• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Source Gaming] Sakurai Discusses Fire Emblem

WARNING: Inside the actual translation, Sakurai does spoil parts of Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War and Fire Emblem: Fates. Source Gaming has added spoiler tags for answers that contains those spoilers, and none are included in this post.

With 6 characters in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, Fire Emblem is playing an increasingly important role in the Super Smash Bros. series. Sakurai took a moment to discuss his own personal history with Fire Emblem in the 25th Anniversary book that was released in Japan. This is the first part of Sakurai's interview from that collection. The second part, which discusses Fire Emblem representation in Smash, can be read here. It was posted before the Final Smash Broadcast.

Interviewer: Please tell us about how you first encountered Fire Emblem.

Sakurai: I think that Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light (henceforth referred to as Shadow Dragon (NES)) was released before I’d spent a year at HAL Labs, and I was really drawn to the spritework and animation. That feeling of satisfaction when a pirate cleanly hits with his axe (laughs).
Interviewer: So Fates has the Birthright route and the Conquest route, which one fit your style?

Sakurai: For me it was clearly the Birthright route. This is just for me, of course, but because I had Fire Emblem Festival, I really had to rush. So I had to really focus a bit more on the story.

Remember to subscribe to Source Gaming on Facebook or Twitter!

Support Source Gaming on patreon!

What are your thoughts on the Fire Emblem series? Let us know in the comments!

It was your fate to follow PushDustIn on Twitter!

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

Sakurai laughs in the interview. Wolf laughs sometimes. Therefore, Wolf confirmed trust me my uncle works for nintendo so

I don't want to look into the series after it's been shoved down my throat so much, Sorry Sakurai. I love ya but I don't like FE... At all.

Glad to see Sakurai is a bit more light-hearted in this interview and this actually shows that a newcomer is sometimes determined by the release date of their game. I can imagine the salt wouldn't be so hard if :4robinm::4lucina: weren't in the game and the end result would be just:4marth::4myfriends::4feroy::4corrin:. There would be some salt over how robin and lucina didn't get in but corrin did and this article answers that question

P.S. Hopefully Sakurai's vision doesn't get any worse

"Inside the actual translation, Sakurai does spoil parts of Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War and Fire Emblem: Fates"

Welp looks like I'll be reading this article in March.

Well then again Sakuari already spoiled that Corrin is part Dragon so hmm.

"Inside the actual translation, Sakurai does spoil parts of Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War and Fire Emblem: Fates"

There is a spoiler tag, so as long as you don't click on it (and it's clearly labelled) then you should be fine!

You find out Corrin is part dragon in like chapter 5 before the route split even happens, so that's not much of a spoiler lol Omega Yato is kind of a spoiler though

The fact that there are as many FE characters as Pokemon characters in Smash 4 (and two of them, being Lucina and Roy, really shouldn't be in the game) is the reason why I probably won't ever play an FE game until at least next generation.

it wasn't really a spoiler because it could be easily seen through the trailers.

And there are actually no spoilers at all in the article

The fact that there are as many FE characters as Pokemon characters in Smash 4 (and two of them, being Lucina and Roy, really shouldn't be in the game) is the reason why I probably won't ever play an FE game until at least next generation.
Why does that bother you? If it's about representation, FE easily has as many if not more characters.

Glad to see Sakurai is a bit more light-hearted in this interview and this actually shows that a newcomer is sometimes determined by the release date of their game. I can imagine the salt wouldn't be so hard if :4robinm::4lucina: weren't in the game and the end result would be just:4marth::4myfriends::4feroy::4corrin:. There would be some salt over how robin and lucina didn't get in but corrin did and this article answers that question

P.S. Hopefully Sakurai's vision doesn't get any worse
I wish it was just Marth. Lucina is awesome in Awakening, but she didn't deserve to get in Smash imo. I am fine with Robin. He's unique.

No Sakurai NO! you don't choose Birthright! you choose Conquest! Conquest has Camilla and Xander...and Camilla!

I'm so happy for :4corrin:(although I am more hyped for :4bayonetta:) I love seeing those salty people who did not get there Banjo and Shovel knight or there Wolf and Snake.

I wish it was just Marth. Lucina is awesome in Awakening, but she didn't deserve to get in Smash imo. I am fine with Robin. He's unique.
She just needed some proper time in the development oven instead of going the easy-bake clone route.

:4marth::4myfriends::4robinm: would've been just fine. Each is unique.
:4corrin: As the sole FE DLC rep.

That would've given us 4 unique FE reps and less salt...as well as better hair color balance.

No Sakurai NO! you don't choose Birthright! you choose Conquest! Conquest has Camilla and Xander...and Camilla!

I'm so happy for :4corrin:(although I am more hyped for :4bayonetta:) I love seeing those salty people who did not get there Banjo and Shovel knight or there Wolf and Snake.
If you love seeing people's frustration... thats kinda messed up. Imagine if you were in their shoes; hoping for a character but not getting it... I feel for those people. I absolutely LOVE Fire Emblem, but I would have been happy for King K Rool, Wolf, Snake, etc.

D
I really don't mind Corrin's inclusion because he has unique traits separating him from the other sword characters. That and he's pretty cool. Who doesn't love dragons?

I personally feel that only mistake that was made regarding Fire Emblem in Smash4 was the inclusion of Lucina as a separate character. She, along with Chrom, should have been alternate "costumes" for Marth similar to the Koopalings. They would have exactly the same moveset and stats as Marth, and they don't get their own slot on the select screen, but they have aesthetic differences such as different voice actors, taunts, idle animations, on-screen appearances, trophies, etc. that don't affect actual gameplay.

This would have caused much less salt over the Fire Emblem characters while still allowing people to play as their preferred swordsman.

And for the record, if it was up to me, I would have done the same thing with Dark Pit and Dr. Mario.

Last edited by a moderator:
She just needed some proper time in the development oven instead of going the easy-bake clone route.

:4marth::4myfriends::4robinm: would've been just fine. Each is unique.
:4corrin: As the sole FE DLC rep.

That would've given us 4 unique FE reps and less salt...as well as better hair color balance.
Exactly. When I first heard Lucina had no tipper properties I was hyped because I thought she was supposed to be balanced unlike Marth who has "lol Tipper F-Smash" and "These sourspots all over my blade that are only useful to lightly push people to the Tipper Killers."

I mean, seriously, Marth's Falchion could've been changed to a lance and I wouldn't mind because it would play the same.

But then I looked at Lucina's moves and they were pretty much the same of Marth's Sourspots. Why bother making a flawed character like that?

So, yeah...

The bias is strong is confirmed...

Sakurai, is one thing to like one franchise a lot but AT LEAST give the others a CHANCE...!

Idk why people are saying he's biased now even though last interview he admitted that he scratched his head at having another FE character sure he played the game and the voice actors love him but that doesn't mean you ignore a fact and make some unsupported claim about how this is the "Sakurai Bias" happening. All he's doing is just answering questions of how they got in. It was through CHARACTER VARIETY at the time and not bias the same seems to apply now with :4corrin:

Last edited:
If you love seeing people's frustration... thats kinda messed up. Imagine if you were in their shoes; hoping for a character but not getting it... I feel for those people. I absolutely LOVE Fire Emblem, but I would have been happy for King K Rool, Wolf, Snake, etc.
I voted Sora and Ice climbers. I wasn't even almost mad when none were announced. your making it sound like I'm a terrible person or something. But that's the internet I guess.

I feel like some people aren't really grateful with what they have. I understand not being completely happy with the results of the ballot, but I know tons of people who are saying they are going to quit smash because Snake did not get in. Its just kind of funny in a way. Its sad that they did not get what they wanted, but I just don't like the complaining.

Last edited:
your making it sound like I'm a terrible person or something.
People who revel in others' disappointment usually are.

I feel like some people aren't really grateful with what they have.
Most people's first reaction to getting slapped in the face isn't wanting to thank the person who slapped them.

Last edited:
I believe 5 FE characters is fine. 6 is too much. Roy shouldn't have been part of Smash 4 at all.

He's the absolute worst FE lord for the absolute worst FE game. 5 dollars for a clone, when one is already available with the game?

No one actually fell for that...right? You do make good use of your hard earned money...right? Like buying Corrin, for example. Brand new and unique character.

Last edited:
People who revel in others' disappointment usually are.

Most people's first reaction to getting slapped in the face isn't wanting to thank the person who slapped them.
If you want to antagonize me then that's fine. I'm not going to lose sleep over a little argument like this.

I believe 5 FE characters is fine. 6 is too much. Roy shouldn't have been part of Smash 4 at all.

He's the absolute worst FE lord for the absolute worst FE game. 5 dollars for a clone, when one is already available with the game?

No one actually fell for that...right? You do make good use of your hard earned money...right? Like buying Corrin, for example. Brand new and unique character.
Roy is kind of unique, He has some new things added to him and he looks different. I think if they were to remove a FE character it would be :4lucina:. I like her and all, but she's just :4marth: honestly.

I still see your point though.

More than anger, it is DISSAPOINTING. I see why would Corrin would be chosen and don't blame him for it since he seems like a cool character, but still...

Can't help but think that FE is a favorite of his...

If you want to antagonize me then that's fine. I'm not going to lose sleep over a little argument like this.
It's more of bring in the light of your comments, which is little to no sense. You're pretty much making a circle for complaining to continue.

Top Bottom