• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

south carolina tournaments

Titan44

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. With this anime store opening up and me finally getting an apartment, there should be a lot more smash going on in the area soon. I'll still be working like crazy, but with a bit of planning I can be available for at least a few hours on pretty much any given day. I don't really play anymore though, so I don't have a Cube. Unless I randomly find a Wii for sale, someone else would have to supply the system and stuff.

Icege

Smash Apprentice
Terrell, if you'd like, I could possibly leave my Cube (along with memory card and controllers) with you so you've got something to do. I don't use it nearly as much as my PS2, and I don't play Smash, Super Mario Strikers, or Naruto 4 by myself. :p

I've still got to discuss the exacts on the tournaments at the store, but it's currently looking like:

Tu: T5DR, CvS2, MvC2
Th: SSBM, 3S, VF5/N4

If Northwoods gets the MvC2 machine back, we'll continue having the RanBats there. Unfortunately, there's been a bit of an outcry from the guys to move it to console because of the controls at the arcade.

OyG

Smash Rookie
Well erm.. I'd like to learn, but have no gamecube nor copy of the game. Guess I'll have to go over to someone's house.

LEminicon

Smash Rookie
Another Smasher in GWD???

Dude, if there's a tournament in Greenwood, I would have to take pains NOT to be there!
We should totally have one!
SC smashers have to keep going!
Hey man were are you located?

OyG

Smash Rookie
Yo , Tak (From Tekkenzaibatsu) is going to have a Round Robin tournament at his place (columbia) on April 20th. That's a friday! Says it' starts at 7:00 pm.

Games: t5, 3s, SSBM, GG, CvS2
Prizes: Prizes will be dependent on the number of entries. The split will be 70/20/10 for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd respectively.
Cost: $2 for door, $5 for each game.

Questions? Here's his info.
(864)982-5496
E-mail: mg42286@hotmail.com
aim: hasutak

OyG

Smash Rookie
right off I-26

his address:
1052 Pavilion Towers
Columbia, SC, 29201

aim:
hasutak

basically, if you take I-26 all the way in, it goes straight into cola, the second you get off the highway you take a left, and you're there. 10 minutes away from USC campus.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Awesome thanks man I will definitely be there, that is SO CLOSE to me. Can't wait to see new smashers, hopefully. I wanna make Columbia better.

I will also 5 dollar money match anyone there >:D

OyG

Smash Rookie
OOPS! Announcement:

Round Robin gonna be on Saturday the 21st. Start around 5:00 pm. Sign ups and casuals start around 4:00.

So don't show up on Friday, yo!

OyG

Smash Rookie
so.. the guys in greer, I'm getting my GC tomorrow and Smash Bros..

OyG

Smash Rookie
There's planning of another Down South Clash in the upstate.
I'll post details once we get the 'talk' underway.

budahboi

Smash Apprentice
Good news Smashers!

Anime Charleston will be opening up off of Dorchester Rd at Cross County Rd where the Alltel offices currently are. The owner is a very good friend of mine, and will be renting out his viewing room so that we can run weekly RanBats. The store should hopefully be open in May (the online portion will be ready this week!) just in time for our summer season. Most likely we'll have T5DR and CvS2 on Tuesdays @ Cyberstation in the Northwoods Mall, while on Thursdays we'll do Smash (Brawl or Melee, whichever is out) and Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike on Thursdays at 6pm. More details to come :)
any update on this?

Icege

Smash Apprentice
The store is under construction at the moment. It's located off of Dorchester Rd between Ashley Phosphate and Cross Country in the Forest Hills Plaza. It's in it's own separate building. They're aiming at an opening on July 1st. I'll get some more info in the next week or two.

The online portion of the store, however, is open. There are also forums there which you can get some more information.

http://animecharleston.com

Icege

Smash Apprentice
Eddy's store, Anime Charleston, opened up today. It's off of Dorchester Rd between Cross County and Ashley Phosphate in Forest Hills Plaza. You make a right if you're coming from Cross County Rd (it'll be on your left), and you make a left if you're coming from Ashley Phosphate Rd (it'll be on your right).

It's a really, really nice set-up. Plenty of manga, anime, and character goods. They've also got assorted Japanese snacks and sodas.

The viewing room is really nice, well air conditioned. He's got a 92" projection screen on the way this week, which they're telling him has no lag on it.

We're still discussing the set-up for the tournaments. Right now we're looking at once a month, with entry fee depending on the amount of people that show up. Prizes will be drawn raffle-style, and depending on the entrants will depend on the prices. 1st place only gets to draw. If there are enough people, there can even be a free basic membership for 6mo ($50 value!). Free DVDs, mangas, patches, figurines, wall scrolls, etc are all possible as well. Again, this depends on the amount of people that show. We're looking at as much as $10 a head to as little as $5.

The game line-up as of right now is: Naruto 4 (GC), SSBM (GC), GGAC (PS2), T5DR (PS3), MvC2 (PS2), CvS2 (PS2), and 3S (PS2). The line-up is subject to change depending on time and demand. MvC2 can be on DC if a copy and converters are supplied.

One thing I would like to stress is that when we get to finally do this, attitudes must be kept in check. That means if you lose, if something doesn't go your way, something doesn't come out, just suck it up and move on (no huffing, puffing, grumbling, *****ing, moaning, slamming controllers, etc). If we've got people being bad sports in there, it can run off potential gamers as well as lose us our hosting privilege. Cheering is acceptable, but keep it from being personal and also watch your mouth. It's a family store afterall.

The Grand Opening is today. There are free food and drinks! Gogogogo! They're open until 8pm

http://animecharleston.com

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Whoa, what did I miss in this topic?

Iceage! Remember me? Of course you do. :p

You should know Spin Jump and I live in the neighborhood right next to that anime shop. I'm in Clemson now for college, but I'll be coming back to Charleston in the summer. Of course by then Brawl will be out. If we still do a social event I'll be sure to drag Spin Jump out there when I can. I know how hard it is for everyone to contact him lol. Be we'll all be sure to exchange Wii Codes.

Titan, long time no play. I'm sure everyone has improved and I know I have as well. I'd love to play you again.

You guys really need to hit up Spin Jump. He's getting rusty. Keep calling him! Freaking PC games are taking away his SSB mentality. Try getting in touch with him Tuesday or Wednesday night. Sunday from 12:00 PM to before 4:00 PM. He is usually "free."

So what is going on everyone? Is there a tournament in SC that's going to happen?

MunkeyX2g. When is the next Munkaid?

Icege

Smash Apprentice
I have off Monday and Wednesday nights. Wednesdays are best for me.

November 14th is going to be "Game Night" for SSBM at AnimeCharleston. I'm not sure on the details. I'll ask somebody who's involved with the store to maybe come here and post some more information regarding this.

Dan2

Smash Apprentice
Hey! I'll be running a tournament before brawl comes out here at Clemson University since I just found out that Clemson will rent out a room for free.

The date isn't set, so I'll be taking suggestions as to when to hold it so the most people could show up.

Issue #1: We have a limited number of sets and televisions that we can set up in this room. I know of maybe 3 setups that I can rely on being there, so we'd need a number of people to bring their own setup or at least part of one.

Issue #2: Space. The room itself is huge. (It's an auditorium) However, the tables (if you can call them that) are set in place and so are the seats, so it would be a bit awkward to play smash on them unless we moved into the two rooms immediately surrounding it.
I'll be looking into what other rooms I can get in order to see which would be the best for smash.

Pro's #1: If we can get it to work correctly, we can project the image on one of the TV's to a screen for a lot of people to see.

What do you guys think?

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
In short Dan2 is asking...

1. What are some good dates for you guys?
  2. Is anyone willing to contribute stations to help the tournament run more smooth and more enjoyable?

It might be good to list "good," "bad," and "possible" dates.

Also, from talking to him, you guys might want to state what you are expecting from the tournament. Singles are given. Some good questions to answer is...

1. How many people from your area do you know that ARE going to come?
  2. What do you expect the schedule to be like?
  3. How long do you want or expect the tournament to last? How long are you going to stay?
  4. Are you guys want to go just for singles and have the rest of the time for friendlies?
  5. Do you guys want (and are going) to do doubles?

Some interesting events that may be possible I think would be...

1. SC Smashers Power Rankings List Creation/Confirming (Small exclusive SC tournament to determine SC Smasher Rankings. Process will be 3 Matches Round Robin Record Based. Rankings will be based on the "records" and any ties will result in a Best 2 of 3 tie breaker)
  2. Battle of the Carolinas (NC vs SC; equal group from each side with each member with four stocks; each side will form and order to go by and try to eliminate as many stock from the other side and move on to the next person with his/her "remaining stock," winner is the group with "stocks" remaining).
  3. Low Tiers Singles Tournament (maybe).

scha-k-47

Smash Journeyman
Greenville, SC (summer) West Chester, PA (school)
dumb question but would it be possible to have this event during Christmas break. Possibly sometime between Dec 16th and Jan 10th. If so i can likely provide 2 setups and housing for any OOS people at my house in Greenville or people who don't wanna drive back to their place after the tournament (looking at Austin and the Columbia crew along with yayuhz on this one).

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Actually that's not really a "dumb" question.

I would assume during Christmas break the campus would be close and the room will not be available. Early January is when classes start and people will be more concerned with school and deciding how their typical schedule will go.

As of right now I belive Dan2 says he is pretty sure the room is available during this time frame. A tournament first quarter of 2008 is possible, but uncertain.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Here's how I think a good tournament schedule for us will go in order...

• (Sign Up 1 Hour Prior to All Tournaments)

1) SSBM Doubles Tournament

• (Sign Up Available Until 30 Minutes Before Doubles Tournament Starts)

2) SSBM Singles Tournament

• (Sign Up Available Until 30 Minutes Before Singles Starts)

3) SSBM SC Smasher Rankings Tournament

• (Sign Up Available Until 30 Minutes Before Rankings Touranment Starts)
  • (Must Be Living in SC)

4) Free Play

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POSSIBLE EVENT IDEA...

SSBM Battle of the Carolinas (NC vs SC)

(Sign Up Available Until 30 Minutes Before Battle Starts)
(Must Live in NC or SC)
(Numbers of Members in Each Group Will be Equal and Limited)
(Group Will Decide Which Member Will Represent State and the Order in which Members Will Go)
(Participates Must Be Acceptable NC and SC Smashers by Their Group)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regular tournaments will strictly follow SSBM MLG Rules. The "SC Smasher Rankings Tournament" and if the"Battle of the Carolinas" happens they will follow MLG Rules for the stage and banned "glitches."

This is just my opinion of the the "summary" if you will how how I think the tournament should go ASSUMING it turns out pretty big. This does not include any other process such as possible Round Robins or breaks that may take place.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
hey Impact I'm gonna go ahead and say no to number 3 on your list. First off NC is way better than we will ever be. 2nd I'm pretty sure after their last tourney with you they aren't gonna come to another. That's just the impression I got from them. You might wanna just drop the carolina battle idea...

Uhhh everything else looks good. when we say "MLG rules" I assume we mean Final D, Yoshi's, Fountain, Poke, Dreamland, Battlefield, no f@g stages like Rainbow Cruise which USED to be on MLG (but not on the latest version)

I will try to come to this but November-December are lookin' rather busy for me.

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
Hahaha oh man, everlasting stays off the boards for a bit and then everlasting yay comes back, and he sees noobs thinking they're pro. Oh my, this is quite the scene.

If you are a noob and want to get wrecked, message me please.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Alright, I took out the "Carolina Battles" as a good event schedule to do for the tournament. It was just an idea.

Come on guys, you need to throw out what you want and expect and some dates so Dan2 can plan it out. Also it would be nice if some people can volunteer some stations.

Top Bottom