• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sound Effects Guide - Now Stop Hassling me.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
OK, I fixed the problem with my BRSAR (my ISO is corrupt or.. something. Whatever).

Now, you said the filesize and length, etc, have to be the same, but is it possible to bypass that limitation, perhaps by editing the Sound entries? I don't care if it's a massive undertaking, as long as it can be done.

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
Wind, you don't understand how much work would go into making 1 sound effect longer. Well with my estimation, you would be editing 20000 (that's like the minimum, it could even go higher) pointers. And if you screw up 1, you'd have to start all over again.

PikaEd

Smash Rookie
May I please have some help here?

I have all of the necessary files, but Smashbox refuses to to export (BrawlBox never gave me this trouble though.)

Is it because I'm running on a x64 bit Vista or is it something else?

If that is the reason, is there anything I can do about it.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
I tried using 64 bit Vista and Smashbox would give me the error mentioned by spikedog767 and NikoPunkSUPEERMAARIO. I then tried it on a 32 bit OS (Microsoft XP Pro) and it (smashbox v0.57) worked flawlessly. Try using a 32 bit computer. I'd test if you need Windows or not but they are the only OSes I have.

I hope this helps.

-matein10
It seems you're out of luck for now.

Joe T.E.

Smash Rookie
Hey ...:::VILE:::..., I actually had managed to do this process successfully numerous times, but the sounds would become glitched each time, like you said you were having trouble with back when you were first working on this guide. However, I just found a fix for that problem, so that imported sounds do not become glitched/crackly.

The problem was caused by the importing of the newsound.spt file's data. Due to how badly I've wanted to edit .brsars, plus my analytical nature, I looked at everything I did in each step, and managed to pinpoint where the problem starts. Basically, the .spt files made by sndconv.exe are not formatted in the same way as the ones in the .brsar. So after I did a test of adding, removing, and rearranging various values in the .spt file to make it's formatting similar to the ones that you replace, I managed to finally get an imported sound to not glitch up. So it seems that like other game's .mdl0 files, .spt files have to be hexed in order to work.

I'll try and make a small guide on how to hex the spt files to work in Brawl's format ASAP. I also plan to get Brawl on my USB Loader(I have the ISO already) to record footage of the altered sound I did the test with being played in the game.

EDIT:
After a little more testing, I found that editing the spt file is actually not needed either.
Basically...

Everything highlighted in this pic is basically garbage and not to be put into the brsar.

Everything highlighted in black in this second pic is all that needs to be removed. Once removed, just replace it with everything not highlighted in the first pic.

That is literally all that's needed to make the sounds not glitch up in the brsar. I also loaded up an iso with the edited files to check if I did everything right, and the sounds I put in did not glitch up at all and sounded perfect.
Once I put in some more sounds, I'll start recording some video of the edited sounds in action.

Smash Ace
Hey ...:::VILE:::..., I actually had managed to do this process successfully numerous times, but the sounds would become glitched each time, like you said you were having trouble with back when you were first working on this guide. However, I just found a fix for that problem, so that imported sounds do not become glitched/crackly.

The problem was caused by the importing of the newsound.spt file's data. Due to how badly I've wanted to edit .brsars, plus my analytical nature, I looked at everything I did in each step, and managed to pinpoint where the problem starts. Basically, the .spt files made by sndconv.exe are not formatted in the same way as the ones in the .brsar. So after I did a test of adding, removing, and rearranging various values in the .spt file to make it's formatting similar to the ones that you replace, I managed to finally get an imported sound to not glitch up. So it seems that like other game's .mdl0 files, .spt files have to be hexed in order to work.

I'll try and make a small guide on how to hex the spt files to work in Brawl's format ASAP. I also plan to get Brawl on my USB Loader(I have the ISO already) to record footage of the altered sound I did the test with being played in the game.

EDIT:
After a little more testing, I found that editing the spt file is actually not needed either.
Basically...

Everything highlighted in this pic is basically garbage and not to be put into the brsar.

Everything highlighted in black in this second pic is all that needs to be removed. Once removed, just replace it with everything not highlighted in the first pic.

That is literally all that's needed to make the sounds not glitch up in the brsar. I also loaded up an iso with the edited files to check if I did everything right, and the sounds I put in did not glitch up at all and sounded perfect.
Once I put in some more sounds, I'll start recording some video of the edited sounds in action.
Its the same method as my guide, but i just replace the whole header file, not just the important data. My sounds never come out glitched, you must have followed my guide wrong.

Daakun

Smash Apprentice
I got a few of those small grunt noises changed out, but the sound size limit really hampers anything major. :/

stickman

Smash Apprentice
Stickman did. He recorded him saying Stickman (sounds really wierd) and put it over Captain falcon when he says FALCON! . STICKMAN PAUWUNCH!
Yeah, but that was mostly my own research instead of the guide... I'm not saying I didn't look at the guide (because I did :) ), but I had it 75% done before the guide was released, and I didn't know what step I was at, so I just did my own thing and got it to work.

I admit I was trying to beat VILE to making a guide but he beat me to it :laugh:

Smash Ace
Ive known for a while how to replace sounds, its just the crackly-ness was getting in the way (and i had a theory on why it was doing it, but i cbf checking it out). I came back and found out that i was right and i replaced some sounds. I wrote the guide in 1 sitting coz everyone was getting all up me about it.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I have all the unused clips from SA2, and that is NOT among any of them. No one else I've seen with them or those who have posted them up in various places, even on YouTube has it either, so either we're all somehow miraculously missing it, or you're full of ****. XD

...Then again, knowing my luck, it's the first one. ¦D;

Deicard

Smash Rookie
May I please have some help here?

I have all of the necessary files, but Smashbox refuses to to export (BrawlBox never gave me this trouble though.)

Is it because I'm running on a x64 bit Vista or is it something else?

If that is the reason, is there anything I can do about it.

Those of you which are running on x64 of Windows editions; I've used smashbox, brawlbox and smashscape on Vista (x32/x64) along with XP (x32/x64) and it works fine. Make sure you have .NET Framework which is offered by Microsoft, preferably the newest edition..

Otherwise, there is something matter with some of the files you are attempting to edit. That or I have no idea, thus far everything I've edited has not error'ed out unless I've made a mistake in the process I was working with or trying to follow someone else instructions.

PikaEd

Smash Rookie

Those of you which are running on x64 of Windows editions; I've used smashbox, brawlbox and smashscape on Vista (x32/x64) along with XP (x32/x64) and it works fine. Make sure you have .NET Framework which is offered by Microsoft, preferably the newest edition..

Otherwise, there is something matter with some of the files you are attempting to edit. That or I have no idea, thus far everything I've edited has not error'ed out unless I've made a mistake in the process I was working with or trying to follow someone else instructions.
I have the latest version (3.5 SP1), I even tried reinstalling it. But still every time I try to view the "Waves" folder, I get this...
[Click to see full image if needed]

As for the file I ripped it of my own disc. I even DL the one from the Brawl Files Thread.

Captain Kwark

Smash Apprentice
I did it! Ryan Drummond is succesfully in Brawl. I even changed the Wii-mote character select sound.
The only problem is the volume, some sounds are way too low. I will try upload a video of it in the weekend.

ds22

Smash Lord
Ok, I got it to work with only editing the Wavegroup.rwsd.
When I tried to put the edited Soundgroup back it, Smashbox chashed while not doing that, it didn't crash and worked ingame.
Aside from being a tiny bit metallic sounding, it sounds fine (could be a little louder though).
I'll maybe post a vid of it.
EDIT: Uploaded the vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8uEpg2vCp8

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
EDIT: Sorry about that outburst, just really frustrated...

Where do I find a download for the Wii SDK files? Google didn't turn up anything, except for the fact that the SDK files are now supposedly open to the public.

When ever I go to Cp and type "sndconv.exe newsound.txt" it says: "ssndconv.exe v1.2
Sound converter for Dolphin AX sound player.
Copyright 2001 Nintendo Technology Development, Inc."

Error loading DLL

WTF!!!!ERROR LOADIND DLL?That happens everytime.

Pokechao

Smash Apprentice
can someone make a shadow css call over marth's? i ported shadow over marth

AceSe3don

Smash Ace
When ever I go to Cp and type "sndconv.exe newsound.txt" it says: "ssndconv.exe v1.2
Sound converter for Dolphin AX sound player.
Copyright 2001 Nintendo Technology Development, Inc."

Error loading DLL

WTF!!!!ERROR LOADIND DLL?That happens everytime.
Uhh... Yeah...
There are some .dll files in the archive where you got this sndconv.exe, get them in there.

Man I wish SFX editing was less complex... I tried 3 times and failed all of 'em..
Tried getting one of Mewtwo's sounds in there but the first one sounded... pretty noisy...
The other two froze Smashbox.
But I guess I'll try till I get it right.

EDIT: Just made it perfect!
NO stupid fuzz sound!
I used This!
Thanks Vile and Joe! And I think Vile should put what Joe said in the First post.
Now I have Mewtwo's side B sound when he goes like "Naayee!"
Everything looks good so far.. But I think we need to find a specific value that matches the game's volume.. Cause when I tried Mewtwo's stuff it turns out they're pretty low.

maltes

Smash Cadet
isn't it possible to write a program in order to make this easier and automatic?

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
We need a new BrawlBox with SFX importing. However, the latest mission is to get custom models to save.

** Ace **

Smash Cadet
Where do I find Sndconv.exe ? I searched for google but didnt find anything

Top Bottom