• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Southwest Ohio Tournament - Hillsboro, OH - 09/08/07

daddy neptune

Smash Apprentice
Date: Saturday, September 8th, 2007

Where: Alley 21
1086 North High Street
Hillsboro, OH 45133
Mapquest Directions
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=1086+North+High+Street&city=Hillsboro&state=OH&zipcode=45133

Time: Doors open for casual at 10:30 AM ET

Games:
Street Fighter 3: 3S (PS2): Noon
Guitar Hero I and II (PS2): Noon
Guilty Gear X2 AC (PS2): Noon
Super Smash Bros Melee (GC): 1pm
Marvel Vs Capcom 2 (DC): 3pm
Capcom Vs SNK 2 (PS2): 3Pm
Tekken 5 DR (PS3): 3Pm
ST (Tentative, based on demand)

Any possible additions to be decided based on demand.

Venue Fee: $10
Game Fee per Game entry: $10

Pots will be paid out: 70/20/10%

All Games are subject to change if minimum requirements per game are not met (8). Due to a new location and venue in the Ohio scene, nothing is taken for granted. Please pre-register if you are coming so that we can verify the games that will be hosted. The location is neutral for everyone from Kentucky to Columbus.

If total attendance is greater than 49, we will be offering a first place bonus of $50 for Marvel, Third Strike and Tekken 5.

If one of the games listed above does not meet the minimum requirements for its own tournament, it will be dropped and the $50 dollar bonus will go to Smash, Guitar Hero, CvS 2, GGXXAC (in that order).

The venue is nice with a big screen on which we can host the finals. Again, since I'm trying something new in this region, all things are tentative, so we hope for a great turnout.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice, send me a pm or post it publicly. We guarantee you will leave with cash should you win.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rules:

All tournaments will be double-elimination format. 2/3, 3/5 semis & LF, 4/7 GF.
We're using the Evo standard for all games.

This is a BYOC (Bring Your Own Controller/Converter/Joystick) event.

The following rules apply:

If the start button is hit or a malfunction with your equipment occurs, causing the game to pause or reset during a match within the first 5 secs, the match WILL be restarted. However if after the 5 sec point then your opponent will have the opportunity to take the 1st win or reset the match, advantage or not.

Button mapping is allowed. Having 2 or 3 buttons combined into ONE is banned
(e.g. No 3x punch/kick mapped to L1, etc.). GG/DR are exempt from this rule.

3S -- Winner keeps the same character, but can change super art. Loser can change everything. JUDGEMENT CANNOT DECIDE A MATCH!!

MvC2 -- No game-breaking glitches (you know what they are); Juggs' glitch allowed. Winner keeps the same team but can change order, loser can change everything.

T5:DR -- Players must agree on a stage. If not, random stage select will be in effect. Winner keeps same character, loser may change.

ST -- no Akuma, Turbo 3

SSBM --
-- Double Elimination bracket
-- Matches are best of 3, semis and loser's finals are best of 5, with grand finals best of 7
-- 4 stock, 8-minute limit
-- Ties broken by lives, then percentage
-- Items OFF
-- Teams $10/person, singles $10/person

-Stages/Characters:
-- Stages limited to the 6 neutral stages for random, others open for counterpicks.
-- Neutral stages: Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium.
-- Stages banned: Yoshi's Island, MKI, MKII, Venom, Big Blue, Flatzone, Icicle Mountain, Hyrule Temple, Fourside, Brinstar Depths, Termina, Onett and Yoshi's Island 64
-- Dave's Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single match, either by random select or by picking
-- Stage Strike: Each person strikes one stage for the entire set. This stage must be selected at the beginning of the match, after initial characters have been chosen.
-- Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters
-- Double Blind pick may be called at any time

-Team Specific Rules:
-- Team Attack ON
-- Life stealing allowed
-- Fountain of Dreams and Mute City banned

-Other SSBM Rules:

-- Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), excluding cosmetic changes (paint, stickers, different colored plastic, etc.), are BANNED. If you are found to be using a modded controller, you will not be able to use that controller for the rest of the tournament.
--Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch that freezes the match or makes it in any way unfinishable, are banned. Using them will result in the immediate forfeiture of the match.
-- Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath) to excessively stall a match is banned

Guitar Hero

Songs from Guitar Hero I, II and 80's edition will be drawn at random. Tournament format will be double elimination with a traditional bracket setup and with each round consisting of one song.

Two PS2's will be dedicated to running GH 1, and 1 PS2 for GH II and 1 PS2 for GH80s. In the event that a GH 1 song is selected, each player will play the same song through on expert difficulty with the final score deciding the victor. GH 2 and 80's will be played in pro-face off, again, the highest score deciding the victor. In the rare event of a tie, both players will advance to the next round to be reshuffled into the brackets.

Grand Finals will be 2/3. Again, in the nearly impossible event of a tie, a song will be randomly selected and played in sudden death until a winner is decided.

EDIT NOTE* Guitar Hero I songs will be removed from the song pool.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please pre-register your Smashboards name, city/st and games if you plan to attend, so brackets can be filled in advance. Registering the day of is allowed but not encouraged -- don't complain about where you fit into the bracket. If you're traveling, give us the names of your crew and their games.

EDIT: Anyone who can bring anything (TVs, Consoles [do not need DCs]) please do so. If you intend to bring anything, PM me so I know what additional supplies I need to fetch. Thanks :D

Pre-Reg List

Daddyneptune
Reside
Paradigm
Sliq
Soap
Defyyy
Mac
Buttram2006
Big_Buttram
Dippin Dots
BO-D
Juke
Jiano
Kel
Overswarm
Ameer
Big D

I'll update the Pre-Reg list for SSBM and the other pre-reg games are on
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=135799

QUIVO

Smash Master
map quest says it's an hour away from my house right now. So if i can find people to go i might make it.

Sliq

Smash Master
GUNPUNCH! Will more than likely be attending this in some fashion or another.

Reside

Smash Apprentice
Something tells me that Sliq meant that he will be there, not this mysterious "GUNPUNCH" fellow.

soap

Smash Hero
I think "Gunpunch" is the name of their crew.

also, it looks like there is going to be a MGC in columbus on the 8th so i may just go to that and skip the 1.5 hour drive. we can do that moneymatch some other time avery, unless you guys decide to come to that instead, its about the same drive time to either one from your house.

Reside

Smash Apprentice
ok sliq, ill remember that.

Ill let you know soap if we decide to go to the one in Columbus.

smashvillain18

Smash Cadet
Yo Neptune, I Battle In Smash B. Then Again We've Battled Since I Found Out We're In The Same Appartment Complex. I Want To Make It To The Tournament, But I Don't Know How To Get There Without A Car. If I Don't Make It Fellas, Good Luck To You All. And Hopefully, We'll Battle If Nintendo Makes Good On The Online Promise.

Sliq

Smash Master
I'm assuming it will be me, Kel, Overswarm, Ameer, Big D, Juke, and Jiano.

Obkb

Smash Rookie
Hi guys. I'm Obkb. I'm the one running the tournament next week. Thanks to Daddyneptune for playing my SRK liaison.

I wasn't expecting a turn-out this big, to be honest. But don't get me wrong, it's a great thing, I'm just short on TVs / GCs to host a smash tournament this big. We now have 16 pre-regs to say nothing of the people who will show that didn't register.

So saying, can anyone of you bring extra TVs, Gamecubes and copies of the game? I would like to run at least 4 setups at once. If you guys can bring anything, let me know so I can get everything nailed down. Thanks.

-Obkb

Sliq

Smash Master
Hi guys. I'm Obkb. I'm the one running the tournament next week. Thanks to Daddyneptune for playing my SRK liaison.

I wasn't expecting a turn-out this big, to be honest. But don't get me wrong, it's a great thing, I'm just short on TVs / GCs to host a smash tournament this big. We now have 16 pre-regs to say nothing of the people who will show that didn't register.

So saying, can anyone of you bring extra TVs, Gamecubes and copies of the game? I would like to run at least 4 setups at once. If you guys can bring anything, let me know so I can get everything nailed down. Thanks.

-Obkb
So, exactly how many TV's did you plan on having for smash? If you WANT to run 4 (which, unless you have only 30 people show up, will be grossly insufficient), and you are asking for setups, I have to assume you have less than 4. I had 3 TV's at my smashfest for fux sake, and this a tournament.

How many people did you expect to show up? Not to come off sounding like a jerk, but don't you think you should have been tracking the progress of the tournament, as opposed to poking your head in less than a week away from the event?

Are going to do Teams and Singles, with only 4 setups, starting at 1 P.M., and expect to get them both done? That seems unlikely to me, considering my past experience at tournaments. I may be wrong, and you might be able to get things done fine, it just seems unlikely if you only have 4 setups and get between 30-40 people at this.

I'll be bringing a TV, but my Gamecube was stolen a while ago, and I'll be ****ed if I bring my Wii to this. I'm sort of disappointed in the lack of preparation and foresight in the preparation of this tournament, and can only hope it will be run better than it was planned.

I'm sorry to come off as being abrasive, I just assumed you knew what you were doing (which is my fault, because you should never assume anything...like the turnout to a tournament, for example). In retrospect, I should have been more interrogative about exactly how this was being run. Hopefully everything will work out fine, and I apologize if you think I'm being a jerk about this.

daddy neptune

Smash Apprentice
I think he didn't realize this was going to be big. Smash was going to get shut down until I posted this on SB. Right now smash as the most pre-regs.

Reside

Smash Apprentice
Yea, when this tournament was announced smash was prolly going to be one of the smaller games.
Daddy, pre-req - Nano, Dayton OH for smashems

Obkb

Smash Rookie
To Sliq.

Yes, I have been following the progression of this tournament diligently. Daily, as a matter of fact. I've kept up with it and have promptly posted all the pre-regs. As of last week, Smash was going to be dropped altogether due to insufficient turn-out, but then I got bombed with name after name in the pre-regs. I didn't just "check this thread" a week ago. I've been following it since it was posted by Daddy Neptune. Look at the post dates yourself and if you notice anything, it is the sporadic posts. It went from 4 to 25 in practically 7 days.

So yes, this barrage has overwhelmed me and that is why I posted for help in supplies. That is a logical course, no? If not, tell me how you would have done it. I'm doing all that I can to make sure this is being run smoothly. I don't play smash and I won't be making a single cent off coordinating this tournament. So if you want to complain about it without offering constructive advice, that's fine... But I ask you and your community to help me if you can.

Besides all of that, I don't generally keep a stock of 16 gamecubes, tvs and copies of Smash around...

Edit:
Assuming 30 come, how many setups would it require for me to run this tournament efficiently? To be honest with you, I never would have guessed smash would draw this many. I was *expecting* maybe 12.

Reside

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, 10$ for a venue fee is a bit much. Can I ask what thats going toward? Maybe with 3x the number of people you were expecting to come, lowering the venue fee to 5$ will be more reasonable. Would bringing a setup be enough to cover for the venue fee?

Obkb

Smash Rookie
Hmm, 10$ for a venue fee is a bit much. Can I ask what thats going toward? Maybe with 3x the number of people you were expecting to come, lowering the venue fee to 5$ will be more reasonable. Would bringing a setup be enough to cover for the venue fee?

How about this, anyone who can bring smash setup, I will need around 8, I will waive the entire venue fee as long as the entire draw is over 58, I will reduce it to $5 if not.
Does that sound fair?

The venue fee... I explained that on SRK. Our location is kinda strange and new. The guy was not charging me up front any kind of rent for the venue because when I proposed it, despite doing research and asking around, we (I) couldn't guarantee him a specific draw. I imagine if this tournament is successful, the next time it will be $5 if everyone who registered does show up. He was, the owner, taking all the risk onto himself and making it my responsibility to make sure everyone came away happy. Not necessarily an easy task, as Sliq is letting me know.

I certainly wasn't expecting a draw this big. Since smash is far and away the biggest draw, how does this sound?

Without giving away all the numbers, it's like this:

The primary purpose of the tournament was to increase interest in 2D fighters and Tekken. Those are my interests, thus my sole incentive for the tournament. The house needed the $10 fee to cover themselves if the turnout failed.

We can do one of two things with smash, as long as the turnout hovers above 20:

I can:

A) If venue fee stays the way it is:
Offer a $50 first place bonus for 1st place team OR singles winners With (15-20 entries).

if turnout is over 25 (smash specific), I can do $50 for both. Adding $5 each way with each additional SMASH ONLY participant.

B) Waive the venue fee for anyone who brings a setup

C) Cut the venue fee to $5 per person who brings a setup, and add $25 to first place singles OR doubles, or $25 to each if turnout is above 25(smash specific). The prize pool will be increased by $5 each way per each additional entry over 25

D) Make the venue fee for SMASH ONLY players $5 only, or waive it entirely to the first 8 who bring a setup and put no venue money back into the prize pool.

Do you guys/gals understand that and it's not too complicated?

The money has to go somewhere other than me or the house, I'm doing my best to put as much of the venue fee as possible back into the prize pools for the players. I'm trying to simultaneously give the house about $300 (so that I can get in good and establish that this is a good idea for them to do again in the future) and return the money to the players.

Again, I stress, depending on the turnout, I will let the players know how the funds settle and make sure that everyone is satisfied and also, I will be keeping none of the money myself, unless I should place somewhere :)

I hope that doesn't sound shady in any way.

In the meantime, decide what you want to do, and I'll post here Wed how I will do it. I'm trying to be fair to everyone and increase incentive/reward to come.

Reside

Smash Apprentice
Doesnt sound shady at all, sounds like your doing an excellent job actually. Dont worry about sliq.

Almost all of those options sound good, most tournaments that ive been to the venue fee was around 5$ and entry fee was around 15$. That being said were are paying the same amount and unless we place we never see it again. And basically what your saying is that if there is enough people, the pot for smash might end up being about the same as if you changed it to 5/15$. And if there arent enough people the 10$ venue fee will be needed for the venue.

only option that I didnt like, or needed to be changed is giving 50$ straight to winner. 70/20/10 is steep enough for 1st place that if less then 20 people come and you get 3rd you dont even get your money back.
So if you were going with an option like that giving a +$ to smash you should put the money into the pot so it gets split up 70/20/10.

If I were in your position, after sliq's post and maybe even mine, i would be alittle stressed out. But honestly its not a big deal at all, If were not happy with the entry fee then SB people wont come and you will get the 12 people you expected mostly from SRK. If we all come and there arent enough setups just make sure you get through all of the matches as quick as possible and all of the 2D fighters can laugh at us while we sit there.

Reside

Smash Apprentice
I MAY be able to bring one cube/smash but how are we doing on tv's?

Sliq

Smash Master
To Sliq.

Yes, I have been following the progression of this tournament diligently. Daily, as a matter of fact. I've kept up with it and have promptly posted all the pre-regs. As of last week, Smash was going to be dropped altogether due to insufficient turn-out, but then I got bombed with name after name in the pre-regs. I didn't just "check this thread" a week ago. I've been following it since it was posted by Daddy Neptune. Look at the post dates yourself and if you notice anything, it is the sporadic posts. It went from 4 to 25 in practically 7 days.

So yes, this barrage has overwhelmed me and that is why I posted for help in supplies. That is a logical course, no? If not, tell me how you would have done it. I'm doing all that I can to make sure this is being run smoothly. I don't play smash and I won't be making a single cent off coordinating this tournament. So if you want to complain about it without offering constructive advice, that's fine... But I ask you and your community to help me if you can.

Besides all of that, I don't generally keep a stock of 16 gamecubes, tvs and copies of Smash around...

Edit:
Assuming 30 come, how many setups would it require for me to run this tournament efficiently? To be honest with you, I never would have guessed smash would draw this many. I was *expecting* maybe 12.
I'm sorry that you took my concerns about what I was spending my money on so personal. I should just blindly shower your tournament with my money. -_-;

I am sorry that you took it personally, but I don't see how my concerns and comments are out of line. Since your first post was a week before the tournament, asking for help, I just assumed you poked your head in a week before the tournament, went, "OH SHI," and then posted. You may very well have been checking this thread daily, it just didn't appear that way.

From the start, you should have posted asking for setups instead of assuming you had it covered, because you can never have too many setups. If everyone that came brought one, then you could have tournament and friendly TV's, and no one would be pissed that there were too many TV's.

Since you don't play smash, you might want to ask for help/advice in running the tournament, since you are unfamiliar with the smash scene and such. I would've been more than glad to help.

4 TV's might be enough, assuming you hound people about not playing friendlies and you make sure that as soon as a match is over, you get the results and assign the next match, all of which require a great deal if effort on your part. Some smashers are not so good about helping to run things efficiently. -_-;

I would recommend 6-8, but seeing as how you were assuming to only get 12, you're probably going to be relying on people to bring setups. I'll be bringing a TV, and if I can get Overswarm to bring his Gamecube, I will be bringing one setup.

I do apologize if you took what I said personally. I just wanted to see how "invested" in this tournament you were, I'd hate to waste my money on a bad tournament experience.

Edit: Also you might want to add the following to the pre-reg list. Kel, Overswarm, Big D, Juke, Ameer, and Jiano. I'm pretty sure they will all be attending as well. I'll find out for sure though.

Edit: Kel can't go due to work.

Impp

Smash Ace
Shoot, If I go to this and get knocked out by 6 I could still make it to the Midnight Gaming one in Columbus at 8PM.
Isn't that nice?
Also, I need a team mate for doubles. I'm freaking awesome BTW.

Top Bottom