• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spirit Mode will Obsolete Tier Lists

Birdygamer

Smash Cadet
I think with what spirit Mode will look like, it will negate the purpose of the tier lists because now you can use spirits to take care of any disadvantage your character has. Like Zelda for example, she's always been a low tier character due to her weight and other cons, but spirit mode might help with those problems hence tier lists losing their credibility.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I think with what spirit Mode will look like, it will negate the purpose of the tier lists because now you can use spirits to take care of any disadvantage your character has. Like Zelda for example, she's always been a low tier character due to her weight and other cons, but spirit mode might help with those problems hence tier lists losing their credibility.
Ah ha ha ha no. Spirits will not be allowed in competitive play.

Jakisthe

Smash Cadet
How could you possibly think that spirits would be in competitive? I mean, didn't they even say that they're turned off online? And then, of course, the competitive scene is even *more* stringent about balance than their online settings.

Birdygamer

Smash Cadet
How could you possibly think that spirits would be in competitive? I mean, didn't they even say that they're turned off online? And then, of course, the competitive scene is even *more* stringent about balance than their online settings.
On th direct, it said that you can fight other players around the world in spirit mode

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
The Spirits have a rock-paper-scissors triangle thing going on. They are inherently designed to throw a monkey wrench into matchups. The competitive scene is having none of that ****.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Tier lists will always exist. Assume spirit support was allowed. Who will do better with the same spirits?

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
The issue with Spirit Mode seeing competitive play comes down to how they're acquired, the stat boosts, and the sheer length of time it would take to set up maxed loadouts on each individual console used at tournaments. It's beyond impractial.

Not to mention that these would inevitably get their own tier list if these saw competitive play anyway, so it would accomplish the exact opposite effect you're going for.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
*blinks*

You're being exceedingly optimistic, to the point of foolishness if you'll allow me to be blunt about it, if you believe the competitive scene will allow Spirits to be used in tournament play.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
Yet another "We should allow thing in competitive so that weak characters will become stronger" thread.
Oh my f*cking god. When will you people realize that allowing a thing that makes weak characters stronger WILL ALSO MAKE STRONG CHARACTERS EVEN STRONGER?????? Seriously, please think for 5 seconds before making these types of threads.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Oh my f*cking god. When will you people realize that allowing a thing that makes weak characters stronger WILL ALSO MAKE STRONG CHARACTERS EVEN STRONGER?????? Seriously, please think for 5 seconds before making these types of threads.
I think I also saw this as one of the reasons Riven mods in Warframe were a crapshoot

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
This.

Custom moves in SSB4 would've been much better except that they also made characters like Rosa and Sheik even stronger.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
This.

Custom moves in SSB4 would've been much better except that they also made characters like Rosa and Sheik even stronger.
This isn't like allowing custom moves, this is like allowing equipment.
No. Just no.

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
I do not want to play online with spirits anyway, as I am against characters being tweaked against their weaknesses. Every character has their ups and downs, and mastering THOSE is what makes you truly good with a character...not padding your short comings with BASICALLY hacks =P

ps_

Banned via Warnings
Stickers 2.0 won't be allowed in competitive play, but I would like to see a tournament where people compete with the most OP creations possible.

Top Bottom