• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOS Presents: Justice! featuring Melee! - June 8th -... - June 8th, 2013 - Scarsdale, NY

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
This rain here in NY is a putting a stomp on our TV transportation. We'll probably wrap the TVs in garbage bags or something.

Darktooth77

Smash Rookie
tournament was really fun, first one I've ever been to and I had a blast making it to bracket and losing to Mofo :p

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
this was a priy gud tournament. shoutouts from a stream monster:

LOL @ mattdotzeb. mental ******.

swiftbass, for the umpteenth time, your marth/sheik are hella mediocre. your fox is really good. man up, stop copping out, start 100% maining fox. you might take some short-term Ls but you'll be much better off long-term. guarantee you would become a heavy hitter within a year.

zoso's priy good, although again, his fox >> his marf.

too bad dj nintendo didn't enter singles. would've been a lot more hype matches.

that ramen noodles thing is pretty awesome. very slick. but that maury **** is zomg awful. straight up AIDS. please give that one up.

commentary became full-blown ebola when you guys put the little kid on the mic spamming a wannabe dumb ass catch phrase. insta mute.

overall though great stream, worth watching because of MATTHEW ZAMBOROWSKI LMAOOOOO.

for the uninitiated the dude is m2k with a tenth of the talent. the definition of a frontrunner. can only play melee when he has a lead. insta panics every time momentum goes against him. does awful insta forward bs toward center stage and double lasers, the panic recovery every bad falco does when under duress.

spams fsmash like a dashiawia n00b.

but all of these things are minor discrepancies. at the actual game he's a pretty decent falco. what's LMAO is that all you have to do to beat him is to get a stock lead. he'll do the rest and choke and quit and have a temper tantrum. he goes from beating the moon's marth toward quitting out v zoso's marth. and then he quits again v someone else's marth in losers (forgot who). stay far far away from me, i don't want your WIL to potentially infect me.

switftbass's fox tore up losers. dang was really rooting for you to

SPOILER

SPOILER

beat hax$ that set of GF. you were on some west coast 'oh you mad 'cuz i'm stylin' on you' lovage shenanigans circa 2009. i like your jumping up from the ledge to waveland on that right platform on yoshi's.

zoso (fox) v hax$ was also pretty sick. oh and nice comeback v i think zoso's marth? think it was swiftbass (sheik) v zoso (marth). your sheik is fraudulent but that doesn't mean it wasn't a legit comeback. i could feel the salt thru the screen. dat chokesies.

all you NE/NY foxes need to work on shine oos tho. your shine oos is non-existent. it pwns everything. brush up son. that way you won't be so afraid of falcos and will stop copping out to marth.

S l o X

Smash Champion
i tell tim that all the time but he 'loves' marth too much. i also tell him how bad his sheik is but he still tries to play it. :/

i don't think he took a set off hax in singles but in doubles we did. lol matt is matt.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
swiftbass, for the umpteenth time, your marth/sheik are hella mediocre. your fox is really good. man up, stop copping out, start 100% maining fox. you might take some short-term Ls but you'll be much better off long-term. guarantee you would become a heavy hitter within a year.
I keep telling him that!

zoso's priy good, although again, his fox >> his marf.
Thanks man. And yeah Marth is super hit or miss for me.

all you NE/NY foxes need to work on shine oos tho. your shine oos is non-existent. it pwns everything. brush up son. that way you won't be so afraid of falcos and will stop copping out to marth.
My out of shield is amazing, hold my ****.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
My shiek/marth are a physiological need given my current amount of time to practice and my current amount of stamina. Alot of the time I want to play just one character and I've been there before many times , trust me. I guarantee you that my fox would have not played that well if I had been using him all day. Also, there was a match off stream that I would've exerted a lot of my fox skill on prior to my run in losers.(vs a pretty good samus in which I used shiek). Also my fox does not have a good history vs OTG so bodying him with shiek(shots) was much easier and let me focus more. To play fox takes lots of focus and energy, shiek and marth help me alleviate that stress(for lack of a better term "take a break"). I beat a samus/doc easily with shiek where my fox would've struggled. Perhaps I should've played fox only vs zoso, but I've been taking my licks and short term Ls for a while my friend. I've have a long time to think about it and my placing at that tourney was because I was able to get passed OTG, MDZ, MAFIA and KNUT(samus) without exerting too much energy.

This is a game of stamina given that most major go for 2.5 days and lots of locals (esp in NY) go on for a rly long time(well at least a long time to me). If I could play fox like how I do when I am fresh and only like 5 games in I would likely play him all of the time but thats not a factor. Trust me, in theory I know my fox is the best character I have and is generally leagues ahead of my other char but my limitations and desires as a player call for a multi character roster. Perhaps I am pushing myself into a multi roster set up and calling it a limitation but I can't argue with my results form that 5 week span of tourneys every weekend. Perhaps if my results go unchanged or dwindle a bit I can go back to strictly fox(I am open to everything), but playing him straight in tourney all of the time for 5-6 years has taught me alot about myself and about others. This change whether its good or bad was needed for me to grow as a player overall.

/rant

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
That's a fair point. The whole tournaments being a test of endurance and not skill is why tournament placings / wins and losses ceased being my main motivation. That explanation also ties in with my belief that the more disciplined you become at life, the better you become at smash.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
That's a fair point. The whole tournaments being a test of endurance and not skill is why tournament placings / wins and losses ceased being my main motivation..
Yeah man I looked at my play and the play of others who I feel are my level and a tad bit higher. I noticed that alot of the good mid level guys could take a major or have good sets with the big dogs. Its just a matter of the mental state and their current level of exhaustion. The top guys do a lot of good stuff but not too much that the mid-high level guys can't keep up. The top guys are generally more level headed in pressure and execute late in the tourney the best. Not taking shots or anything but its easier to stay top if you reach that level. How many friendlies/casuals you see Dr. PP/Mango(m2k is like the only exception, I mean literally the robot exception)play with randoms or even mid level guys....not very many. They are inclined to save their energy and play among each other briefly while the rest of us mid-mid/high level players seek to get good games, practice (and most importantly) sharpen our skills against other mid-high level guys(that we cant find in our region).

With myself and others Ive talked to, there is always the dilemma that touches upon discipline.

The mid-high players generally are deprived from many good players around them to build upon so when the big tourneys come they reach out to all of the mid-high guys to practice. Thats how they get better to face the top guys however, most players in that shuffle lack discipline to approach the tourney as a whole while attaining that training from the casuals.

example:
-playing too long where its autopilot
-not eating
-fall into habits
-goofing around with falcon punch etc etc
-focusing on how well you do in casuals(not looking at big picture)

You essentially want to get better from the casuals to take with you into bracket but it often turns into a sacrifice of resources and logic.."lack of discipline".

Is it a fruitless battle? No eventually if you play enough and get lucky with a few matchups/sets you can gain some good exp but its DEF a largeer grind as a mid-high player than some may think and its very easy to get stuck in that majority. Is that bad? maybe not to some....being able to make bracket at every major is cool to some players and that's all they want. myself, I want to be able to play my best against anyone and compete. For me, this game is a battle against myself as well as vs my opponents.

we'll see what happens at EVO!

That explanation also ties in with my belief that the more disciplined you become at life, the better you become at smash.
I agree. Ive gotten better in my age. Now its really just a matter of time vs work and other social stuff. If the time is there Im golden

P.S I've been playing more fox and I played in a small tourney this weekend. literally focused on shine oos the whole time. SOOOOOOOOOO USEFUL

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Fully agreed. It's so easy to fall into that trap of "I'm good, I've been practicing, let me show everyone how much better I've got! Let me be that Fox who does the cool-but-effective thing few others do!"

I'm starting to conquer that by focusing on one primary thing I want to get better on, and focusing solely on that, often to the (short-term) detriment of wins/losses. Shine OOS is a great example; the marginal benefit from being able to shine OOS 90% of the time, to shine OOS 100% of the time, to shine OOS 100% of the time while remaining on the ground and waveshining after? Massive.

Another avenue I see of improving is by not shielding. That's a bad habit even the great players have (although you have to prove you are a threat to them before they start shielding). It's a sign of nervousness, of anxiety, of lack of confidence. If I can train myself to rarely shield in defensive situations, I feel like it'd help sooo much. Not just the obvious benefit of getting pressured less and hit less, but also by putting you in situations to improve your reactions and mix-up skills.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
the shielding theory is right on the money. gotta start treating it like SF where almost everything in your arsenal is an option. Shielding defensively limits you. Everything should be done with a purpose. A good example of someone who shields with a purpose is mango holy crap is he good at that.

I kind of relate that last part to how MDZ plays. I mean everyone knows he likes to Fsmash now but on good days matt can be REALLY unpredictable and knocking him down or putting him in positions where people usually shield can still be scary and leave you without as much control as you thought you had. I can imagine a play style where options perhaps better than the gung-ho fsmash are used to in a way to "use offense as defense" for lack of a better term

Top Bottom