• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Speculation- Mario Tennis unlockables model for SBU

Mimic88

Smash Cadet
In Mario Tennis, new characters are unlocked by participating in a monthly tournament. Those who win get to have the new character a month before everyone else. This could open the portal for tons of DLC characters.

I speculate that we will see this model extended to SBU. It might not be every month- but there will likely be some tournament events with a special unlockable as a prize for participating.

This model could also make the competitive scene a little more interesting, by providing additional tournament opportunities and ways to compete. Perhaps there will even be special tournament rules like coin battles, or a select pool of characters.

I bet Mario Tennis was a great way to design, build out and test this model before pushing it out to a bigger franchise.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
In Mario Tennis, new characters are unlocked by participating in a monthly tournament. Those who win get to have the new character a month before everyone else. This could open the portal for tons of DLC characters.

I speculate that we will see this model extended to SBU. It might not be every month- but there will likely be some tournament events with a special unlockable as a prize for participating.

This model could also make the competitive scene a little more interesting, by providing additional tournament opportunities and ways to compete. Perhaps there will even be special tournament rules like coin battles, or a select pool of characters.

I bet Mario Tennis was a great way to design, build out and test this model before pushing it out to a bigger franchise.
Wait, Mario Tennis Aces' DLC tournament characters are permanently available? I heard they were only available from their tournaments.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Wait, Mario Tennis Aces' DLC tournament characters are permanently available? I heard they were only available from their tournaments.
If they're not from the tournaments you can get some usually around the first of every month. We just got a new character yesterday

Top Bottom