• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SPEED: Fox vs Sonic

maxieman

Smash Ace
Captain falcon ties sonic in running speed. yet sonic has faster special attacks. sonic ties falco in attack speed in air. fox has the fastest regular attacks. but the spin dash moves make overall sonic the fastest yet captain falcon will still own. ........ imo. =]

they probobly slowed him down since the demo... i mean come on 3X cfalcon.... thats a mistake
sonic is faster than captain falcon

maxieman

Smash Ace
Captain falcon ties sonic in running speed. yet sonic has faster special attacks. sonic ties falco in attack speed in air. fox has the fastest regular attacks. but the spin dash moves make overall sonic the fastest yet captain falcon will still own. ........ imo. =]

they probobly slowed him down since the demo... i mean come on 3X cfalcon.... thats a mistake
yes it has to be a mistake to let the fastest creature alive be faster than a racing Chuck Norris (as awesome as he is, he doesnt need speed to be kewl)

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
Sonic is supposed to be insanely fast on his feet, no-one is going to have a faster running speed than Sonic. However, It seems that Fox is faster in the air had has a slightly quicker moves. If you're talking raw velocity, Sonic wins hands-down, but for quick, fast moves, Fox most likely still wins there

spindash

Smash Ace
Nobody can ever take away the title of "The Fastest Thing Alive" from a character like Sonic the Hedgehog. Comparing Fox to Sonic is pathetic. While Fox is still a very, very, very fast character, Sonic is just that much faster. He captures the true essence of speed, and so that shall remain the same in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

The Adder

Smash Apprentice
Shadow's shoes bdo dthe same thing Sonic's shoes do, decrease friction so they don't catch fire while running. His just look cooler doing it.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
Physics nitpicking...

Shadow's shoes bdo dthe same thing Sonic's shoes do, decrease friction so they don't catch fire while running. His just look cooler doing it.
where'd you get that idea from? Friction is an essential force for an object such as a shoe.

Disclaimer: I know its video games and science really doesn't matter much to you, but I'll try a whack at it anyway.

[physics lesson] (see: Newton's three laws of motion)

Sonic's foot applies a force at an angle into the ground while running,

The normal force of the ground prevents Sonic's foot from sinking through or breaking the ground, Thus any force applied downward will react upward. If enough force is applied, the reactionary force of the ground can overcome gravity for a short time, or a jump. It is an ideal method to minimize contact with the ground and deal with only air resistance as an opposing force while moving forward.

Since Sonic applies the force of his foot at an angle behind him, one of the resolved vectors points behind him.
The friction of the ground reacts to the force of the foot, keeping the foot from sliding back.

Since the force of the foot is applied to the ground at an angle directed behind Sonic, the reactionary force of friction will react in the opposite direction, forward. Since there is very little opposing force, a forward acceleration is achieved[/physics lesson]

(What I bet you're thinking: :confused: :dizzy: :urg:)

A shoe is intended to amplify the reactionary force of friction with a tread on the sole of the shoe. I would think the intention of Sonic's shoes is the opposite of what you claim. Without extraordinarily high friction soles, Sonic would slip and slide rather than be able to perform the feats of acrobatics he has shown.

But of course this is video-games we're talking about; for all they care, they can throw-out the laws of physics and substitute their own if they choose. I'm really just nitpicking, don't take it personally, or even seriously if you choose.

Ruggeth

Smash Journeyman

Shadow had little rockets on the bottom of his shoes. Hence why his running style was the form of rollerskating.

Plus most of his notable speed was from the chaos emeralds. Sonic > Shadow.

As for the fox vs sonic, uh.. I'd have to say Sonic. Though fox is a quick guy in the air, sonic is still the very mascot for speed. And now he's in brawl.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Sonic is supposed to be insanely fast on his feet, no-one is going to have a faster running speed than Sonic. However, It seems that Fox is faster in the air had has a slightly quicker moves. If you're talking raw velocity, Sonic wins hands-down, but for quick, fast moves, Fox most likely still wins there
I don't really get this at all. Seeing as Sonic's spin dash moves are all very fast when they're charged.

Ruggeth

Smash Journeyman
It's been said that Sonic was slower in his spin dash move than his actual running speed.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I don't really get this at all. Seeing as Sonic's spin dash moves are all very fast when they're charged.
the spin dash is one of the special moves, I don't factor Fox's illusion for his speed at all, if that were the case, then Fox would win. but this is disregarding specials. doesn't sonic take a little time to wind up the spin dash? I would think so (may be wrong, need to check)

The Adder

Smash Apprentice
where'd you get that idea from? Friction is an essential force for an object such as a shoe.

Disclaimer: I know its video games and science really doesn't matter much to you, but I'll try a whack at it anyway.

[physics lesson] (see: Newton's three laws of motion)

Sonic's foot applies a force at an angle into the ground while running,

The normal force of the ground prevents Sonic's foot from sinking through or breaking the ground, Thus any force applied downward will react upward. If enough force is applied, the reactionary force of the ground can overcome gravity for a short time, or a jump. It is an ideal method to minimize contact with the ground and deal with only air resistance as an opposing force while moving forward.

Since Sonic applies the force of his foot at an angle behind him, one of the resolved vectors points behind him.
The friction of the ground reacts to the force of the foot, keeping the foot from sliding back.

Since the force of the foot is applied to the ground at an angle directed behind Sonic, the reactionary force of friction will react in the opposite direction, forward. Since there is very little opposing force, a forward acceleration is achieved[/physics lesson]

(What I bet you're thinking: :confused: :dizzy: :urg:)

A shoe is intended to amplify the reactionary force of friction with a tread on the sole of the shoe. I would think the intention of Sonic's shoes is the opposite of what you claim. Without extraordinarily high friction soles, Sonic would slip and slide rather than be able to perform the feats of acrobatics he has shown.

But of course this is video-games we're talking about; for all they care, they can throw-out the laws of physics and substitute their own if they choose. I'm really just nitpicking, don't take it personally, or even seriously if you choose.

His shoes decrease friction, not remove it. They allow him to run at his top speeds without injuring himself, that's what Soap Shoes do. And he does slip and slide, he isn't capable of a quick stop without grinding his heals into the ground and when you try to walk with him his legs go crazy.

Shadow's shoe's hover, they do not had to his speed. They puch against the ground so that no actual matter does. This removes the threat of injuring Shadow the same way Sonic's shoes do.

Honestly (this is addressed to Ruggeth) can you skate at a speed in excess of Mach 1? His shoes don't break the sound barrier, he does, the shoes just maake it so he doesn't kill himself.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Sonic > Falcon > Rest.

I figure if anyone is going to have any competition with Sonic in speed what so ever, it's Captain Falcon. The real reason for that is he was meant to be the speed demon for Nintendo once he hit Smash Bros, obvious since he is the fastest. I suspect Sonic will have him beat by a pretty decent margin, but Falcon will be the closest to Sonic since he has always been based around movement speed.

PeteBeast

Smash Apprentice
Yeah good point... Where is C. Falcon anyways? I hope they change his costume a bit, seeing the same from N64 and GC then Wii wouldn't be too appealing. Grapics wise he looked excellent in Melee though.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
if no1 else noticed sonics moves are extremely weak and hes not that fast well at least not 2 me i think fox wins.
I believe PeteBeast was specifically referring to running speed. Sonic certainly bests Fox there.

pezmaniac

Smash Rookie
i think sonic will be the new fastest character, which is why I want to be him, but I'm probabaly still going to stick to fox too

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
You can't outjump gravity.
You can't outmuscle a tank.
YOU CAN'T OUTRUN SONIC.

Do I need to get the Gimpyquote in here?

As far as atacking speed is concerned, Eforallers say that his moves are extremely fluid and comboable, so I'm thinking that means they must be pretty **** fast. Maybe not as fast as Fox, but probably quicker than Mario's. Can anyone from Eforall clarify that last bit?

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Here you go:

Attacking speed: High
Sonic's moves are quite fast, and comboable just as well. He does not outshine(go nuts, I said shine) Fox in attacking speed, but he sure is fast in alot of attacks. Yes, his spindash outshines Jigglypuff's spin. But its not as fast as his running speed, though...but its just as fast as Jigglypuff's fully charged spin!

Running speed: Fastest
Alright, here's why Captain Falcon or Fox will NOT be able to beat him. Sonic can run at 753 miles a hour at will, without help of anything else. Captain Falcon is a mere human, and his F zero machine is already slightly slower than Sonic can run in real time. How do you expect him to keep up without it. As for Fox, he's slower than Captain Falcon, and Captain Falcon was just explained.

Attacking Power: Moderate
Sonic's attack aren't all really powerfull, but they're quite fast and comboable, and certain moves certainly can be deadly. He doesn't kill at low percentages, but is he's quite good at edge guarding, so thats an option.

knuckles_18

Smash Cadet
Sonic should be faster and looking at the videos it looks like he defiantly is which leaves the question is fox slow then he was in melee or is sonic just to fast.

Sonic is faster than Fox, but his attacks are weaker. His KO Potential isn't that great. Fox is Slower, is attacks d average damage. His KO potential is decent This anylisis is the basc gist of Fox and Sonic. But who attacks faster?........

MetaKnight.

; )

Top Bottom