad, so I'm eager to see what SE's able to do about that.
Oh I'm so waiting for Daimon X Machina, the game is really good and the devs knows it. I take as little as I can, I don't want to spoil much with game-plays.
Btw, just noting, I have nothing against FE as a game, just the amount that went into Smash.

Ohh.. you're killing me. A new Goemon game, that'd be the dream. It's a hard one to pick to be honest, this game can only be made in Japan, as the jokes, stories.. etc. are heavily Japanese oriented. The old team is dismantled. Most however work for Nintendo now, under Good Feel studio. It's certainly manageable, but Konami needs to put a little bit of effort. The team is there.. and they're still dreaming of a new Goemon game too, imagine that.

D

Deleted member

This thread moves relatively fast for what it is lol

I don't know how many of you believe the possibility of "all 7 are leaker bait" but I just want to leave it clear that's impossible. Someone in Square had to hear the true name, if they could just permanently and magically hide it until it's time for the reveal, there wouldn't even be a point to leak bait in the first place.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Hello everyone !

So the SE thread is here... Thank you Nekoo for making it !

Even tho I don't particulary want these characters (beside Geno) I respect everyone's wishes.

I just hope that , no matter who the SE rep is , that they come with a game for the Switch. It could be ports , remasters/remakes , original games... Anything , as long as It's not a spin-off. (yeah SMRPG is kind of a spin-off , but you get my point.)

As for who is the most likely?

I have no idea my friend.

Some characters are easy to get and would make the community go nuts (Sephiroth and Geno) , some have a huge legacy and could bring a good franchise to the West(The DQ gang) , you got Mr. My weapon is as much of a Smash weapon as you can get (Sora), and a character from a game that OH MY GOD WHY IS THIS DS PORT 60 EUROS ON AMAZON(jk jk) beeing Crono , his game interested me... But Sadly , I don't have enough money lol.

And if you want to know , 60 euros is around 65 dollars , not a big difference. (I hate beeing french sometimes.)

So , I Hope everyone is civil until the SE rep is announced.

But yeah , you're all fools , the SE rep is Mallow , my dad is Sakurai and he told me so , you all got baited lmao :4pacman:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Any of the 7 would be great to have, but if I had to pick someone as the most likely, I would go for Sephiroth. I wonder what stage could go with him.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hello everyone, another Geno fan coming through. I have not had much experience with many of these other character(With the exception of Sora and Geno), but I figure every perspective can be a good perspective. I am open to a majority of these characters, and they all have reasons for getting in.

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, should we really call them 7 if Luminary is actually just a title for Erdrick? I'm actually surprised I didn't see anyone bring this fact up back in the discussion thread.

Calane

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, should we really call them 7 if Luminary is actually just a title for Erdrick? I'm actually surprised I didn't see anyone bring this fact up back in the discussion thread.
No, Erdrick itself is a title. I can't get too into it due to spoilers, but Erdrick (the Hero of DQ3) and the Luminary (Hero of DQ11) are two different characters altogether.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So many good choices from Square Enix. I like Erdrick, Slime, and Crono the best.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'm hurt :drsad:

You know, regardless of whether DQ makes it into Smash or not, I'm happy that I got the chance to help people learn a little bit more about the franchise. Due to all the rumors, people actually got to know more about Erdrick
This makes me happy about making this thread. Since it will allow people to show and explain more about their favorite characters and make the others understands that they also have a chance, and perhaps make them Curious about their games.

No but seriously, I'm also surprised that this thread move so fast
I guess it's a good things because people want discussion to happens!

D

Deleted member

No, Erdrick itself is a title. I can't get too into it due to spoilers, but Erdrick (the Hero of DQ3) and the Luminary (Hero of DQ11) are two different characters altogether.
Ok, please explain it to me in a spoiler because this is getting confusing.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I guess I'm one of the few rooting for Slime eh?

You might be thinking: Since when would Smash ever put a generic enemy as a fighter in the game?

Calane

Smash Ace
Ok, please explain it to me in a spoiler because this is getting confusing.
Alright, but I strongly advise anyone who wants to play DQ11 not to read it.

Basically, "Erdrick" is a title bestowed on true heroes, but this title is associated with the hero of DQ3, who earned it at the end of the game. Supposedly, in DQ11's true ending, the Luminary earns the same title. However, referring to the Luminary as Erdrick would be a massive spoiler for that game's secret ending. On top of that, he's known as the Luminary, while DQ3's hero is the only one known for the title "Erdrick".

To put it simply, both heroes earn the same title eventually, but DQ11's hero is known as "Luminary", while DQ3's hero is known for the title "Erdrick". Please forgive me for the sloppy explanation, I seem to be struggling with my wording on this one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Basically, "Erdrick" is a title bestowed on true heroes, but this title is associated with the hero of DQ3, who earned it at the end of the game. Supposedly, in DQ11's true ending, the Luminary earns the same title. However, referring to the Luminary as Erdrick would be a massive spoiler for that game's secret ending. On top of that, he's known as the Luminary, while DQ3's hero is the only one known for the title "Erdrick".

To put it simply, both heroes earn the same title eventually, but DQ11's hero is known as "Luminary", while DQ3's hero is known for the title "Erdrick". Please forgive me for the sloppy explanation, I seem to be struggling with my wording on this one.
Thank you, that explains what I needed to know. I actually thought Erdrick was a name up until now.

D

Deleted member

You know, regardless of whether DQ makes it into Smash or not, I'm happy that I got the chance to help people learn a little bit more about the franchise. Due to all the rumors, people actually got to know more about Erdrick, and other things about the series besides just Slime.

I'll be extremely disappointed if it doesn't happen, but I want to consider some people being a little more informed about DQ as a sort of "victory" anyway. It may not last, but for a short while, it actually seemed like there was some real interest surrounding the franchise around here (even if not all of it was positive), and it sort of warms me up inside.

Even if DQ doesn't make it (I'm preparing myself for that outcome), more people now know who Erdrick and the Luminary are. And well? I think that's pretty darn cool, all things considered.

View attachment 181806
It's been fun (sort of), but I really hope we can put all of this "SE character" stuff to rest soon.​
I feel the same way. It's a great series that really deserves more love outside of Japan, it makes me glad people are playing them for the first time because of all this.

Calane

Smash Ace
Thank you, that explains what I needed to know. I actually thought Erdrick was a name up until now.
In a way, Erdrick is a name, it's just more along the lines of people calling Bruce Wayne "Batman". Well, sort of.

It'd be like if "Batman" were a title you could earn, and Bruce was the one most known for it. It's something like that, I guess.

Anyway, glad I could help.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
POOF.. I'm here.. but so late XD
Well I'll put this first, I'm not at all that knowledgeable of TWEWY. The reasons you've put are part of it. I do say I'm leaning towards Geno being the first candidate, but if not it's probably Neku, for reasons I'll add to your reasons, that he might be the "rhythm"character that's been talked about for so long, not a Rhythm Heaven one. Also, one of the leakers said the Square rep game will win an award in best genre.. that's a hard win for Geno, Somewhat to DQ and an easy one for TWEWY. Besides, it's the only character no leaker have mentioned.

Umm, I don't think they'll consider remastering MarioRPG ever, it's a really really hard call.

Edit: Oh man, again, I thought I was in the main public thread :p This is so Jibanyan luck X)
What would TWEWY win?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

If Erdrick is a title and not a name (lol wut), then I presume that the actual name of the DQ3 protagonist is Loto, the other name he's been known to go by.

Calane

Smash Ace
If Erdrick is a title and not a name (lol wut), then I presume that the actual name of the DQ3 protagonist is Loto, the other name he's been known to go by.
Roto/Loto is just Erdrick's title in japan. Well, Loto was used in the Game Boy Color re-releases of 1, 2, and 3, so I guess "Loto" is more like a direct translation of Erdrick's Japanese title, "Roto".

Anyway, according to the manga and "CD theater drama", Erdrick's real name is actually Arel.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
In terms of what I would want from these characters, my list would go:
Sora
Crono
Geno
DQ
Sephiroth

Sora and Crono would both be radical. Geno would be...fine; I don't have a connection, but it'd be nice to see all the fans finally get their character. I don't care about DQ (don't hate me; I don't like almost any turn-based RPG). And Sephiroth would just be a crappy choice in my opinion. Another FF7 character? When there are much better FF characters to pick from that actually have history with Nintendo? I dunno, it just seems like a waste to me.

As for likelihood...if we're taking it at face value, Sora and Geno are obviously all but out of the running. Crono is a rights nightmare, I believe, that they might not want to sift through for a game that old. Sephiroth would mean another FF7 character with another FF7 stage and two more pieces of music, and that just doesn't...seem right to me? Not to mention that the team had a bad enough time balancing Cloud and his massive sword, so Sephiroth obviously presents problems of his own. I think it's probably gonna be a DQ character. Good luck to the fans, I suppose, even if I'm not personally interested!

Now pardon me while I try not to get my hopes too high for the chance that Sora being disconfirmed outright is just a bluff, and while I try to talk myself out of Crono actually having a chance. Luckily, I have a feeling we'll get our answers tonight!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I've said it before but it is absolutely insane to me that Smash has progressed to the point that getting Sephiroth is considered "disappointing" or "crappy". We really do take what we have for granted.

D

Deleted member

I've said it before but it is absolutely insane to me that Smash has progressed to the point that getting Sephiroth is considered "disappointing" or "crappy". We really do take what we have for granted.
Personally I'm not really a big fan of him but I do get for sure that he's super popular. I've said before that I think he would be better suited as a boss in World of Light, but really I know they could come up with a really good moveset for him too if he were added.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Most likely IMO are Crono and Geno. But I have a unique char for Squeenix rep. Frog from Chrono Trigger.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896

I don't know how many of you believe the possibility of "all 7 are leaker bait" but I just want to leave it clear that's impossible. Someone in Square had to hear the true name, if they could just permanently and magically hide it until it's time for the reveal, there wouldn't even be a point to leak bait in the first place.
I don't think all are, but Square may change the stories from country to country. In Japan perhaps Sora is most likely, in Germany and the U.S. DQ is most likely, in France and Portugal perhaps Geno or Crono is most likely. My point they could change the stories told in countries, spreading many false leaks, so no one knows who it really is. I would not put this past Square as they are notorious for not letting leaks slip. So whats the best way to cover themselves? Spread a bunch of false rumors to many sources, so that way no one really knows whats happening anymore. Its hard to say, but I wouldn't put it past Square to spread a bunch of false information to throw even the most experienced leakers off. Perhaps only some of the seven are true and the rest are not.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think all are, but Square may change the stories from country to country. In Japan perhaps Sora is most likely, in Germany and the U.S. DQ is most likely, in France and Portugal perhaps Geno or Crono is most likely. My point they could change the stories told in countries, spreading may false leaks, so no one knows in reality who it is. I would not put this past Square as they are notorious for not letting leaks slip. So whats the best way to cover themselves? Spread a bunch of false rumors to many sources, so that way no one really knows whats happening anymore. Its hard to say, but I wouldn't put it past Square to spread a bunch of false information to throw even the most experienced leakers off. Perhaps only some of the seven are true and the rest are not.
That's not what I'm saying. I mean that the actual character HAS to be in that list.
It's certain the US department has gotten the news already so only a miracle would prevent the actual character from leaking.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Let me preface this with a big "in my opinion..."

Sephiroth would work better as a boss, and there are much better FF characters that would bring much more new stuff to the game than him. I don't want another FF character at all, but I would much rather see someone from a different game, someone from arguably the best game in the series, someone who actually has a connection to Nintendo, someone whose game was in fact on the SNES Classic. Ideally, this character would've gotten in before Cloud, though I realize that was basically impossible.

I am of course referring to Terra from FF6.

I recognize that Sephiroth has his fans and I'm not here to start a fight with them, and I'll be glad for them if he makes it, but my personal preference would have them represent different Final Fantasy games rather than doubling down on one that wasn't even on a Nintendo platform. The one inarguably great thing he would bring is One-Winged Angel, the absence of which is obviously a ****ing travesty.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
That's not what I'm saying. I mean that the actual character HAS to be in that list.
It's certain the US department has gotten the news already so only a miracle would prevent the actual character from leaking.
Oh its definitely one of them, as for the rest they might just be a distraction to hide the real thing. I find it odd that in that list the two dismissed are Geno and Sora. Even though they were seen as the two most likely before this list was being passed around. Also the idea of Square immediately dismissing Sora and the creators trying to challenge it which would include Nomura and Square still saying no sounds really suspicious. Now were not just leaking characters, were leaking how certain employees are acting. We have never had this much insider information on the inner working of Square's higher ups before. Why all of a sudden now? The whole thing about this list and Linkedin information is not adding up, it feels like a diversion. To distract us from what is the truth. One of them is real, and were not seeing it because the information surrounding it keeps getting more dramatic. Again I don't think insiders or leakers are purposefully misdirecting fans, but the information is so tangled they may not know they are getting false information. Its a big possibility Square is purposefully allowing these stories to leak, to hide whats really going on.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm not talking about the "worthiness" of Sephiroth or whether he'd make a better boss or the...any of what you just said.

I'm just saying that, as someone who has been in the fandom since 1999, it is absolutely ****ing ridiculous that we are throwing Sephiroth's name around and saying "yeah nah". Like, take a step back and look at the history of this series and fandom and think how absolutely insane that is.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I'm not talking about the "worthiness" of Sephiroth or whether he'd make a better boss or the...any of what you just said.

I'm just saying that, as someone who has been in the fandom since 1999, it is absolutely ****ing ridiculous that we are throwing Sephiroth's name around and saying "yeah nah". Like, take a step back and look at the history of this series and fandom and think how absolutely insane that is.
Yeah, I totally get where you're coming from!

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Oh its definitely one of them, as for the rest they might just be a distraction to hide the real thing. I find it odd that in that list the two dismissed are Geno and Sora. Even though they were seen as the two most likely before this list was being passed around. Also the idea of Square immediately dismissing Sora and the creators trying to challenge it which would include Nomura and Square still saying no sounds really suspicious. Now were not just leaking characters, were leaking how certain employees are acting. We have never had this much insider information on the inner working of Square's higher ups before. Why all of a sudden now? The whole thing about this list and Linkedin information is not adding up, it feels like a diversion. To distract us from what is the truth. One of them is real, and were not seeing it because the information surrounding it keeps getting more dramatic. Again I don't think insiders or leakers are purposefully misdirecting fans, but the information is so tangled they may not know they are getting false information. Its a big possibility Square is purposefully allowing these stories to leak, to hide whats really going on.
Nekoo Nekoo & DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon Any thoughts on this? I know both of you are very knowledgable of Square's dealings and practices. Also you know a lot when it comes to rumors surrounding Square, I wanted to see your opinions on this. Also owjies owjies & EarlTamm EarlTamm you both also have great insights on these matters if you get the chance to, please share your thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Before we get so angry over who the SE rep is. We really need to stop and realize how great this game is before saying such and such character will ruin the DLC or would be a nightmare. Do we still not get that every character is coming back? Not just that, but there are several new challengers and a story mode! I mean everything we have asked Sakurai for he delivered, and its so sad to see people saying well if this character gets in Smash is ruined. This poor legend of a man is trying his best to please everyone, its a shame people are not more grateful. Even if I don't get the Square rep I want ill be grateful, even if Ken wasn't in this game I still would be grateful. We are getting above and beyond, and we really need to stop with all the character hate. We may not like that certain character thats fine, but that does not mean everyone does not like them. We really need to be more understanding of this as a Smash Community.
I quite hate this argument. Do people forget Smash is a product? That we have to buy? We don't have to be grateful, customers do not cater to the producers. It's the other way around.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I quite hate this argument. Do people forget Smash is a product? That we have to buy? We don't have to be grateful, customers do not cater to the producers. It's the other way around.
Im not going to fan this flame, so I will just say agree to disagree.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Im not going to fan this flame, so I will just say agree to disagree.
No; I'd actually legitimately like to hear why you disagree with this. Is there somthing factually incorrect about that statement? Do you think consumers should cater to producers?

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Because despite what people would have you believe stuff like bringing snake back is the company already catering to us. We were the base flooding the ballot with the ****ing Ice Climbers. Do you really think anyone on that list isn't a choice that would appeal to a section of the fanbase? You have a legendary villain, a legendary unrepped RPG series, the protagonist of a legendary "greatest game of all time", a legendary action RPG rep, and a legendary "core" pick.

Just because it's not your boy doesn't mean it's not catering to their audience.

Top Bottom