• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOURCE: Solid Snake Will Not Return To Smash + More..

Was it a good decision not to add Snake to Smash 4?

• Yes

Votes: 128 37.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 51 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 162 47.5%

• Total voters

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's more like he is apathetic towards fans and doesn't really care one way or another.
Yet several of the newcomers in both Brawl and this game were chosen due to fan demand.

Truly, he's apathetic towards the fans... :rolleyes:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's more like he is apathetic towards fans and doesn't really care one way or another.
Just because he can't meet the expectation of every fan, doesn't mean he doesn't care.

The man honestly does his best. Yes, he's made decisions that many of us, myself included, disagree with, sometimes with no obvious or adequate reasoning behind it.

But do you really think he would make 5 games (Wii U and 3DS being separate games from a development standpoint at least) for a franchise as difficult to work with as Smash Bros, if he didn't give a damn about the feelings of the people buying them?

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
51 Yes's there's too much disrespect here. the people that voted yes don't need to be playing Smash and are very Immature.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Yet several of the newcomers in both Brawl and this game were chosen due to fan demand.

Truly, he's apathetic towards the fans... :rolleyes:
Yes for brawl character wise not gameplay wise and for this game character wise like 3 .
Just because he can't meet the expectation of every fan, doesn't mean he doesn't care.

The man honestly does his best. Yes, he's made decisions that many of us, myself included, disagree with, sometimes with no obvious or adequate reasoning behind it.

But do you really think he would make 5 games (Wii U and 3DS being separate games from a development standpoint at least) for a franchise as difficult to work with as Smash Bros, if he didn't give a damn about the feelings of the people buying them?
catering to nintendos popular franchises isn't listening to every fan, it's listening to their MAIN fans, the fact their core fanbase was ignored is the problem.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yes for brawl for this game like 3 .

catering to nintendos popular franchises isn't listening to every fan, it's listening to their MAIN fans, the fact their core fanbase was ignored is the problem.
"Main" fans and "Core" fanbase literally mean the exact same thing......

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, fan #957463 would like to see Error from Zelda II as a playable character and is now very disappointed with the game.

What a sick ******* that Sakurai is, not listening to every fan in the world... :rolleyes:

I'm going a little overboard with the sarcasm, I admit, but my point is that it's literally impossible to satisfy every fan. Unless the game had a development cycle of what? 10 years?

I wouldn't want to wait such a long time for Super Smash Bros. Forever.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Don't really care about Snake or the Metal Gear series... so I'm not butthurt over his cut. I'd rather have Simon Belmont anyway.
Either Snake or no Konami Character at all.
Ohh Arcadenik you remember me now remember the Simon Belmont days *laughs*. I got an Trolling Warning over you.

Yarlick

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1246-8724-8858
Magnes, it's seems to me that Smash was primarly done to promote Nintendo series and with third parties they have a huge history with ( Megaman/Sonic).
I know MG has been on NES, that we got Ghost Babel on GB, that we had TTS and MGS3D, it doesn't mean that MGS had such a huge history as Megaman and Sonic.
I'm a huge MGS fan but didn't felt he was to come back. He has nothing to do in Smash 4.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Magnes, it's seems to me that Smash was primarly done to promote Nintendo series and with third parties they have a huge history with ( Megaman/Sonic).
I know MG has been on NES, that we got Ghost Babel on GB, that we had TTS and MGS3D, it doesn't mean that MGS had such a huge history as Megaman and Sonic.
I'm a huge MGS fan but didn't felt he was to come back. He has nothing to do in Smash 4.
So you got to have a "History Book" with Nintendo before you can be in one of there games?

Yarlick

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1246-8724-8858
It only makes sense that he wouldn't come back, and yes, if a series grows up more on another video game plateform which is not Nintendo, why would they bother to get Snake back. Konami've never really put any effort to bring MGS to Nintendo.

As for what you said Skyfox...Yes, you must have some history with Nintendo for that. That's how I see it, and it's my opinion, not a fact.
By the way. I play with Snake on Project M....so well. You can't say that I'm a hater or anything.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Well, fan #957463 would like to see Error from Zelda II as a playable character and is now very disappointed with the game.

What a sick ******* that Sakurai is, not listening to every fan in the world... :rolleyes:

I'm going a little overboard with the sarcasm, I admit, but my point is that it's literally impossible to satisfy every fan. Unless the game had a development cycle of what? 10 years?

I wouldn't want to wait such a long time for Super Smash Bros. Forever.
It's possible to satisfy 90% the rest are idiots anyway and want really dumb things like shrek or error guy like you mentioned. This easily could have been a near perfect roster but sakurai screwed it all up.

Solid Snake became important to smash the moment he was the first 3rd party rep, he paved the way for others not to mention an awesome trap Moveset as well as being a strong character that was used by many. Also he didn't get in in the first place due to konamis and nintendos relationship anyways so why should it matter.

Last edited:

Yarlick

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1246-8724-8858
Magnes, that's what I was refering to by" Konami didn't really bother to bring MGS to Nintendo".
But anyway, I feel it was to be that way for Snake, I don't say that I don't like the character it's the complete opposite.
As for the first "third party"...Didn't Nintendo had plans for Sonic back in Melee?

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's possible to satisfy 90% the rest are idiots anyway and want really dumb things like shrek or error guy like you mentioned. This easily could have been a near perfect roster but sakurai screwed it all up.
I'm pretty sure 90% of the fans are satisfied with the game existing in the first place.

A vocal minority loudly complaining on internet forums surely isn't 90% of the fans.

I get that you're disappointed with Wolf being cut. Guess what, I'm upset about all cuts, Wolf and Snake included. That doesn't mean this game doesn't cater to fans and the game doesn't have quality.

I remember being crushingly disappointed about Mewtwo's absence in Brawl, yet I played that game to death and had loads of fun playing it.

The roster is still varied and still caters to a ton of fans, if 1 million sales in Japan in three days are any indication.

:4littlemac::4villager::4palutena::4megaman::rosalina::4robinm::4robinf::4lucina::4pacman::4shulk:

And Bowser. Jr too.
This.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm sad Snake is out, but at least I won't be mourning excessively since there are other characters to experience.

:4lucina: :4robinf: :4pacman: :4samus: DHD

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I KNOW, RIGHT!?

That mean-intentioned jerk didn't give me Fawful and Sandbag! What an a-hole!
Requests like this make you the 10%

I'm pretty sure 90% of the fans are satisfied with the game existing in the first place.

A vocal minority loudly complaining on internet forums surely isn't 90% of the fans.

I get that you're disappointed with Wolf being cut. Guess what, I'm upset about all cuts, Wolf and Snake included. That doesn't mean this game doesn't cater to fans and the game doesn't have quality.

I remember being crushingly disappointed about Mewtwo's absence in Brawl, yet I played that game to death and had loads of fun playing it.

The roster is still varied and still caters to a ton of fans, if 1 million sales in Japan in three days are any indication.

This.
Please it's more like 60% of the fanbase is pleased saying otherwise is biased as hell.

You bring up wolf like it's the only reason I'm upset just look at all the main fanbases excluding Mario and pokemon, they were ignored, the competitive community for the most part was ignored and all of the cut veterans fanbases are ignored. There is far more important matters than just what I want. Were not a loud minority but a loud 40%.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Little Mac, Megaman, jr. and maybe shulk (due to japan bias/marketing not overall popularity). All those other guys fanbases were niche and not that big at all tbh. As for an Ac rep this was wanted but Tom Nook was more wanted than villager so I wouldn't count him.

Sakurai does what he wants and that's it.
>Rosalina and Pac-Man
>Niche fanbases

At this time, I think you're trolling.

And I'm pretty sure Tom Nook supporters are happy with Villager's inclusion.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
>Rosalina and Pac-Man
>Niche fanbases

Lol nobody wanted those guys their inclusion fanbases were minimal. Pacman has a large lovebase outside of smash but seriously his popularity to be included in this game was minimal.

I'm sure Ac fans were happy they we're noticed, nook should have been in brawl.

Last edited:

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999

Little Mac, Megaman, jr. and maybe shulk (due to japan bias/marketing not overall popularity). All those other guys fanbases were niche and not that big at all tbh.

Which is it? It's contradictory to complain that Sakurai is only listening to their "main" fans (whatever that is) and then complain about niche characters like Robin and Shulk getting in. You can't have it both ways.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
>Rosalina and Pac-Man
>Niche fanbases

I understand why many could be upset but it seems Magnes is borderline hating, and stating things like this roster is "bad" or brawl's roster was "good" when it's all subjective.

While some of his issues seem legit, it seems from the way he's saying it is hat samurai doesn't care for fans, making him come off as butthurt because he (like many) didn't get what they want. I don't get it: why do smash games seem to be solely based on their rosters?

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Which is it? It's contradictory to complain that Sakurai is only listening to their "main" fans (whatever that is) and then complain about niche characters like Robin and Shulk getting in. You can't have it both ways.
If you read the whole context he said sakurai couldn't please every fan, I agreed and said he could please 90% of the fans their corefan base and that they aren't every fan.

(Maybe i should have worded it better?)

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Requests like this make you the 10%

Please it's more like 60% of the fanbase is pleased saying otherwise is biased as hell.

You bring up wolf like it's the only reason I'm upset just look at all the main fanbases excluding Mario and pokemon, they were ignored, the competitive community for the most part was ignored and all of the cut veterans fanbases are ignored. There is far more important matters than just what I want. Were not a loud minority but a loud 40%.
Mostly subjective... you know what never mind I pretty sure I've had this same debate with you before.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I understand why many could be upset but it seems Magnes is borderline hating, and stating things like this roster is "bad" or brawl's roster was "good" when it's all subjective.

While some of his issues seem legit, it seems from the way he's saying it is hat samurai doesn't care for fans, making him come off as butthurt because he (like many) didn't get what they want. I don't get it: why do smash games seem to be solely based on their rosters?
Because smash was supposed to be an AllStar game it's these characters that captured Nintendo fans hearts as they represent their beloved franchises and when they are ignored it seems as if they weren't all that important to begin with according to Nintendo.

There are some of these characters in said beloved series that will never be playable due to those franchises mechanics but in smash bros dreams of playing certain characters can come to life.

Mostly subjective... you know what never mind I pretty sure I've had this same debate with you before.
You have.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Magnes, that's what I was refering to by" Konami didn't really bother to bring MGS to Nintendo".
But anyway, I feel it was to be that way for Snake, I don't say that I don't like the character it's the complete opposite.
As for the first "third party"...Didn't Nintendo had plans for Sonic back in Melee?
Just like Hideo Kojima, the creator of sonic at one point asked too. I don't know who asked first though. I'm guessing that if snake wasn't in brawl sonic probably wouldn't have made it either.

Yarlick

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1246-8724-8858
I don't think we should think of Snake as a trigger for the inclusion of Sonic, in fact I think it's the contrary...Sonic is still in Smash.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Because smash was supposed to be an AllStar game it's these characters that captured Nintendo fans hearts as they represent their beloved franchises and when they are ignored it seems as if they weren't all that important to begin with according to Nintendo.

There are some of these characters in said beloved series that will never be playable due to those franchises mechanics but in smash bros dreams of playing certain characters can come to life.

You have.
That's true. As well as excluding ridley and mewtwo being one of samurai's biggest mistakes. However, despite that, smash is obviously still doing amazing without those characters (not to mention this conversation is heading into subjective territory). Yes it was a mistake to not include other all stars, but I wouldn't say the frame (or it's director is bad for it).

Overall, you have some good points and whether you believe this game (roster or as a whole) is terrible, I just feel it's cause you're not satisfied with the content, which is understandable.

Though at he same time, it doesn't make Nintendo disregarding fans a fact. Seems as if a roster is all a game is to you (and like said, others). If not, then I am truly sorry.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I don't think we should think of Snake as a trigger for the inclusion of Sonic, in fact I think it's the contrary...Sonic is still in Smash.
So? Smash was for nintendo owned characters until Kojima asked for Snake in the game. After people found out that 3rd party characters could make it in, support for characters like sonic,megaman, and geno skyrocketed. I think sonic was the most requested character, so they added him and I think he caused the delay of brawl.
That also kinda helps debunk the argument "sakurai doesn't listen to his fans."

Last edited:

Yarlick

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1246-8724-8858
Yes it helps, I don't want to stay off topic, but like I said, it seemed to me that fans requested Sonic ever since Melee so it has nothing to do with Snake.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Yes it helps, I don't want to stay off topic, but like I said, it seemed to me that fans requested Sonic ever since Melee so it has nothing to do with Snake.
It wasn't as high as it was back in brawl due to fact that 3rd parties were a pipe dream. When Nintendo started doing those polls for characters in brawl they allowed 3rd parties to be voted for as long as they have had a game on Nintendo platforms before. I don't think they allowed that in Melee.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/928518-super-smash-bros-brawl/40963142
read this.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
[
That's true. As well as excluding ridley and mewtwo being one of samurai's biggest mistakes. However, despite that, smash is obviously still doing amazing without those characters (not to mention this conversation is heading into subjective territory). Yes it was a mistake to not include other all stars, but I wouldn't say the frame (or it's director is bad for it).

Overall, you have some good points and whether you believe this game (roster or as a whole) is terrible, I just feel it's cause you're not satisfied with the content, which is understandable.

Though at he same time, it doesn't make Nintendo disregarding fans a fact. Seems as if a roster is all a game is to you (and like said, others). If not, then I am truly sorry.
The competitiveness as well he didn't listen to melee fans all that much. The fact there is no L canceling or dash dancing as well as making only a final destination mode with no battlefield variants show he Is clearly ignoring many requests from the community.

As for his director status I want him demoted to a move designer, he is good at that, I also don't mind if he has creative input for the games just not creative control or no change will ever come.

On the whole I'm gonna still but the game as it will be fun but it's definately looking like the least exciting entry in the entire series. It's additions are looking to be subpar compared to melee and brawl.

Dlc might save me from some of my disappointment but it's sakurai he will screw it up or not do it at all. As of now I am completely dehyped.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
[

The competitiveness as well he didn't listen to melee fans all that much. The fact there is no L canceling or dash dancing as well as making only a final destination mode with no battlefield variants show he Is clearly ignoring many requests from the community.

As for his director status I want him demoted to a move designer, he is good at that, I also don't mind if he has creative input for the games just not creative control or no change will ever come.

On the whole I'm gonna still but the game as it will be fun but it's definately looking like the least exciting entry in the entire series. It's additions are looking to be subpar compared to melee and brawl.

Dlc might save me from some of my disappointment but it's sakurai he will screw it up or not do it at all. As of now I am completely dehyped.
Are the subpar additions the roster and gameplay mechanics? And if this is your least favorite, then I respect that. Though I favor ssb4 over the others with 64 as a close second.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You're absolutely right. How dare Sakurai ignore many fans who wanted Shrek and Goku? He needs to step down as the director. We need someone who will listen to the fans and add Shrek and Goku.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Are the subpar additions the roster and gameplay mechanics? And if this is your least favorite, then I respect that. Though I favor ssb4 over the others with 64 as a close second.
Pm is my favorite ATM.

You're absolutely right. How dare Sakurai ignore many fans who wanted Shrek and Goku? He needs to step down as the director. We need someone who will listen to the fans and add Shrek and Goku.
Yet again if you read that is the 10% derp #readmore

Last edited:

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
Its pretty sad he's not returning, he's stupidly unique in both moveset and personality and something for the more mature players.

A lot of the charm for me in smash bros comes from the characters included, not movesets or character balance, I'm
not a competitive player, I dont care about advanced techniques in any fighting game actually, I guess I'm partly in it for the fan-fictiony part, lol. I don't care about competitivity in this sort of game.

Snakes presence in Brawl added to the smash bros incarnation of the characters, the codecs allowed for more information on the characters than what the trophies gave us. And worst of all Slippy wont be making a gadget for Snake!

And damn, the roster is so inconsistent, we're missing characters from both Melee and Brawl.
The inconsistently is what hurts most. back during Melee times, I had so much fun playing Marth against Roy, I'd have such intense and close fights against a friend, he's always been a better player overall, but damn, they were such cool fights.
I was hoping we'd have Roy back, like the dropouts from Brawl would make it back this time.

But seriously, I'm gutted he's not returning, MGS is one of my top ten game franchises (including smash bros).
This is most likely executive meddling, not just "Ech, I don't want X character this time. Get 'em outta here!!", Sakurai is obviously a man of quality and detail and cats, such a developer would not just hand wave arguably the one of the most important inclusions in Brawl.

I had a feeling things would be weird after dropping the high detail on Mario's overalls, you know what they say: "Never trust a plumber with plain trousers".

Getting a bit of topic, but it hurts that Snake got shut down. I'll get over it I suppose.

Top Bottom