• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOTW Competitions?

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Well, I just participated in my first SOTW (Signature of the Week) at AiB and I think they've been very successful at coordinating the competitions. What would you guys think if SWF adopted this idea?

AlmightyJeebus

Smash Lord
It's a pretty cool concept and if SWF were to take it on and tweak it just a little, it would be an awesome addition to Smashboards

A_man13

Smash Master
It would be a good idea. It would have to be cordnated by some people if it were to happen.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Well, I just participated in my first SOTW (Signature of the Week) at AiB and I think they've been very successful at coordinating the competitions. What would you guys think if SWF adopted this idea?
It is a good idea.

I just hate going to AiB because everyone just votes for their friends, never for who's is the best.

:shakes head:

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
It is a good idea.

I just hate going to AiB because everyone just votes for their friends, never for who's is the best.

:shakes head:
That's the n00b way of voting.

And i've already sent a PM to FDV about this, since he's a mod over this section. I brought it up before this topic, because I think it could be a great practice for all of us sig makers, and if we get a big enough following, we could have some pretty stiff competition. :)

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
That's the n00b way of voting.

And i've already sent a PM to FDV about this, since he's a mod over this section. I brought it up before this topic, because I think it could be a great practice for all of us sig makers, and if we get a big enough following, we could have some pretty stiff competition. :)
i was just about to send a pm to FDV too, lol. it would be great if he approved of this.

A_man13

Smash Master
The only flaw with that plan is that most peoples style is idetible. I could easily tell O D I N's apart from DoomDragons apart from blackwaltz apart from whoever.

AlmightyJeebus

Smash Lord
Well, if you think about it, you could fix that by making awesome sigs and scramble the names. Like Aman makes a sig, but his name is swapped for doom's, but people will know that's not his style and won't think twice about who he's swapped with, sorta like in internal conflict thing.

Samochan

Smash Master
Sotw is generally fun, since it allows for diversity and a great way to practice many styles. PS 5.5 is not really good for it however, since it lacks some features to make lines, for example. Then we need to work out how we select the sotw theme for each week. I already have some ideas for themes:

Minimalistic
Black and White
Games
Smash
Abstract
Background Only
Filters Only
Collab
Seasons
Landscape

...And so on.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
i contacted thundermistress this morning to see if she would allow SOTW, so now we just wait.

i also have some ideas (note: some/most were taken from AiB)
video games
music (bands, instruments, etc)
real people
abstract

and i also like those ideas that samochan noted.

A_man13

Smash Master
Good. This will be fun. Now I just need to get better at making sigs and (hopefully, probably a never) get higher into the rankings.

For ideas...

I got nothing.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
dont know yet, thundermistress is on vacation right now and i need her permission to officially host a proper SOTW.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Ugh, I guess since there seems to be a new batch of sig fanatics around you can go ahead with it, but I'm not running it...

Oh, and thankyou for waiting to check about it first instead of going ahead with it yourself. :)

plural

Smash Journeyman
yayz. which by the way, if you type it incorrectly, it goes to usux. one letter to the right and its completely different....

Gflare

Smash Journeyman
Haven´t been around for much, but I totally agree with the idea and would help host it if you guys need me.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
FDV's permission works too :). ok, i'll get started on organizing it and i'll post the first theme plus rules on saturday.

lordunicorn3

Smash Journeyman
The only flaw with that plan is that most peoples style is idetible. I could easily tell O D I N's apart from DoomDragons apart from blackwaltz apart from whoever.
yes, the artists could, but if we got some of the people who dont know the artists styles, maybe some how get the rest of the site involved, they would have no idea...

oh, and sweet, i cant wait

and, i have an idea for 1 pokemon sprites which i have taken a liking to recently

ok, last idea, do one where you have to focus on using one tool from photoshop/gimp
eg. pentool, gradients ect.

A_man13

Smash Master
Wow, this got off the ground fast. So here is what I think the rules should be:

The entrants are given a theme, be it abstract sigs, Mod requests, Sprite sigs, etc.. Since the theme will be given on saturday, I think that the entrantants will have untill the theme change to make a sig. The voting is held a few days (3-5) and whoever gets the most vote wins.

And another question: will there be a prize distributed; an icon to add to the winners sig, Voice in the next theme, or something?

lordunicorn3

Smash Journeyman
The entrants are given a theme, be it abstract sigs, Mod requests, Sprite sigs, etc.. Since the theme will be given on saturday, I think that the entrantants will have untill the theme change to make a sig. The voting is held a few days (3-5) and whoever gets the most vote wins.

And another question: will there be a prize distributed; an icon to add to the winners sig, Voice in the next theme, or something?
i like that, but what would be used for an image,
also, there could be one for the runner up maybe,
and if you had, say 2 wins, maybe you could get a differet one

plural

Smash Journeyman
Hm, how is the voting going to be held? Some places vote for the best one, but i think aib votes for top 3...

Also, maybe start a hall of fame with the winning signatures, along with a leaderboard?

The leaderboard could be points you get for finishing 1st 2nd or 3rd in sotw's. i dunno about point values for each.

Gflare

Smash Journeyman
There´s a really cool variation to the sotw, it´s like that in another forum I go to. People form 3-man teams (could be just partners if you´d rather), and the sotw goes on as usual. You can´t vote for your team mate or yourself, and there´s a sticky thread with the leaderboard. You combine the number of wins from all the members of each team in order to see which team is best. Then there´s also the individual leaderboard, on the same thread, for the individual member with the most wins. You could go on from that, and personally, I like it better like this than the usual way. Loads of fun, trust me.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
on AiB, we're switching to judging by 11 judges. the moderators appointed judges based on skill and reputation. however, i dont think we have enough people to constitute an unbiased judging group. there are only about 15 people who frequent these boards.

but im thinking of sticking with the original AiB voting process, which is: voting for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.
1st place = 3 points, 2nd place = 2 points, 3rd place = 1 point. then at the end whoever has the most votes wins. in the event of a tie, whoever has the most first place votes wins.
we'll see what FDV and thundermistress have to say about this before an official SOTW gets going.

lordunicorn3

Smash Journeyman
There´s a really cool variation to the sotw, it´s like that in another forum I go to. People form 3-man teams (could be just partners if you´d rather), and the sotw goes on as usual. You can´t vote for your team mate or yourself, and there´s a sticky thread with the leaderboard. You combine the number of wins from all the members of each team in order to see which team is best. Then there´s also the individual leaderboard, on the same thread, for the individual member with the most wins. You could go on from that, and personally, I like it better like this than the usual way. Loads of fun, trust me.
I like that
Aman. If it does happen. Let's make a team with one other from the old shop

A_man13

Smash Master
Everyones idea is good; I'm just wondering when the contest would end if we did Waltz idea. Gflare has a good idea, but A) we wouldn't have enough participants and B) someone will be put out of the contest immedietly.

Gflare

Smash Journeyman
Someone would be put out of the contest? Why? If you mean there´s an odd number of people, they can go solo if they want. About the not enough participants thing, I sort of agree. Maybe make 2-man teams instead? We could possibly combine both, do the voting like Waltz suggests, but implement the teams? Just throwing some ideas out, it´s Waltz who´s hosting, so he decides. Voting could possibly go on for 3-4 days\ a week?

A_man13

Smash Master
I'm not entirely sure.

If we were to do teams, it will most likely be Doom or one of my former shop owners (Lord being most likely). Any voulunteers?

Gflare

Smash Journeyman
Lets what the host thinks of the idea before y´all team up...

Top Bottom