• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOURCE: Solid Snake Will Not Return To Smash + More..

Was it a good decision not to add Snake to Smash 4?

• Yes

Votes: 128 37.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 51 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 162 47.5%

• Total voters

MagnesD3

Smash Master
*facepalm* you think he won't direct smash 5 (assuming there will be one in a few years) just because he decided to cut a character lots of people liked. It was almost inevitable from the start Snake would be among the cut characters from Brawl to 4 given how Hideo Kojima hadn't really asked Sakurai to bring him back. Characters getting cut might suck for some of us, but that doesn't mean the current director of smash shouldn't return to make another smash bros game a few years down the road! :facepalm:
I think he wont do smash 5 because he wont be able to think of a new gimmick and he likes those (customization was his one this time and the whole wiiu/3ds thing), heck he didnt even want to do this smash in the first place. I dont think he should be director because he makes way too many questionable decisions and listens more to himself than his fans. I would have no problem if he assisted with character move development though and was used as a creative input but he should not have creative control that is for sure.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Like @Scoliosis Jones I am also going to support Snake for DLC. I loved played as him in Brawl and I miss having him.
Why do I have a feeling the higher ups at Nintendo like Iwata and have at you were involved with the exclusion of Snake?
This. I have a hard time believing that Sakurai would be against Snake returning considering his statement on wanting to return as many veterans as possible. I'm suspecting that we don't have the entire story here.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
This. I have a hard time believing that Sakurai would be against Snake returning considering his statement on wanting to return as many veterans as possible. I'm suspecting that we don't have the entire story here.
Seems contradictory, indeed. Sakurai says he wants to bring as many characters back as possible but drops the possibility of Snake even before the games started development? Doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm not too upset about Snake being cut, though. Yes, he had a very unique moveset and he was one of my favorite characters to play as. His inclusion was great and opened the door to third party characters in this series.

However, the fact he is third party makes him less likely to return than any other veteran.

It's entirely possible that the higher-ups at Nintendo stopped Snake's inclusion in this Smash, given the current business relationship between Nintendo and Konami.

Despite Sakurai being an independent/freelance developer, him working with Nintendo proprieties makes him dependent on Nintendo's decisions about the game. If Nintendo says no to Snake in Smash 4, Sakurai has no choice but to comply.

Similar arguments can be made regarding the inclusion of Pokémon characters, with The Pokémon Company having a word on the content it gets included.

Last edited:

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I like Snake (moreso Big Boss) and Metal Gear, and I enjoyed playing him in Brawl, but I knew he wasn't coming back before Brawl even came out. And he has no logical reason to considering the fact Konami's not even sort of close with Nintendo anymore.

They don't release any of their big games on 3DS/Wii U or even tailor made one-offs anymore. We didn't get MGS HD or anything, Snake's only appearances on Nintendo platforms since NES have been remakes/ports of older games & party games. Snake also has a lot less to do with Nintendo than the other 3rd parties. Pac-Man & Sonic were Mario rivals & Mega Man has a huge Nintendo history. The only Konami characters who really belong are Simon Belmont or Hudson's Bomberman. They make far more sense.

Now, to reiterate, I loved Snake in Brawl. And I am glad he was there and would not object to seeing him again. But it's not like it doesn't make sense why he's not here.

I really just want to see his moveset live on, if nothing else. A lot of his moves turned into items or got assimilated into various characters (instead of one character).

Personally, I want Raymond Bryce from Disaster, an Advance Wars character, a revised Wolf or someone like that to inherit his moves, but oh well.

Zol

Smash Apprentice
i was hoping they'd bring in Old Snake with a moveset consisting of nothing but him breaking his hip and scuffing down pain pills

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
I was hoping they'd replace pit with snake last minute, with a potd stating "I regret my decisions, so pulled the character no one cared about and replaced him with one that was /kinda/ cool"

"AND FURTHERMORE, i've also cut dark pit and replaced him with Blood Falcon."

Zol

Smash Apprentice
I was hoping they'd replace pit with snake last minute, with a potd stating "I regret my decisions, so pulled the character no one cared about and replaced him with one that was /kinda/ cool"

"AND FURTHERMORE, i've also cut dark pit and replaced him with Blood Falcon."
"POTD: Here's a picture of me deleting Paletuna from the game"

Crescendo

Smash Journeyman
Blame Konami for not even trying to push the MGS series on Nintendo consoles, aside of an awful 3DS port.
Nintendo won't advertize games on concurrent consoles forever.

Zol

Smash Apprentice
Followed by a PotD the next day consisting of nothing but a pic of a Kratos model with an upload bar beneath it.
"i realize Kid Icarus: Uprising was just God of War for 7-year-olds, so here's a picture of me with a rice ball in my mouth and giving a thumbs up as i replace every Kid Icarus character with Kratos, black Kratos and Transvestite Kratos"

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
"i realize Kid Icarus: Uprising was just God of War for 7-year-olds, so here's a picture of me with a rice ball in my mouth and giving a thumbs up as i replace every Kid Icarus character with Kratos, black Kratos and Transvestite Kratos"
I find it funny how PSA managed to make Evil Cole, who was literally the same person as cole, into a more varied fighter than sakurai did with Black pit.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Snake was, and still is, my favorite 3rd party inclusion. Sure, I think Mega Man and Sonic deserve it more given their ties with Nintendo, but Snake was no doubt the most fun to play as. I don't get how Sakurai can say that being unique is the most important character trait, but then proceed to cut the most unique character he has ever created, that's pretty hypocritical. Sure, he doesn't fit in, but that's another thing I loved about his inclusion, he was the odd one out.

Sakurai can try all day and night coming up with unique characters and surprise characters, but I doubt he'll ever reach what he did with Snake, at least he didn't manage to do so this installment. I'm finding myself disagreeing more and more with Sakurai lately than I have ever done, even if the game looks great there are so many frustrating decisions that have been made, at this rate I wouldn't really mind if he took a break from the next installment, I believe the things that are great about the game can be achieved by someone else.

Last edited:

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
LOL now we have Shulk and dem boxers. I want Snake back too, but I think Nintendo is going for an E10 rating on this one. They wanna sell the amiibos to kids.... and me.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I do not buy this "sakurai never considered him" bull****. I guess it was a cover up.
Maybe Nintendo will realize they can make some good money off snake and try to get him as DLC.

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
I don't understand this reaction -_-. Seems pretty obvious that it's a rights issue from a character not Nintendo owned, and not a personal choice from Sakurai.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
*facepalm* you think he won't direct smash 5 (assuming there will be one in a few years) just because he decided to cut a character lots of people liked. It was almost inevitable from the start Snake would be among the cut characters from Brawl to 4 given how Hideo Kojima hadn't really asked Sakurai to bring him back. Characters getting cut might suck for some of us, but that doesn't mean the current director of smash shouldn't return to make another smash bros game a few years down the road! :facepalm:
People said the same thing after Melee final roster was revealed... and they said the same thing after Brawl final roster was revealed... and they are saying the same thing now that SSB4 final roster is revealed. I guess Sakurai has always been the worst director and his best work was Smash 64 apparently. :rolleyes:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
People said the same thing after Melee final roster was revealed... and they said the same thing after Brawl final roster was revealed... and they are saying the same thing now that SSB4 final roster is revealed. I guess Sakurai has always been the worst director and his best work was Smash 64 apparently. :rolleyes:
Honestly, the only reason he won't be directing it is if Miyamoto and/or Iwata doesn't allow him to. Plain and simple.

I don't agree with all of his decisions, but he has made each game amazing as hell none the less. :grin:

the8thark

Smash Lord
This is just another cut we have to deal with. Like Roy and co in the past. Amazing (in Smash) characters get cut. We just have to deal with it.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Just to be clear, the article is saying that "Snake is cut from Smash forever"?

If so, then damn.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just to be clear, the article is saying that "Snake is cut from Smash forever"?

If so, then damn.
Somehow I have a hard time believing that. But being from "Fox News" means the ovearll thing is best taken with a grain of salt.

...You can get enough salt from some people on this thread. :p

thelastreplicant

Smash Cadet
NNID
thelastreplicant
3DS FC
3480-2884-6458
Sorry, I'm not gonna take something that Fox Weekly said about Smash seriously.

Also I'm sad when any character is cut from Smash (especially Snake) but that doesn't mean Sakurai shouldn't be making the next installment because of that. Smash is already selling like hotcakes in Japan and will continue to do so abroad.

Sakurai won't be leaving Smash anytime soon.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I'm in the group that felt Snake never belonged in smash bros.

I have no connection to the character at all.

I enjoyed his codecs and Kirby's Snake hat and that's all.

That said, I wish he was in over Dark Pit or Dr. Mario...:urg:

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
I miss Snake, and while I didn't play as him often, I really wish he had returned. For me, he didn't "fit in" to Smash, but...he....did?
I dunno. In my eyes Snake looked out of place, but he still fit in just fine. If Smash was a family photo, Snake was the grumpy uncle who still had a soft side.
I'll just hope he returns as DLC.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Actually brawl had a great roster its just a bunch of idiots that complained super hard about it.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I loved it. So many reps for so many franchises it was fantastic. Tbh the only ones who complained were the dumb krystal fans who were mad about wolf and ridley fans (they have a right to be mad about this character). And of course idiots. I thought it wast the best roster ever, too bad the gameplay/balance was garbage. (I also feel you are super biased towards this roster since your fav got in.)

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
welp this means that Sakurai lied about wanting to bring everyone back.
Not really, he said in a similar interview that they did not have time to bring every character from the series back. With Snake being a 3rd party there was always a risk of him less likely to return. I'm surprised this is as big of a shock to people as it is being made out to be.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I loved it. So many reps for so many franchises it was fantastic. Tbh the only ones who complained were the dumb krystal fans who were mad about wolf and ridley fans (they have a right to be mad about this character). And of course idiots. I thought it wast the best roster ever, too bad the gameplay/balance was garbage. (I also feel you are super biased towards this roster since your fav got in.)
Okay, let's see what I did not get in SSB4:
- no Toad
- no Tingle
- no Impa
- no decloned Ganondorf
- no decloned Toon Link
- no Dixie Kong
- no Donkey Kong Jr.
- no Fusion Suit Samus because I wanted a Samus semi-clone with ice missiles
- no Meowth and he will never be playable ever
- no Starfy
- no Golden Sun rep
- no Advance Wars rep
- no Simon Belmont because I wanted a Captain N reunion
- Lucas cut
- Wolf cut instead of Falco cut
- Ice Climbers cut because I wanted a retro match between IC, G&W, ROB, and DHD

What did I get in SSB4:
- Rosalina who is not a clone of Peach :)
- Bowser Jr. who is not a clone of Bowser :)
- Koopalings!!! :)
- Dr. Mario who is suddenly not a clone of Mario because he still has the tornado :)
- Zelda and Sheik are separate characters :)
- Animal Crossing rep :)
- Little Mac :)
- Miis :troll:
- Mega Man :)
- Pac-Man :)
- Duck Hunt Dog because I never expected this to actually happen for real :awesome:

Instead of focusing on the negative side, I'm only gonna look at the positive side and be happy with what I've got right now.... because nothing lasts forever (unless you still have a N64 with Smash 64, a GCN with Melee, and a Wii with Brawl like I do :awesome:)

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Okay, let's see what I did not get in SSB4:
- no Toad
- no Tingle
- no Impa
- no decloned Ganondorf
- no decloned Toon Link
- no Dixie Kong
- no Donkey Kong Jr.
- no Fusion Suit Samus because I wanted a Samus semi-clone with ice missiles
- no Meowth and he will never be playable ever
- no Starfy
- no Golden Sun rep
- no Advance Wars rep
- no Simon Belmont because I wanted a Captain N reunion
- Lucas cut
- Wolf cut instead of Falco cut
- Ice Climbers cut because I wanted a retro match between IC, G&W, ROB, and DHD

What did I get in SSB4:
- Rosalina who is not a clone of Peach :)
- Bowser Jr. who is not a clone of Bowser :)
- Koopalings!!! :)
- Dr. Mario who is suddenly not a clone of Mario because he still has the tornado :)
- Zelda and Sheik are separate characters :)
- Animal Crossing rep :)
- Little Mac :)
- Miis :troll:
- Mega Man :)
- Pac-Man :)
- Duck Hunt Dog because I never expected this to actually happen for real :awesome:

Instead of focusing on the negative side, I'm only gonna look at the positive side and be happy with what I've got right now.... because nothing lasts forever (unless you still have a N64 with Smash 64, a GCN with Melee, and a Wii with Brawl like I do :awesome:)
It's funny because that's a ton of positive things for you when many got nothing positive aka there was nothing for them to be happy about. Also a lot of your wants were unrealistic when most of the people who had realistic wants got the shaft due to sakurai wanting to be surprising.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Woops. Sorry, wrong thread. Carry on.

I'm fine with Snake being cut though, even as an MGS fan. He didn't fit and Konami didn't bother with MGSV GZ or TPP on Wii U. Why should Sakurai or Nintendo care?

Last edited:

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
I almost hope there was executive meddling involved because if Sakurai really didn't even consider Snake despite the fact that he was a completely unique, well-received inclusion then he is a complete and utter fool. No Kojima didn't ask for him to be in this time, but a hell of a lot of Smash fans did. Maybe he is just totally out of touch.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Snake's cut was very likely executive meddling. Come on, it's obvious, especially given how things are between Nintendo and Konami.

Not really, he said in a similar interview that they did not have time to bring every character from the series back. With Snake being a 3rd party there was always a risk of him less likely to return. I'm surprised this is as big of a shock to people as it is being made out to be.
So much this.

Sakurai stated he wanted to bring everyone back, but was aware development time wouldn't be enough to accomplish that. This is what he said. He didn't lie.

As someone who's programmed stuff and still does, I know the feeling of not having enough time to do everything originally planned. It utterly sucks.

All but 10 veterans returned. Out of 44 characters, only 10 didn't return. That's about 3/4 of the intended planning.

But of course it's easier to blame Sakurai for everything because he's such a Lovecraftian horror bent on terrorizing the fans. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Snake's cut was very likely executive meddling. Come on, it's obvious, especially given how things are between Nintendo and Konami.

So much this.

Sakurai stated he wanted to bring everyone back, but was aware development time wouldn't be enough to accomplish that. This is what he said. He didn't lie.

As someone who's programmed stuff and still does, I know the feeling of not having enough time to do everything originally planned. It utterly sucks.

All but 10 veterans returned. Out of 44 characters, only 10 didn't return. That's about 3/4 of the intended planning.

But of course it's easier to blame Sakurai for everything because he's such a Lovecraftian horror bent on terrorizing the fans. :rolleyes:
It's more like he is apathetic towards fans and doesn't really care one way or another.

Top Bottom