• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spacing?

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
I'm new here so forgive me If I ask but, what is spacing?

(I know I'm going to get an answer saying something obvious:urg:...)

bobson

Smash Lord
Spacing is hitting with the tip of Marth's fsmash and still getting shieldgrabbed by King Dedede.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
Spacing is positioning yourself so that you abuse your character's furthest range while staying out of range of your opponents attacks

Think Marth and his tipped attacks

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Spacing is landing the absolute tip of Ike's fair and still getting shieldgrabbed by King Dedede.
No.

NO.

NO!

King Dedede DOES NOT shieldgrab a fully spaced Ike Fair. Will you people not cite Ike and then proceed to get it wrong?

bobson

Smash Lord
King Dedede DOES NOT shieldgrab a fully spaced Ike Fair. Will you people not cite Ike and then proceed to get it wrong?
Alright, sorry, my bad. I should've actually tested it first rather than going on rumor mill.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Alright, sorry, my bad. I should've actually tested it first rather than going on rumor mill.
Eh, no worries. It's just rather frustrating to have these odd things floating around about your character that seem to be the general product of misunderstanding and/or hate.

For future reference, the only character who can shieldgrab Ike's fully spaced Fair is Olimar with a White or Blue Pikmin.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Spacing is finding the optimal range for your character in a given match-up and keeping that distance approximately.

Pick a character, with a character to explain we can give you more specifics.

Spacing is positioning yourself so that you abuse your character's furthest range while staying out of range of your opponents attacks

Think Marth and his tipped attacks
That's not true of all characters, some characters aren't safe at their farthest range, plus sometimes they wanna get closer to lock up their opponents.

Marth's spacing is generally pretty consistent because of his range advantage, but for most characters it varies depending on the match-up.

Fatalzyntax

Smash Apprentice
keeping safe distance away and barely hitting with your attacks to try and limit your opponents actions
or you can read my sig :)

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Spacing means a bunch of different things. It can mean hitting with the tip of your attacks, or just simply dancing out of your opponent's attack range and waiting for an opening. In general, though, spacing just means being out of range from your opponent's attacks, and in many cases using one of your moves to dissuade your opponent from following you. You can space while being on the offensive, though. A GnW can space by using a retreating Bair to keep himself from being shieldgrabbed upon landing, or to simply spam it and keep his opponent at bay. Marth is the most common example of spacing, due to his attacks requiring a "tipper" in order to be most effective. Marth outranges most characters due to his gigantic blade, and can thus approach or retreat with his large Fair. Fair's tipper generally outranges most aerial attacks in the game, and thus by approaching and hitting with the end of it, he's keeping himself out of harm's way.

In other words, a Marth with good spacing will hit with the tip of his Fair and thus avoid retaliation by most characters, even if he hits a shield in most cases.

However, a Marth with worse spacing may hit with the center of the blade while approaching. This allows him to be hit by other character's attacks and get beaten out from their attack hitting first, or he may hit a shield and get shieldgrabbed due to being so close to his opponent.

Top Bottom